Start by marking “A Kingdom of Exiles (Outcast #1)” as Want to Read:
A Kingdom of Exiles (Outcast #1)

A Kingdom of Exiles

(Outcast)

The brightest of stars are always born on the darkest of nights.

Serena Smith is unusual.

Growing up in a backwoods village, her life is lonely and dull. Then, on her eighteenth birthday, she's gifted a magical heirloom only to be snatched by fae and condemned to a lifetime in chains.

Published December 17th 2017 by Night Owl Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Kingdom of Exiles, please sign up.
S.B. Nova Thanks for your question Charlotte. I'm working on the sequel now ... Can't wait to share cover art etc with y'all.

As for a release date, right now, I…more

As for a release date, right now, I'm looking at the end of this year. Around December. But I'm working hard, and I'll publish as soon as I think it's worthy of the readers. :)

Much love--
Nova(less)

Start your review of A Kingdom of Exiles (Outcast #1)
Bibi
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
*stares impassively at Serena*
*gives her three consecutive girly slaps*

All I can say is Lord save us from useless heroines, and the dreaded love-quadrangle. *deep sigh*
 Simply Sam ツ
DNF @ 53%.

I'm doing 2 things that I don't normally do: rating a dnf AND giving a 1-star review. I really don't like doing either of those things, but there are times that I must make an exception. This is one of those cases as this book made me stabby.

Man, there are so many reasons why, but the biggest reason has to be Serena, the useless human. She's really the worst, but also the best, but really the worst. I have absolutely no idea why these people (basically everyone she meets in fairyland)
Melanie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Must read

What started off as a typical Cinderella story quickly turned into a wonderful fantasy read perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas
Sylvia Mercedes
Well, that was exciting, with lots of interesting character-dynamics, gorgeous writing, and great world-building!
Kate (beautifulbookland)
I saw the similarities to Sarah J Maas’s books when I first started A Kingdom of Exiles, but I thought I could overlook them. I put aside the little things like the MC being called Serena, and being stolen away by a fae, but then it kinda got ridiculous.

Right so here is a list of the similarities between SJM’s books and this one (from the top of my head):

1. Mating bonds
2. Having a bond that allows the MC to speak mind-to-mind with her bonded
3. Solar Courts
4. The humans and fae being separate
Ann (annreads)
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*Reread March 2019*

“Because he understood what it was to be a lost soul in the world. A fallen star, exiled from home.”

I decided to give this one a reread in preparation for the next book and omg, I think I adored it even more than the first time! I'm completely in love with the story and the characters, I cannot wait to read more! Definitely give this one a go, you won't regret it!

————————————————————————
*First read March 2018*

“When I saw you … dying, it was … I never thought I’d feel fear like
Petra Špirhanzlová
Ok where to start. I think I have seen this before. Mortal kidnapped to the fay lands. Hot fay warriors with wings. Mates. Hardcore elimination competition. Mortal turning into fay. Long lost princess... Author is clearly a big fan of SJ Maas. Anyway I am not complaining, I will read the next book.
FictionNoChaser
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall Rating: 2 stars
Heroine: Homegirl takes love at first sight to a whole new level
Dudes: Holy love quadrangle batman!
Steaminess: Why do authors think caves are an aphrodisiac?
Long Windedness: Reading War & Peace was easier than this

I don’t like writing negative reviews but I mistakenly read this book due to the high Goodreads ratings and rave reviews and feel like the book world needs an alternative perspective so readers don’t get hoodwinked like I did. My whole experience with Kin
H.A. LYNN
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic Fae Fantasy! I was pleasantly surprised at the turn this story took. I read the first two chapters when I was asked to beta read, so I knew I’d be hooked when I picked up the published copy. But, I had no idea what kind of action-packed adventure I was getting myself into. Just when I thought things couldn’t get worse, they did. When I thought the characters would get a break, the stakes rose, keeping me enthralled.

S.B. Nova did a brilliant job of weaving in characters, twists, and det
Corinne
The cover is lovely.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
First read of 2019!

