Start by marking “The Steves” as Want to Read:
The Steves

The Steves

When puffin Steve meets puffin Steve, neither can believe it. Surely one of them must be the first Steve, the best Steve, the Stevest of Steves...But is a name really worth fighting over?
Published September 4th 2018 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Steves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Steves

Start your review of The Steves
Jane
The Steves is a quick little read that will be sure to amuse those in the potty humour crowd. Steve and Steve are two puffins who are not impressed when they each discover they are not the only Steve.

Things escalate from trying to outdo each other into name calling as each Steve tries to win the title of Top Steve.

The two Steves eventually apologize to each other and decide to become friends, but there is a real lack of any explanation about how that happened. This would definitely be a
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
5 happy puffin yellow stars! I enjoyed a previous children's book by Hood quite a lot (I Am Bat)and the publisher offered this book for review via Netgalley. I loved it! Great and colorful illustrations that young children will find bright and fun of adorable little Puffins. The yellow is very eye catching! It will open up the opportunity for a much needed discussion about comparison and if anyone is better than another or are we all equal. I really liked this theme and would definitely like to ...more
Julie Carpenter
3.5*

This was a silly children's story about two puffins both named Steve. When they meet there is of course a competition between the two of them for who is the better Steve at this and that.

I think young kids will laugh and have fun reading this book as well as enjoy the bright colors and illustrations.

The two Steves start out with silly reasons why they're the number one Steve and of course turns to being frustrated and angry with the others' reasons to where they hurt each other's feelings.
Juliana
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a digital ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Steve the puffin believes he's the best Steve. That is until the other puffin named Steve comes into the picture. They immediately become competitive and defensive about who is the best Steve. One Steve is older so he obviously is better. The other Steve still thinks highly of himself and puts down the older Steve. I love the illustrations the most because it's playful and makes the story work, What children find out is
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
How I managed to pick up a kid-lit picture book at Book Expo containing the sassiest of puffins ever is beyond me. This book reminds me of that "Husband Penguin v.s. Homewrecker Penguin" video. Anyways, ending's a cliffhanger wtf.

(Also ignore my rating because I don't got much to say about picture books so.)
Benji
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GOOD. 7 PAGES PRIMARILY CONSISTING OF THE WORD STEVE.CHALLENGING BUT FASCINATING.I APPLAUD U MORAG HOOD
Carla Johnson-Hicks
A short, cute story about two puffins named Steve. They begin and argument/competition about who is the first and best Steve. It shows how silly it is to argue about this. There was not a lot to it so it will appeal to younger children, but they won't really understand the message. The illustrations are bright, large and eye catching and would certainly be enjoyed by children. Not sure what age this book is actually aimed at. The publisher generously provided me with this book via Netgalley.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two puffins come together and realise they are both called Steve! Arguments and name calling ensues, who came first? Who is more Steve than the other?
An amusing and bright picture book that highlights the importance of sharing and acceptance, even if it's your name!
Literary Soirée
Boy, do I love this little book! It has the cutest illustrations and a fun story about two Puffins named Steve who try to outdo the other by singing their own praises. Their competitiveness heats up until one accuses the other of having weird feet and smelling like poo. Shows that forgiveness and civility are virtues children are wise to learn — and that adults can benefit from too. 5/5

Thanks to the author, Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.
The Library Lady
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
There is truth in this, when your child discovers that you named him Jayden and her Neveah, but that there are 50 skadillion other parents who thought they were being really cool and original weren't.
And the pictures are amusing. They get the star.

But what goes on here is a battle of meanness, complete with potty humor, and the reconciliation at the end really doesn't happen for a logical reason. I am not sure who this is intended for, besides the author.
Sylvia
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read for story time. I think my older kids (kindergarten and first grade) liked this book best. Preschoolers were a tiny bit confused, but thought the idea of 2 birds named Steve was great.
Kids loved the bright, yet simple illustrations.
I think this book would have been even better if myself and another librarian had been able to each read as Steve 1 and Steve 2.
Jamison
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
brilliant story with important message! will appeal to all ages! one of my favourite books in a long time
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
cute. children will love it.
Steven
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My name is Steve, and I approve this book!
Ryan
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am sure that every new school year brings this fight back to the forefront. Which Steve is THE Steve? Which is stronger, faster, smarter, etc? You see this story played out on the pages as it would in real life. And as such, you get a chuckle, but don’t get to deal with the upset children. So high fives all around and everyone can be Steve.
Shilpa
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Competition can be healthy (and fun). And, when it's two puffins competing, the entertainment level is off the charts. Especially when Morag Hood does the writing.

She's the creative genius who wrote about an unlikely friendship between vegetables - Colin and Lee, Carrot and Pea.

There's a playfulness to her writing and the illustrations are adorable. She knows just how to appeal to kids (and adults alike).

In her new book, The Steves, she once again brings the same level of humour and
Storywraps
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steve the Puffin has met his match... another Puffin named Steve. Really? Two Steves? Oh my. Let the competition begin. Each try to out-Steve the other by touting their abilities. A huge argument ensues with shouting and name-calling. I'm the oldest, the wiser, the taller, I can catch more fish than you. I'm the fastest, the strongest... therefore "I AM STEVE".

