Jump to ratings and reviews
Death and Darkness are the norm at Black Rose Investigations...

Despite being chronically late, occasionally disheveled and a tad disorganized, Dixie Knight is one of the top private investigators in the country, and when a young woman goes missing in the small, Southern town of Devil’s Den, Dixie takes the case. She expected it to be another ordinary missing person case — until it takes a brutal turn.

While visiting relatives on his two-week leave, Marine Liam Cash bumps into Dixie at the local bar, and his attraction to her is immediate. When he becomes suspicious that Dixie’s current case is connected to two unsolved murders in his hometown, he steps in to help investigate, and keep Dixie safe, whether Dixie wants him to or not.

As the bodies start stacking up, Dixie turns the town upside down looking for the killer — could it be the rumored witch that lives in the mountains; the rich, neurotic doctor’s wife; or the perky, blonde receptionist at the local medical clinic?

Time is running out and Dixie knows she has to put the pieces of the puzzle together before another body turns cold in Devil’s Den.

148 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 13, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Amanda McKinney

31 books639 followers
Amanda McKinney is the bestselling and multi-award-winning author of more than fifteen romantic suspense and mystery novels. Her latest book, Rattlesnake Road, was named one of POPSUGAR's 12 Best Romance Books to Have a Spring Fling With, and was featured on the Today Show. The fifth book in her Steele Shadows series, Jagger (Steele Shadows Investigations), was recently nominated for the prestigious Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense.

Amanda wrote her debut novel, LETHAL LEGACY in 2017, after walking away from her career to become a writer and stay-at-home mom. Her books include the bestselling series, STEELE SHADOWS SECURITY, the multi-award-winning BERRY SPRINGS series, BLACK ROSE MYSTERIES, and many more to come.

Set in small, Southern towns, Amanda’s books are page-turning murder mysteries peppered with steamy romance She lives in Arkansas with her handsome husband, two beautiful boys, and three obnoxious dogs.

Text AMANDABOOKS to 66866 to receive Amanda's newsletter and get the latest on new releases, promos, and freebies!

Visit her website at www.amandamckinneyauthor.com
Follow Amanda on Instagram at www.instagram.com/amandamckinneyauthor
Follow Amanda on Facebook at www.facebook.com/amandamckineyauthor

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Dri ✰.
693 reviews209 followers
May 7, 2018
★ 3 stars!!! ★

“The right one is a phantom, a mythical creature that exists only to make men like you reject every single woman that comes across their paths, only to end up being a miserable old bastard who spends their time hovered over the engine of some sports car—that they spent their life savings on—with a bottle of lube in one hand, and a can of Bud in the other.”

Dixie Knight é tipo de mocinha que eu curto ler; determinada, forte, inteligente, corajosa... me simpatizei com ela desde o início.
Liam Cash também foi ótimo, embora tenha gostado dele, fiquei com a impressão de que não o conheci devidamente.

A conexão e atração entre os dois foi instantânea, assim como o “amor” que surgiu em questão de dias. Tenho um certo problema em relação a livros com insta-love, raramente leio algo que se enquadre na lista do que é “aceitável” ou não. Mas isso é uma questão minha mesmo, há quem não vê problema nisso...

Outro fato que me incomodou é que o final ficou corrido demais. Aliás, o livro em si é curto, o que particularmente me deixou triste porque queria ler mais e mais.

O mistério e suspense foram bons, despertaram minha curiosidade e prenderam minha atenção, apesar das minhas suspeitas estarem certas, rs.

A narrativa, em terceira pessoa, é fluida e viciante. Não consegui parar de ler enquanto não chegasse ao final e ao mesmo tempo não queria que acabasse.
Devil’s Gold foi uma leitura agradável e rápida, embora tenha encontrado pontos negativos, eu gostei bastante desse livro!
Profile Image for Somia.
2,049 reviews121 followers
July 9, 2019
The premise of a group of sisters’ running a well-respected and kickass Private Investigator (PI) business they inherited from their famous CIA father sounded fab and had me keen to read and now continue to read). This first book/novella in the series focuses on Dixie Knight, the middle sister. When a young woman goes missing in the small, Southern town of Devil’s Den, Dixie takes the case, but what should have been an ordinary missing person case takes an unexpected and dangerous turn. And when Marine Liam Cash arrives things taken another unexpected but delightful turn for Dixie.

