Start by marking “The Proposal” as Want to Read:
The Proposal

The Proposal

(The Wedding Date #2)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  32,681 ratings  ·  4,292 reviews
The author of The Wedding Date serves up a novel about what happens when a public proposal doesn't turn into a happy ending, thanks to a woman who knows exactly how to make one on her own...

When someone asks you to spend your life with him, it shouldn't come as a surprise--or happen in front of 45,000 people.

When freelance writer Nikole Paterson goes to a Dodgers game with
Published October 30th 2018 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Proposal, please sign up.
Teri I finished listening to it because I wasted an Audible credit on it AND, just hoping that it would eventually have some redeeming quality. Never…moreI finished listening to it because I wasted an Audible credit on it AND, just hoping that it would eventually have some redeeming quality. Never happened. Not sure how it was selected for the Hello Sunshine Book Club...juvenile is the word that really comes to mind when asked to describe this book.(less)

·  32,681 ratings  ·  4,292 reviews

Melissa
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
From a seasoned romance reader’s perspective, it’s exciting to see the trend happening in the genre right now with the introduction of more diverse characters. Berkley Publishing Group seems to be at the forefront with books like The Kiss Quotient, Good Luck With That, The Wedding Date and Intercepted. Love happens all around us, encompassing people of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, colors and social status—so, why should fiction be any different?

The Proposal introduces readers to Nik, a b
Roxane
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Jasmine Guillory's debut novel, The Wedding Date, so I was really excited to get my hands on The Proposal which is an even stronger, more charming novel. Nik is at a Dodgers game with her boyfriend of five months, when he proposes to her on the Jumbotron, but it's all bad. He spells her name wrong. She turns him down. The thousands of people watching are judging her, and then the handsome doctor, Carlos Ibarra and his sister Angela, swoop in to save the day, hustling Nik out of ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Berkley Publishing Group
Shelves: from-publisher
This was such a delight to read! I adored the diversity, the humor, and the portrayal of some really relevant, yet tough topics. These characters were all brand new to me, but I’m really excited to go back to The Wedding Date and see how we meet a certain someone initially there. Definitely recommended!
Whitney Atkinson
This book's saving grace was its superb representation: a black main character, latino love interest, black lesbian side character, and fat Korean side character.

Otherwise, I wished I could love this book, but it just wasn't at all what I was hoping it to be. I'm mainly frustrated with this book because it wasn't pitched at ALL as a sequel or companion to Jasmine's first book, but literally half the book involves the two characters from her debut. I was really disappointed that I got 50% of the
Melanie

ARC provided by Berkley in exchange for an honest review.

“Deciding to spend your life together shouldn’t be a surprise”

I loved The Wedding Date earlier this year, and when I found out that this was going to star one of the side characters I knew I couldn’t resist putting in an ARC request. This was a joy to read, from the first page to the last. Both of Jasmine’s books have been so intelligently, beautifully, and masterfully crafted.

The Proposal is an ownvoices novel that follows a woman wh
Berit☀️✨
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Take me out to the ball game. Take me out to the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and propose to me???

Man bun... doesn’t know how to spell your name... proposes at a Dodgers game... 3 STRIKES YOUR OUT!
The opening scene to this book was epic, something I’ve always thought every time I’ve watched one of those scoreboard proposals.... what happens if the girl says, “ KNOW“? Well this book shows you exactly what happens to Nik after the very public proposal.... and can I just say, if this were to happen
Gabby
This was pretty disappointing. I completely agree with Whitney's review The only thing I really loved about this book was the diverse cast of characters. The female main character is a POC, there's a latino male love interest, and a korean side character, but that is all this book really has going for it.

The writing is terrible, it reads like a bad fanfiction. There are so many cliches in this story and both of the characters were annoying me. Even their inner thoughts were immature and read mor
Lacey
DNF'd at 65 percent.

Have you ever heard that story about the lion that was taxidermied by a man who had never seen a lion before? That's what this book feels like. As if the author knew what pieces made up a romance novel, but, having never seen or read one before, she was flummoxed as to how to put these pieces together. She wrote the kissing scenes and there are people saying "I love you," but beyond that, this doesn't feel like a romance. The final result is actually a terrifying facsimile th
megs_bookrack
**3.5-stars**

Awwww, that was so fun.

In The Wedding Date we meet Carlos Ibarra as the fun and supportive best friend of Dr. Drew Nichols. We really get to know him on the day that he helps Dr. Drew by picking Alexa up at the airport when Drew gets called into the hospital on an emergency. At the time I was reading that, I thought to myself, this Carlos seems like quite a catch!

In this novel, Carlos takes on the role of leading man and I wasn't wrong about him!

When Carlos watches the botched propo
Jessica
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher (Berkley Books) in exchange for an honest review.

Please note that I have not read The Wedding Date, so all the characters in this book were brand new to me. I also cannot speak to how this book compares with that book.

It took me forever to read this book because I just started law school, but this was such a fun romance!

First off, I loved the diversity! The main character is black. One of her friends is a plus sized Korean American. The other i
Larry H
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Freelance writer Nikole Paterson is spending a beautiful weekend day at a Dodgers game with Fisher, the guy she has been dating for the past few months, and a bunch of his friends.