This was so good! I’ve seen this compared to A Court of Thorns and Roses, but honestly - despite some similarities in plot, it was definitely something different altogether too. At almost 600 pages, I was very wary of the length, especially for a book from an indie author. However, it kept me hooked the whole way through. I was loving this so much, I even purchased the audiobook so I could listen to it while I couldn’t sit and read.

A Kingdom of Exiles follows Serena, a young h
Coco.V
Dec 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (12/15/2018)!💝

Blurb:
The brightest of stars are always born on the darkest of nights.

Serena Smith is unusual.

Dragged to Aldar, a fae kingdom ruled by a tyrant witch, Serena discovers a forbidden love, and meets fellow outcasts, each with their own dark secrets.

As the lives of warri
Christine
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fae
The first thing I am going to do the moment I return to my country, is to read this.

I am not really good at making reviews and pardon my english for it is not my first language.

I am the type of person who has a per chapter method of reading. Reading this made my eyes hurt a lot for majority of the chapters have 30+ pages.

In my opinion, there are a lot of scenarios and circumstances wherein the author can explain using 3-5 sentences and not a whole lot of dialogue. I was really bored throughout
Stephanie Osborne
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I don’t give very many 5-star reviews, but this book and this author are something very special. If you are a fan of Sarah J Maas, Lesley Livingston, Cassandra Clare or Sabaa Tahir, you will thoroughly enjoy this work. For a relatively newly published author, her writing is breathtaking. I’m not sure I’ve ever been so entranced just by the description of fireflies. But while it is beautifully written, none of it it gratuitous or overdone to the point of taking away from the plot. If you read the ...more
AttWaq
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Wow this was so much better than I had expected. Although, the cover had appealed me even before I downloaded it, I decided not to get my hopes up too high, well cuz' you know "Never judge a book by its cover."

How the hell did they not guess the betrayal beforehand???

I definitely liked Frazer and Adrianna's relationship the most... Frazer was probably my fav character. I really really wish he had been Serena's mate.
The character development in this book is amazing. The background stori
Jessica
Jun 10, 2020 marked it as to-read
Putting this shitshow on hold for now. I want to keep reading. I want this to get better.

But wtf is going on anymore 😂😂😭
Aasheea
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
It needed to be, like, half the size it is.
MichelleG
A thoroughly enjoyable dystopian fantasy

This is one of the best dystopian fantasy books I’ve read in a very long while. If you’re a fan of Sarah J. Maas’ series Throne of Glass then you’ll really enjoy this book.
Rachel Beamin'
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Hmmmm….
It was a very intriguing story, with a semi-different plot.
An MC who was lied to her whole life, who lost her mother at a young age and raised by her father and a tyrant step mother. Due to Serena’s oddities and some other circumstances she was outcast by her towns people.
She was later found by a Fae hunter and so forth the story goes.
This story toes the line between teen and young adult. With the most vulgar thing being the word ‘rutting’ – which is used almost every other sentence.
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
“They won’t tell you fairy tales of how girls can be dangerous and still win. They will only tell you stories where girls are sweet and kind and reject all sin. I guess to them it’s a terrifying thought, a red riding hood who knew exactly what she was doing when she invited the wild in.”

I'm upping my rating to four stars.

Not because I can now overlook some of it's problems: a poorly done teacher student relationship from nowhere, minor pacing problems, and Serena's inability to forgive a fae
Zoe Mei
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
If you want to read a much less compelling, less interesting version of Sarah J. Maas — with a weird Cinderella beginning that doesn’t factor into the story much at all — then this is the book for you!

Here are just a few things that could be generously described as “mirroring” Maas:

- ~sensitive~ fae bat wings
- purrrring (in this book, literally!)
- fae have super physical capabilities and sharp teeth and animalistic instincts and prettier faces and are female/male, not women/men because technical
Deanna
5 stars! WOW! I LOVED this book! You can tell that this series is going to be beautifully complex. I re-discovered my love for fantasy/romance after reading A Court of Thorns and Roses, and have found myself chasing that same high. Well, I've found my fix in this book. While I've noticed other reviewers thought these books were too similar, I actually found it to be distinct on its own. Where ACOTAR starts off with a Beauty and the Beast start, this one takes the Cinderalla track. There are para ...more
Emeline
S.B. Nova you are a wonderful author !
You don't get bored one second in this book, there's always a plot twist or action leaving you with a mouth hanging wide open.

