Start by marking “Toxic” as Want to Read:
Toxic

Toxic

Hana isn't supposed to exist. She's grown up hidden by her mother in a secret room of the bioship Cyclo until the day her mother is simple gone - along with the entire crew. Cyclo tells her she was abandoned, but she's certain her mother wouldn't leave her there to die. And Hana isn't ready to die yet. She's never really had a chance to live.

Fenn is supposed to die. He and
Published November 6th 2018 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Toxic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toxic

Carrie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Toxic by Lydia Kang is a young adult standalone romantic science fiction fantasy read that has maybe just a touch of horror to it too. When finished with this one it was one of those wow, I didn’t expect THAT moments, but in a good way of course.

Seventeen year old Hana awakens aboard the sentient ship, Cyclo, wondering what happened to her mother. You see Hana has been hidden from the rest of the crew aboard Cyclo her whole life and after a week her mother has not checked in on her. Cyclo inform
Inge
When you read the blurb for Toxic, you immediately recognise the power and potential of the story. And I think it's safe to say that it delivered on all accounts.

"I slumber next to a boy who first saw me as an impediment, who taught me how to fall in love in low gravity."

I didn't think I could feel as much for a sentient spaceship as much as I did for Illuminae's AIDAN, but Cyclo came very close. Without giving too much away - because the truth is far too much fun to discover on your own - my
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
A fast-paced action-packed, romantic, sci-fi adventure that grabs hold of you and does not let go.

Characters:
Hana
Fenn
Cyclo
Portia
Gammand
Miki

Fenn & Hanna
Their relationship moved pretty quick, but considering they're in a life or death situation I suppose that's to be expected. And honestly, despite that, I genuinely adored them.

I received an ARC copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Huge thank you to Entangled Teen Publishing!

*Review to Come*
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
mawltgfQ

I found Toxic to be a really unique experience: a mish-mash of multiple genres that when put together for me just flowed.
I would describe this if I had to clarify as a Romantic sci-fi YA with elements of horror.
Set in space on an organic ship it was the original premise put forward here that initially intrigued and drew me in.
A young girl that shouldn't exist: hidden for years in plain sight aboard a living ship: then later abandoned by her caretaker with only her closest companion Cyclo, left a
D.M.
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Toxic reminds me of a cross between The 100 and Passengers. It's a survival story which belongs in the horror genre. It's also a romance read. It's fast-paced and written well. I'm not really a fan of horror and that's probably why I didn't like this more. For the right reader, you will love this, I'm just not that girl.

Hana is a secret. Her mother and the ship have kept her a secret for seventeen years. She lives in her mother's shop quarters and Cyclo (the ship's intelligence) attends to her
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I have read a few books about sentient spaceships, and my favorite thing about this is that it seemed like a fresh take on sentient ships. Our girl Hana wakes up to find that she's all alone. Her mom, and everyone else on the ship she lived on, are gone. Only, Hana has never been out of her family's quarters before, because oopsie, she's a secret.

Enter Fenn and his crew, who have taken
Vicky Who Reads
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drcs
4 stars

One of the most notable things about Toxic was how readable and gripping it was. I started it (unwisely) on a school night, hoping to read a few chapters before setting it down and going to bed, but I ended up binging the majority of this book very late at night when I definitely should have been sleeping.

I was just hooked, for a lack of a better word. Not only was I absorbed in the entire concept (sentient, live spaceships), but the book was just paced really well and grabbed me from the
The Bookavid
In TOXIC, an artificially created girl gets abandoned on a sentient spaceship and falls for the mercenary who has to make sure it gets destroyed if he wants to save his sister.

So, I'm in love.

TOXIC is exactly the kind of light sci-fi I love and cherish. A little bit of aliens, minimal complicated space stuff, a lot of creativity, and a cute little love story that will have you longing for more.

I was particularly impressed with all the worldbuilding in there. Fennec, the mercenary, comes with a
Robyn
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hannah has been asleep for an entire week on the Cyclo’s matrix. When she wakes, Hannah realizes her mother is gone and she is all alone on a deserted ship. No one on the ship besides her mother and Cyclo even knew of Hannah’s existence. She was never allowed to leave her room on Cyclo and the only human contact Hannah has had for the past seventeen years has been with her mother. Hannah’s mom was the ship’s reproductive engineer and if the leaders ever found out that she created Hannah both of ...more
Tammie
Cyclo, the first and largest biological ship of its kind, is dying. A small crew of mercenaries have handed over the rights to their life to document the death of the ship, but the abandoned ship is anything but abandoned―one girl has been left behind.

