Start by marking “Murder on Millionaires' Row” as Want to Read:
Murder on Millionaires' Row

Murder on Millionaires' Row

(Rose Gallagher #1)

Erin Lindsey takes readers on a chase through Gilded Age Manhattan, filled with wonderful historical details, ghosts, romance, and Pinkerton detectives in Murder on Millionaires' Row, a delightfully charming debut mystery.

Published October 2nd 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Millionaires' Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on Millionaires' Row

Melisa
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Rose, a girl from the Five Points of New York, is a housemaid in a prominent uptown household, but she wants to be more. When her boss goes missing, she does everything she can to track him down which leads her into an epic journey full of detectives and ghosts.

This was an interesting Gilded Age story, one that is heavier on the paranormal than was expected. I was anticipating a straightforward historical whodunnit but that’s not what I got here, but please don’t let my expectations sway you fr
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/10/02/...

I’ve been a fan of Erin Lindsey for a while, and let me just say I was ecstatic when I found out about Murder on Millionaires’ Row. On her author’s page, it states that she is a lover of all things history, mystery, and fantasy, and I was happy to find this novel a jaunty mixture of all three.

It is New York City in 1886. Rose Gallagher is a young woman from Five Points who has always dreamed of a more adventurous life, tho
Kristina
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder on Millionaires’ Row is a debut mystery by Erin Lindsey. Rose Gallagher works as a maid in the household of Mr. Thomas Wiltshire on Fifth Avenue in New York City in 1886. Sunday evening Rose arrives home after her day off and goes to prepare her employers room for the evening. Something feels off and Rose is sure that boss has not been in since Saturday. The next morning the coppers arrive after 5 a.m. because Mr. Jonathan Burrows, a friend of Thomas’, has filed a missing persons report. ...more
The Lit Bitch
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it

As soon as this book arrived at my house, I had to fight off people who wanted to borrow it with a stick. I am not even kidding. It arrived in the afternoon and by the night time, it was MIA.

My mom was watching my kid and she was looking for something to read and found this one in my sea of books and refused to give it up when I got home. She was hooked on the character and story so I knew I wasn’t getting it back for at least a week.

I finally got it back last week and was able to star
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
"The juicier the mystery became, the more I wanted to sink my teeth into it." *

Rose Gallagher splits her time between home in Five Points and work on Fifth Avenue as a housemaid for her mysterious employer, Mr. Thomas Wiltshire.

When Mr. Wiltshire disappears, the police brush it off as the whim of a wealthy man.  Rose finds that the friend who reported her employer missing, Mr. Burrows, is acting a bit suspicious himself.
Fed up with the police, Rose takes it upon herself to find Mr. Wilshire, who
Bart
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.75
JoAn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder on Millionaires' Row by Erin Lindsey was an enjoyable look at New York City during the late 1800's. Ms. Lindsey's descriptive writing of Park Avenue, Five Points and the Tenderloin districts made me feel like I was there in New York City with Rose, Clara, Mr. Wiltshire and the other characters.

The paranormal aspects of this investigation were complex as well as the murder of two Park Avenue brothers. The book was entertaining although I did find the beginning of the book to be slowly pac
Tammie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 stars. Having previously read Erin Lindsey's fantasy Bloodbound I was curious to see what she would do with a mystery. It also intrigued me that this book included a paranor
Leith Devine
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first Rose Gallagher book, and it was a great debut. Rose is a housemaid in a big house on 5th Avenue. She grew up poor and is a little dazzled by her surroundings now. When her employer disappears, Rose feels like the police aren't taking it seriously and she decides to search for him.

There's a supernatural element to the book I wasn't expecting but it definitely made the book more interesting. I recommend it and look forward to the next book in the series.

Thanks to Minotaur Books a
Blodeuedd Finland
I did not expect it to take the turn it did. Which just shows that if you do not read the blurb then you do go in blind. Which can be a good thing.

