Start by marking “Royal Bastard (Instantly Royal #1)” as Want to Read:
Royal Bastard (Instantly Royal #1)

Royal Bastard

(Instantly Royal #1)

Efficient, level-headed, and always focused, Brooke Chapman-Powell takes her position as the Earl of Englefield's personal secretary very seriously. So when the Earl asks her to teach his in-all-likelihood-uncouth-and-rather-forward American bastard grandson how to be a proper earl, Brooke is determined to do whatever it takes to make a go of it.

Nick Vane has about two gaz
Published June 8th 2019 by Entangled: Amara (first published February 26th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Royal Bastard, please sign up.
RNDK Yes. June 8th 2020 is the release date I saw on Amazon.com Kindle ebook.
RNDK Amazon has it being released June 8th 2020.

Start your review of Royal Bastard (Instantly Royal #1)
OLT
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't remember how I happened upon this book, nor do I understand why I read beyond its title to get to the book description. ROYAL BASTARD. 'Nuff said there to turn me off. I'm a romance reader who doesn't mind a royal or two in historical romances, but these modern-day princes and princesses from fictional kingdoms who come to America (or other places) and fall in love with commoners just seem silly to me.

Well, it turns out there's not really any royal here at all. There is an English earl a
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4.25 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

Royal Bastard was such a fun, sexy, and sweet modern-day royalty story. It had all of Avery Flynn's humor entwined with a heart that drags you into these characters' lives. Brooke is trying to save her town, and Nick is jaded to the point he doesn't see what is right in front of him. I loved the connection that Brooke and Nick have from the very start of the story.

Video review available in Week 23: May 31 – Jun 6 weekly book reviews.

For other video book reviews, check
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Well, what a change for Ms. Flynn. Nope, still a Rom-com but a totally different direction. And, I LOVED IT! Brooke was a hoot. Lady Lemon was prim and proper. But, when Brooke came out to play, she was anything but. Trying to put her past behind her, she will do just about anything for the people of Bowhaven. Even take on teaching an uncouth American how to become an Earl. In a month. With no help from the ailing Earl. Chin up … chest out … deep breath. Time to take on the task of a lifetime. N ...more
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

This book was such a great escape. I was pulled into this story effortlessly. Avery Flynn always knows how to hook me on a story so that I never want to let go.

I really liked how this story was a change of pace for Flynn. This book is set in England and I liked her portrayal of a small English village. Her writing style was as addicting as ever. I can never get enough of her
Cathleen Ross
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Royal Bastard is a lovely read. Avery Flynn manages to pump the fun, emotion and heartbreak right through the book.
Nick Vane, thinks his father is not much more than a DNA donor given someone sends cheques from England on a regular basis. He adored his late mother, but her death effectively ends the relationship, leaving Nick alone.

Brook is the Vane earl's PA. Her duty is to get the reluctant Nick to England, and teach him how to be an earl, because the present earl is developing Alzheimer's dis
Elaine
This is a steamy, fun, contemporary romance mainly set in Yorkshire, England, though the male lead initially lives in America. He's Nick Vane, a successful inventor, who has never known his father as anything but his DNA donor. He's not amused when his grandfather's personal secretary, Brooke Chapman-Powell, keeps contacting him trying to get him to visit . . . . he's not interested in being the heir to the Earl of Englefield. However Brooke is persistent and he's intrigued enough to agree to go ...more
Amy [Book Addict Reviews]
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Royal Bastard is such a fun read. Brooke is the PA to the earl. Nick is the earl’s only surviving heir. Nick’s grandfather and current earl paid off his mother when he was just a baby, so Nick wants nothing to do with that side of his family, however, Nick still goes to England.

Brooke’s love for her town and her determination to make sure the properties the earl controls is amazing. You can feel how much she cares about it. I loved Nick, he was definitely a fish out of water when he first arriv
Siobhan
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m always eager to dive into the next Avery Flynn release, and I’ve been desperate to dive into Royal Bastard since I heard the first thing about it. It comes as no surprise to know I devoured this one in a single sitting.