Insta-love/lust is an ingredient used in this tale, but got to say I didn’t feel the romance that potently, and I think this book may have been fabulous if the focus had been on Dixie, her sleuthing and her sisters. The witch in the mountains was an interesting addition, and her actions – boy oh boy I wouldn’t want to get on her wrong side.

Overall this was nicely paced short little (one time) read, which has me interested enough to read more in the series, but I did feel the ending came a tad too quick and things needed to be fleshed out a little bit more. I’m hoping the next book will have more depth, and sleuthing.

Acquired via KU.
Profile Image for Lauren.
1,020 reviews103 followers
February 12, 2018
DEVIL'S GOLD truly managed to surprise me! Going into it I expected to like it. I'm a sucker for a good mystery; however, I never expected to like it as much as I did. Combining a page-turning mystery, a feisty, sarcastic main character, and even a touch of romance, DEVIL'S GOLD proves just how enchanting a novella can be.

DEVIL'S GOLD introduces Dix, a private investigator at her family's Black Rose Investigations. Dix has always been the black sheep of her family. Constantly late, occasionally crass, preferring casual to fancy, she doesn't exactly fit in well with her sisters. However, given her her superior sleuthing skills, it doesn't seem to matter. I loved Dix from the get-go. Amanda did a fantastic job of capturing her voice, and honestly, it was just so much fun to see into Dix's head. I loved her observations, her sleuthing skills, etc. Plus, she's someone who constantly gets herself into trouble due to her head strong ways, which was funny to read about.

Given DEVIL'S GOLD novella length, I was slightly worried the mystery wouldn't be well developed. However, that wasn't the case at all. Amanda presented an exciting whodunit here, and I loved the surprising twists and turns it constantly took. In addition to the mystery, a little swoony romance is included as well! The dynamic between Dix and Liam was chemistry laden. I enjoyed the back-and-forth banter. I also liked that Liam was a man of mystery. At first, I couldn't tell if he was going to be a good guy or a bad guy.

The writing in DEVIL'S GOLD was on point. The story flowed well, and I liked how Amanda incorporated different POVs. It's fun to see someone else's perspective at times.

Overall, DEVIL'S GOLD is perfect for fans of mystery! My only complaint? I wish I had the second once ready as soon as I finished this! I need to know what trouble Dix and Liam get into next!
Profile Image for Minxy Melissa.
1,740 reviews66 followers
February 19, 2018
True Rating 3.5 stars!

Devil’s Gold is the first book in the Black Rose Mystery series. Black Rose Investigations was a company that had been started by Clive Knight after his stint with the CIA was completed. After an untimely death his company was inherited by his three daughters, Dixie, Roxie, and Scar. They were all strong women who had their own skills that they brought to the table. In this book Dixie was hired by a woman who was certain her husband was cheating on her. She initially wanted Dixie to prove that her husband was having an affair but when the woman came up missing, the wife wanted Dixie to prove that her husband had something to do with the disappearance so that she could have all the assets in a divorce settlement.

Dixie took the case because she was intrigued by the idea of finding a missing woman. While running down the clues Dixie also ran into a man who was in town visiting family while on leave. Liam had come into town to visit his cousin but he was happily distracted when he ran into Dixie while at a bar. They both had instant chemistry and he wanted to get to know her more. While at the bar, Dixie had received a troubling phone call that had her running out of the bar. Liam followed Dixie because he wanted to make plans with her as he was only in town for a little while. What he had never expected was that he would run into a situation that had all the fingerprints of a case that he was familiar with. Both Dixie and Liam would find themselves working together to follow the clues which would lead down a dangerous path.

