Start by marking “They Do It With Mirrors” as Want to Read:
They Do It With Mirrors

They Do It With Mirrors (Miss Marple #6)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  17,795 Ratings  ·  817 Reviews

Responding to a friend's urgent invitation, Miss Jane Marple arrives at her sprawling estate. To Marple's surprise, it's been turned into a home for delinquent boys-and a handful of greedy relatives. In this group, murder comes as no surprise.

So few authors are producing the pure puzzle-novel, and no one does it better than Christie. (The New York Times)
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by AudioGO (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about They Do It With Mirrors, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) No. This was written long before the novel series behemoths took over cosy fiction in the 1980s. Each Christie novel is a stand-alone, though…moreNo. This was written long before the novel series behemoths took over cosy fiction in the 1980s. Each Christie novel is a stand-alone, though characters may reappear.(less)

Susan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I was certain that I had read all of the Miss Marple novels, I really cannot recall having read this before. This novel sees Miss Marple meeting up with an old friend. Ruth Van Rydock and her sister, Carrie Louise, knew Jane Marple as a young girl, when they were visiting Florence. Now Ruth is returning to America, but she confesses that she is concerned about her sister. Carrie Louise, like Ruth, has been married several times. Her latest husband is Lewis Serrocold, an idealist who run ...more
Jason Koivu
This is a very strong 3 stars as I quite enjoyed this Agatha Christie quickie!

Having said that, They Do It with Mirrors reads like a Christie-by-numbers novel, written by rote like a facsimile of previous work with just a few of the words rearranged. The characters, the setting, the plot and the outcome, it's all been done before.

I haven't read too many Miss Marple's. The old dear and the settings/situations she's placed in are quite quaint and not entirely my cup of tea. Having said that, I wo
Mohammed Orabi
ومع تقديم مشروع تخرجي أمس وانتهاء فترة الحياة الجامعية الى غير رجعة اعتقد ان البدء فى التعرف على اسلوب كاتب جديد سيكون خيار مناسب للغاية ، تاخرت تلك التجربة كثيرا ولكن حسنا لابأس ها قد حان الوقت للتعرف على سيدة الجريمة والالغاز
بسم الله نبدء :)

حسنا انتهيت منها في اقل من يومين .
ربما يكفي اسم الكاتبة وعنوان الرواية بان يجعلا القاري يتوقع طبع ونوعية الرواية التي توجد أمامه ولكن من اراد نبذة مختصرة عنها فأحداثها تدور عن وقوع جريمة قتل في أحد المنازل بمدينة تدعي ستوني جيتس وبالتالى يصبح كل من يقيم في
Carol.
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Miss Marple, Christie completionists
Shelves: female-lead, mystery
Sure, they do it with mirrors. Apparently in 1952, they could even do it by telephone. By which I refer to phoning it in, because this isn’t Christie at her best. It isn’t even Marple at her best. Still, They Do It with Mirrors is a diverting read, a quick Christie satisfier.

We begin with Miss Marple enjoying a few moments with a dear friend from boarding school days. Ruth now lives in America, but her sister lives in England, and after visiting her, Ruth has a suspicion something isn’t right–so
Veronique
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2017
“We’re all mad, dear lady,” he said as he ushered her in through the door. “That’s the secret of existence. We’re all a little mad.”

