Start by marking “Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences” as Want to Read:

An influential pastor, podcaster, and thought leader believes it's not only possible to predict life's hardest moments, but also to alter outcomes, overcome challenges, and defeat your fiercest adversaries.

Founding Pastor of one of North America's most influential churches, Carey Nieuwhof wants to help you avoid and overcome life's seven hardest and most crippling
Published September 4th 2018 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Didn't See It Coming, please sign up.
Stuart Smith I once heard a speaker say that we know that we have truly understood the other’s point of view when we can make the argument from their point of view…moreI once heard a speaker say that we know that we have truly understood the other’s point of view when we can make the argument from their point of view and win. I think that the same principle can apply where relevancy is concerned. To be relevant does not mean that we agree, it means that we understand the world well enough that we know how we can speak the truth in love in a manner that the world can hear it and understand how it applies to them. Paul’s speech to the Areopagus is a great example(less)

Start your review of Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences
Justin Piercy
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can count on one hand the number of books to which I say “I need to re-read this book every year” after I finish them.

This is one of them. Gold.
Bronwyn
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant. Covering seven of life’s challenges – cynicism, compromise, disconnection, irrelevance, pride, burnout and emptiness – Carey Nieuwhof writes in a warm, engaging style while pulling no punches.

Be warned – this book might cut close to the bone. I found a couple of the chapters quite unnerving. Carey offers sound insights as he addresses the challenges, mixing principles with engaging stories and suggestions. He writes in a way that is practical and grounded.

A few of my
Tim Fountain
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like the epic burger, this one is In 'n' Out. It will take you IN - into your own heart to explore and reveal. In some cases, this will be hindsight that makes sense of past experiences. In others, it will be a warning that can help you avoid considerable pain and havoc - or at least give you ideas for making the pain managed and surgical as you cut out unhealthy ways of thinking, feeling and acting.

It takes you OUT as well. The personal calamities that Carey examines are those that cripple our
Michael Tuggle
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, faith
"Didn't See It Coming" by Carey Nieuwhof should be required reading for every working person regardless of profession. Better yet, colleges and universities should just give every graduate a copy with their diploma. I can't think of a single person in my 27 years in the advertising business who wouldn't have benefitted from reading it.

In this heartfelt, thoughtful and extremely transparent book, Canadian pastor, author and speaker Nieuwhof offers a primer for how to deal with the "7 Greatest
David Mullens
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
In “Didn’t See it Coming” Carey Nieuwhof outlines seven challenges that can catch a pastor or leader by surprise even though they are ubiquitous. The seven challenges are Cynicism, Compromise, Disconnection, Irrelevance, Pride, Burnout, and Emptiness. Carey calls these seven challenges “epidemics of our age.” While these things have a tendency to catch us off guard, they don’t need to if we see the warning signs.

The book addresses these seven challenges in their own section each with two
Melissa Doppler
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading "Didn't See It Coming", for the first time. I say "first time" because this is a book you want to read quickly. Not because it's telling a great story - but because it's telling YOUR story. So many times, it felt like Carey had some magic microscope that could hone in on my life, my hurts, my struggles and dreams in a way that even I couldn't. The best part is that he doesn't just shine a light on the struggles of a leader, he provides ways to address and overcome them. ...more
Roy Ferguson
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carey Nieuwhof has given us a gift by writing Didn't See It Coming. It's one thing to identify what he calls the seven greatest challenges that no one expects and everyone experiences, but the gift of this book is that he provides a path to overcome these challenges. Every challenge is identified in one chapter, and then in the successive one he provides a way out of the prison that each challenge brings.

Every chapter was something, as a leader, that I've struggled with. However, the chapters on
Ben
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No one sets out to fail. In fact, we often begin journeys with the end in mind, excited about the prospect of finishing. When I was younger, our family would travel to Florida almost yearly. The trip itself was long, even in a climate-controlled van with a TV/VCR combo and an audio splitter so my sister and I could watch VHS movies. Even as the destination was so worth the journey, the journey was long and could get uncomfortable and boring. This was before the Waze app and Google Maps, so there ...more
Char
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whether or not we realize it, life is like a riptide. You can be standing in the shallows watching the waves and without warning be pulled out to sea. Author Carey Nieuwhof knows the danger signs of a life in leadership, and he wants all of us to not look back after a life threatening experience and say, “How did that happen?” Though Nieuwhof is a pastor vocationally, his passion is leadership - for leaders now and in the future. He addresses the pitfalls for leaders, and really for all of us, ...more
Jeremiah Feicht
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book. One of the best I've read this year. Carey writes from personal experience which really makes it connect. This book jumps into difficult topics that are not typically covered. I intend to read it again. I received an advanced reader copy.
Randy Baker
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems no longer shocking to discover that Mood and Mental Health issues are increasing in diversity, intensity and pervasiveness within our society today. There are many different underlying causes to Mood and Mental Health issues, and these causes are found in all social groups within our society.