This is kind of a sci-fi, horror, romance mashup. There were some things about it that I really liked, like the whole organic living spaceship thing, and the mysterious girl that was left behind when the crew evacuated. But then there were things
Hilda
I marked it DNF because I skipped all over the place. I love science fiction. Seriously...love it. But I wasn’t feeling this book. The “teenagers” were too self aware for my taste. “Am I acting human enough, oh wait I am human. Or am I?” It was a little too pretentious for me.

This is clearly a “it’s me, not you” moment. I tried for two weeks. 🤷🏻♀
Katiria
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** I received this book for a blog tour on the YA Bound Book Tour in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much to Sara and Entangled: Teen publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review Toxic! ***

When I first started reading this book a few days ago I went into it blindly because I totally forgot about the synopsis about this book. But I was really happy to find out the book it set in space in a biological sentient ship name Cyclo. If you don't know I absolutely love young ad
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Caryn Lix's 'Sanctuary'
 photo Toxic_zpsuhb3iaqw.jpg

ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I didn't think, when I first started this book, it was going to be a 4.5 star read. The cover makes it look like a light YA sci-fi romance; instead, it's a delightfully dark, horror-filled space thriller. Requesting this from NetGalley is probably the best impulse decision I've made all year.

PLOT

In this futuristic world, humans have succeeded in growing living spaceships. Obedient and nurturing, Cyclo is one such spaceship; she's be
Blodeuedd Finland
Ranconi and Vikas Adam! What could go wrong? Yes I only chose this book cos f them.

Poor Hana, she spent 17 years in one room. Hidden from everyone. Because if they found out she would have been killed. Only those meant to be born are born, and she was not meant to. But she has her life in her room, she learns things, she speaks with the ship. She hopes to one day come out and see the world.

I get that her mother wanted to keep her safe, but it was so very selfish. Wanting a child. Keeping that ch
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/11/25/...

When it comes to science fiction, there are few things more irresistible to me than a story about killer robots or rogue AI. This is the premise behind Toxic, a young adult space adventure set aboard Cyclo, a massive state-of-the-art live ship that’s the first of its kind. But of course, being an actual biological construct, Cyclo isn’t your typical sentient ship. Like anything alive, it also experiences senescence, and
Acqua
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of younger YA and cool spaceships
DNF @ 30%

This book was ok.
As I have very little time for reading lately, I don't want to spend it on a book I know I won't feel strongly about.

I think my main problem with this book, if one can really call it that, is that I'm not the target audience. I feel like I've outgrown this kind of YA.
With "this kind of YA" I mean the kind that has characters on the younger end who feel even younger because of their naïveté, the kind that could more or less work a a middle grade/YA crossover (at least, t
Olivia Farr
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Toxic" is a creative YA sci-fi that primarily takes place on the ship, Cyclo. Cyclo is actually a living organism which is designed to work like a machine. However, Cyclo is dying, and things are changing. Hana was born on Cyclo and has only known the ship. Her mother, Dr. Um, is the ship's geneticist, creating the embryos which will replace crew members as they die of old age, designed to fill a specific role. Dr. Um created Hana in secret and has been working with Cyclo to keep her hidden. Cr ...more
Rissa
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook-as-of-2018
2.75⭐

She wasn’t supposed to exist so when they left her on the ship they left for dead.
His team wasn’t supposed to be on the ship but it was supposed to be abandoned.
There starts a romance and basically thats all that happens after that. They start to fall in love and blah blah.
I liked the beginning and the writig style but I wanted more drama and more about cylo
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: September 7th 2018

"Funny how, with everything available to us, we still want to learn how to do things the old ways."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Entangled: Teen in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Tez
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The most interesting character is the ship. I still don't quite understand the architecture of Cyclo or the science of her matrix, but she's by far the most complex and intriguing character. The story itself is quite exciting once the first death occurs. I was all set to rate this four stars, but something really bothers me, so I'm downgrading it to three:

(view spoiler)
Myrth
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
How many time can I say I love Science Fiction? LOL. This book was light fast paced read about a girl who was only starting to live in a dying world. Unlike a lot of heroines in other YA books where it's already book 3 and they are still whining, I loved how fast Hana learned who she was, what her purpose was, and how brave she can look death in the face.

