Start by marking “The Spite Game” as Want to Read:
The Spite Game

The Spite Game

Everyone does bad things when no one is watching

Mercilessly bullied in high school, Ava knows she needs to put the past behind her and move on, but she can’t—not until she’s exacted precise, catastrophic revenge on the people who hurt her the most.

First, she watches Saanvi. Flawlessly chic and working hard at a top architectural firm, Saanvi has it all together on the surf
Published October 30th 2018 by MIRA

Start your review of The Spite Game
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Shelves: from-publisher
This has got to be the most fun book I've BR with Dennis (@scaredstraightreads) to date. We both started the same morning, and both finished that same evening within minutes of each other. Just call us N'SYNC. Both of us had been craving a certain type of book lately; it didn't have to be perfect, just compulsive in nature and entertaining to no end. Guys, this was the perfect novel to pick up in meeting those criteria. It wasn't perfect, and I can see why it won't be for some readers, but if yo ...more
Kylie D
Well, that was an interesting book! Ava was bullied in high school by her "friends" and slowly, over the years, she's determined to get revenge for herself, make them pay. It starts off with little things, just to throw them, but it starts to escalate into something a lot more. And then there's no going back...

I really enjoyed this book, coming fully invested in Ava's little games. It jumps around a bit, which can be a bit disconcerting, but this doesn't ultimately distract from overall gratific
Deanna
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

“Everyone does bad things when no one is watching”

The book begins with the main character, Ava telling us that we may not want to hear her story, but if we want her confession then we will have to listen. We are told what she was like before, back when she was “normal”. She never thought she would end up where she is now…

She says that it all started in the girls changing room.

Ava just wanted to be friends with the popular g
Bren
"I don’t think I’m the right person to ask about being normal, but I’ve always thought the best way to live is to embrace your crazy. I’ll tell you now it’s always a hell of a lot more fun."

The Spite Game by Anna Snoekstra

I stayed up all night to finish this little gem. That's the type of book it is. Hooks you from the first page.

The Spite Game, by Anna Snoekstra, differs a bit from your average book about bullying. This book goes further, as it shows the ramifications of what bullying someone
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

As far as the social strata went, we were barely in the equation. We were cooler than the kids with chronic acne who played cards in the back of the library, but not by much… I felt ready. I wanted to see the true potential of my life, to have fun and get drunk and kiss boys and skip school. I wanted to see what I was capable of. I was just waiting for my in.

There had been always been an ache in my chest. I hadn’t known it was there until now, when it was gone. I knew all I had t
Lisa
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Ava is always the outsider at school she is being bullied constantly by a group of girls it all starts in the change room where they start calling her names, like PSYCHO which she doesn't like , she eventually hangs around them & thinks that everything is fine but underneath it isn't .

As the prose progresses she seeks revenge on all who bullied her one by one she takes them down , i found this to be a slow burn which builds up to a chilling conclusion, i felt for Ava as she had a bad ho
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I have really enjoyed previous books by Anna Snoekstra and this one jumped out at me and I couldn't wait to read it. It did not let me down, although it wasn,t as good as her previous book Little Secrets. It was a fun, fast but at times disturbing read with some very nasty characters.

We all know the mean girls at school. These 3 girls were just hideous! But at school Ava wanted nothing more than to be friends with them, the popular girls. Time and time again she let them make fun of her and bull
Tammie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A solid 4 stars for me. The Spite Game switches frequently from past to present and centers around main character Ava. Ava wanted nothing more than to be friends with these three girls in high school; girls I think of as the “mean girls”. Girls that torment the weak, the chubby and the different. So desperate to be friends with these girls, Ava let’s herself get bullied and treated like crap by them. Adult Ava wasn’t able to let the past go and she sets out to seek revenge on the three girls. A ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
Yeah, this book was not great.

The blurb sounded fantastic, and I decided to read it despite it's OK rating. I shouldn't have.