I have read a number of books related to Mood Disorders and Mental Health issues over the years. The books I have read seem to take a clinical approach to the subject, where the authors is the
Chris Everson
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I needed to read! Walking through ”Didn't See It Coming” helped me take a look at my own life and see my blind spots in front of me.

A key in the book for me are the words Carey shares from John Calvin, even though I am a Methodist;). ”Without knowledge of self there is no knowledge of God.... Without knowledge of God there is no knowledge of self.”

I highly recommend this book, and will gladly encourage others to read it.

I received an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Keith Hudson
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the 7 Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences" by Carey Nieuwhof is an incredibly helpful book. This book is written from a Christian and leader viewpoint, it is relevant for individuals in whatever stage of life or walk of life you are in. The book addresses 7 relevant and practical challenges that affect individuals at different points in life. These 7 challenges includes: cynicism, compromise, disconnection, irrelevance, pride, ...more
Brett
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Didn't See It Coming"...Didn't see what coming? Very intriguing title...especially from Carey Nieuwhof. I was excited to be part of the launch team, mainly because I was part of the selected number of people who were able to read Carey's book first. I wondered if this book would be good for only Christians? Christians in leadership? Full-Time Ministers? Leaders? Non-Christian? Simply everyday people? The answer is yes!

"Didn't See It Coming" speaks to others to help them prepare, warn, and
Matt Wiggins
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Going to admit that right from the cover I was a bit skeptical: how could Carey Nieuwhof know the challenges (especially if there's really 7 of them!) that everyone would experience but not expect? I was then pleasantly surprised/terrified when one of the initial chapters on cynicism described my internal conversations for the last few years with a shocking level of accuracy. There are a few out of the 7 that I'm not totally positive I will wrestle with, but Nieuwhof's treatment of all of them ...more
Nate Gustafson
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Epidemics hitting North America: Loneliness, Emptiness, Isolation, Meaninglessness and “Fake” Leadership. Each of these epidemics are hard to see in advance until they take a great-white bite out of your soul. Carey Nieuwhof is a rare, honest communicator and leader who takes on these epidemics and sounds a clear warning in leadership circles with his book "Didn’t See it Coming: Overcoming the 7 Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences."

I’ve served in church and
Caleb Choate
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many authors unsuccessfully attempt to write on vast cultural assumptions because their approach is too shallow to create meaningful connection to the reader. In "Didn't See it Coming," Carey did an amazing job of writing on a broad assumption by breaking down the struggle of what many people in younger generations calls "adulting" into very tangible and traceable sub-categories. Though many authors might successfully scratch the surface Carey found a way to dig into the soul of the reader and ...more
Philip R EuBank
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm definitely the target audience for this book. I'm a leader in my early 30's and life often moves too fast with so many moving pieces that I answer 'good' when someone asks how I'm doing more out of habit than honest introspection.

I wouldn't have said I needed this book or that I was at a point of personal crisis before reading it but I'm so glad that I did. This is by far Carey's most personal and direct book in which he delves into his own personal leadership crisis and how he can see the
Alan Rathbun
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad I read this book! It would have been even better if I read it in my 30s, but I’m pretty sure based on his personal stories, Carey wouldn’t have been able to write it then (Carey Nieuwhof and I are roughly the same age).
The whole book is an inviting combination of easy to read and a deep dive into the heart. That’s a rare combination in my opinion. It’s also a combination of challenge and hope - another rare combination. I’ve read challenging books, that leave me feeling like I fall
Todd Mckeever
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In “Didn’t See it Coming” Carey Nieuwhof outlines seven challenges that can catch a pastor or leader by surprise even though they are ubiquitous. The seven challenges are:
1. Cynicism
2. Compromise
3. Disconnection
4. Irrelevance
5. Pride
6. Burnout
7. Emptiness.

Carey calls these seven challenges “epidemics of our age.” While these things tend to catch us off guard, they don’t need to if we see the warning signs.

While there may be more than seven challenges knock leaders off course, if the
AJAMES
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Carey Nieuwhof tackles achievement, emptiness, and the perils of western consumer culture in just over 200 pages. But he hasn’t taken a lite approach. He is a Protestant minister from a generation of church leaders who are either fronting or have founded large congregations appealing to nonbelievers.
His refers to Jean-Paul Sartre to John Calvin and then to Ecclesiastes as he outlines writes a cautionary reflection on the limitations of success.

