Start by marking “Deep War: The War with China and North Korea—The Nuclear Precipice (Dan Lenson #18)” as Want to Read:

Deep War: The War with China and North Korea—The Nuclear Precipice

(Dan Lenson #18)

The war against China turns dire, as the United States struggles to survive in this gripping thriller featuring Navy commander Dan Lenson.

After the United States suffers a devastating nuclear attack, and facing food shortages, power outages, cyber and AI assaults, and a wrecked economy, Admiral Dan Lenson leads an allied force assigned to turn the tide of war in the

Published December 4th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Deep War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep War

Start your review of Deep War: The War with China and North Korea—The Nuclear Precipice (Dan Lenson #18)
Frank Mihlon
So many high ratings ... I do not understand it. As a reader of all 18 Lenson novels and great fan of Poyer, this one tarnished the series. The book lacked flow and was disjointed with too much jumping between the characters and subplots, most of which occurred without relationship to one other. The land battle scenes were highly forced, with supermen rather than believable characters. Additionally, the land battle scenes might be appropriate for 2050, but at his point were pure science fiction. ...more
Nooilforpacifists
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Is Poyer trying to establish additional characters for a spinoff? Because Dan Lenson has, possibly, less airtime in this novel than his wife, never mind a set of ground-pounding Marines. Though the plot isn’t horrible, there are perhaps five pages of ship command in the entire book. It could be any war techno-thriller—the Naval aspect has submerged.
Diane Hernandez
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Deep War is a war where everything is at stake—think the Somme or Stalingrad.

China has intervened in a skirmish between India and Pakistan. When the United States sent in a carrier battle group, China destroyed it with a nuclear bomb—killing all 10,000 people aboard.

It’s now year two of the war. In the US, the first and second amendments have been suspended as well as habeas corpus. A full draft has begun that includes woman for the first time. Due to Chinese hackers, only face-to-face and paper
Chris B.
This was NOT on par with the rest of David Poyer's work. David Poyers book work so well because they have been grounded in modern day reality. Deep War appears to be a departure into the "futuristic" This is the first Dan Lenson book that actually bored me at some points.....but I guess this format of breaking up a good eight hundred page book into 3 or 4 half-ass ones is working out well for the publisher.......
Zardoz
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m still being pleasantly surprised by the quality of Poyer’s writing. This book continues his account of an American/Chinese war in the Pacific. A Chinese AI program is the main focus, but there are still naval and land battles occurring as well as the limited use of nukes.
Jim
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Saint Martin’s Press for the Advance Reader Copy of DAVID POYER’s 18th book in his series about U.S. Naval Officer Dan Lenson, entitled “DEEP WAR”. It is also the fifth book in the subseries The War with China and North Korea (what did Poyer know that the rest of us did not know?). I have read other earlier books in the Dan Lenson saga and was thrilled to get this early peek at this book arriving in December 2018.

The war is primarily being fought in cyber space. The American economy is
David Rubin
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Deep War” is the latest book in David Poyer’s “The War with China” series. This book follows five principal characters during the second year of this imagined war. Poyer’s books prior to this China series followed the career of Dan Lenson, an American naval officer, through the crises in many of the world’s trouble spots. This series, however, looks forward to what a war with China might look like in the near future.

The principal characters include Lenson himself in his role as high-ranking
John Purvis
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Deep War" eBook was published in 2018 and was written by David Poyer (http://www.davidpoyer.com/home.html). Mr. Poyer has published more than 35 novels. This is the 18th in his "Dan Lenson" series.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence and Mature Language. The story is set in the near future. The US and its allies are at war with China. The primary character
Ted
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's pretty difficult to call this a "Dan Lenson" novel. Lenson appears in less than 25 of the pages in the entire book. This series started more than 30 years ago. Who knew it would get to the point where the reader needs to have advanced degrees in computer science/artificial intelligence to understand what the hell is going on? Far too many subplots. Far too technical. What next? A Death Star? I miss the old seagoing Lenson.
D.F. Haley
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The war itself is not going well for the United States and its few allies. The U.S. is clearly losing the Cyber-war with China. Utilities and manufacturing have crashed. Credit cards have become invalidated, Wall Street has lost all its records and ordinary people cannot afford to buy petrol. Detainment camps have been set up for ethnically undesirables. Where have we heard this before? Demonstrations and anti-war factions are gaining traction and martial law is ruling in most urban areas. ...more
Nancy
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
First thing, this is NOT my genre. Picked it as a blind, covered, first sentence only, library pick. I thought maybe I would get a cool chick Viking warrior book. Not so much.

I got a Navy book in the middle of WWIII. It also seems to be mid-series, or maybe just recurring characters.

It was very wordy. The author clearly loves to talk about tech and war machines. He goes on and on and on about them. Also acronyms. Lots of them.

