Start by marking “Devil's Gold (Black Rose Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Gold (Black Rose Mystery #1)

Devil's Gold

(Black Rose Mystery #1)

Death and Darkness are the norm at Black Rose Investigations...

Despite being chronically late, occasionally disheveled and a tad disorganized, Dixie Knight is one of the top private investigators in the country, and when a young woman goes missing in the small, Southern town of Devil’s Den, Dixie takes the case. She expected it to be another ordinary missing person case
Published February 13th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Gold

Dri ✰
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
★ 3 stars!!! ★

“The right one is a phantom, a mythical creature that exists only to make men like you reject every single woman that comes across their paths, only to end up being a miserable old bastard who spends their time hovered over the engine of some sports car—that they spent their life savings on—with a bottle of lube in one hand, and a can of Bud in the other.”

Dixie Knight é tipo de mocinha que eu curto ler; determinada, forte, inteligente, corajosa... me simpatizei com ela desde o
Somia
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of a group of sisters’ running a well-respected and kickass Private Investigator (PI) business they inherited from their famous CIA father sounded fab and had me keen to read and now continue to read). This first book/novella in the series focuses on Dixie Knight, the middle sister. When a young woman goes missing in the small, Southern town of Devil’s Den, Dixie takes the case, but what should have been an ordinary missing person case takes an unexpected and dangerous turn. And when ...more
Coco.V
Jun 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (6/25/2018)!💝
Lauren
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
DEVIL'S GOLD truly managed to surprise me! Going into it I expected to like it. I'm a sucker for a good mystery; however, I never expected to like it as much as I did. Combining a page-turning mystery, a feisty, sarcastic main character, and even a touch of romance, DEVIL'S GOLD proves just how enchanting a novella can be.

DEVIL'S GOLD introduces Dix, a private investigator at her family's Black Rose Investigations. Dix has always been the black sheep of her family. Constantly late, occasionally
Minx
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
True Rating 3.5 stars!

Devil’s Gold is the first book in the Black Rose Mystery series. Black Rose Investigations was a company that had been started by Clive Knight after his stint with the CIA was completed. After an untimely death his company was inherited by his three daughters, Dixie, Roxie, and Scar. They were all strong women who had their own skills that they brought to the table. In this book Dixie was hired by a woman who was certain her husband was cheating on her. She initially wanted
Jill
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
Dixie Knight is a badass, strong, female PI in author Amanda McKinney’s newest series Black Rose Mystery. Dixie is one of three sisters owning, and working as Private Investigators, for Black Rose Investigations. So when a mysterious disappearance and ultimately murder occurs in her small town of Devil’s Den, Dixie is immediately on the case. But, Dixie is not alone in her investigations as Liam, a marine home on leave, ties the untimely death to a string of Louisiana homicides years past.

Liam
Tracey
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own.*

This is the story of Dixie Knight, private investigator, and while working on a missing person case in a small town called Devil’s Den.  But she soon discovers that this case is not that simple and it is turning to murder.

While visiting family on leave from the Marines, Liam Cash meets up with Dixie in a bar and they find there is an instant attraction there.  But Liam decides he is going to help with the investigation
Charlotte Woods
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! McKinney does it again with Devil’s Gold, writing another enchanting and sexy murder mystery, filled with twists and turns that keep you up at night; fun characters that feel like your old friends; and above all, a creepy, captivating setting that makes you feel like you’re right there with them. Devil’s Gold is a fun, fast-paced thriller, topped with passionate romance. If you enjoyed the Berry Springs books, you’ll fall in love with this new series.
Sue Sparks
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars fast paced, decent read with insta love
Nicole(Newbookcats)
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
"She glanced up at the leafless trees that had grown like a tunnel above the driveway-like witch's fingers, connected at the tips."

3.5/5 stars

For most of my life, I had wanted to be a veterinarian. Then, it all changed last summer when I had watched one of my favorite shows to watch on a relaxing vacation, "Forensic Files." And, if you know me, you know I HATE change.

I have been watching this particular show for several years with my family as we all like to solve mysteries and any problems that
Debbie
Independent Reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

This is only short, just over an hour reading time for me, some 120 pages, but it packs quite a punch!

Dixie is the middle sister of three, running their father's investigation agency. She's good at it, even if she is the least put together of her sisters. Liam is in town visiting relatives, and when their paths cross, it's a proper "eyes across a crowded room" moment. When Dixie puts herself in danger, Liam knows he ca
Deborah
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Devil's Gold - A Black Rose Mystery by Amanda McKinney is a quick read you can finish in one sitting. The characters are strong willed and independent and the plot keeps the reader turning the pages to discover what will happen next in this murder mystery. I loved that the three sisters work for their own PI Investigation firm which opens several opportunities for plot storylines to continue in a series of books. I cannot wait to read the next book and look forward to many more twisted and sexy ...more
Joanne
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
So much packed into this Novella! My interest never waned from the time I started reading to the end. The characters are colorful and Ms. McKinney's description, as always, puts a firm figure in your mind as to what each character looks like. Her writing is real. For instance, main character walks into someone's home and everything is pink, pink, pink. She thinks to herself "vomit, vomit, vomit." Yeah, believable. Although I had an inkling of who the killer might be, there were a couple of surpr ...more
Gregg Sayers
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I've read from Amanda McKinney and I absolutely loved it! She does a great job with character development and the story literally makes it hard to put down. I read this book in a day and a half. I took it to work intending to read a chapter or two, but every time I set it down I'd do something else for 5 or 10 minutes and then I couldn't take it anymore and had to find out what happens next, so I'd pick it back up. That went on pretty much all day! Lol! This is a great re ...more
Jo
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a decent mystery story with fast pacing and reasonable character development, even if the foreshadowing is perhaps a little obvious.