Emotional burnout is the organizing theme for Didn’
Eric Taylor
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been a big fan of Carey Nieuwhoff for years. I listen to his podcast, read his blogs and books because I believe he is one of the great voices in leadership today. So, when I heard about his new book coming out I knew I'd have to read it and I was not disappointed. Thankfully I was sent an advance copy and I couldn't put it down. The organization of the book made it easy to work through as it introduced one of seven challenges and then the follow up chapter in each of the seven sections ...more
Matt Manney
Shelves: leadership
Didn't See it Coming is about identifying and addressing the 7 challenges all people experience to some degree but no one really wants to talk about. The seven sections are Cynicism, Compromise, Disconnection, Irrelevance, Pride, Burnout, and Emptiness. Carey takes two chapters per section. The first chapter identifies the problem and the second chapter in each section provides the solution. If you're a Nieuwhof fan and avid reader of his blog, you find many of his same anecdotes and helpful ...more
Shenai Alonge-Moore
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a gift, and not just for leaders.

While Nieuwhof is perhaps best known for his work in leadership, in this book he sets out to explore and help conquer seven significant challenges everyone—leader or not—faces whether they expect to or not, and he does a good job of it.

There are two things that stand out to me the most about this book:

1) The explanations of the seven challenges are excellent. It’s not just run of the mill definitions. He provides thorough, well rounded, in-depth
Dustin C.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carey Nieuwhof’s latest work offers an unflinching and grace-filled look into some of the most-common struggles that threaten to derail the life of every person. From the creeping coldness of cynicism, the unexpected ease with which we slip into irrelevancy or the subtle ways pride builds a kingdom to itself, these threats quietly, almost imperceptibly, find root in best intentions and ultimately bear bitter fruit.

Though Carey addresses these topics head-on, he never comes across as delivering a
Gayle Wiese
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carey Niewhof has provided a primer for life. He walks with you through the unexpected and provides a way to manage the unexpected in life with grace and courage. He is vulnerable, authentic, and transparent. Not many people are willing to share their deepest experiences with others, let alone on a world stage in a manner that is uplifting and encouraging beyond himself.

Carey has given you a gift of life and breath. There is a way to handle the obstacles, and now everyone has a friend that has
Chad H
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most leadership books or principles focus on the start or the finish. Goal setting is great, but if we are not careful we will allow people to applaud us to our own end, as we lead and accomplish "the measurables". This book is different. Carey Nieuwhof has a unique ability to look into the hearts of leaders and show us a lot about ourselves. He shows us things we dont like, and makes us glad he did. He shows us how to lead ourselves along the way, as we lead others toward the finish.

In "Didnt
David Faulkner
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes in life an issue trips you up and you wonder how on earth you missed the warning signs. Carey Nieuwhof writes about seven such issues. Each gets two chapters - one about the problem and a second about solutions. The trouble for me was, I think all seven have hit me at one time or another in my life. And when I read the solutions, I'm largely culpable. Thus, although this book's words are easy to read, the content can lead to lots of hard work in applying remedial action.

Nieuwhof is a
Bill Cramsie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The new book by @careynieuwhof #DidntSeeItComing took me a little by surprise. It is an easy read, organized to describe a challenge in your life and then followed up with practical advise how to turn the challenge into growth. Carey provides great suggestions based on his personal and leadership experience. The book is easy to read and will be an easy work guide for applying growth areas to your life. Every chapter is a surprise. Carey tells a story in the beginning of the book about sharing ...more
Richard Heyduck
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I came to Didn’t See It Coming as a regular reader of Carey Nieuwhof’s blog. I’ve listened to his podcast since the beginning. I’ve found his work helpful and insightful for my role as a pastor and Christian leader. Though I reckoned him to be at the top of the game in providing leadership insights and a skilled interviewer, I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book aimed at a general audience.

Going by the title alone, I thought of my own “didn’t see it coming” experiences. The first thing

• Irresistible: Reclaiming the New that Jesus Unleashed for the World
  • Hope in the Dark: Believing God Is Good When Life Is Not
  • Letters to the Church
  • Irresistible: Reclaiming the New that Jesus Unleashed for the World
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • Hero Maker: Five Essential Practices for Leaders to Multiply Leaders
  • I Declare War: Four Keys to Winning the Battle with Yourself
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • Learning to Speak God from Scratch: Why Sacred Words Are Vanishing-and How We Can Revive Them
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • The Life-Giving Leader: Learning to Lead from Your Truest Self
  • Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners,  Quitters, and Procrastinators)
  • The Imperfect Pastor: Discovering Joy in Our Limitations through a Daily Apprenticeship with Jesus
  • The Last Arrow: Save Nothing for the Next Life
  • The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God's Mercy
  • Developing Female Leaders: Navigate the Minefields and Release the Potential of Women in Your Church
“If you listen longer than most people listen, you’ll hear things most people never hear.” 0 likes
“Self-pity chisels into stone what discouragement whispers.” 0 likes