I loved the description of the ship Cyclo and the humanoids that came with Fenn on that one way mission to gather data. Didn't think I'd like t
Kat
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I got this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!*

Can we first take a moment and appreciate this beautiful cover? Which was what made me take a closer look at this book because it's so pretty. And also fits the story really well, a detail I just picked up after finishing and staring at the cover again.

Secondly, the content of the book was amazing as well. It is exactly the kind of sci-fi I love. It's quite light, but with enough technical details that
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
The ending of Toxic was more gripping than the beginning, but the story didn’t manage to really suck me in.

Toxic is a YA science fiction novel following two teens aboard the dying biological space-habitat Cyclo. Hana was created in secret by her mother in violation of the community population laws and has never been outside her room or interacted with anyone besides her mother and Cyclo. Then, she wakes up and finds the ship deserted. Fennec is a member of a science expedition made up of crimina
Donald Kirch
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just...wow!!
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Many thanks to Entangled Teen for providing me with this E-Arc of Toxic in exchange for an honest review.

Life on the ship Cyclo is closely monitored and the population is capped at 1000. Unknown to the rest of the crew, there is a 1001st member. That person is Hana. Hidden by her mother for 16 years, Hana wakes up one day to an empty ship. Everyone has evacuated without her. Cyclo has been Hana's only friend for her whole life and they communicate easily, but now Cyclo is dying. When a crew arri
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, ebooks
You can see my full review here!

*I received an eArc of this book from the Publishers through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

I in truth had quite a deal of fun with this one, but it did take a while for me to get emotionally invested in the events taking place. This books pacing was sluggish, yet I look up after one sitting and find myself halfway through? It did take a little over half the book for things to pick up, but this was a read that felt took a while to get through.

I found i
Jo Ladzinski
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Read my NetGalley eARC. Opinions are my own

Did you love Annihilation and wish it took place on the Nostromo? This book was written specifically for you. Seventeen-year-old Hana has lived on a bioship named Cyclo until a crew of criminals shows up to do some research. Cyclo is dying and it's a race against time and trust before the ship consumes them all.

This book is so immersive. Kang has a background in medicine and physiology and it really shows here. Clearly, every aspect of the ship had been
Ayah
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Behold my heart, cause my universe has just shattered apart! Last year I read and loved The November Girl ( read my review here), so I decided to have Toxic on my most anticipated books to read in 2018, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The world building blew my mind. I think Lydia Kang has an eye for personifying settings, and she does it with such elegance and innovation, that no amount of words could ever suffice to describe it.

The setting of this story is Cyclo, a dying spaceship in outer place, a
Carol Riggs
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich with creative sci-fi worldbuilding details, this book was a fascinating read, and the tension kept building as the time grew shorter and shorter for the characters to survive on the ailing bio-ship, Cyclo. For readers who prefer their novels less graphic or violent, this might not be the book for you. Ditto for a fast-track romance to teen sex, but at least those scenes weren’t detailed. Overall, this book was enjoyable to explore, with mystery, danger, romance, and a cast of well-drawn cha ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Toxic by Lydia Kang - Starting Oct 14, 2018 10 10 Oct 25, 2018 09:20AM
  • Star-Crossed
  • This Splintered Silence
  • Sea of Strangers (The Ryogan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Summer Invitation
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • War of the Wilted (Garden of Thorns, #2)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • Conquest Earth (Tarizon Trilogy #3)
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • The Artisan of Light (Haunted Hearts Legacy, #4)
  • Swans and Klons
  • The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
  • Ida
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Analee, In Real Life
  • Future Threat (Future Shock, #2)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World
  • Cross Fire (Exo #2)
I love salt more than chocolate. I'm somewhat small, yet deceptively strong. Sort of like an ant.

I'm a part time doc, full time family member, and if you offer me snacks, I'll be a friend for life.

My adult fiction debut is an historical forensic mystery, entitled A BEAUTIFUL POISON from Lake Union Publishing. My second book, THE IMPOSSIBLE GIRL, arrives September 2018.

I have a nonfiction adult b