Character thoughts:

Rose is a housemaid. Through her eyes we get the New York of the day. She is Irish, she is from 5 points (well nothing new there, I know how the Irish were treated.) Then one day her employer vanishes. Oh and wait, she has like the HUGEST crush on him. That poor girl, she is really smitten. And me being a hopeless romantic I hope th
Karen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A paranormal story set in the gilded age of New York.
I was not sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.
The time period was obviously well researched and written in an engaging manner.
The characters, especially Rose and Thomas were interesting and I enjoyed the strength of their teamwork and change in their relationship (from master and servant to working together).
I certainly hope that there is a book two to look forward to.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
QNPoohBear
Rose Gallagher works as a housemaid for a wealthy, single gentleman in Uptown New York, far from her own Five Points neighborhood on the lower East side. Rose dreams of something more though-adventure, romance and reporting for a magazine like Harper's Weekly. Her friend Clara, Mr. Wiltshire's cook, scoffs at Rose's dreams and Mrs. Sellers, the housekeeper sneers at Rose for her Irish
origins. When their employer, Mr. Wiltshire, goes missing, Rose believes the police are fools who have dismissed
Laura Edwards
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story feels too modern to be 1886. Both Rose and Clara also seem far too educated (they were reading a newspaper with no problem) than most girls with their backgrounds would be at the time. (A little later on, we find out that Rose's mother was a schoolteacher, but that doesn't explain away Clara's proficiency). I gave up around Chapter 6 after Rose described her mother as suffering from "dementia". Demented might have been a common word back then, but I believe everyone, doctors included, ...more
Rachel McMillan
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unlike any other mystery I have read before. Immediately engaging, the beguiling narrative wraps tightly around you so that Rose becomes an immediate friend.

The luscious world of upper class New York is at brilliant odds with the beautifully portrayed grit of Five Points in a clash that becomes even more staggering as the mystery unfolds.

Each character ---from the manor house where Rose works to the people who populate her life---are developed deftly. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

There
Anne
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook.

I have listened to several audiobooks in a row and was disappointed in all of them. I considered giving up on this medium (usually I only read kindle or paper books) thinking it was not my cup of tea. Then along came this one.

This book made me react along with what was happening in the story quite a bit. I laughed, I grimaced, I was even on the edge of my seat a few times. The story moved along nicely, and I really enjoyed the voice of the protagonist, Rose.

I think that the narrator B
Jayne
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was recently on a panel with Erin Lindsey, author of 'Murder on Millionaires' Row', which is set in Gilded Age New York. The sleuth is a housemaid, Rose Gallagher, whose employer has gone missing. If she can't get him back, she'll be out of the best job she's ever had, and her old mother won't be able to cover the rent on her tiny tenement apartment.

This is a well-told tale with an engaging heroine and an able supporting cast. The diverse character of turn-of-the-century New York City is quick
Sunsettowers
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

I loved this book!

Rose Gallagher is a force to be reckoned with, a housemaid who is determined to find her missing employer. Yes, she is in love with him (and that is a romance I am definitely rooting for-their chemistry just oozes off the pages!), but she also is a strong and brave woman in a time when women, especially women in her station, were sup
Melissa Dee
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m not usually a fan of magical fiction. I do love my historicals, though, and I was charmed by the way that “Murder on Millionaires’ Row” morphed from a tale of 1850’s New York, to a ghost-ridden adventure story.

Rose and Thomas are products of their time. Rose is the Irish maid in the aristocratic Thomas’s home. When Thomas disappears, the (slightly) besotted Rose decides to hunt for him. And what a hunt ensues!

This is a super-fun adventure tale. and I look forward to more from Erin Lindsey.
Stephanie Flinchbaugh
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really fun. It started out as a regular gilded age NYC murder mystery with a plucky maid attempting to solve the mystery of why her employer disappeared. But, then it took a turn into magic and ghosts. Did you know the Astors and Vanderbilts acquired their riches through inherited magical talent? They did, and they really would prefer none of the lesser order found out about that. The characters are very interesting and diverse and the story was engaging. I hope the series continues.
Lindsey
This took a decidedly different turn-from a traditional mystery about the disappearance of Rose's employer in 1880s NYC into a Gilded Age ghostbusters team. I did like the plucky housemaid Rose and her endeavors to become a detective in order to locate her boss. Not sure if I'll be looking for the next in the series knowing it will be heavy on the paranormal, but at least I'm forewarned now!
Hannah
Hello I have found a new genre of books to love - gilded age cosy mysteries! I adored everything about this book, and I cannot help being enamored with a good old fashioned romance. This had a little bit of everything and then some, with a paranormal twist I hadn't expected, and thoroughly enjoyed!
Alexis (hookedtobooks)
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks again to @stmartinspress for sending me a copy for review!
This book was so much fun to read! I love how the genres of historical fiction and mystery melded together well and how the plot kept me on my toes!
Rose is a young housemaid in a wealthy house in New York and she loves where she works and who she works for. She comes from Four Points, which is considered to be the rough neighbourhood of Irish Americans. When Roses employer goes missing, Rose goes on the hunt and is convinced she w
Jaclyn
I picked up Murder on Millionaires' Row because I adore historical mysteries and I loved the fact that this one focused on a young maid, Rose Gallagher. Rose is drawn into an intrigue when her handsome employer, Mr. Thomas Whiltshire, goes missing. Rose is a young woman who is looking for more out of life than simply being a maid, so when its clear that the police are not invested in searching for Mr. Whiltshire, Rose decides to launch her own investigation. Naturally, Rose encounters much that ...more
Helen Loveland
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was in the mood for a period mystery when I happened upon the book cover for Murder on Millionaire's row. It immediately attracted me so much that I didn't even bother to read the blurb so the paranormal aspect was a complete surprise. It starts out like many from this period, introducing a maid in a wealthy household who aspires to a bigger life. This classic theme is one of my favorites. I was hooked in to the story quickly...then it went from good to phantastic. Hints of Caleb Carr without ...more
Samantha
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary from Goodreads:

