Start by marking “The Sixth Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Sixth Christmas

The Sixth Christmas

Jack doesn’t exactly hate Christmas. It’s just that the holidays are a minefield of memories and mixed feelings, and he’s better off working late than celebrating.

Then, on Christmas Eve, Jack experiences a freak accident — the catalyst for a mysterious journey that sends him thirty years into his own past. As his history unwraps itself, Jack is propelled through his most
Published December 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Sixth Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sixth Christmas

Start your review of The Sixth Christmas
Christine Smith
This little novella was completely full of heart. The writing instantly transports you into Jack's world as he has to relive some of the worst Christmas Eve's of his life. Everything felt so REAL. I devoured it in one sitting and I was nearly moved to tears by the end.

If you're looking for a sweet and quick Christmas read, this is it!
Angie Thompson
Gaaaahhhh--I'm not crying; you're crying!!!

Okay, maybe I didn't actually cry, but I got pretty close! This little story pulled me in from the opening paragraphs and still hasn't let go. It put a smile on my face and an ache in my heart and finally gave me a Christmas Carol adaptation that I can read without worrying about creepy feelings or weird theological arguments! XD I absolutely adored Jack, in spite of all his flaws, and Jenna was just the perfect icing on the cake. So. Much. Yes!!! <3<3<
E.F.B.
I loved this modern take on a Christmas Carol-esque story. It was different enough from Dickens's tale that I wouldn't call it a retelling, but there were definitely echoes of the classic. I liked that it lacked the creepiness of A Christmas Carol, though, and also had a dash of sweetness and faith without overdoing the sugar and not becoming preachy. Overall, this Christmas story is like a well made pastry: balanced and highly satisfying.
Mary
I recently bought, read, and LOVED The Sixth Christmas, a holiday novelette by Mollie E. Reeder. I wanted to turn around and read it again long before I even finished my first read.

It's a perfect Christmas-y tale of redemption, and a worthy successor to A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life.

Jack hates Christmas, and only a shocking disaster and crisis of existence has a chance of changing that. He's a workaholic jerk who's also charismatic and surprisingly lovable. The reader gets to wit
Allison Tebo
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, v
Imagine a contemporary A Christmas Carol with a less creepy story line and you might have an approximation of this story. After inhaling Mollie Reeder’s The Electrical Menagerie, I was eager to try anything else by this authoress, but wasn’t sure what to expect from this altogether different premise. Never fear, the Reeder touch is still present.

The novella moves along at a strong clip, sweeping us up into the main character’s confused plunge through a succession of dreams – or are they dreams?
emrys merlin
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC
Deborah O'Carroll
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Aaahh! How is this author so amazing?? 😭 😍 *hugs story* Fantastic Christmas short story! I loved it so much. Just meant to read the first page and then couldn't put it down. ^_^
Katelyn Buxton
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I heard that Mollie E. Reeder had written a retelling of A Christmas Carol I knew I had to read it! And I wasn’t disappointed. Jack was a likeable character despite all of his many shortcomings, and I read quickly through this heart-warming novelette! My only gripe is that first-person POV always makes it difficult for me to get into a book, and for those who may be concerned, there are many references to alcoholism, one mention of “a four-letter word”, and a feminist woman who proposed to ...more
Emily
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely quick read

Solid little story that kept me guessing until the end. I was a little surprised at the sudden love thread, but maybe I was missing subtle hints at the beginning. All around enjoyable read.
Ariel Masters
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh.My. Word!

I loved this story so much! It was fresh and just... lovely. The writing style and tight sentences, the character and fast pace swept me away. Loved!!!
Shannon Hiner
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable take on "A Christmas Carol" set in modern day, with a workaholic stand-in for Scrooge. Right away the reader can sense an over-whelming sadness within Jack that is more than holiday-blues, it's a melancholy that has taken over his life.

This story was an engaging look into what makes up a life, and what a life needs to be made up of. Yes, it's a 'holiday novelette', but I read it in April with no problem. The holiday, Christmas, is not really what it's about.