The character’s in Devil’s Gold are interesting and I liked the backstory for the sisters and how they came to be investigators. Dixie was feisty and I enjoyed her investigative technique and the relationships she had with the town residents. The romance element between her and Liam was entertaining and cute. I thought that the mystery element was nicely done and I was not sure who had been responsible for the crimes that were committed until the very end and it made complete sense. Devil’s Gold is a short story but it is very entertaining and paced well. I am definitely interested in continuing in this series because I am curious to see if Dixie will remain the main character or if the next book in the series will feature a sister.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Xpresso Book Tours. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

Find this review and more at The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Profile Image for Jill.
610 reviews13 followers
February 23, 2018
Dixie Knight is a badass, strong, female PI in author Amanda McKinney’s newest series Black Rose Mystery. Dixie is one of three sisters owning, and working as Private Investigators, for Black Rose Investigations. So when a mysterious disappearance and ultimately murder occurs in her small town of Devil’s Den, Dixie is immediately on the case. But, Dixie is not alone in her investigations as Liam, a marine home on leave, ties the untimely death to a string of Louisiana homicides years past.

Liam adds hints of romance to an already enjoyable novella, albeit his male instinct to “save the female” caused frustration for my inner feminist. I look forward to more in this series as McKinney leaves room to discover further the three independently unique Knight Sisters and their wildly successful Black Rose Investigations.

A quick read that leaves you wanting many pages beyond the bindings of this book. Perfect for any mystery lover, with strong female leads and gripping plot, Devil’s Gold debuts what promises to be an enticing series.

For the full review, please visit: http://fortheloveofthepageblog.wordpr...

*Disclaimer: A review copy of this book was provided as part of a blog tour promotion.
January 12, 2018
Loved it! McKinney does it again with Devil’s Gold, writing another enchanting and sexy murder mystery, filled with twists and turns that keep you up at night; fun characters that feel like your old friends; and above all, a creepy, captivating setting that makes you feel like you’re right there with them. Devil’s Gold is a fun, fast-paced thriller, topped with passionate romance. If you enjoyed the Berry Springs books, you’ll fall in love with this new series.
Profile Image for Chanel.
1,833 reviews
November 4, 2021
I have read numerous books by this talented author that were much better written than this book. The suspense factor kept my attention, but I wasn’t buying the instant romance between Dixie and Liam. Really- making out in a boat on a lake during a snowstorm, right after viewing a horrific scene. They would have frozen their butts off.
Profile Image for Nicole(Newbookcats).
106 reviews4 followers
February 19, 2018
"She glanced up at the leafless trees that had grown like a tunnel above the driveway-like witch's fingers, connected at the tips."

3.5/5 stars

For most of my life, I had wanted to be a veterinarian. Then, it all changed last summer when I had watched one of my favorite shows to watch on a relaxing vacation, "Forensic Files." And, if you know me, you know I HATE change.

I have been watching this particular show for several years with my family as we all like to solve mysteries and any problems that come our way. Even though I watched a lot of episodes, I never really thought about forensic science being the job for me. So, I stuck to my belief that I was going to be a successful veterinarian with some dogs and cats living with me later in my life. Then, just recently, my family and I found a lost dog. Writing that I was scared is an understatement. I was terrified that Benji, the dog, was going to bite me or scratch me. I ran away from him and screamed bloody murder several times because I was so scared. Even before this, I had my doubts of me becoming a veterinarian because it was so hard to even put me in a room with a dog I had no relations with. However, do not worry anymore as Benji is such a sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly. I just get a little scared around him at times, but I can mostly forget about my fears as I know Benji would never put me in serious harm. Anyway, after deciding to spend my time on researching what kind of responsibilities a forensic scientist occurs daily, I found this blog tour and decided to give it a chance.

As my decision to get this book was based on my love for mysteries and my desire to learn more about being a forensic scientist, I was very happy to get an inside look into the investigation process . Through researching the murder, looking at all the possible suspects, and just going through the same turmoil as the characters really opened my eyes to how being a forensic scientist would be like. This book made me more sure of my decision to help bring justice into the world(with the Justice League of America).