As always with Avery Flynn, I was pulled into the story from the first page and fell deeper in love with each detail I read. I adored the characters and I was hooked on their chemistry. The storyline pulled me in deep, with there being plenty of amusing moments throughout. In
Timitra
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rated 3.5 Stars

Royal Bastard is a cute and sweet story. It's also sexy with a bit of angst. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Eileen
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Avery Flynn has done it again with her wonderful, snarky, and funny book, Royal Bastard, book one in her Instantly Royal series. When the Earl of Englefield is dying he needs his personal secretary to convince his grandson, an American, to travel to England, be responsible, and to become the next earl. This is the grandson he refused to acknowledge all these years, especially after forcing his son to annul his marriage to an American and return to his rightful place. Nick Vane has no desire to v ...more
Kari Hansen
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nick has always believed that his father wanted to become an Earl more than he wanted to be with him and his mother so when he is contacted by Brooke, a representative of his Grandfather’s asking him to come to England and assume the position of Earl, his first impulse is a strong no. but there is something about her that draws him in and before he knows it he is on a plane intending to tell them no in person but he hadn’t expected to be persuaded by Brooke to stay.

Brooke wants to help out the t
Nicole ReadingBetweenTheSheets
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Royal Bastard is a fun, opposites attract romance! Author Avery Flynn has written another LOL romance…this one heading over waters with the characters! Nick and Brooke are an enjoyable slower-burn romance story. Super fun read that is a bit different than the regular romance. 4 stars!
Kate Grand {A Grand Romance}
Royally Charming

Avery Flynn does it again with this hot and steamy yet charming fish out of water tale. Nick is a great book boyfriend and I recommend this book to everyone who wants a fun fairy tale of a story set in a little village in England. Couldn't put it down!
TheEuphoricZat
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have loved every Avery Flynn book I have read so far and this one is no different.
Dawn
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
This was a quick read, it was funny and hot. I really felt like I knew the characters, this story is so well written.
Holly
**I received this ARC for free in exchange for an honest review.**

When Avery Flynn announced that this was going to be released this year, I immediately added it to my TBR - even though there was no real release date as of then. Then COVID-19 hit and all release dates ended up going wonky - I got no fewer than three emails from Amazon about this title with different dates (because of course I preordered it as soon as I could), so it kind of dropped off my radar. I knew it was coming out and
Laurie
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Avery Flynn has done it again! I adored "Royal Bastard," the funny, sweet, heartwarming story of an American man suddenly and unexpectedly forced to learn how to act as a proper English earl. His tutor in this endeavor was not always quite as prim and proper as she tried to make herself out to be, and sparks flew between the two of them from their very first meeting. The slow burn of main characters Nick and Brooke's relationship development kept me on the edge of my seat, just waiting for them ...more
B-Books Review
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book from this author and did not disappoint! Even though the writing style (3rd person) is not my favorite, I was quick to catch up with the story. The book had a lot of things I loved, such as royal trope, some wit and good banter content, families interactions and good friendships.

Nickolas (Nick) Vane only knows one things when related to family, his father and grandfather are devils and left him and his mom behind when he was only a baby. Since then, after his mom died, he l
Gsmitty
If you're looking for a long lost heir, a prim and proper snarky Brit, a go with the flow brash American, and a wonderful village full of people to set the scene, look no further than Royal Bastard by Avery Flynn!
Nick wants nothing to do with his grandfather, his legacy, his ancestral home, England, or the impertinent yet curious personal secretary that won't stop hounding him to visit, to return to his roots.
Brooke wants nothing more than to do her job well, to love and support her village, an
Olivia
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it

ROYAL BASTARD follows Brooke and Nick. Brooke is the personal secretary of an Earl, who asks for her help in tracking down his heir- a grandson he rejected as a baby, and whose mother he paid off to keep the baby away from his family. To add insult to injury, when Nick's mother died, the Earl still wanted nothing to do with him and Nick was put into foster care. So when Brooke keeps reaching out, Nick wants nothing to do with it.

Brooke is worried what will happen to the properties the E
Mags
4.25⭐

Royal Bastard was a wonderful read that drew me in from the start. As American inventor Nick travels to England and the home of his grandfather the Earl of Englefield for one reason, and one reason only, and that is to tell the Earl where he can stick his title. And I was really excited to see this story was set in England. But admittedly I was also a little nervous as sometimes authors can mangle the words we Brits speak or at least regularly use words we wouldn't. But I can safely say on
Emma
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-wishlist
While Royal B@st@rd is a cute romance with wonderful characters who appear opposite but have far more in common than anticipated.

For me, Royal B@st@rd was a succinct narrative of the classist system still alive and well in the UK with the gap continuing to widen between the working class and the upper and middle classes.

As a member of the working class myself, and a socialist, the story did hit a few hot spots for me, including the superior attitude of the landed gentry and the way in which duty
Amanda Locke
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020, swoon
I was gifted an eARC of Royal Bastard by the author in exchange for an honest review. The following opinions are entirely my own, unfiltered as usual.

