Start by marking “Essence of Prayer” as Want to Read:
Essence of Prayer

Essence of Prayer

Prayer is a word we take for granted. Ought we to do so? What do we mean by prayer? What does the word mean in the Christian context? Almost always when we talk about prayer we refer to something we do. From that standpoint, questions problems, confusion, discouragement and illusions multiply. For Ruth Burrows it is essential to correct this view. Our Christian knowledge a ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by HiddenSpring (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Essence of Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essence of Prayer

Start your review of Essence of Prayer
booklady
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who would learn to pray
Wonderful! My Benedictine Spiritual Director recommended this Carmelite book on prayer to me, which he said he would read. What drew me to it was words like these:
'Our Christian knowledge assures us that prayer is essentially what God does, how God addresses us, looks at us. It is not primarily something we are doing to God, something we are giving to God but what God is doing for us. And what God is doing for us is giving us the divine Self in love.'

and,

'Our troubles and distress arise from o
Sally
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm taking this one slow and savoring it. It is opening up for me new ways of looking at prayer. I especially liked the chapters on Elizabeth of the Trinity and on Teresa of Avila, as well as some of the early chapters.

...

Now that I have finished, I am somewhat amazed at how relevant the last two chapters of this book are to my most recent crisis of faith. "A genuine life of faith of necessity destroys illusion. It needs none. It seeks the truth with passion." Ruth Burows, a Carmelite nun, prese
Craig Bergland
I read Ruth Burrows' books in the 1990s while I was an Oblate of a Religious Order and liked them a lot, so I decided to revisit her writing with Essence of Prayer. I would have to say, that although my spiritual position has moved quite a bit since the 1990s, that I enjoyed this book very much. I don't know that I agreed with everything she said, or maybe it's that I now question the benefits of some aspects of the cloistered life, but I can say that I enjoyed this book greatly and even agreed ...more
Harry Allagree
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you want a no-nonsense, no frills, very readable explanation of what prayer is all about & how it relates to the life of a follower of Jesus Christ, I highly recommend this book. Ruth Burrows has been a Carmelite in Quidenham, England, for over 50 years. The simple wisdom of her half a dozen or so earlier books is continued in this work: "...prayer", she says, "is essentially what God does, how God addresses us, looks at us...what God is doing for us. And what God is doing for us is giving us ...more
Heidi
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A dense but rich text teaching a Carmelite perspective on prayer. Most striking teachings for me included that prayer is "not a technique but a relationship" and that to measure "how well we pray" is a fallacy (I hear her indicting Centering Prayer, here). All that is required is to sit and "let God love you." Easier said than done, of course, but point taken. Also, the Carmelite teaching that: "You. Are. Poor." (punctuation mine). She includes chapters on the lives and teachings of Teresa of Av ...more
Carlos Suarez
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a series of reflections on prayer. It draws from the well of Carmelite spirituality, but it's broadly applicable to people in all walks of life who want to delve deeper into their relationship with God.
Cala Meyers
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful description of our life of prayer and intimate relationship with God.
Antonio
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on prayer. My takeaway from the book is that life is not for just staying alive, but for prayer. Which is firstly loving and being loved by God, and consequently and inevitably loving and being loved by neighbor.
Prayer - defined as being receptive to God’s love - is always successful because God is unconditional love. The best thing we can do is to commit to daily prayer in which we open our hearts to being loved by God!
Ann Yeong
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An honest, unsentimental look at prayer and the spiritual life. This will be a treasure for one who is ready to be confronted with the unvarnished, startling yet frightening truth about what it means to pray and to be in personal relationship with God.
Lisa Hincapie
This is a wonderful book on surrendering ourselves to Our Lord in prayer. As a Camelite contemplative nun, Sr. Burrows shows what God is doing for us in prayer. She is very candid at times but always to help us understand how much God loves us and wants a relationship with us.
Chip
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on prayer available.
Rosemary
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Very insightful-she speaks in a language I can understand! Great book to read in small doses.
Ian Cron

• The Things We Cannot Say
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • The Way I Heard It
  • The American
  • Murder in Cold Mud (Churchill & Pemberley #2)
  • Into Your Hands, Father: Abandoning Ourselves to the God Who Loves Us
  • Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1)
  • Interior Freedom