"She didn't have anything against baseball, exactly. It was just that she'd rather be spending this beautiful spring day at home with her laptop and a glass of bourbon on the rocks than outside at a baseball stadium with a warm beer. But when the hot dude you were sleeping with wanted to go to a Dodgers game
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was was a lot of fun! The writing left some things to be desired, but the Los Angeles setting and the characters (Carlos 😍🤤) made up for that and I'm not mad about it. I definitely enjoyed this one A LOT more than the Wedding Date and I recommend checking this one out when it publishes next month!

I received an advance copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Warda
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Proposal' was soooo much fun to read!
As soon as I began reading thew first few pages, I was enjoying the hell out of it.
As per the title, it starts off with a proposal. A disastrous proposal at that. The type where it has not been thought through or even spoken about. Why do people even do this?! And they're alleged grown ups as well.

Luckily, our black main character, Nik (which her casual boyfriend spells as Nic when he proposed. Stupid.) is rescued by Carlos, who is Latino and who becomes
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
3.5 fun stars to The Proposal! ⚾ ⚾ ⚾.5

Nikole is dating an actor, and they are on a date like any other with his buddies tagging along, except this time they are a Dodgers game. In front of a stadium filled with cheering fans, he proposes after only five months together.

And Nikole wants and needs to say no. In front of everyone.

Thank goodness for Carlos Ibarra who whisks her away from the cameras and supports her when she takes a few hits on social media . Carlos becomes Nik’s “just for fun” reb
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet, sizzling, and modern—The Proposal is a sure-fire hit in the women’s fiction and romance worlds this year! It starts with a meet-cute, as many good love stories do. Only, is it still a meet-cute if our protagonist meets her beau by being horrifyingly and publicly embarrassed by her current love interest??? More like a meet-nightmare! From the opening chapter, you will want to know more about Nik and what happens to her after the nightmare of all nightmare dates!

About the Book

Writer and fem
Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book took me a long time to read - not because it was bad, but because it was so sweet and fluffy that I couldn't really stomach finishing it all in a single session. THE PROPOSAL would nearly be saccharine if not for the fact that it tackles some pretty relevant issues for women and features a very large and diverse cast of relatable characters with relatable problems. Reading it kind of made me feel like I was experiencing a book wri
Sh3lly
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC generously provided by Berkley Jove imprint.

(Edit:Apparently the release date has changed from September 4, 2018 to October 30, 2018. Interesting.)

Even though this book features a couple characters from The Wedding Date, it can easily be read as a stand-alone. This is not a sequel; it is a self-contained romance story between an independent, confident journalist, and an independent, confident doctor. Diversity is extremely well represented. What I liked about this:

The heroine drinks alcohol
Stacee
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had loved Carlos in The Wedding Date and was thrilled to see that he was getting his own story, so when I got The invite to read this one, I couldn’t wait to get to it.

I love love loved Nik. She’s sarcastic and witty and smart af. Her friends Dana and Courtney were fun and I adored the scenes with the three of them together. Of course I was familiar with Carlos and he didn’t disappoint. He’s supportive and a complete marshmallow. I was so happy to see Alexa and Drew and I’m 1000% here for mor
Joce (squibblesreads)
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored this companion novel to The Wedding Date. We get to know Carlos, who I was THIRSTING to become more well acquainted with, who saves Nik from a mortifying public proposal gone wrong from her very short-term boyfriend. Apart from the slow-burn romance done well, I loved how it put bigger topics in perspective, such as discussing marriage before suddenly popping a proposal.

Carlos also discusses his identity as a Latinx American man, and Nik discusses how, after the proposal went viral, sh
Kendall
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory is a sweet, charming, and fun romantic novel.

This was my first read by this author and definitely won't be my last! This was a very cute plot.... Nik had her boyfriend propose to her at a baseball game in front of everyone... and let's not forget to add that she turns him down in front of the entire world. Talk about embarrassment!!! This adds the perfect scene for an entertaining romance with a hint of sassy spice :).

What I enjoyed about this book was the diver
The Proposal features two likable lead characters that meet under incredibly awkward but memorable circumstances. This new-found acquaintanceship leads to more opportunities to connect until a no-strings-attached romance blooms. Each have past and present circumstances that make this type of non-relationship ideal, and although the ending may be predictable, this romance trope is a winner for a reason: the journey to the last page is typically filled with plenty of sexy fun.

The Proposal hits the
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

This book started out strong and halfway through completely fizzled out for me. I really enjoyed this author's debut book The Wedding Date, and at first I thought this one was similar, but by the end it wasn't even in the same ballpark (pun intended).

I love that Berkley is publishing more work by authors of color and books with characters who are persons of color, so I was glad to see this book. I hope Berkley continues to publish books like these because they are needed. The story in
Trina (Between Chapters)
Really liked this! Carlos was a more enjoyable character for me than Drew (the first book's lead) was. There were great discussions about feminism, expectations of women of color, and there was a short scene with a side character who talked about a past abusive relationship that I loved.

