Start by marking “Harvest of Secrets (Wine Country Mysteries, #9)” as Want to Read:
Harvest of Secrets (Wine Country Mysteries, #9)

Harvest of Secrets

(Wine Country Mysteries #9)

The search for the killer of an aristocratic French winemaker who was Lucie Montgomery's first crush and the discovery of dark family secrets put Lucie on a collision course with a murderer.

Published November 6th 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Harvest of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvest of Secrets

Amy
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This the ninth installment of the Wine Country mysteries, set in "horse country" rural Virginia, about 45 minutes from Washington, D.C. Lucie Montgomery's workers find an old skull on her family's vineyard and she wants to investigate whether the remains belong to one of her ancestors. On the adjacent vineyard owned by a former Secretary of State and his long-time partner, Robyn, a prominent French winemaker, the son of a wealthy French baron from Bordeaux, has come into their employ. But he car ...more
Cathy Daniel
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This may be the best one yet! This series just keeps getting better!
Elizabeth
I had begun this series quite some time ago and realized that I had missed a few along the way, so I was happy to read Ms. Crosby's newest in the series.

I was a little concerned that I had missed 2 in the series, but the author had put in enough backstory that I was not confused. The story itself was great and held my attention throughout. I recognized most of the characters.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Nefty123
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ellen brings history, locale and murder together in a way no one else can. Well done.
Georgette
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another solid installment in the Wine Country mystery series. Didn't guess the perp, either.
Stanley McShane
This book captured my interest immediately and never let go. While it is Book 9 of the series, it functioned well as a standalone. No problem sensing protagonist Lucie Montgomery.

A skull is uncovered near the family cemetery by her immigrant workers and Lucie feels a kindred spirit, discovered to have been a young woman. She can't help but delve deeper into the mystery possibly involving family. Having opened Pandora's box, however, she'll be diverted into the history of her family's Civil War e
Lesa
I have a confession to make. I actually sent my copy of Harvest of Secrets by Ellen Crosby to a friend who is a big fan. That means I don't have my copy in front of me to refer to. It feels as if the review is missing something when I don't have the book in hand.

Lucie Montgomery's workers at her Virginia vineyard may be right. It might be unlucky to find a skull. After a shed was destroyed during a storm, two of the men went to clear it. That's when they find a skull buried outside the family c
Melissa
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I started reading this 9th in the series, I thought maybe it was time to be done. But as the book moved on and the backstory mystery fleshed out, I was drawn in my the history. Could be the fact that I had lived in Northern Virginia for a time, so Middleburg and Leesburg were places I had been too. An interesting new family member makes me think the series will continue on.

"It's harvest season at Montgomery Estate Vineyard--the busiest time of year for winemakers in Atoka, Virginia. A skull i
Nancy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Wine Country Mysteries series is not your usual who-done-it; it is also a history lesson of Loudoun County, Virginia, with a mystery thrown into keep your attention.

As the vineyard is preparing for an incoming hurricane, the workers at Montgomery Estate Vineyards unearth a skull that has been buried under a shed outside of the family cemetery. Detailed forensics reveals that the skull, and the rest of the bones, have been there for more than a century, but what is interesting is the quilt t
Sherrie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lucie is busy with harvest season and while her brother, Eli, is looking to build a home for him and his daughter, happens upon a skull while digging. On top of that Jean-Claude is aristocrat is found dead in his winery which happens to be neat Lucie's winery. While all this is going on she finds out that her father had a son with another woman when she was born and she meets up with her half brother. A lot of interwoven history and mystery together but very well put together.
Sue Em
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Lucie Montgomery finds the body of a French winemaker, her childhood crush,in this latest excellent entry in the Virginia wine country series. As she becomes involved in trying to prove the innocence of her friends, a skeleton is discovered on her property. One of the strengths of this series is the author's ability to delve into history making the past and present interesting and relevant. Highly recommended. Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchang ...more
Paula
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. It contained so many side stories that were interesting. The family genealogy, the Underground Railroad, and the family relationships now deepening with other characters, both new and old in this series. Great read. I enjoyed this book.
Ed
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
#9 in the Wine Country Mystery series. In this 2018 series entry by author Ellen Crosby, Lucie Montgomery and fiancé Quinn struggle to get their grapes harvested amid threat of a hurricane, work stoppage of illegal immigrant pickers, a skeleton found buried outside the family grave, the complication of a previously unknown half-brother and the murder of the winemaker on an adjoining vineyard. My quibble is that with the winery working long hours in a seven day workweek during harvest season and ...more
Erik Moloney
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

It's harvest season at Montgomery Estate Vineyard--the busiest time of year for winemakers in Atoka, Virginia. A skull is unearthed near Lucie Montgomery's family cemetery, and the discovery of the bones coincides with the arrival of handsome, wealthy aristocrat Jean-Claude de Marignac. He's come to be the he
Homerun2
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A stellar entry in the Wine Country Mysteries.

Lucie Montgomery, along with her fiance winemaker Quinn, is running the family winery in Virginia. They are grappling with a coming hurricane AND the wine harvest when some of her vineyard workers discover a skull in a shallow grave.

