Start by marking “The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 9” as Want to Read:
The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 9

The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 9

(The Ancient Magus' Bride #9)

A Deal with the Devil

Elias hoped to break the deadly draconic curse that weighs upon Chise–but his methods have created a rift between them. Now Chise prepares to make a gamble of her own: What could she possibly hope to gain from a bargain with Cartaphilus? It is a time of curses cast and forks in the road. Will the paths of master and apprentice soon diverge…?
Published September 11th 2018 by Seven Seas Entertainment (first published March 24th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 9

Rod Brown
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Every time I start one of the books in this series, I am completely lost. I cannot remember a single thing about what happened in the previous volume. There are just too many characters doing too many things that make almost no sense to me.

Even in my clueless state though, I get drawn into the art and the emotion of the story.

The next volume promises a new direction for the series that may make it easier for me to recall what's going on. It also helps that I have it on hand and will read it imm
Mir
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic
Another dense one, with lots of recurring characters and more backstory.
Actually managed to create some sympathy for Josef!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

We first meet Chise, chained by the neck and wrists being passed over to her new owner, a bone-headed mage whose name she learns later is Elias. A penniless orphan sold on the black market she learns about herself, the magical world filled with fairies and other fantastical creatures as well as what it means to be a part of a family. Her new life as a mage's apprentice is just the beginning as it comes with the secondary title of Ancient Magus'
Janis Kay
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, manga
So, we are now at the point where the anime ends. I WANT A SECOND SEASON IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!! Can't wait to delve into the next one!
Katja
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars (too hard to decide between 4 and 5...).

The currently latest tankobon of Ancient Magus’ Bride wraps one part of the story and hints the beginning of a new arc. Because the story continues, it doesn’t tie all the loose threads but gives a conclusion to Chise’s problem with the dragon’s curse.

Majority of the book nine is dedicated to Chise and Cartaphilus/Joseph and their fight. There are also flashbacks that reveal their pasts. It was interesting to finally see more of Chise’s childhoo
Annie (Putt)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
One of the reasons I enjoy The Ancient Magus' Bride was the beginning, how well it explained things going on in the world. Again, the lack of this occurring in this volume may be due to translation errors and not being able to fully grasp what's said in Japanese or the full meaning behind certain words or phrases, but I think it's more the style of manga as a whole.

Chise and Elias are a fascinating pair of people. I loved getting the backstory in this on both Chise and Josef, but getting the bac
Liliana
I liked it less than the previous books which is sad as it was the ending of an arc
Lavonia Reid
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, manga
A new arc begins.
Kelley
This volume is a bit overstuffed. Volume 10 will launch a new arc, so every character Chise has ever befriended appears in volume 9, she explores both her far and recent past. But because she is also bound with Joseph/Cartaphilus, we are shown his history as well. She also needs to decide if she will mend her relationship with Elias. It's a lot. The artwork, per usual, is beautiful and lush (and, in this volume, horrific), but the action scenes were often confusing. I adore this series and enjoy ...more
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some drama and a lot of resolution! Excited to see what next arc does! Art continues to be amazing.
Kristin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
An overstuffed finale to the first story arc that can serve as a season or series finale, depending on what you think of the story so far.

There are too many characters jostling for panel time and the boss battle was confusing and underwhelming, but it was worth it to see Chise give orders and take charge of her life for a change. The epilogue/prologue paves the way for more independence for Chise and a healthier dynamic between her and Elias.
Dubzor
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, that was disappointing.

This "climax" to the first story arc is a horrid mess of rushed ideas, utter confusion, and nonsense. At no point is it clear what's happening. Ashen Eye shows up for...some reason and does...something...that is bad? I don't know. I don't care really.

From here we go to a new story arc, but I'm sorry to say I won't be joining the author on this one.
DonutKnow
Can’t wait to read the next one! ❤❤

Isabella
Honestly, I did not expect shit to be thrown into the fan so damn hard...

but it has

and I LOOOOOOVE IT!!

Chelsea Gouin
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The previous volume had packed such a punch I just knew nothing would live up to it. I may have waited too long to read this next volume because some of the finer details were fuzzy. But Volume 9 wraps up the long arc of Josef. Chise must face her mistakes and fumbles along the way but not alone..she's managed to pick up some friends and fae that are ready to go to battle for her. And of course Elias. <3 I was only a touch disappointed in their reunion because my fangirl heart wanted more. Ul ...more
Karissa
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the ninth book in the Ancient Magus Bride series and it ties up the first story arc. I continue to really enjoy the characters, illustration, and the story in these.