You do NOT need to have read The Wedding Date to read this, but those characters are mentioned and make an appearance. They seemed to only be included for fans of the first book but did not impact the plot of th
Katie B
This might not have been the perfect romance read I was looking for but there were a couple of things I did enjoy. First of all, I always appreciate when a book has a diverse cast of characters. I also really liked the premise of the book which involves a woman at a Dodgers game with her boyfriend and he surprises her with a wedding proposal with everyone in the stadium watching on the Jumbotron. It was very easy to relate to her feeling of horror as I would have hated it if my husband had propo ...more
Corina
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse-cast, sweet

This is my first book by Jasmine Guillory. I heard only great things about her first novel The Wedding Date and was delighted when I was able to pick up her latest book The Proposal.

The Proposal was a quick and easy read.

It was the perfect read for a day at the beach or sitting bundled up on the couch on a rainy day. The novel was sweet and fluffy, a cute little romance with a fun supporting cast. The heroine’s group of girlfriends were hilarious and reminded me of the girls of Sex in t
Ali (the bandar blog)
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Let's sum up this review right now: I regret reading The Proposal. This book annoyed me in so many ways. I won't list them all. Instead, I'll just compare this book to a Hallmark movie.

1. It starts off clear enough. Just like all Hallmark Movies, I understood exactly what I was in for. This was going to be a light-hearted and low-stress read.

2. The book felt really low-budget. Again, just like every Hallmark movie (How cheap can we make this and still get the point across?). I mean, couldn't th
Amy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was such an adorable read, I really liked the idea of a woman who isn’t desperately waiting for her boyfriend to propose and Nik most definitely was not prepared to have to turn down her boyfriends proposal in front of the whole world. I can’t think of anything more awkward and embarrassing but it set the stage for a super entertaining and charming read that I breezed through.

One of the strongest aspects to this was how incredibly diverse it was which is always so nice to see! It’s set in L
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jasmine Guillory Fans, Romance
4.5 When Oh, So Bad Turns Into Oh, So Great Stars
* * * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
We have all been there...That situation where we wish the ground would open up and suck you in...only so that you would not be the center of attention and have everyone looking at you. There can be any number of reasons for that type of feeling...a small gathering of friends and something is said that causes an uproar...or your business power point is going along great and then that weird slide pops up making no sense...

O
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
❤4 stars ❤

This was an adorable, lighthearted, fun and sweet read.I adored Nik and Carlos.

description

I could easily connect with them.The beginning was great and I was immediately hooked to the story.

This is an easy and fast paced read and if you have read The Wedding Date you are going to love this one!

Megan Johnson
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
To be honest with you, I'm amazed I finished this book. Romcom isn't really something I hold to a high standard but still, make the dialogue flow at least somewhat naturally. That and the overbearing focus on there being a multicultural mix of characters just made everything feel so forced.

Anyways, if this is your thing then absolutely give it a go but it really wasn't for me.
Reese's Book Club...: The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory 58 1276 Jul 11, 2019 08:59PM
SBTB Goodreads Group: March 2019 Read-Along: The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory 12 64 Apr 02, 2019 09:36AM
Play Book Tag: The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory -- 3.5 stars 4 13 Mar 27, 2019 06:58AM
Play Book Tag: The Proposal - Jasmine Guillory - 3 stars 2 13 Mar 11, 2019 05:20PM
Reese's Book Club...: Author Q&A 23 493 Mar 01, 2019 06:37PM
Reese's Book Club...: A Piece of Cupcake! 19 569 Feb 24, 2019 07:27PM

• Hurts to Love You (Forbidden Hearts, #3)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)
  • Fumbled (Playbook, #2)
  • Falling for Trouble (Librarians in Love #2)
  • I'm Doin' Me
  • I Ain't Me No More (Always Diva, #1)
  • Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1)
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Dr. Feelgood
  • Taking the Heat (Jackson: Girls' Night Out, #3)
  • The Accidental Diva
  • Pretty Face (London Celebrities, #2)
  • The Spa
  • It Takes Two (Bridesmaids Behaving Badly #2)
  • The First Time at Firelight Falls (Hellcat Canyon, #4)
  • Mary B. Morrison Bundle: Soulmates Dissipate / Never Again Once More / Darius Jones (Soulmates Dissipate, #1-2, 8)
Jasmine Guillory is a graduate of Wellesley College and Stanford Law School. She is a Bay Area native who has towering stacks of books in her living room, a cake recipe for every occasion, and upwards of 50 lipsticks.

The Wedding Date (4 books)
  • The Wedding Date
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Royal Holiday
“I’ve spent so long being afraid of love, because the last time I was in love, the man I loved only loved one part of me, but not all of me, and I thought love meant having to sacrifice a part of yourself. But then I was with you, and you loved every part of me, even the parts I don’t like. And that scared me more, because I thought there must be some trick and that I couldn’t let myself believe it or I’d fall into the trap. But finally I realized it wasn’t a trap.” 5 likes
“I get trying to make a big romantic gesture and all, and wanting a surprise, but . . .” “Deciding to spend your life together shouldn’t be a surprise,” Angela said. “It should be something the two of you talk about first!” 1 likes