The change of voice/scenery after every chapter was disorienting.
Spenser
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
If i was asked to describe this book in one word....WEAK. Having been a long time Dan Lenson follower, it's almost embarrassing how this series has fallen. Book 17 was too long and 18 was too short. Too much futuristic whiz-bang crap and not enough Dan Lenson. Mr Poyer may or may not even be writing the Lenson series at this point. If he is, he's clearly lost interest and that saddens a follower like myself. For any folks thinking of starting this series with any 'current' adventures of Dan ...more
Paul J. Petersen
Wow, it is hard to describe my impression and feelings about this installment of the series. I really like the Dan Lenson novels, otherwise I wouldn't have read all of them. This book is well written and fits in the series, it just wasn't as much fun, not as enjoyable to read for me.
It occurred to me somewhere around mid-story that this book is like watching your absolute favorite football team in a playoff game and play after play they are getting beat. They can't even get a first down. It
David Lightcap
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue and mystery

The author writes a story so complying that you want to rush to the ending only to want more. Every step in the action is fully charged and detailed that you feel like you are part of the action. Every character links to a piece of the whole series making you route for the person and worry that something bad will befall them.
Looking forward to the next segment of the story and having read the series since the first book love the main character for always doing his best for
Darryl Ray
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first Poyer book I have read. Since it is the 18th of a series, I felt like I had just jumped into the middle of a story, but it was engaging and I quickly found myself liking the characters and enjoying the story. It follows a number of different characters and jumps around a bit, but I tells a good story. It turns out to be the first of two books (I believe that Overthrow is the sequel to Deep War). Deep War begins in the midst of a major war between the US and China. The war is ...more
Steve Foley
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ugh, this book is one of a couple I have read by this author, he has brilliant flashes of short stories in is books, but the majority of the book moves slow and switches gears without explanation. How does the scene go from a person in the mist of a plane crash, to sitting in a meeting with no discussion about what happened during the crash, what happened? Her husband goes from Admiral to Captain, how did that happen?
Andrew
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Picked up this series after an extended hiatus. David Poyer does not fail deliver. This book is well written, with plenty of action, great characters, and compelling character interaction. Moreover, this book does put forth some very interesting newer technologies, but the author has not fallen into the trap so many others and manages to keep the advances from going past past advanced right into science fiction.
Laura Poppenwimer
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The war with China rages on and nuclear bombs are used in Hawaii. The plot moves at a fast pace covering many fronts. At long last there finally seems some forward progress but like the prior in this series leaves and open end for the war to continue. A very enjoyable read for people who like adventure and technology solutions to war, very interesting developments here. Can't wait to read the next installment "Overthrow".
Bill Donhiser
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of all of the David Poyer Boos I have read so far I think I enjoyed this one the most. My only complaint is when a novel ends without finihing. e.g. the China War will continue in "Overthrow." In other words I enjoy series, I am not quite as excited about "serials."
Ben Prill
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finish the war already

Great book, but now I probably have to wait forever...again...for the rest of the story to finally finish. Seemed like this one was rushed. Just want to see how this war ends already.
Edward Silverman
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I never really loved the book but I also kept reading it so it must be doing something right. I’ll give the series an author another chance but likely via library not purchase. Good if you like Coonts or military fiction like Clancy does.
Dale Smith
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been my personal opinion the U.S. will eventually be at war with China. The Western World abused Chinese sovereignty when she was weak and now she wants payback. How would a war with China play out? Deep War is, in my opinion, how the war would go.
Dennis
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read about the future fictionalized war between China, Pakistan and North Korea and USA, India, Vietnam, People, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan, and Australia. I enjoy reading these fictionalized accounts of wars. Poyer
writes well.
Nic
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-fiction
I enjoyed the book. It is interesting that though Mr. Poyer has a naval background, the gripping parts of the novel are infantry/land based. I will certainly purchase the next one to follow along with the ground pounders.
R. Fletcher
Not one of his best

I kind of felt that this book was almost like a movie that has footage that was cut from the movie but later added when the movie was remastered. However, I did enjoy parts about Lenson and what happened to USE Salvo.
Kevin Collett
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to read the next book in the series NOW! What better praise for a book can there be?
Anna Lopez pugsley
Seawar

An excellent read and ends too soon!!!! I have enjoyed reading the Lenson series, but, I have to warn you,the books cause sleep deprivation!!!!
Jim
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unexpectedly good story. Shows impact of cyber warfare in a conflict with China.
Dan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book. Would have 5 stars but for ending being premature
Joe
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow.

• Treason (Trident Deception #5)
  • The Kremlin Strike (Brad McLanahan #6)
  • The Iceman (World War II Navy, #5)
  • The Nugget (World War II Navy #6)
  • The Russia Account (Tommy Carmellini #9)
  • Battlefield China (Red Storm #6)
  • Red Metal
  • The Saudi-Iranian War (Russian Agents #2)
  • The Enemy of My Enemy (Clandestine Operations #5)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • All Out War (Eric Steele #2)
  • The Moscow Offensive (Brad McLanahan #5; Patrick McLanahan, #22)
  • Game of Snipers
  • Arctic Gambit (Jerry Mitchell #6)
  • Final Bearing (Hunter Killer #1)
  • Oath of Office (Jack Ryan Universe #26)
  • Bering Strait (Future War #1)
  • Overwhelming Force (The War Planners #5)
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the

Dan Lenson (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • The Command (Dan Lenson, #8)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Korea Strait (Dan Lenson, #10)