Dixie is a strong female lead, and although Liam is a little weird, overall, he fits nicely into the story.  And for the most part, the novella format worked.

However, the ending did take the shine off this somewhat.  It felt unnecessary, and added a rushed feel to what was otherwise a very promising novella.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy
Rachel Morgan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don’t miss out!

Oh my goodness! I wish I could write this review with the same eloquence and ability to grab your attention that the author uses to write her books. Mystery, romance, surprises...what more could you ask for in a great story? I love any story with a strong female lead but she finds a way to make her character relatable and also vulnerable. I have quickly become a fan of not only this series but also of this author! I love her style and am anxiously awaiting her next book! Don’t mi
shayla tisevich
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful, steamy, and a little spooky in the most awesome way! With all the twists and turns, Devil’s Gold kept me wondering who the murderer was until the very end. I really liked the main character, Dixie , and the sisters, and the witty banter between them. Not to mention the sexy, mysterious Marine! If you enjoyed The Berry Springs series, or love female sleuth books, you’ll definitely like the Black Rose Mysteries. Already can’t wait for the next in the series!
Victoria Sturlini
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GOOD MYSTERY!!!!

I enjoyed this book very much. It was short but the suspense and action in it was very satisfying...... I like that the Black Rose Investigators is a family affair.... With lots of interesting characters and personalities. There was a very sexy romance along with the mystery...... I highly recommend it if you are looking for a quick, engrossing, and enjoyable read!!!!!
Kellsie Smalley
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Read!

Such an great book by an amazing author,Amanda McKinney. This romantic mystery kept me interested the entire time, I couldn’t put it down! Amanda has such a way with words. I felt like I was right there with the characters attempting to solve this case. This is a great mystery with a romantic twist and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. I can’t wait to read more of her books.
She is beginning to be one of my favorite authors.
Becca
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dixie is my kind of girl! A no-nonsense badass chick who gets things done without waiting for the guy to come and rescue her. I loved everything about this book!

The relationships throughout the novella are developed well, and made me want the next book right away! I can't wait to see what the next Black Rose Mystery holds!
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 star

The story feels like it is just starting then suddenly it is tied up. More or less by accident. Also no character arc at all on either of the two primary characters. So it has a smidgen of plot but just feels pointless.
Will Decker
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice novella that covers all the bases. Well written, fast moving plot, great character development, and a touch of suspense. Oh, and let's not forget the bit of romance thrown in for good measure. A lot to take in for a novella, but McKinney does it with ease and a flair all of her own.
Polly J. Van Benthusen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shirt, sweet, and a good read!

I love the turns this book takes. These characters are relatable and these men are incredibly sexy. I'm binge reading the series and know I will enjoy them all.
Rita
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It has great character's. I enjoyed the love story in the midst of the killings. The plot is great too. I am interested in reading more of this series, too. I am following this author and looking forward to more!
tabitha bradshaw
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Quickie with Feels!

This book is a little shorter than normal, but it’s got great characters and sets the stage for even more mysteries. PI Dixie is looking for answers about a missing woman when she meets Marine Liam who is curious about the case and Dixie. Super read! Enjoy!!!
Belinda in Alabama
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Book

This was a good mystery I did not determine who did it until the story told me. I liked the characters and would like to know them better. I hope you would too. Happy Reading!
Renae
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dixie and Liam

Great murder mystery. Just loved the characters and plot. Not going to give away the ending but the twist sure had me going. Thanks so much
Doreen
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exciting!

Quick moving, fast paced mystery involving a PI agency run by three sisters. It is a novella so is read quickly. It is quite an interesting plot and well written
Lavenia Otts
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline

I really enjoyed this novella. The characters were work-related and the plot well thought out. I recommend this book highly.
CJ
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, short, quirky read.

• Love or Justice (Protect and Serve, #1)
  • Temptation and Treachery
  • Revolutionary Temptation (Revolutionaries, #1)
  • Feat of Clay (Men of London #4)
  • His Destiny (HIS, #5)
  • Deadly Games (Dallas after Dark, #2)
  • Haunted Love
  • Fearless (Somerton Security #3)
  • Divergent Bloodline
  • The Fangs of Scavo (Stoker & Bash, #1)
  • Job Hunt (The Power of Zero, #1)
  • Shadows (Black Raven, #1)
  • The Shiva Syndrome Trilogy: The Mind of Stefan Dürr, the Cosmic Ape, and the Interdimensional Nexus
  • Alphas of Danger
  • Bone to Pick (Digging Up Bones, #1)
  • Sin and Tonic (Sinners, #6)
  • Bo (Bad Boys of Retribution MC #3)
  • Vision of Darkness (D.I.E. Squadron, #1)
Amanda McKinney is the bestselling and multi-award-winning author of more than ten romantic suspense and mystery novels. She wrote her debut novel, LETHAL LEGACY, in 2017 after walking away from her career to become a writer and stay-at-home mom. Set in small, southern towns, Amanda's books are page-turning murder mysteries packed with steamy romance.

Her books include the BERRY SPRINGS SERIES and

Black Rose Mystery (5 books)
  • Hatchet Hollow (Black Rose Mystery #2)
  • Tomb's Tale (Black Rose Mystery #3)
  • Evil Eye (Black Rose Mystery #4)
  • Sinister Secrets (Black Rose Mystery #5)