This book is about Serena, a human who lives in the human realm. The beginning made me think of cinderella with the mean mother outlaw and all -> But I swear it's the only thing that look alike between the two, this is not a cinderella story, it's a fae one. Indeed, after a plot twist and awful events, Serena finds herself in the fae
Carlie Coligan
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first I was going to hold out on reading this, because I had a feeling I was going to love it and I'm super impatient when it comes to waiting for sequels. Turns out I was right, read it in one sitting because I COULD NOT put this book down. S.B. Nova is the first author that has gotten me just as invested in the characters and the story as Sara J Maas. Serena is a lovable and badass main character, and I ended up loving her squad just as much as her. The pacing of the story is great, and I c ...more
Lindsey
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good read

This book was better than I thought it would be. It’s sort of on the borderline between YA/NA. In the beginning, it was hard to get a feel for where the author was going with the story, but once you grasp the plot, it’s really hard to put down. Lots of action with only a few lulls. My only complaint is that I have a feeling it’s going to take a while for the next installment.
Tissy
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Writing was ok but not captivating which is why I got bored and couldn't continue. Although fantasy is not my favourite genre when it's done right (Kristin Cashore, Erika Johansen, Tamora Pierce, Leigh Bardugo etc) I absolutely love it. This book and its writing just didn't hold the same vibrancy so DNF.
E! 🖤
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to E! 🖤 by: Virginia McKenzie
So far is the best book I've read this year, soon I will post my review ^^
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
DNF at 50% - I enjoyed this at first but then I just lost interest and I didn't really like where the story was going. It's a shame as it started so well : (

Also as other reviewers have said its very similar to the writing of Sarah j maas but not nearly as good so I couldn't help but compare it.
L.R.W. Lee
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book felt underdeveloped in many ways. We begin with one world and life there for the heroine, It felt like The Scarlet Letter. It was so predictable that she would lose the trial. She had to or there would be no rest of the story. But then there is this insta-love thing that happens with her captor. If he had done what he did, to me, there's no way I would have forgiven him let alone befriended him. So, this was another predictable transition to get the heroine into the next situation, etc ...more
A. Hoyle
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“There’s everything to find, but you need to learn to see it; otherwise, no matter how many times your friends praise you, or how many lovers show you affection …” Green eyes fluttered to my lip. I forgot my own name. “… you’ll never believe them. And all the compliments in the world won’t mean a damned thing.”

A Kingdom of Exiles has me pining for the release of the next book in this series! S.B. Nova managed to write a book that made me care for the secondary characters just as much (had to ca

• Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #1)
  • Reign of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #2)
  • Two Princes of Summer (Whims of Fae, #1)
  • Black Crown (The Darkest Drae Book 3)
  • Shadow Wings (The Darkest Drae, #2)
  • War of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles #3)
  • Prisoner of Darkness (Whims of Fae, #2)
  • Rebel's Blade (The Aermian Feuds, #1)
  • Whims of Fate (Whims of Fae, #3)
  • Blood Oath (Darkest Drae, #1)
  • A Gift of Poison (The Kingmakers' War, #1)
  • A Dark Eternity (Whims of Fae, #4)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Fantasy of Frost (The Tainted Accords, #1)
  • Enemy's Queen (The Aermian Feuds, #3)
  • A Bed of Blades (The Kingmakers' War, #2)
  • Fantasy of Flight (The Tainted Accords, #2)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes, #2)
S.B Nova was born in the south of England, but after the age of six, grew up in the wilds of the north, where she was home educated and developed a passion for books. After graduating from Warwick University, she found herself at a crossroads. She chose to follow her heart and start writing. This culminated in her debut novel, Draken and the creation of the Southern Fire series. A Kingdom of Exile ...more

Outcast (2 books)
  • A Kingdom of Nomads (Outcast, #2)