The constantly changing timelines were super confusing. If you're going to jump back and forth and forward and back again, you need to at least give the reader SOME idea of what year you're in. It was so disjointed and confusing. That on top of a very lackluster revenge scheme made me wish I hadn't bothered with it.
Kristy
Ava was terribly bullied in high school by three girls she idolized: Melissa, Cass, Saanvi. One particular incident so traumatized her that she cannot move on and years later, she finds herself unable to get past it. So she watches her former classmates--online and in real life--and she plots. If she can just find a way to get even, Ava thinks, then she can move on with her own life. But Ava's stalking threatens to overtake her life and perhaps her sanity. She finds herself in a police station, ...more
Kristy K
This is a story of a girl, Ava, who gets revenge on a group of people who bullied and played tricks on to her in high school. It goes back and forth between past and present.

I was hoping for a new spin on this narrative but it kept to the same plot devices as other books with revenge plots. Ava presents some psychopathic tendencies but so does almost everyone else in the story so the shock value of her deeds are lessened.

The ending wasn’t shocking nor unexpected. Those who enjoy revenge plots
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Boom! In my long list of my Top 18 Reads of 2018!

I read this cover to cover over a few hours, one of those great books that lets you delve into it until you come back up for air. Riveting.

I don’t know what genre this falls into. It’s got early YA elements in it as teenagers are the focus but as the characters grow into young women it’s more of a psychological thriller with some dark overtones.

You know that gang of girls in high school that other girls yearned to be friends with? The ones that ev
Dennis
Ava's world came tumbling down when she befriended the three mean girls of her high school class. Saanvi, Cass, and Mel were the trio of trouble in their school hierarchical order. After Ava helps Mel by sabotaging someone who has wronged her, the group invites her into their social circle. Never really feeling fully immersed into the group, Ava questions the dynamic between the clique. After one night of partying, the girls decide to backstab Ava, and destroy her social life completely. Ava is ...more
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Spite Game by Anna Snoekstra. (2018).

After an incident in high school, Ava is badly bullied. She knows she needs to move on but she just can't; not until she gets revenge on those who hurt her the most - Theo, Saanvi, Cass and Mel. Mel was always the ringleader and if anyone should pay, it's her. Then Ava realises that Mel knows she's being watched and she's ready to play Ava's games to the bitter end.

I liked this book but felt i
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
81DwUYT7V+L
This was fabulous It only loses some points from me because of the slightly confused and jumpy timeline: this I found took slightly some getting used to but when I did The Spite Game for me was ever such a satisfying read.
A psychological thriller that cleverly conveys the story of Ava and her obsession with her former classmate's actions towards her and showing us that there's a fine line separating such strong feelings of acceptance versus Revenge and Adoration versus Hate.
That even after time,
Michelle
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I have read by Anna Snoekstra and I was definitely impressed. When I read the synopsis of this book I knew I just had to read it, as it sounds like the type of psychological thriller book that I would just love and devour. I was right!

This book takes you on a journey with a woman named Ava. Bullied relentlessly and embarrassed to no end in high school, Ava exacts revenge on all her "friends" she had in high school who did her wrong and bullied her. Those 3 so-called frien
Elizabeth
Oct 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Tl;dr: If you call someone a psycho enough in high school you can turn them into one?!? A disjointed and disappointing muddle.

The Spite Game is nominally a thriller, though it's very clear from the opening how things are going to go. And go it does, through page after page of one increasingly unbelievable set piece after another.

The mc, Ava, was bullied by three girls in high school (well, one of them was a bystander) and spends the next decade or so pondering revenge and then sort of exacting r
Julie Parks
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, ya
This was very interesting, and more YA than adult because most of the story was in flashbacks.

It would've been much better as a book if it was actually YA story because like many other reviewers noted, the main character seems a bit stuck back in time and more in need of therapy than anything else. And, yes, she sounds self-pitying and whiny and not like someone you want to root for much.

I did enjoy the writing style a lot, even though it needs an edit or two, a lot of parts felt barely stitche
Kat Dietrich
The Spite Game by Ana Snoekstra is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Harlequin - MIRA, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:
Ava is at the police station, waiting for the detective to come in. She has a confession to make.

As Ava sits in the interrogation room, she thinks back over her life, and the reason she is in this room.

