Start by marking “Keeper of the Bees (Black Birds of the Gallows, #2)” as Want to Read:
Keeper of the Bees (Black Birds of the Gallows, #2)

Keeper of the Bees

(Black Bird of the Gallows #2)

KEEPER OF THE BEES is a tale of two teens who are both beautiful and beastly, and whose pasts are entangled in surprising and heartbreaking ways.

Published September 4th 2018 by Entangled: Teen

Start your review of Keeper of the Bees (Black Birds of the Gallows, #2)
C.G. Drews
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to absolutely utterly fall in love with this book, bUT LOOK WHERE WE ARE. This is the kind of book for those of us who fall in love with villains. It's about mental illness and how people perceive it. It's about monsters and murder. It's about the sweetest and softest love of people scared to hurt each other and I just?!?

IT IS DARK. AND SOFT™ and I am living for that combination.

So this is a companion novel to Black Bird of the Gallows. Going to admit I loved this one more!! But
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Last year, I was given the chance to review Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a character in it who belonged to a group called the “beekeepers”, and I was so fascinated by that character’s entire design that, when I heard this book was being released, I can’t even describe how badly I wanted to read it. I needed more from this gorgeous little world Meg has crafted!

I won’t be including any spoilers for Black Bird of the Gallows, if you haven’t re
Carrie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Keeper of the Bees by Meg Kassel is a young adult fantasy read that is part of the Black Birds of the Gallows series. Now this book is more of a companion novel than second of the series and can be read as a standalone if choosing to do so. The characters and story are different than the first book although the idea of a beekeeper was first mentioned in Black Birds of the Gallows.

Dresden is a keeper of bees, cursed to follow the harbingers of death to areas that are marked for death. Inside of D
Schizanthus Nerd
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I need all of the stars for this one but it feels more appropriate to say it like this: 💛🐝🖤🐝💛

I was initially denied early access to this book and I completely understood why. This is the type of book I’m supposed to want to avoid. The love between this girl and (sort of) boy is insta and as sweet as honey (sorry, I had to go there) so it makes perfect sense that a romantiphobe should steer clear. So why did I beg for it? Because I should have wanted to stay far, far away from its companion, Bla
Danielle's
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Black Birds of the gallows have arrived in your town. You should be scared. Legend has it, if the birds have landed, death will follow. The Beekeeper is attracted to the destruction and the Strawman only turns up if evil plays a hand. Leave town while you still have time!

Essie is seventeen years old and anything but ordinary. She struggles with reality. Sometimes she sees more than is really there. She lives with her Aunt and is cursed to follow the path of her ancestors. When she meets Dre
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Dresden is cursed. His chest houses a hive of bees that he can’t stop from stinging people with psychosis-inducing venom. His face is a shifting montage of all the people who have died because of those stings. And he has been this way for centuries—since he was eighteen and magic flowed through his homeland, corrupting its people. When he meets Essie, a 17-year-old girl who suffers from debilitating delusions and hallucinations. His bees want t
Annika
description

That was... wow. I don't even know where to begin to describe this book.
It was so different, unlike anything I've ever read.

A Young Adult paranormal romance revolving around a faceless, cursed boy whose body contains a bee hive, who is forever condemned to feed off people's misery, the evil his bees' stings draw out of them. And a girl who's been suffering from hallucinations for years, who's been shunned by the people who should've protected her, who can't tell reality from fantasy anymore.
An e
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Black Birds of the Gallows was one of my favorite books from last year! So I couldn't wait to read this since we were going to see the world from the beekeepers view. Those creatures terrified me, so I took a deep breath and dove right in. I happily found myself pulled in and I finished this book in one day. Keeper of the Bees was a mesmerizing tale filled with peril, love, heartache, redemption, evil and sacrifice. And I loved being back in this world!
She raises one eyebrow, seemingly
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"

“This book is for everyone who falls in love with the villain. This book is for everyone who doesn’t fit a mold—on the outside, or the inside, or both.”

5 “I did not expect to root for this “villain” “ stars.

I wondered how Meg Kassel would make me fall for a villain!
Let's face it Rafette from Black Birds of the Gallow was a true villain and a beekeeper!

