Start by marking “Crazy in Love” as Want to Read:
Crazy in Love

Crazy in Love

In this acclaimed early novel New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice takes readers on an intensely moving journey through the intimate terrain of a rapturous marriage in sudden jeopardy–and follows one woman’s courageous search to find her way when everything, even her heart, seems lost.…

Georgie Symonds didn’t think anything could shake her perfect marriage. She and
Published January 31st 2006 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy in Love

Kris - My Novelesque Life
2.5 STARS

"Georgie Swift Symonds is crazy in love with her Wall Street lawyer husband Nickso ''crazy'' in fact, that she has paranoic fantasies that he is unfaithful, and she hounds him with obsessive suspicions. And, she so cherishes her familyher pugnaciously senile grandmother Pem; her TV-celebrity mother Honora; her sister Clare, brother-in-law Donald and two nephewsthat she spends much of her time dreading any change or loss in their close intimacy. The three generations of women and the men
Ruthie
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
i fixed my books last night (for a photo shoot.. hahaha) and i realized that i have more than 10 luanne rice books.. ha! i guess i really like her books.. Crazy In Love is my third luanne rice for the month of march.. i’ll be moving on a new book tomorrow (hopefully Shooting Stars for my book club review)..

anyway, i liked this book, but not as much i did for the others.. Georgie Swift is a profiler who owns and manages Swift Observatory.. she interviews ordinary people who have extraordinary ex
Nenette
Oct 30, 2009 rated it liked it
It is true that the most endearing stories are those that touch on the most ordinary subjects. This one is a perfect example – in it’s “ordinariness”, it elicits more empathy, and the audience is more captivated. Again, as in the other of Luanne Rice’s novels, I was able to easily relate to the Catholic background, the tight-knit families, and I must admit, to the character of Gerogie Swift who consciously gets suspicious of the goings-on between her husband and his female colleague. Though susp ...more
Tracy Smith
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
With a title like "Crazy in Love", I'm not sure what I was expecting. Love can make you crazy is what this author gets across in a very fine fashion, but also that it can and should prevail in the end. This story of Georgie Swift and her wonderful family had its ups and downs all through the book and facing each twist and turn is what keeps you coming back for more. Georgie finds herself dealing with every emotion that you could possibly think of. Jealousy, disconnectedness, brief and subtle out ...more
Jasmin
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who believe in marriage and family
This is actually the first Luanne Rice book I've ever read.

It was a fast read and a page turner.

And I am a sucker for happy endings.

But given my mood for the recent days, I didn't want a happy ending for this book. I admire Nick's perseverance in the travels, but I hated his job. He always had to stay away and it frustrated me. However, the photographer is another story. I liked his job, and he would make things easy for Georgie. However, that wasn't how the story ended.

I though like how close
Kyle Ripley
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama
I generally like Luanne Rice, but this book was too lame for me. The main character was not crazy but obsessive in love. I couldn't really like her very much. She seemed to blame her mother for her insecurity and paranoia about infidelity and didn't take responsibility for her own issues. Luanne Rice fans could pass this one up easily and not miss anything.
Lola
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This book was exhausting. I can usually read a Luanne Rice book in 1-3days, this one took me a week. I like that the focus was on family, but maybe this particular family needed to broaden their horizons. Georgie was so frustrating. I think part of that is that I saw a bit of myself in her. When I was newly married at 21 I always wanted to be around my husband, not so much that I was scared he would cheat, but I wanted to know what he was doing at all times and that he was safe. Georgie has been ...more
Crystal
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rice does it again! In Crazy In Love, set in a quaint town in Connecticut on the Connecticut shoreline called Bennison Point, main character Georgiane "Georgie" Swift is the proud third generation of Bennison women on Bennison Point, Her mother Honora Swift, a former actress and doting mother of Georgie and sister Clare and caretaker of her elderly mother Pem smothers her daughters with her worrisome self and her distrust of men. This seed of resentment spill over into the marriages of her daugh ...more
Sue Lauzon
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first book that I have read by this author. I thought it was pretty good. At times the book got a little slow but then the pace would pick up again and I would not want to put it down.
Celeste
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didnt think this was going to be as good as it was. Now i cant wait to read the three others I have by her.
Julie Barrett
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crazy in Love by Luanne Rice
Georgia and Nick are the perfect couple. They live on the family compound.
Nick commutes via seaplane to work. He and 3 others work at Wall Street.
Seaside, CT maybe the binds are not so strong.
The grandmother has done and been doing some crazy things with paint around the house that is irreversible.
She secretly worked as a maid and saved the money for a surprise for Nick. He never suspects as he's so busy with billion dollar deals.
She was awarded grant money to study h
Janjohn
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite scene in this book was when Pem killed herself with a gun and Honora brought her back to life using her magic wand. It was also...

Okay. None of what I just typed really happened in this book. In fact, not much really happened. There were no fight scenes (except when Clare and Georgie fought inside the bathroom while cleaning Pem's bum)or any other "action" in it. It showed nothing but simplicity of day to day life. And I believe that that is what made this book so beautiful.