A little research soon reveals that the skeleton dates from more than a century ago and that the victim, who was murdered, is likely an ancestor of Lucie's. Her delving into the family history leads to some interesting in
Kathleen
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This ninth book in a series about Virginia vineyards continues to provide information about wine making, a precarious enterprise, at best, and its long tradition in this country. Lucie Montgomery continues to be a bright, courageous, and empathic, protagonist whose challenges and successes have been well documented in previous books.

While a complicated murder investigation is always embedded in these novels, here the issues of slavery and immigration are as important to the story line. Ellen Cr
Pat Dupuy
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the latest of the series featuring Lucie Montgomery, friends, and family. Lucie owns Montgomery Estate Vineyard in Virginia. Two bodies crop up: one is the wealthy French aristocrat who is the new winemaker in the area; the second is a female, Civil War era, who might be related to Lucie. Both are murder victims. Lucie investigates the first to protect loved ones from suspicion and/or arrest. She investigates the second to discover the truth that was hidden by her family generations ago. ...more
Lori Bonkoski
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucie finds herself with a skull found on her property and then the murder of a french wine maker, who was her first crush, and a big reveal about her own family. The skull and her family issue lead to a very interesting journey and filled the story with great research. The murder also led to consider issues of immigration and how we see those who come to this country to work in agriculture. I was glad to see this issue handled so well and hope that this is truly how people work together. I love ...more
Linda Smatzny
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The main character, Lucie Montgomery, gets involved with finding out about family secrets. She sends off her DNA and discovers a never known about half brother. A skeleton is found when a tree is damaged in a storm and Lucie is sure it is a relative but not sure who. And yes a huge hurricane is headed for Virginia. There is also a murder. Lots going on which Lucie feels she must be involved with. The book was a quick easy read.
jammaster_mom
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this entry into the series very much. Lucie has the chance to delve into her family history from the mid-1800's and it was fascinating to me. I have recently been interested in my own family history and the family stories that turn out to be true. Lucie also has to deal with some secrets from the not so distant past in her family as well. I enjoyed the growth in the relationship between Lucie and Quinn. Overall a good and solid read.
Suzi
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series and timely. Ellen Crosby continues to insert current affairs topics into her mysteries in a subtle and kindly way. Not only is her fictional family international, it is also on both sides of the War Between the States/Civil War/War of Northern Aggression and now connections to Quakers and the Underground Railway surface. I really didn't know who did it until the end.
Cheryl
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. A somewhat interesting book but not enough to encourage me to seek out others in this series. I thought the reaction of finding the skeleton of a possible unknown ancestor by the main character Lucie to be totally unrealistic. I also did not find Lucie and other returning characters to be compelling.
Cynthia Townsend
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
The central mystery of the story is rather boring and non-engaging. The other mysteries in the book are much more interesting and it would have been a much more interesting read if the author had focused on them.
Sharon
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book but I figured out the bad guy before the end. I always read looking for hints. Since I live near this area and have been to some of the wineries, I always appreciate the research of the author's.
Kristie Uebbing
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐s
Somehow I missed Book 8 in the series. Maybe that’s why I felt a bit disconnected from the characters? Took more than 100 pages to really grab my interest. I think there were one too many storylines going on. Still recommend this series and will go back and read the missing one.
Barb
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed reading this series! A mystery, history lesson, and wine-making info all in one!
And now that I’ve read all of the books, including this digital ARC from Edelweiss (thanks!), I’m going to miss reading about these characters!
Bobbie N
In this ninth of the series, a skull is discovered near the Montgomery family cemetery and the new winemaker at neighboring La Vigne Cellars is found dead, setting off two investigations, one current and one into Lucie's family's past.
Sidney Weber
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well constructed story

This book was moderately intricate without being overly dramatic or relying on extraordinary capabilities or coincidences. It unfolded at about the right place.
Katie (GnomeSweetGnome)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good mystery from the Wine Country Mysteries. I liked that this one got into ancestry/genealogical research/DNA, making it two mysteries in one. The murder mystery ending was a surprise twist I didn't see coming, and the relationship between Lucie and her half-brother is heartwarming. I will keep reading this series!
Linnea
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-series
Besides a great story, it deals with the migrant workers and the grape industry.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ellen Crosby is the author of the Virginia Wine Country mysteries, including HARVEST OF SECRETS, which will be published November 6, 2018 by Minotaur Books. She is also the author of the Sophie Medina mysteries and MOSCOW NIGHTS, a standalone mystery. Before writing fiction, Crosby was a freelance reporter for The Washington Post, Moscow correspondent for ABC Radio News, and an economist at the US ...more

Wine Country Mysteries (9 books)
  • The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1)
  • The Chardonnay Charade (Wine Country Mysteries #2)
  • The Bordeaux Betrayal (Wine Country Mysteries #3)
  • The Riesling Retribution (Wine Country Mysteries #4)
  • The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mysteries #5)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • The Champagne Conspiracy (Wine Country Mysteries, #7)
  • The Vineyard Victims (Wine Country Mysteries, #8)