The secret is to make your villain human even if he is an immortal cursed to sting people into m
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

*I want to thank Entangled Teen and NetGalley for providing me with this copy in exchange for an honest review*

First I must mention how beautiful both covers are, they look amazing together, I just love them. Going to the important thing, I ADORE this book, there is something so atmospheric and unique in it, it's a great companion and although you can read it very well as stand-alone, I personally recommend reading them in order, to go into this one with more knowledge about what the plot is abo
Misty
Keeper of the Bees has one of the more intriguing (and by intriguing I mean, potentially really, really odd) premises of any book synopsis I’d read this year, which in Misty-world basically translates to, ‘I need to read this and see.’ I needed to know if its oddness would be carried off, or would overwhelm the story; whether it’d be a magical realist bit of amazingness, or an absolute hot mess. Fortunately, it was the former.

Keeper of the Bees starts weird and stays weird, but it is that deft,
Alexandra
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Ahh how I missed Meg Kassel's writing! "Black Bird of Gallows" was a very interesting, scary and emotional read and learning that there was another book tied into this larger world I decided to read it.

And I concluded that Dresden's curse was far worse than Reece's.

Being a beekeeper means that inside your body you house thousand of magic-like bees which if they sting you will amplify the evil in you and in the end you'll do something evil. Also, Dresd
Lisa Mandina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I haven't read the first book in this series, so was a little leery of reading this one, but my worries were all for nothing. This is more of a companion novel I guess, so I wasn't missing any knowledge that would keep me from enjoying this one.

For me, the story started out a little weird. I was unsure just how I would feel about the characters, if I would be able to get into the story if they were too way out there. But it didn't take long before I was sucked into the story, needing to fi
k
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The tale revolves around a boy who was cursed to murder people with bees that livea inside him for centuries, and a beautiful young girl whose insanity runs in the family.

The very instant I read the synopsis of this book, I was intrigued and so I read it. Despite how short it is, I can tell the events are well-written, not rushed. The overall plot somehow reminds me of a Grimm Brother's story, I don't know. I felt like if one of the Grimm Brother's is still alive, he would totally write one lik
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via YA Bound Book Tours. This has not influenced my review.*

It was actually the premise for this book that got me interested in this series. Supernatural beings with faces that constantly change to that of their many victims and chests full of bees that cause psychosis? Now that is different, and totally intriguing.

Upon reading the first book, I definitely thought the beekeepers were interesting, and getting the POV of one this time made it even
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/09/23/...

Keeper of the Bees has all the makings of a popular YA modern fairy tale—cursed protagonists, magical villains, and a romance for the ages. It has even been described as a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, though personally I find that comparison to be a bit of a stretch, and, to be honest, a disservice to the world of this book, considering how unique it is.

The story is told from the perspective of two teens: one who h
Courtney
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Meg Kassel has another smashing hit on her hands!!

This is a companion novel to Black Bird of the Gallows. They can be read separately and not in order and I loved each of these book equally as they very unique in their stories.

Keeper of the Bees is a YA fantasy novel about Dresden who is cursed as a beekeeper and Essie who is bound with her own curse.

As a beekeeper, his life curse is too infect those who have been marked with a bee sting and then once they pass, he takes on their face - sounds c
Wendy F
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
First of all, how stunning is that cover?! I didn’t read Black Bird of the Gallows -yet. Still, I couldn’t resist requesting Keeper of the Bees on just the cover art alone. I’m not usually someone in love with watercolor, but in this case it resonates with me. There’s a dreamy quality about the cover that matches the horror of Dresden and the delusions of Essie. I love it so much.

Now, onto the story itself. I wasn’t really sure what I got myself into when I started reading. Keeper of the Bees ha
Kayla
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

Previous books in the series:

Black Bird of the Gallows - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Note: The books in this series are companion to eachother. So you can read them individually or as a series.

In this book we follow Dresden and his body is a bee hive. The bees come out from his body and sting inducing deadly venom into people's bodies making them dilrious. So you can see
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

