Start by marking “Corduroy Takes a Bow” as Want to Read:
Corduroy Takes a Bow

Corduroy Takes a Bow

Celebrate 50 years of America's favorite teddy bear with a brand-new, classically illustrated picture book by Academy Award winner Viola Davis.

Using her own experiences as a Tony Award-winning Broadway actress, Viola Davis writes the story of Corduroy and Lisa's first trip to the theater. As usual, Corduroy adventures off on his own, and readers follow his escapades as he
Published September 4th 2018 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Corduroy Takes a Bow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corduroy Takes a Bow

Start your review of Corduroy Takes a Bow
karen
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kiddiwinx
i am way too excited that this is happening.

Tara Strosnider
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Story of Corduroy and Lisa's first trip to the theater. As usual, Corduroy adventures off on his own, and readers follow his escapades as he explores all over--from the orchestra pit to the costumes rack to the props table and ultimately on to the stage itself, before being reunited with Lisa. A beautifully illustrated tale with a classic feel, sure to spark an interest in theater in children of any age.
Shanna
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Viola Davis has created a worthy and super sweet addition to the Corduroy series that is sure to be a favorite of the bear’s numerous fans.
David
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only thing keeping this book from perfection is the lack of an emotional punch towards the end. Although, the message shines through and it's one we could all do good not to forget.
Steven Copp
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! A great introduction to theatre for children!
Margaret Boling
11/3/2018 ~~ Enjoyable tale of going to live theater and the frustrations of finding a seat where you can see. Good intro to the various parts of the stage & orchestra. A few places where inexperience as a picture book author showed - spots where there were too many words and the reader could have gotten the story from the pictures.
Macie Williamson
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Corduroy Takes a Bow by Viola Davis is a story that is based on the original Corduroy book by Don Freeman. This is a story about a stuffed bear named Corduroy and his owner Lisa. They end up going to see a play at the theatre and Lisa drops Corduroy and loses him under her seat. Corduroy ends up going on adventure because he can't see the show well so he tries to get a better seat and ends up getting on stage with the actors. Lisa sees him on stage and after the show finds him and she makes him ...more
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

What a special opportunity I expect this is for Viola Davis! Don Freeman was one of the first picture book illustrators to create a book with African American protagonists, and now fifty years later, Davis, the first African American to win a Tony, and Emmy, and an Oscar, has returned to his characters with a new story. She takes Corduroy and Lisa to the theater—a live stage performance. Both are excited and in Lisa’s attempts to see above a
Tracey
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
When I came across this book at the library, I immediately picked it up since it was written by Viola Davis. She's one of my favorite actors and I was interested in seeing how'd be write a story with an iconic character.

I thought the story was cute. I couldn't find any lesson to be learned. It just follows Corduroy as he tries to find a better seat to watch the play from. He ends up on stage and taking a bow at the end. The art complimented the story well. I'd recommend this for children that
Rich Farrell
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Corduroy was one of my favorite books growing up. I had a stuffed Corduroy until I was much too old to have the stuffed animal, so I was excited when I saw there were additions to the series by Viola Davis. Unfortunately, this book just didn’t have the charm of Freeman’s Corduroy. I think if this was just about a kid’s stuffed animal being whisked on stage, it could’ve been really good on its own, but neither the story nor the illustrations do justice to the originals.
Shandra
I'm always a little dubious about series that continue on without their original author(s), but this one is definitely in the spirit of Corduroy, and the art is also in Don Freeman's style. Being a former theater nerd, I highly approve of a book set in a theater, too. :) Overall, a very sweet entry into the Corduroy universe - I think Viola Davis does Don Freeman proud.
Alex Lindsley
This book is nice, but it's very traditional. If that's what you want it's perfect, and it has a cute story. You could use it to teach children about the theater, about what goes on backstage vs. onstage, and what all the different roles are. You could ask them what performances, if any, they've been to, and could even work together to produce something as a class (or in smaller groups).
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Corduroy goes to the theater with Lisa and finds himself seeing many parts of the production.

It was cute. It was fun to have a classic character resurface. It is a nice introduction to bits of the theater world. Corduroy’s fans will like the book because of the nostalgia factor but there was nothing about this story that made it amazing.
Ariel Webb
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I love going to our city’s Children’s Theater so it was fun to discuss things like the orchestra, costumes, and set design as we read the book. With beautiful modern illustrations reminiscent of the classic storybooks, I would highly recommend this book to all Corduroy fans, young and old.
Jj
It was cute and sweet, because it's CORDUROY, of course! The story was fine, but not the special sort of thing I was hoping for. I like that Corduroy accompanies Lisa to the theater for a performance, but the antics that ensued just did not do much for me. It was fine but not especially remarkable in any way.

Thanks to Penguin Young Readers for the review copy.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Cute new Corduroy story! Corduroy goes to the theater with Lisa and her mother to see Mother Goose performed and ends up separated from them in his quest to get closer to the show. Jody Wheeler's charming illustrations remind me of classic Corduroy art. This was a sweet story that Corduroy fans will enjoy.
Melanie
Corduroy travels to the theater with Lisa and her mother. Corduroy can't see very well so he moves closer to the stage until he's on the stage. He becomes part of the play when he crawls into a basket swinging on a branch. After the show Lisa reconnects with him backstage.
Susan
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: storybook, 2019
I enjoyed the story and illustrations on this one. I would have given four stars but it really bothers me when authors use adjectives when they should be using adverbs, as the writer did repeatedly here - did no one edit this book? So, I bumped it down to three for the irritation factor.
Leslie
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun addition to the Corduroy series of books. I often wonder what Don Freeman would have thought about the continuation of his sweet original book. This one gives some nice insight to life behind the curtain at a theatre.
Chance Lee
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A charming story with beautiful illustrations. A fun introduction to the theatre, and an imaginative adventure for little Corduroy! I love how Lisa and Corduroy pretend to do theatre at the end of the book.
Jessie Bond
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Corduroy, Viola Davis, and theatre, so I think I was destined to love this book. Great for a kiddo going to the theatre for the first time, fans of Corduroy, or anyone, basically.
Suzann
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually liked this book better than the original Corduroy. It is a lovely little introduction to live theatre for children.
Anne Lutomia
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Viola creatively invites children to what goes on in theater through Corduroy the teddy bear.
Heather
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute--the new illustrator follows the spirit of Freeman's illustrations without copying--a worthy addition to the Corduroy story!
Pam
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely story about Corduroy and Lisa's first trip to a live theater. Corduroy wants to get a closer look and ends up as part of the show.
Davis keeps the characters true to the original.
Lynn
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hard t go wrong with a Corduroy story. This one could be used for pro-con about various situations as Corduroy tries to find the best place from which to see the show.
Debbie Tanner
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute addition to the Corduroy series-Corduroy goes to the theater. This would be a great introduction to a field trip to the theater.
Susan
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
[Placeholder]

Grade: B+
Kate
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool
True to the look of the original Corduroy and a good extension of that story.
Kathryn
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
How fun to have this story continued. I hope Viola Davis keeps writing them. This was just a sweet story and will be loved by all.

• Stick and Stone