Chise has been kidnapped by Josef/Cartaphilus. Josef wants to use her for her parts and is struggling with a curse of his own. This whole first part is a bit gorey as Josef steal Chise eyes. However, quickly after that Chise is rescued and her and Elias have to come to terms again with his over-protectiveness. Chise meanwhile
Lara
It had been awhile since I read volume 8, and I didn't quite remember what happened that made Chise leave. But even so, this installment felt...awkward. Several times the transitions were pretty much non-existent and it took some figuring out to realize the scene or time had changed, and it just felt...really messy. I liked finally getting Cartaphilus/Josef's story though, and am interested to see how college goes for Chise.
Jessica Eck
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
A very good end for the first story arc! We finally find out more about Chise's past, especially her mother, and

(view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to the next volume, however, I'm a bit sceptical about

Eden
Elias wanted to break the curse on Chise but she wasn't happy with his methods and it caused a rift between them. And Chise might take a risk of her own by bargaining with Cartaphilus.

Quite a bit of background on Cartaphilus. Also Chise. Makes you feel a bit sorry for Cartaphilus but not completely. Great artwork as always and I love how incredible the emotion is in this manga.

A chapter ends with this manga and a new one begins in the next. Hoping for a season two of the anime as well.
Ashley N.
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-manga
This volume finishes the arc. I enjoyed seeing Chise more willing to be her own person, and her recognizing her friends and how they support her. The whole marriage thing still kind of creeps me out, but Elias is still an interesting character and I do like reading about him. The volume suggests the next arc which sounds like magic school; I'm looking forward to that.
Stevie Thomas
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me a little bit to remember what was going on, but I got there! I'm intrigued that there will be another arc to this story, though I may or may not read it. I feel like this one concluded well enough. I still enjoy Ruth's character more than any other even though we didn't see much of him this round. Interesting story and character progression over all and the art was quite enjoyable.
Timothy Pitkin
That was a nice way to close out an arc and while it did feel like the end of a series type ending but their are enough loose threads that I can defiantly see where the story is going next. As we still have no idea about the origins or the fates of certain characters and their is still one villain running around so I am anxious to see where the next part of the story is going to go.
Barry Haworth
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume brings the story as far as the Anime series, and resolves some of the story lines that have been developing - the story with Cartaphilus, Chise's ongoing health problems, and some of the misunderstanding between Chise and Ainsworth.
Kameron Mitchell
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, no-buy
This was alright, I just wish the story telling weren’t so flowery and grandiose. The characters too, they are often so inconsistent that they kind of lose their individuality and turn in to one big confusing character.
Elizabeth
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed by how far these characters have come. This volume took all my pride and belief in Chise and repaid it tenfold. Too, every time her relationship with Elias changes, it takes my breath away, and this was no exception. I can't wait to keep reading and see how they grow.
Elizabeth
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And now I'm caught up! (At least, on the physical manga volumes in English...) The first 9 volumes cover the entire anime, except for the last few pages, which hint at the next arc, in which Chise finally enrolls in the magical college. Can't wait to continue this dark, fantastical series!
Debra
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, manga
So, now how long do I have to wait for Volume 10? I think the College Arc is going to be so cool.
Spencer
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing close to the first arc! A tense read at times for sure, but fantastic with storytelling!!
Rachel
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS SERIES!😍
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
The end of the anime

Wrapped more swiftly than the anime, with more positive vibes. Still as lush and evocative, still as speculative with gorgeous art.

• X (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2
  • ノラガミ 19 (Noragami: Stray God, #19)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 4
  • クイーンズ・クオリティ 2 (Queen's Quality, #2)
  • Say I Love You., Vol. 18
  • ぬらりひょんの孫 12 [Nurarihyon No Mago] (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #12)
Name (in native language) : ヤマザキコレ

Also known as Yamao Mitsu.

The Ancient Magus' Bride (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #1)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 2 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #2)
  • 魔法使いの嫁 3 [Mahou Tsukai No Yome 3] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #3)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 4 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #4)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 5
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 6
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 7
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 8
  • 魔法使いの嫁 10 [Mahou Tsukai no Yome 10] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #10)
  • 魔法使いの嫁 11 [Mahou Tsukai no Yome 11] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #11)