Start by marking “The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook

The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook

Cooking is easier when an expert shows, step-by-step, how to
prepare a recipe. We planned this cookbook so that even a
beginning cook could successfully use our recipes simply by
.t-ollowing the diagrams of the steps along with the recipe itself. In
this collection of recipes, we demonstrate all the fundamental
cooking techniques, from folding in e
Published October 1st 1980 by Hearst Communications (first published 1973)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,179 books — 1,086 voters
Hershey's One Hundredth Anniversary Cookbook by The Hershey CompanyThe Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook by The Ghirardelli Chocolate C...Classic Cookbook Hershey's by The Hershey CompanyPhiladelphia Cream Cheese Cookbook by Kraft Foods Group Inc.Velveeta Incredibly Easy Recipes by Publications International
Corporate Cookbooks
213 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

etherealfire
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a bad, bad girl. I "borrowed" this book from my little sister and never managed to give it back because just like my BH&G Cookbook (my mom-in-law legacy), my classic Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook (my mom legacy), this book is an essential for really good, really simple, home cooking. But all is forgiven, because my sister has lived with us for almost as long as the book and is part of a happily shared resource book for the whole family. The thing I love the most about this book (and why ...more
Danae
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the answer to life. Who needs to go online or try to keep their iPhone clean while cooking when you have this book. And it tells you everything you need to know about every vegetable, fruit, and kind of meat imaginable. Even ducklings. Although I'll never be able to convince my boyfriend to let me try cooking ducklings. But if I did, I would at least know how to do it.
Rebecca Daniel
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cooking is a skill which some naturally have and then there are those who need some help. This is where this cookbook comes in. Whether you are a beginner or an expert this book can help you learn how to cook many exotic and everyday recipes, or can it? This book is about classic, advanced, and even everyday recipes. It starts in the order of the meal such as appetizers, the meal, salads, breads, and desserts. Will it turn out the way it looks in the picture? Will the food taste as good as it lo ...more
Jocelyn
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is *so* twentieth-century Standard American Diet - a ton of meat/poultry/fish dishes, scant ideas for vegetables - so not unexpectedly there was little useful for my me personally, but for its purpose, I found it well-selected and well-illustrated. I'll likely keep it around on my reference shelf and for anthropological reasons.
Michele
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-baking
My absolute favourite cookbook!!!
Gloria
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite cookbooks. I love love love how every recipe in the book is categorized and pictured in the front of the book. I've found recipes in here that I thought I'd never find anyway. Excellent book.

And buy the way, I don't date any of these cookbooks in my collection as I never Finish a cookbook!
Lori Chambers
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my family's go-to cookbook for everything. Want to know how to prepare and roast a whole chicken? It's there. Want a classic vanilla birthday cake? Yep, it's there too. This is the cookbook that is always given to everyone at some point in their life because it's a great starter for all cooks.
Kyle
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Easy to follow menus with a picture of every finished recipe. This is a must buy for any cook just starting out.
Marcia
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning cooks and anyone who needs a good cooking reference
Shelves: cookbooks
When people learn I cook, I'm often asked what is the one cookbook you'd recommend for the beginning cook - this is it. It has a wide spectrum of recipes covering everything from appetizers to desserts, the instructions are simple and clear, every single recipe I've tried from this book has turned out, and, most importantly for new cooks, every single recipe has a color picture of the final dish.

When I was just learning to cook, my problem with trying new recipes was that I had no id
Valerie
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My grandmother gave me this book the year I left home - 1980. I have used it many, many times to make yummy dinners, desserts and veggie dishes. And I have spent many more hours sitting down and scanning through the illustrated pages at the front of the book that show photos of every dish in the book. Seeing the photo gives me a good idea if I can make the dish, and how I will serve it. Each chapter and most recipes show prep techniques so you can see how to do some steps. Which is incredibly he ...more
Chaosru
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
My father ordered this book for me one Christmas. I learned to cook as a teen with this book and the Joy of Cooking. This one, however, offered handy pictures of the finished product and several tips that a teen needs, like how to set a table or plan a complete meal.

This book actually taught me how to make fine pastries, chocolate mousse and good rustic breads, with the ingredients I was likely to find in the average grocery store. My Thanksgiving stuffing and several recipes that I have been k
Jessi
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This is such an oldie but goodie that it deserves a read by every cook, from beginner to pro. The best part for beginners is the breakdown of basic skills at the beginning of each section, like how to hard boil perfect eggs, work with yeast in dough, cut fish filets without bones, roast turkey, and bake cookies that won't burn. These are nicely illustrated and followed by both common recipes, variations, and some unique twists. Unfortunately, I found many of the "unique" recipes to be horrifying ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Of the over a couple of dozen cookbooks in our shelves, this general cookbook is the one we've used the most over the years--you can tell from how it's falling apart, battered and stained. Yes, it's pretty old--from before I was born, and Joy of Cooking, which we bought last year, has come to replace this as our go-to book--maybe more because we don't have to deal with pages falling out everywhere. But as a basic cookbook, this was hard to beat.
Anne Foley
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It taught me how to cook at 23 and just married (now age 55!) - I am no longer married but still have this wonderful book and the memories of it's exploration...