She remembers being rather shy in hi
Amy
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-netgalley
****4-4.25 stars****

The Spite Game by Anna Snoekstra is darker, more vulgar version of Mean Girls and I couldn't put it down. I flew through this read and just flat out loved this book. These girls are literally "the worst" to Anna growing up in school but yet she wants to be friends with them and finds herself going to extremes to friend them. She also obsessed over what they did to her and could never forgive and move on in life. I wouldn't say there is a lot of mystery or unknowns in this rea
OutlawPoet
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that just feels kind of ick when you read it.

While I felt for Ava, I also wanted her to grow up. What happened to her in the past was simply awful, but she was more in need of therapy than revenge.

There were some surprises in the book – especially in the end with one particular character – but it can be hard to get through a book when you simply hate the main character – and hate her I did!

The book is sort of suspenseful, but honestly? It wasn’t enjoyable.

Next time, g
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @45%
2018; Mira/Harlequin

I liked the premise of this book and the first two chapters were good, but then it started waning for me. It kept talking about this thing happening but never came to it. I am trying not to force myself to read books I am not enjoying so DNF it goes.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
Amitaf0208
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars - entertaining.
The Cats’ Mother
I think that this is a good story, but couldn’t say I enjoyed it, as being inside the head of the most unlikeable protagonist in a long time was deeply uncomfortable. Don’t get me wrong - I don’t need them to be lovely people, but if I’m going to read about a psychopath I want them to be smart, witty, charming and amoral, not angsting over how awful they are.

Ava sits alone in a Melbourne police station, waiting to speak to a detective and rehearsing her confession of her role in the disappearanc
Laura Rash
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Mean Girls with a nasty twist to it. Kind of told in a roundabout way that everything doesn’t fall into place until the last few pages but I liked how it panned out
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
When I was a kid they called me different. When I was a teenager they said I was wild. When I was a young woman they called me eccentric. When I turned sixty I was batty. Now they say I’m demented. I’ve always thought the best way to live is to embrace your crazy. I’ll tell you now it’s always a hell of a lot more fun.

I was a little sheepish to read this title because it comes across as maybe a bit YA. Boy was I wrong! I REALLY enjoyed this book, my first by Anna Snoekstra.

I liked the prem
Katie
If you were ever bullied in school, you would probably enjoy living vicariously with the main character, Ava, as she seeks revenge on those “mean girls” who wronged her. The book goes back in forth in time to give flashbacks of the high school events. Ava works so hard at her revenge schemes that she ceases really living her own life and starts to lose who she is. I found The Spite Game to be a quick, easy read and it made me glad that I have not become stuck in the past trying to get revenge on ...more
Holly
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was surprised how much I liked this. You might read this and think that Ava was just a tad obsessed with her old "friends" and maybe think she needed to move on. You might be correct. She was obsessed. Revenge isn't simple though and sometimes its hard to move on until you see that everyone gets what they deserve. It was told in flashbacks and not in order either, so sometimes it was hard to keep the timeline straight but I did like it. ...more
Bill Kupersmith
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best served cold could be an alternative title.

Rather a messy plot and more characters than we could find a good use for, but a superb depiction of the erotics of school bullying and revenge.
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
I'm a sucker for a red cover. Always. Every time. Slap that cover on a book where you don't even really need to think and just sit back to enjoy the ride - color me happily entertained. Exactly what I needed after a busy moving weekend.

The synopsis pretty much tell it all. Ava gets bullied and now is exacting revenge. BOOM. Good enough for me! This has a bit of a Heathers feel with Ava as Veronica, ya get me? Not quite as dark but definitely dark enough.... like a dark YA novel though I know thi

• Lost Without You
  • Elevator Pitch
  • Go to My Grave
  • Strangers at the Gate
  • The Fragments
  • The War Widow (Billie Walker Mystery, #1)
Anna Snoekstra was born in Canberra, Australia in 1988. She studied Creative Writing and Cinema at Melbourne University, followed by Screenwriting at RMIT University.

Anna's short films and music videos have screened around the world. She has written an array of published and award winning short fiction. Her debut novel ONLY DAUGHTER was published in September 2016 (Mira). Her second novel LITTLE S

News & Interviews

“But even if everyone wants you to be invisible, even if you want it too, that doesn't make it happen.” 0 likes