Also, did you read the quote stated in the beginning of this review? I was asking myself whether or not it is meaningful enough. Or had any special connection to the story? Or if it did not display my love for a chocolate milkshake on a cold winter night? Wait, what? Although the answer is no to all of those question, I found this quote to be a great display of Kinney's ability to write. I found her writing to be so compelling. So much so that I would find myself awake one night finishing it the same day I started. I just kept flipping through my Kindle book as if I would die if I had to be separated from my phone. Also, Kinney's writing is rich with descriptions. From how she explained what the murders looked like to how she described the chocolate milkshakes that made a cameo in this story, I found myself immersed in this world. However, it was pure torture reading about the chocolate milkshakes and not being able to get one myself.

It was a lot to process at the time so if you will, please mourn my past self who did not have a chocolate milkshake. *loudly blows into a tissue*

Another thing I really enjoyed was Dixie Knight, the main character. Dixie Knight is a private investigator, a sloppy human being, a smart thinking individual, and a sassy woman. She is the imperfect one of her two other sisters, who also work at Black Rose Investigations. Dixie reminded me a bit of a grown Nancy Drew, And, if you know me, then you know I enjoyed Nancy Drew as a small child. It was so fun to see Dixie think and make split-second decisions. Also, it helped that she was super sassy and great at making a conversation entertaining.

After discussing this book's strong suits, I think it is time to go into the qualities I would like to dig a grave for. First, I really hated Liam. It would be fine if he was just placed into his novel to help solve the murder, and he did; however, he was also a love interest. It felt as if he and the romance HAD to be added. It did nothing for the story and really lowered the love I had for it. Also, with this romance, Dixie was somewhat pressured to get a man. From her friends and coworkers to her imaginary great aunt Sue, she was pushed to get a man. I did not enjoy reading her coworkers pushing her out of her comfort zone to get a man they deemed suitable for her even if he did help solve the case in the end.

Also, this is my personal preference, but I wish there could have been some connection to the killer. Usually, I have seen the killer or wrong-doer once or twice mentioned or included in a scene. However, due to this story being a novella, everything had to be short, sweet, and compressed. This is good as Kinney could not drag on about chocolate milkshakes; however, I want more to this particular story. I wish I and other readers could get introduced to the killer, but sadly, that does not happen. We just get a name and some past evidence from a closed case.

Also, I have something very special planned. I have a tea recommendation for this book, which is...peppermint. This story looks to be simple and deliciously mysterious, but it packs a punch at how good it is and makes you want more. Also, the story and the tea just give a little chill down your spine.

Full review on my blog.
Profile Image for DebbieReadsBooks.
2,346 reviews38 followers
February 15, 2018
Independent Reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

This is only short, just over an hour reading time for me, some 120 pages, but it packs quite a punch!

Dixie is the middle sister of three, running their father's investigation agency. She's good at it, even if she is the least put together of her sisters. Liam is in town visiting relatives, and when their paths cross, it's a proper "eyes across a crowded room" moment. When Dixie puts herself in danger, Liam knows he can't let her go, and he will do anything to see her safe.

Like I said, quite a punch!! Very pleasantly surprised, I have to say!

I have to admit, I did not see the whodunnit coming at me, so that was well played!

There is just enough hints and clues to make you think, well just who DID kill these four women.? Just enough heat and passion to make you fan a little. Just enough of just about everyone to make you want to know MORE about these people!

Because that's my overwhelming feeling I'm left with, I want MORE! Whether it's Liam and Dix, or Dixie's sisters, or co-workers (cos Ace is quite a character!) or even just more from this writer, I don't know, but that is what I want. MORE!

Filed firmly on the hangover shelf, because that's what I used it as and it certainly did the trick.

So, Ms McKinney, *holding up open hands with puppy dog eyes* more please!