"Rose Gallagher might dream of bigger things, but she’s content enough with her life as a housemaid. After all, it’s not every girl from Five Points who gets to spend her days in a posh Fifth Avenue brownstone, even if only to sweep its floors. But all that changes on the day her boss, Mr. Thomas Wiltshire, disappears. Rose is certain Mr. Wiltshire is in trouble, but the police treat his disappearance as nothing more than the whims of a rich young man behaving badly. Meanw
Neha Patel
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose Gallagher lives in the Five Points District of New York City during the Gilded Age. She works as a maid for Thomas Wiltshire in his elegant Fifth Avenue home. Thomas is handsome, kind, and smart, and Rose fancies herself in love with him. As most young people, she seeks adventure and yearns for something more than working as a servant for the rest of her life. An opportunity presents itself when Rose discovers her employer, Mr. Thomas Wiltshire, has been kidnapped after failing to come home ...more
Katreader
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MURDER ON MILLIONAIRES' ROW
By Erin Lindsey

In Gilded Age Manhattan Rose Gallagher is a clever girl with a good head on her shoulders. Working as a maid on Fifth Avenue, she doesn't forget her roots in the rough neighborhood of Five Points. When her boss goes missing, a boss whom she deeply admires, she knows she can't trust the police to pursue the matter. Despite being warned, Rose takes matters into her own hands and begins to investigate. What she discovers is more than she ever bargained for.
Myndi
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose Gallagher, a housemaid for a gentleman whom she has growing feelings for (unbeknownst to him), finds herself in the midst of a mystery of the paranormal kind when he goes missing. Not satisfied that the police are taking his disappearance seriously, Miss Gallagher feels compelled to find him herself. Having grown up in the rough and tumble part of New York known as Five Points, she has a less than healthy amount of fear, and her feelings for Mr. Wiltshire prove an extremely effective motiva ...more
Connie Fischer
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
New York City - 1886

Rose Gallagher, age 19, has a crush on her wealthy employer, Mr. Thomas Wiltshire. An Irish girl from Five Points, Rose works in the Wiltshire home as a housemaid. She wants nothing more than to be a Travel and Adventure writer. She visits her mother once a week to clean and cook for her. The woman appears to be sinking into dementia because she talks to her mother’s ghost all the time.

While straightening Mr. Wiltshire’s room for the night, she realizes he must not have come
Lauren
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I say this as someone who likes both the story contained within the pages and the cover artwork, but the hardcover artwork of Murder on Millionaires’ Row does this book a tremendous disservice.

Does the novel have echoes of the cozy-style mysteries the cover suggests? Absolutely. Rose, the heroine, is the sort of plucky heroine who is the American cousin of characters like Her Royal Spyness’s Georgie and the precocious Flavia de Luce. There’s also the handsome love interest with secrets of his ow
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nobody's Sweetheart Now (A Lady Adelaide Mystery #1)
  • From the Ashes (Boystown #6)
  • Posted To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #1)
  • The Darkness Knows (Viv and Charlie Mystery #1)
  • Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #3)
  • An Infamous Betrayal: A Regency Cozy (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries Book 3)
  • Murder in Belgravia (A Mayfair 100 Murder Mystery #1)
  • Letters for Lucardo, Vol. 1
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • From Holmes to Sherlock: The Story of the Men and Women Who Created an Icon
  • A Pinch of Poison (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #2)
  • Bloody Love Spats (Among Wolves #2)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • The Intersection of Purgatory and Paradise (Least Likely Partnership, #3)
  • The Prisoner of the Riviera (Francis Bacon, #2)
  • A Memory of Muskets (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #7)
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • Halloween is Murder