The Sixth Christmas is
Catherine Stein
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicely written

An odd little story with a time-hopping feel reminiscent of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Well written and enjoyable to read.
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
I loved Sixth Christmas yet again on the reread! This story charming little holiday story had me grinning ear to ear. I’ve read and enjoyed Reeder’s most beloved piece, The Electrical Menagerie—but, as far as my personal taste goes, this is Reeder’s golden work!

I’ve encountered my fair share of A Christmas Carol retellings in my life, and until now I have never been too impressed. They usually struggle to either put a unique spin on the tale or capture the story’s classic, uplifting tone. I am p
Gretchen
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun Christmas Read

For fans of A Christmas Carol It’s a Wonderful life.
Reminiscent of Scrooged, Jack is a workaholic who prefers a late night in the office to actually celebrating Christmas. A freak accident takes Jack on a journey through time to uncover the sadness that surrounds him at Christmas.
It’s a tight story with an intriguing premise and a flawed but likable hero.
Rachel Atterholt
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

Amazing story bringing the power of Christmas Carol with just a bit of It's A Wonderful Life thrown in. A brilliant short tale of redemption, faith, and second chances. Loved it and will read it again and again. And not just during the Christmas season.
Kyle
This is Mollie E. Reeder’s debut in published fiction, and it’s a terrific start to her career. Given its time-travel themes, it’s basically sci-fi, though genre and timey-wimey mechanics are the last thing on the reader’s mind while engrossed in this story. The thing you’ll care about most is the heartwarming--and at times, heart-wrenching--journey of its main character, Jack. An accident forces him onto a Dickensian journey along his timeline, bringing him face to face with his past, present, ...more
Julia Garcia
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nostalgic

Loved, loved, loved this book! Th novellette had such a nostalgic feel. It's like "The Christmas Carol" meets "It's a Wonderful Life". These are two of My favorite stories and the mixture was perfect!
Liz Koetsier
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This was such fun! I didn't know what to expect in this story, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It's a fast read, with gorgeous prose, best read by dim lighting on a Christmas Eve. It was amusing and capturing at the same time!
T.A.
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming Christmas tale

This was a quick, fun Christmas read with a compelling protagonist. It was pretty predictable and played out exactly as I expected, but it was an enjoyable read nonetheless.
Michelle Bruhn
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, contemporary
It always amazes me when a story can get me invested in a character's journey with a very small page count. This one did it marvelously! I would totally read another story with Jack and/or Jenna at the center, but this story was also perfect on its own. Beautiful.
Merie Shen
I love retellings of "A Christmas Carol," and this one did not disappoint 😝
Abby Jones
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This quick little read is a fun Christmas story about a man learning from his past and finding love. I enjoyed it very much.
Kaley Rhea
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very low time commitment amid the holiday bustle that still delivered all the feelings and really set me firmly into a Christmas mindset.

Becca
[3.5 out of 5 stars]

Short but sweet retelling of A Christmas Carol. I enjoyed it and will definitely read more from Mollie E. Reeder!
Pamela
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful modern retelling of A Christmas Carol. Perfect for Christmas. I wish it was longer, but I realise that it would ruin the story. Such a treat. ...more
Kristin Wallin
Bethany Jennings
Jun 27, 2018
Lemon
Mar 04, 2020

• Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Moonscript
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • Christmas at the Circus
  • Beast in the Machine
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • The Princess and the Peacock (Birds of Fae, #1)
  • Poppy's Peril (The Tales of Ambia)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • A Royal Masquerade  (The Tales of Ambia #2)
  • Gruff (Once Upon a Western #1.7)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
Mollie’s first job was with a major theme park, where she operated a roller coaster, fixed parade floats, and helped Scooby-Doo put on his head. Now, Mollie is a movie producer and the author of character-driven science fiction/fantasy novels for adults who never outgrew imagination. Her favorite things include Jesus, dinosaurs, and telling cinematic stories that blend glitter and grit.

News & Interviews