The book is held together with mailing tape and it's pages are covered with food stains on the many recipes that I made. The pictures were the best part for a young cook; just learning.

It makes me smile now - and remember - kind of like the memory of a "first love" (not the former husband-the book!). :-)
Kim
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This beloved cookbook was a gift from my grandmother in 1986. Recently, my daughter began asking me for recipes, many of which were from this book. I found a used copy and sent it to her to have for her own. It's a wonderful guide, particularly for beginners in the kitchen (lots of pictures and instructions on how to prepare everything from raw fruits and vegetables to blini with caviar).
Judi
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our first copy of this book began to fall apart from use, so when I found this one in a thrift shop I snapped it up. This contains my favorite "scratch" pancake recipe as well as basic recipes and instructions for almost anything that you might want to make and a good basic muffin recipe with variations. Lots of basic recipes and intructions on many different dishes. A favorite.
Carol
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was loaned to me by my best friend Jan (before she was my bff I should add), I never gave it back. It can teach you how to make ANYTHING. It's original purpose for me was to make a wedding cake (with my daughter and her friend Erin) for Jan's sister, complete with fondant icing and piping. Thanks Jan! -We did get you another one, didn't we? -
Kim
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cookbooks
I call this cookbook my Old Reliable. It's older than me and has never failed me once. (Well, once, but I'm pretty sure that was user error)

I'm also convinced this book is magic, because every time I flip through it, I find a recipe that I don't remember seeing before.

If someone came and tried to take away all my cookbooks, this is the one I'd fight for.
S Vanorse
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just dug this out for the millionth time, just for the éclair recipe, the vanilla pastry cream is to die for. My son-in-law reminded me how good they are, hint, hint, make them soon. As I leafed through the book I was reminded of all the wonderful recipes it contains.
Jodi
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite all-around cookbook. This book has simple, easy to use recipes for everyday use. Many of my cookbooks have specialized recipes with strange ingredients that I will rarely use. This one helps me with the recipes I make more frequently, like pancakes, muffins, or meatloaf.
Shelia
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best all-around cookbook. Got it as a shower present almost 30 years ago and it is still the first cookbook I reach for. Pictures of every recipe in the front of the book make it easy to flip through for ideas.
Alyse
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have three different editions of this book going back 40 years. I love everything about it and use it freuquently. The brownies are the best that Ive ever had. And the braided bread is probably the best bread Ive ever baked.
Becky
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
I have an earlier edition of this book. I still remember when my mother started using it when I was in elementary school. It revolutionized dinner at my house. Also, the recipe for spahgetti with four cheeses is great for carbo-loading the night before a race.
Kathleen LiCastri
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Useful for it's wide-reaching selection and wealth of information. Photos have a now dated look and often leave me uninspired but I won't donate this book. Was a bridal shower gift yrs. ago but I still find it a useful resource now & again.
Diane
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
i really like this cookbook. it has a color picture for every dish offered; my only quibble is that all the pictures are close to the beginning of the book, instead of on the page each recipe is on. but on the whole, a really nice book
Dee
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I received this book as a teenager (much older edition). It's a great introductory book to cooking. Mine is spattered and stained, and I still pull it out for references to items I don't cook very often (turnips).
Nicole
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my cooking bible. I refer to it for anything I don't know or am not sure of. Try the Black Forest Cake recipe! My husband loves it. I think every household should have this book.
Charlotte
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For more than 30 years this is my all-time favorite and go to cookbook!
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
With my first paycheck, I bought this cookbook. It was an invaluable reference book and helped get me through college.
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned how to cook with this book. Made moo goo gai pan with my dad when I was about 10. Still use recipes from it today.

• The America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Become a Great Cook
  • Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, Facsimile Edition
  • New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant
  • Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way
  • America's Best Lost Recipes
  • Fannie Farmer Baking Book
  • Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor
  • In the Kitchen with Rosie: Oprah's Favorite Recipes
  • Where's Mom Now that I Need Her?: Surviving Away from Home
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • 30-Minute Get Real Meals: Eat Healthy Without Going to Extremes
  • Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American
  • Paula Deen's My First Cookbook
  • The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook: Over 1,250 of Our Best Recipes
  • The Compleat I Hate to Cook Book
  • Joy of Cooking: All About Pasta & Noodles
  • Cooking For Dummies
The Good Housekeeping Institute was created to provide readers of Good Housekeeping magazine with expert consumer advice and delicious, classic and contemporary east-to-follow recipes. These ideals still hold true today. The institute team are all experienced cooks, home economists and consumer researchers. They test the lastest products in purpose-built, modern kitchens, where every recipe published in the m ...more