4 solid stars

**same worded review will appear elsewhere**
1,456 reviews4 followers
November 29, 2021
There's escapism and there's completely over the top! "Devil's Gold" falls into the latter category to the extent that I was disappointed not to receive a gold platter bearing an invitation to be considered for the possibility of being accepted to review it.
The women are smart, beautiful ("each having long, dark hair, flawless porcelain skin, and killer bodies that women envied and men drooled over.") and rich. The men are rich, handsome, protective and more than able to hold their own.
Our heroine, Dixie, one of the three sisters who run Black Rose Investigations, is asked to investigate a cheating husband but, almost immediately, the 'other woman' is brutally murdered.
Enter gorgeous hunk Liam, a visiting military veteran, who by sheer chance links the murder to at least two others. "Her attraction to him was immediate. Visceral. Every sensor in her body reacted to him." Get a room you two!
There's a halfway decent book in there somewhere but almost every chance to let it come to the fore is bypassed or ignored. This is a classic example of two plots ruining a book, if the author, Amanda McKinney, had stuck with one or the other, i.e. romance or murder mystery, it could have been much, much better.
Overall it is a lazily written book.
2 Stars.
Profile Image for Marie.
2,584 reviews21 followers
October 16, 2020
Ask about the golden penis!

I love this, the dysfunctional and slightly crazy Knight family, the kickass Black Rose Investigations and a plot that weaves mystery, suspense and romance seemlessly...a fantastic novella and the first book in a series that leaves you eager for more.
Dixie is awesome, I really like that she is totally disorganised, always late but super smart and can see the missing pieces others have missed. The fact she is not perfect just makes her more appealing and relatable.
Liam is the strong, silent, Alpha type but Dixie steals his breath the moment he sees her and he knows she is his. He embraces this, rather than running from it, as lots of heros do, which is refreshing and just makes him even sexier.
I enjoyed the mystery and whilst I may have had a good idea who the perp was, it wasn't obvious and I still enjoyed the investigation and Dixie's thought process. A great read on Kindle Unlimited and I am looking forward to book 2.
Profile Image for Debbie.
54 reviews
March 14, 2018
Devil's Gold - A Black Rose Mystery by Amanda McKinney is a quick read you can finish in one sitting. The characters are strong willed and independent and the plot keeps the reader turning the pages to discover what will happen next in this murder mystery. I loved that the three sisters work for their own PI Investigation firm which opens several opportunities for plot storylines to continue in a series of books. I cannot wait to read the next book and look forward to many more twisted and sexy stories. There is something about the story taking place during winter storms that allows you to dream of a Liam of your own.
3,329 reviews10 followers
June 22, 2020
Devil's Gold is a fantastic romantic suspense by Amanda McKinney. Ms. McKinney continues to impress me with her storytelling abilities with this well-written book. I totally love the characters in this book. Dixie is a private investigator for her family business, Black Rose Investigations. Liam is in town visiting relatives for a couple of weeks while on leave from the Marines. Liam and Dixie's story is packed with drama, humor, sizzle, action and suspense. Devil's Gold is book 1 of the Black Rose Mystery Series but can be read as a standalone. This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.
Profile Image for Jo.
1,448 reviews11 followers
February 18, 2018
This is a decent mystery story with fast pacing and reasonable character development, even if the foreshadowing is perhaps a little obvious.

Dixie is a strong female lead, and although Liam is a little weird, overall, he fits nicely into the story.  And for the most part, the novella format worked.

However, the ending did take the shine off this somewhat.  It felt unnecessary, and added a rushed feel to what was otherwise a very promising novella.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
88 reviews
March 12, 2018
So much packed into this Novella! My interest never waned from the time I started reading to the end. The characters are colorful and Ms. McKinney's description, as always, puts a firm figure in your mind as to what each character looks like. Her writing is real. For instance, main character walks into someone's home and everything is pink, pink, pink. She thinks to herself "vomit, vomit, vomit." Yeah, believable. Although I had an inkling of who the killer might be, there were a couple of surprises thrown in this mighty little book. A quick, great read.
Profile Image for Gregg Sayers.
25 reviews
April 13, 2018
This was the first book I've read from Amanda McKinney and I absolutely loved it! She does a great job with character development and the story literally makes it hard to put down. I read this book in a day and a half. I took it to work intending to read a chapter or two, but every time I set it down I'd do something else for 5 or 10 minutes and then I couldn't take it anymore and had to find out what happens next, so I'd pick it back up. That went on pretty much all day! Lol! This is a great read folks! I highly recommend it and I can't wait to read more from her. She's a wonderful writer.
5 reviews
April 24, 2018
Don’t miss out!