Royal Bastard is the first in a series of stories by Avery Flynn. The release date has been pushed back several times but did finally and officially release on Tuesday June 9, 2020 across all digital platforms.

Our story centers on Brooke Chapman-Powell, secretary to the Earl of Englefield and Nick Vane, the unwilling and uncooperative heir to the E
Linda
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. I have not read many books from the author, but so far, of those few, this one is my favorite. I liked Nick. Although a commitment-phobe, given everyone he has cared about has left him, either intentionally or not, he is a good person. Understandable why he is angry with his grandfather and not inclined to go to England to become his heir, but he does go after much persuasion from Brooke. Got to hand it to her, the girl is PERSISTENT and for very good reason. A rock ...more
Elizabeth
Shelves: arc, eram
In Royal Bastard, Avery Flynn introduces us to a new group of characters. We meet Nick, the American grandson on an English earl, Brooke, the earl’s secretary, and the town of Bowhaven.

This was a fun read that also showed us that not everything is as it seems. Nick really is a good guy, he has plenty of baggage from the way he thinks things played out with his parents. I loved getting to know him, seeing his interactions with the town, and his desire to help and fix things.
It took a little mor
Melena Torretta
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs, 2020
Avery Flynn has proven, once again, why she is one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed reading about Nick and Brooke so much that I read the book in less than 24 hours.

Nick is charming, handsome, smart, and sure he does not want to become the Earl of Englefield. He never knew his father or his grandfather and doesn't even plan on making the trip to meet his grandfather, the current Earl. Brooke, the Earl's personal secretary, convinces him to come and then challenges him to stay for at least a lit
Romance Schmomance (Malia)
Well Royal Bastard was a fun read that I just devoured. It's a bit different than the previous sport romances that I've read by Avery, so I loved the little switcheroo.

The synopsis sold me completely and I just couldn't wait to start reading. I enjoyed the heck out of Brooke and Nick, these two were like oil and water in the beginning. So I was a fan of the shift as they were forced to spend time together as she groomed him to be the new earl. It's a ride, everyone, and you'll enjoy every second
Diane McConnell
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Brooke had to teach Nick but was he ready to learn?

Nick is happy staying in Salvation and inventing things that made him money but there was something about all the letters and calls from Brooke Chapman-Powell to at least visit his grandfather, the Earl of Englefield. Brooke needed American Nick Vane to agree to be the next earl because if he didn’t, Dallinger Park would be sold and cause even more problems for the area when the factory closed.

Brooke’s job was to teach Nick to love Englefield en
Brook Obsessed
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A feisty and charming forced proximity romance where Brooke is obligated to train the one remaining heir of Bowhaven, Nick Vane, into becoming a perfectly capable Earl. A steamy and quaint opposites attract fairytale with some sizzling moments.

Blurb: Brooke, the secretary for the Earl of Engefield, is given the task to train the Earl’s estranged grandson into taking over the position of Earl, but Nick wants nothing to do with his grandfather and the small town of Bowhaven.

Brooke and Nick are opp
Sapphyria
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Earl of Englefield has requested his personal assistant, Brooke Chapman-Powell to get his estranged, American grandson to England. Brooke knows her job depends on getting Nick to the estate. She also knows that once she can finally get him to England, Brooke will have to teach Nick how to act and behave like a proper earl. Brooke underestimated how difficult it would be.

Nick Vane has absolutely no desire to fly away from his home in the States into an estate and Earldom, let alone meet the g
« previous 1 3 next »
Royal Bastard/Instantly Royal Series In Print ONLY? 1 29 Feb 26, 2019 08:35AM

• Last Day
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Wedding at the Riverview Inn (Riverview Inn, #1)
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • Tangled Up in Texas (Lone Star Ridge #1)
  • Hers to Tame (NOLA Knights, #2)
  • His to Defend
  • Then, Now, Always
  • Cottage at the Beach (The Off Season #1)
  • To Tame a Texas Cowboy (Wishing, Texas Book 3)
  • Jet Set Confessions
  • Texas on My Mind (Heart of Texas Book 2)
  • Cowboys Don't Stay (Code of the West #3; Tanner Brothers #3)
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • Hot Holiday Rancher (Texas Cattleman’s Club: Houston, #9)
  • A Christmas Wish (Sapphire Bay, #3)
  • Christmas with Angel (Last Chance #1)
  • A Christmas Bond (Sacred Bond, #0.5)