Okay. Goi
Wei Cho
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
More sappy romance anyone? I seem full of them three years ago. Anyway. I'm not unfamiliar with Luanne Rice's style of writing or the feelings she elicits in me whenever I pick one of her books to read. They are endearing and warming. Tales of ordinary people with lives about to collapse and the same lesson in all the books, pursue your dreams and aspirations, even if that means that you should abandon your current dreams. Just do it. Everything will be fine. Just strive for happiness and everyt ...more
AndreaH
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
"A woman's book."
Georgie loves her husband but has learned from her mom not to trust men. Her affair-a-phobia is destroying her marriage.
While hubby works long hours on Wall Street, she starts a project that is basically reporting on humanity. She wins a grant, which lets her travel and write more. As she does, she gains confidence in herself, but not her marriage. Meanwhile her hubby and a female law partner are cementing a delicate deal overseas.
On the home front, Georgie is flirting with a ph
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beach-read
A good conected family love story. Three related families living in a close area of land called Black Hall Bay in Connecticut. A marginal space between each family home living together in one small community. It was a delightful book about family bonds and how they made their lives safe and happy. Some family's can't live in close proxmity to one another but the Author made this one completely connected. I liked the book. It had a great story and fun to read. However, to me it made me feel like ...more
Becky
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is of a very tight knit family. Georgie feels she has the perfect marriage with Nick. Nick is consumed with his job on Wall Street and Georgie begins to feel left out and jealous with all sorts of suspicions. She begins her with the Swift Obeservatory which she examines peoples lives that have been changed dramatically by some sort of tragedy. Her she meets a very attractive photographer which makes her question her loyalty to her husband and this perfect marriage. The back and forth o ...more
Ellen Puccinelli
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My friends will probably think I'm crazy giving this book five stars; however, it is one of my favorite novels of all time! The first-person narration is fantastic, and I love everything about the story -- the relationship between the sisters, their mom, and their grandma; the observatory project taken on by the protagonist; the fact that two men in the story fly to work in a seaplane every day; the compound where the family lives ..... everything! Forget what you know about Luanne Rice based on ...more
Maria Miaoulis
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Unlike other Rice novels I've read, I wasn't too crazy about this one. The constant repetition made the story drag. Although there were a couple of shocking developments, I kept waiting for the book to "take off," but it never did. Rice's characters are always endearing, and I'm instantly transported to Connecticut's magical shoreline with her descriptions. However, I couldn't really get into this one.
Machel
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Getting ready to ready this after "The Guilty Ones" by Joanna Crispi. Luanne Rice is one of the best fictional writers on the planet. If you haven't read any of her 30 novels, yet, then you have lots to choose from. Here are my personal favorites:

"Summer Light"
"What Matters Most"
"Silver Bells"
Heather
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
This author is one that I have recently begun reading and have enjoyed. This book was a little odd and seemed to take awhile to get to the point. It was slow going for me and took me awhile to get into it. I did like it once it got going though. I will continue to read a few more of this author to see how they go.
Ana Maria
I'm not usually into romance books or anything like that, but this book was rather enjoyable. I especially loved the description of living in CT on the water and feeling so free and airy....that is what I truly loved. I also did enjoy the story as well!! It was a quick read and good for bedtime reading!
Dana Moore
Sep 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Most of the book was good, I didnt like how about 90% of the book talked about not trusting your spouses when you are away, many of the couples in the book had huge trust issues.

I did like the work that the main character did, she started a foundation to observe human behavior. Sounds like something I would really enjoy doing myself.
Bunny
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more for the family ties that are developed along the way than for the obsession that something "bad" was going to happen in the main character's life...she was set up by her mother to believe this while growing up. But the relationship with her mother, grandmother and sister was well done.
June
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Observers & Rice fans
Crazy in Love deals with the intricacies of relationships between four generations of women. This book deals with relationships & love: mother-daughter, sisters, intimacy-smothering love(what is too close), infidelity (fear of, trust), Grandma's senility and care. This should probably be a 3 and a half. I really looked forward to getting back to it.
Shirley
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The main character mentions God but I think she needs to rely on Him more. The Bible says God does not give us a spirit of fear, but she fears everything and most of it is in her imagination. Otherwise a good read but her negativity was a wet blanket
Alberta
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book's center theme is family and marriage.The main character is Georgie, who is so in love with her husband, she doesn't want to be away from him. This book is one of the author's earlier books and better written than the other ones to come.
Jennifer Kerstetter
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Crazy in Love was a good read, but not quite sure how this book kept my interest. There were no overly exciting attention grabbing parts. But something held my attention or I wouldn't have been able to finish. Anxious to read another Luanne rice novel to see how it compares.
Trish
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Great book about family dynamics between sisters, their mother, and a husband and wife. It seems like the main character and her behavior is far-fetched but I believe it's probably more common than we realize.
Karen Burck
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
A love story where this book takes you on an intensely moving journey through the intimate terrain of a rapturous marriage in sudden jeopardy and follows one woman's courageous search to find her way when everything, even her heart, seems lost.
Karen
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
it was a cute story around family and what happens when a loved one is unable to care for themselves --the demands of a career on a relationship. great family dynamics--It was not one of my fave books of Rices but I did enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Passions of Chelsea Kane
  • Family Blessings (Cisco, #2)
  • No Regrets
  • Sorceress (Medieval, #3)
  • The Captive
  • Passion and Pleasure in London (Charmed and Dangerous, #3)
  • Rogue's Salute (Masters at Arms, #3)
  • The Perfect Life
  • The Fortune Teller's Daughter
  • Damiano's Return
  • Carolina Isle
  • Flight Lessons
  • A Certain Smile
  • The Greek's Blackmailed Wife
  • Mistress by Marriage (Courtesan Court, #3)
  • With Song (Dolan Brothers, #3)
  • Act of Betrayal (Britt Montero, #4)
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-three novels including CLOUD NINE, BEACH GIRLS, and THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTER. LAST DAY will be out in February 2020. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She lives on the Connecticut shor ...more