Meg Kassel returns to her previously visited world but with new characters in Keeper of the Bees. This time, we actually follow the story of one of the beekeepers; the beings with “magic” bees in their bodies that create untold chaos in society. Our beekeeper, Dresden is an eighteen year old boy who’s been a beekeeper for so long he barely remembers his human life a
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I enjoyed Black Bird of the Gallows, but if I had to choose between the first and the second, I loved the second so much better than the first.
Keeper of the Bees is Meg Kassel's second novel, the companion novel to Black Bird of the Gallows. We're brought back to the world of harbringers and beekeepers in a smol town in Missouri (hey, lo
Christina Reid
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't have realised that this is the second book in a series if I hadn't added it on Goodreads. However, it is perfectly possible to read this as a stand-alone. Characters from Black Bird of the Gallows make a cameo appearance which might please fans of the first book.
I had no idea what to expect going in, but I ended up realy loving the characters and the writing
I had wanted to read Black Bird of the Gallows before but reading this has bumped it up my priority list.
Both Essie and Dresden a
Michelle
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m not a big horror fan, but I love the macabre and delightfully creepy. So this book hit all the right notes for me. I didn’t read the first book, but this story is about a different set of characters. So I didn’t have trouble following along.

This is a nice YA love story about looking beyond someone’s oddities to find the true person within. You know, the weird stuff about your partner you find endearing? Like how his face constantly changes, or that he’s a walking beehive and feeds off of fea
Megan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book kept getting better the farther along I read. It feels very YA at the start (which it is), but getting deeper into the beekeepers, harbingers, and good ol’ Stitches made it so quirky and dark and interesting. The acknowledgments say this book is for those who fall in love with the villain and those who don’t fit a mold, and it really delivers in that aspect. It’s written with my least favorite methods - first person, present tense, and chapters that alternate viewpoints - and guess wha ...more
Jessica
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Keeper of the Bees’ is an excellent companion story to 'Black Bird of the Gallows'! I loved the two lead characters, Dresden and Essie, even more than Reece and Angie. Author Meg Kassel skillfully switches narration between Dresden and Essie, and there is so much more to enjoy due to this. Dresden is a Beekeeper, with all the unpleasantness that comes along with it, but Kassel makes him an interesting and relatable character, trying to do the right thing.

I enjoyed Dresden and Essie’s tale so mu
Angie
Jun 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-on-kindle
I can't believe Kassel is going to try and make us feel sympathy for (and maybe even come to care for) a KEEPER!! But I am so here for it and can't wait to get my hands on this one!
Mandy
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Like a really really really high three crowns??? There was just something so captivating about this book that I wanted both this three and four crown mix.

There were a lot of really good things about this book, and then there were the cheesy things that would pop up and make me stop and go omg, but we were doing so well. But overall, I really enjoyed it, and it was such a different, quirky book that I do recommend putting it on your TBRs if you're looking for something extra out of the ordinary.
Meigan
Black Bird of the Gallows was one of my favorite books of 2017, and I absolutely loved the various mythologies used and the curses involved. The harbingers were so creative and interesting, but the Beekeeper was hands-down my absolutely favorite. Creepy, yet tortured, Rafette the Beekeeper in BBotG was a prominent character, but I wanted to know more about him, his curse, his tortured outlook on life and while the Beekeeper in Keeper of the Bees isn’t Rafette, I still got the deeper glimpse into ...more
Tammy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Lush imagery and beautiful writing make this a stand-out YA fantasy, despite some issues I had with one of the characters.

Keeper of the Bees , as I found out after I requested it, is a companion novel to Blackbird of the Gallows , which got lots of rave reviews from the blogging community last year. I was hoping I could
Ankita Singh
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, netgalley-books
Keeper of The Bees was a beautiful, sweet story, and I totally fell in love with it.

Dresden and Essie were such complicated yet beautiful characters. It was fun to watch the story unfold from both of their perspectives.

I especially loved how the author wrote Essie's point of view. The bubbles, the snake-like tongue. It was all so believable. It was hard to say whether Essie was imagining something or whether it was real.

I loved the fact that the story did not stretch into a sequel. It was sho
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• So This is Love
  • Lore & Lust (Lore & Lust #1)
  • The Vanishing (Lore & Lust #2)
  • As Happy as Here
  • Secrets of the Past (Ocean Academy, #1)
  • Five Total Strangers
  • The Beast Is An Animal
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)
  • Jo & Laurie
  • Future Girl
  • The Iron Raven (The Iron Fey: Evenfall, #1)
  • The Greatest Hit
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
Meg Kassel is an author of paranormal and speculative books for young adults. A New Jersey native, Meg graduated from Parson's School of Design and worked as a graphic designer before embracing her true passion, writing. She now lives in a log house in the Maine woods with her family, and is busy at work on her next novel. A fan of ’80s cartoons, original Netflix series, daydreaming, and ancient m ...more

Black Bird of the Gallows (2 books)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)