Start by marking “Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World” as Want to Read:
Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World

Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This celebration of feminine power, beauty, and complexity tells the stories of ten goddesses from cultures the world over. There is tremendous variety in this volume including the stories of Kuay Yin, the compassionate Buddhist goddess; Durga, the fierce Hindu warrior goddess; lx Chel, an ancient Mayan goddess; Changing Woman, the man-faceted Navajo deity, and more. Each ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Changing Woman and Her Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Woman and Her Sisters

Jacquelyn
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Nonfiction Reading level: Age 9+
The earth’s people have abandoned their worship of women, and male figures dominate modern day patriarchal religions. Tchana and her mother take us back to a day when Goddesses ruled the planet. Female deities from Africa and Egypt, Inuit and Celtic peoples, Shinto and Hindu faiths, and other cultures join the Navajo’s Changing woman. A paragraph introduces each Goddess and her legacy. The stories are earthy and rich and are accompanied by illustrations fro
Leah
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You won’t find the oft regurgitated Greek goddesses. Instead, Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses From Around the World celebrates lesser-known goddesses from cultures all over the world, including the Navajo people, the Inuit people, the Mayans, ancient China, Japan, Sumer (modern-day Iraq), India and more!

Each tale begins with the goddesses name, place of origin, and brief historical context. Many of the tales read like Creation myths and often explain how that goddess came to
Emily
Summary (CIP): An illustrated collection of traditional tales which features goddesses from different cultres, including Nafajo, Mayan, and Fon. Notes explian each dogges's place in her cultrue, the reason for the book and how the illustrations were developed.

Review: A well organized and clearly presented collection of goddess stories. One illustration is provided for each goddess and they are fantastic. The stories are told clearly with appropraite degree of detail, and also age appropriate (up
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
While I enjoyed reading about the goddesses, many of which I hadn't heard, I couldn't help but also feel a bit sad, because this must have been one of the last books Trina Schart Hyman illustrated before she died. She was my number one favorite illustrator. She had a distinctive style that I'd recognize anywhere. I think I've read just about everything she's ever illustrated. This collaboration between her and her daughter must have been especially pleasing to her. In this book she used a collag ...more
Samantha
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely AMAZING!!! A glimpse of ancient womanhood and great for folklore fans like me! The artwork was beautiful and the stories were well picked; though there is a less gory version of the Sedna story inBest-Loved Folktales of the World.
Doria
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of goddess myths, drawn from around the world, with each story accompanied by one of Trina Schart Hyman’s gorgeous illustrations.
Sam Grace
This is an illustrated collection of stories about goddesses aimed at kids.

I have to admit that I prefer Trina Schart Hyman's paintings to these collage mixes, and I think I've read better tellings of almost all the stories in here, so it can't get five stars. But while I might prefer other retellings of these stories and other illustrations, there is no other book that puts these all together. This is the divine companion to The Serpent Slayer, which I liked for similar reasons.

Now that I've
Yvonne
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and teachers and women seeking matriarchal spiritual images
This is a picture book.

This book is written for elementary students, perhaps third grade and older, perhaps will be best appreciated by those about 12 years old. I, however, am much, much older than 12 years and I learned and enjoyed Changing Woman very much. Ms. Tchana's retelling of some of the old and older stories of powerful women figures is readable and interesting and informative. Some stories I was acquainted with and some were new to me, all were a joy to read.

After I read all the stori
Eden
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with beautiful pictures and stories of Goddesses from all over the world. There are stories of Changing Woman, Macha, Sedna and many other Goddesses I've not heard of before.
These stories are about powerful women, ones with strength, ones who fall in love and much more.

I love this book and its stories. I've been thinking about all the stories, their meanings and lessons that can be learned from them. From Inanna's story I believe we can learn that it is not good to make choi
Marsha
This is another great collaboration between writer Ms. Tchana and illustrator Ms. Hyman. With gorgeous illustrations and in-depth story-telling, the different goddesses of bygone eras are spread in sumptuous detail in this grand picture book. The various fates of each of these beings (not all of them pretty—one goddess is beaten by her jealous husband, another is maimed by her cowardly father) are often about epic struggles and trials that need to be overcome before each goddess can attain her r ...more
Carrie
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is obviously written for younger kids, but I still enjoyed it. Simple writing style aside, the ten legends of goddesses from all around the world were well-portrayed. My favorite feature of this book was the art. Five stars for the illustrations, beautiful collages of photos, paper, cloth, and paint. The artist also did a good job of capturing and adapting the art styles of the various cultures.
You can see some of the images here. (Scroll down a bit. They're on sale as prints.)
http://
Sara
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
A lovely mother-daughter collaboration collecting goddess stories from various cultures around the world. Older children will be interested to see how certain stories share similarities with other familiar tales (Inanna is a Sumerian goddess whose story contains aspects of Persephone's tale). The illustrations, Hyman's last, are different from her usual work in that they are collages, but they still have that magical quality all her work holds.
Joni
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
These stories are a bit gruesome at times, but we need these stories of the Life/Death/Life goddesses, as Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes calls them. The woman destroyer and giver of life, mother nature, mother goddess. There are stories here from all over the world. Will definitely read again or look to purchase.
Erin Sterling
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book about goddesses from around the world. The stories were too long, trying to encapsulate too much about the various goddess stories, thus losing the core of the story for me.
Liaken
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beautiful artwork, interesting stories. The afterword by the writer and artist is the best part of the book.
Danielle
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful resource if you're looking for bedtime stories that showcase powerful women to read to little ears. I wondered about the accuracy of 1 or 2 of them. GORGEOUS illustrations.
Emily
Apr 05, 2014 added it
Read: Kuan Yin, the Compassionate; Durga, the Warrior Goddess; Isis, Mistress of Life and Death
Samantha Bender
Aug 24, 2017
Eve
Jan 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
  • Vampire Island (Vampire Island, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Spy (Shakespeare Stealer, #3)
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World