Attitudes and their words take a deep dive. The Puffins get more personal and insulting. One Steve accuses the other of having WEIRD
Debbie Smith
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The first Steve to speak in the book assures the other Steve that he can be Steve the Second.

No deal.

If they determine who is the oldest that should solve the problem.

Nope. Not that easy.

Maybe whichever one is the wisest, tallest, or can catch the most fish should be called Steve.

Nope.

Maybe name calling will work.

"You’ve got weird feet.

WEIRD FEET STEVE!

Well, you smell.

SMELLS LIKE POO STEVE."

One Steve smells himself and says he doesn’t smell like poo. The other examines his feet and declares them
Clara
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll admit it, I may have become an accidental fangirl of Morag Hood.

Mentioned to me by one of my other favourite PanMac authors, I was pretty excited when this glorious YELLOW (and it fully deserves the capitals) caught my eye in the shop. Possibly read it right there and then, giggled like a child, remembered that I was there to do my job, and then took a copy home with me later to promptly read out-loud to my housemate/cat.

These stories are just *good*. They are so delightful and humorous
Mathew
Is this book big enough to hold two Steves? Only by getting to the end will you find out! Hood presents a bold-coloured humorous verbal scuffle between two puffins with the same name. Each of them vie to show the other that they alone are the 'Stevest Steve' whether that's through height, reading prowess or age. But when a comment gets a little nasty both Puffins recognise their error, apologise and head off to bowl! A perfect, perfect read aloud (even better if you can get children doing the ...more
Breakaway Reviewers
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of two rather puffed up little birds!

Morag Hood has written and illustrated this beautiful, very bright and colourful story of two puffins called Steve who each think they are more important than the other.

I found the drawings amusing as is the storyline and feel sure that any young child being given this book will spend hours enthralled with the drawings and very simple story. The perfect book for a child to start learning to identify words and colours.

Treebeard

Breakaway Reviewers
Patrycja
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is funny story, but at the same time a little mean like for my taste. I know kids try to out do themselves, and do things that are pointed in the book, but do we need more of negativity in our kids lives?
The story is about two Steves that try to show the other one who is better. It uses some potty language, which I am never fun of.

Illustrations are very simple. Mostly one color pages with two puffins arguing on each.

As an adult I find it funny, but I wouldn't like to read it to my kids too
Christina Reid
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
I really like Morag Hood's illustrations and loved her previous book. The Steves features two puffins with the same name who are trying to prove that they are the best 'Steve'. I enjoyed the colourful pictures and the personality shown by each character as well as the subtle differences between them. I was less amused by some of the insults that the two puffins started throwing at each other. I thought that the ending was brilliant, if a little rushed.
Kelsey
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, ebook, picture-book
I received a digital review copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A humorous picture book about competition and jealousy, but the lesson seems to happen without any explanation. I enjoyed the bright and bold illustrations, but the whole story seemed rushed.
Rachel
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a digital ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A cute, simple book about two puffins named Steve, each competing to be "the stevest Steve". Children will enjoy reading as the puffins verbally bounce back and forth with sillier and sillier insults, though the ending does feel rushed and seems to come out of nowhere.
Kim
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hahahahaha! Read this to preschoolers. They will love meeting the Steves, watching them bicker, and enjoy the budding friendship that may happen... .
Bright illustrations will capture and hold the attention of children as will the creative insults that fly among the Steves. Children will gasp in awe at the boldness of the Steves.
Read. Enjoy. Share with children.
Timothy Burbage
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2018
Read this in the book shop and it made me laugh out loud.

Steve the puffin meets another puffin, who is also called Steve. They argue over who is the best Steve. They say some mean, and funny, things to each other as they argue.

It's hilarious. Everyone should read it
Garrett
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
They decide that they like each other very quickly after spending the majority of the book hating each other. And then that third Steve shows up and they're going to gang up on him? These penguins with to CHILL out.

GET IT?
Ruth Anne
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
Two puffins named Steve go through 'anything you can do I can do better' until they really insult and hurt each others feelings, then apologize. This would be good for a caregiver to read with a young child and discuss.
Maggie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: life-lessons, friends
First time, was underwhelmed though I love the illustrations. And I didn't really like the name calling to I'm sorry simplification. Then re-reading it, like it better: is a great snapshot of kids relationships

• Giraffe Problems
  • Me And My Fear
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • Star in the Jar
  • Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise
  • Do You Believe in Unicorns?
  • I Do Not Like Books Anymore!
  • Lyric McKerrigan, Secret Librarian
  • Julián Is a Mermaid
  • Tiger vs. Nightmare
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Crash, Splash, or Moo!
  • Mixed: A Colorful Story
"I'm an award-winning children's book author and illustrator from Edinburgh. I love making up stories, print-making and cutting and sticking. My favourite things to draw are eyebrows.

I have an MA in Children's Book Illustration from Cambridge School of Art and a BA in Costume Design from Wimbledon College of Art. I used to work in theatre, but now spend my days in my Edinburgh studio with views of