Oh my goodness! I wish I could write this review with the same eloquence and ability to grab your attention that the author uses to write her books. Mystery, romance, surprises...what more could you ask for in a great story? I love any story with a strong female lead but she finds a way to make her character relatable and also vulnerable. I have quickly become a fan of not only this series but also of this author! I love her style and am anxiously awaiting her next book! Don’t miss out on this super fun read!
Profile Image for Dianne McCartney.
Author 10 books11 followers
March 15, 2021
I just started this series. The books I've read by this author are great fun with an interesting characters. This series in particular has feisty women detectives and the unique men who love them.

I read a lot and I'm always looking for a new mystery/suspense author. I stumbled across this book and appreciated that it was on sale. I've read 5 or 6 of hers already and will likely read the rest.

Dianne McCartney
author of
The Road to Justice
The Daughter of Death
Just One Night
and coming soon
Fear the Night
Profile Image for shayla tisevich.
3 reviews1 follower
February 13, 2018
Suspenseful, steamy, and a little spooky in the most awesome way! With all the twists and turns, Devil’s Gold kept me wondering who the murderer was until the very end. I really liked the main character, Dixie , and the sisters, and the witty banter between them. Not to mention the sexy, mysterious Marine! If you enjoyed The Berry Springs series, or love female sleuth books, you’ll definitely like the Black Rose Mysteries. Already can’t wait for the next in the series!
February 15, 2018
Amazing Read!

Such an great book by an amazing author,Amanda McKinney. This romantic mystery kept me interested the entire time, I couldn’t put it down! Amanda has such a way with words. I felt like I was right there with the characters attempting to solve this case. This is a great mystery with a romantic twist and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. I can’t wait to read more of her books.
She is beginning to be one of my favorite authors.
658 reviews2 followers
July 26, 2018
GOOD MYSTERY!!!!

I enjoyed this book very much. It was short but the suspense and action in it was very satisfying...... I like that the Black Rose Investigators is a family affair.... With lots of interesting characters and personalities. There was a very sexy romance along with the mystery...... I highly recommend it if you are looking for a quick, engrossing, and enjoyable read!!!!!
Profile Image for Becca C..
17 reviews
February 7, 2018
Dixie is my kind of girl! A no-nonsense badass chick who gets things done without waiting for the guy to come and rescue her. I loved everything about this book!

The relationships throughout the novella are developed well, and made me want the next book right away! I can't wait to see what the next Black Rose Mystery holds!
Profile Image for Will Decker.
Author 19 books7 followers
April 23, 2018
A nice novella that covers all the bases. Well written, fast moving plot, great character development, and a touch of suspense. Oh, and let's not forget the bit of romance thrown in for good measure. A lot to take in for a novella, but McKinney does it with ease and a flair all of her own.
359 reviews2 followers
May 17, 2018
Good Book

This was a good mystery I did not determine who did it until the story told me. I liked the characters and would like to know them better. I hope you would too. Happy Reading!
Profile Image for bex.
2,435 reviews20 followers
August 12, 2018
2 star

The story feels like it is just starting then suddenly it is tied up. More or less by accident. Also no character arc at all on either of the two primary characters. So it has a smidgen of plot but just feels pointless.
January 21, 2019
Shirt, sweet, and a good read!

I love the turns this book takes. These characters are relatable and these men are incredibly sexy. I'm binge reading the series and know I will enjoy them all.
Profile Image for tabitha bradshaw.
718 reviews1 follower
August 12, 2019
A Quickie with Feels!

This book is a little shorter than normal, but it’s got great characters and sets the stage for even more mysteries. PI Dixie is looking for answers about a missing woman when she meets Marine Liam who is curious about the case and Dixie. Super read! Enjoy!!!
666 reviews14 followers
August 16, 2019
I enjoyed this book. It has great character's. I enjoyed the love story in the midst of the killings. The plot is great too. I am interested in reading more of this series, too. I am following this author and looking forward to more!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 45 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.