Another very good murder mystery. This one was perhaps a little light on the plot but on the other hand focused a lot more on the characters and their motivations. It also felt very much like theatre, which in light of the context made perfect sense. We have our cast of suspects all gathered in one setting, an old English family country home, and more secrets stashe
Maria Gad
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
عزيزى القارىء, عندما تقرا عدة روايات او كتب مخيبة للأمال و تصاب بحالة من الاحباط -تماما كما حدث معى-لن ينتشلك من يأسك الا رواية من روايات أجاثا كريستى
مهما كان تقدم سنك و مهما كانت خبراتك فى الحياة, سيتم خداعك امام عينك بحيل بسيطة و ساذجة
الحبكة أكثر من رائعة
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Book 11 for the Miss Marple challenge. Miss Marple finds herself in a very different setting, a juvenile delinquents home/college when she is asked by old friend Ruth Van Rydock to look into the situation of her sister Carrie Louise. Carrie Louise, also Miss Marple’s friend from her school days in Italy, lives in an old Victorian mansion and her husband Lewis Serrocold runs a centre for juveniles focusing on rehabilitation. Carrie Louise has been married twice before and her relations, children, ...more
Lotte
* 3.5/5 stars! (I listened to this on audiobook.)
Simona Bartolotta
2.5

A thing about Christie's Miss Marple novels that I don't like is that some of them (though not many, fortunately) give off this impression of laziness, which I found particularly unpleasant as I usually end not knowing what to make of them. This is precisely what happened with They Do It With Mirrors. I found it lazy, and I was disappointed. Not one of Christie's best.
Nandakishore Varma
The title is the only clue to the mystery you need - if you read it correctly, that is.

"They do it with mirrors" is what magicians do, figuratively speaking - misdirection. This is what murderers do, too.

And mystery writers.
Lata
Ms. Marple spends some time with an old friend of hers, and stumbles on a murder. There wasn't a lot of extraneous stuff going on in this story (unlike Nemesis) and you get a sense of the various characters around Ms. Marple's friend. In retrospect, I realized that Christie had laid out some pretty big clues pointing to the baddie.
Poonam
This is the 1st book of agatha christie where I was able to guess the culprit from the start. Only the why of the crime was a surprise.
Lisa
An exciting and absorbing Miss Marple mystery!

Miss Marple is tipped off that an old friend might be in trouble...in fact she may be being poisoned. It's time for a visit to the country! (Cue huge country house in fog and everyone is bonkers yeah!)
But then someone gets shot and Miss Marple has to unravel all the clues through the smoke and mirrors.

Highly recommended for cosy mystery fans everywhere.
Ashley
I think I've come to the conclusion that I prefer Poirot books to Marple ones, but this one started off really well! One of the reasons I usually like Poirot better is that he's usually more involved in the narrative. Miss Marple usually sidles in at the last moment and mostly does her work off page. But here, she was present from page one. Unfortunately, I just lost my motivation about halfway through as the mystery itself didn't really hold my attention.

Miss Marple's childhood friend Ruth Van
Fatima
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
دومین کتابی بود که از آگاتا کریستی میخوندم و حتی از "جسدی در کتابخانه" هم پیچیده تر بود و اینبار احساس میکردم که تعداد کاراکتر هاش بیشتر از کتاب قبلی هست و یکم گیج میشدم ولی این پیچیدگی اش و اینکه تا لحظات آخر نمیتونستم حدس بزنم مغز متفکر قتل های داستان کیه هم برای خودش واقعا هیجان انگیز بود و میشه گفت شیفته ی این سبک از کتاب ها شدم و دوست دارم کتاب های دیگه ی این نویسنده رو هم بخونم ...
Kavita
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, mystery
This is one of my least favourite Marples. An old school friend of Miss Marple (Ruth) shows up on one of her flying trips from the US and asks our detective to see what's wrong with her sister's family. The three of them had grown up together and were quite close. Ruth was able to detect something was wrong but could not put her finger on it. She obviously had more faith in her old friend to get things sorted. Miss Marple agreed to help out and planned a visit to her other old friend, Carrie Lou ...more
Marija Simić
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I spoiled this book by watching serie Miss Marple, so I already knew the murder, and basically almost the entire story (but there were some differences in book, that were changed in serie, small ones), and the entire magic was gone!
But, anyway, I loved that character Edgar Lawson, because he was supposed to be a schizophrenic. However, my absolute favourite was Walter Hudd! This somewhat comes from the magnificent character in the serie (played by Elliot Cowan - note the coffee sc
Adrian
A book I just don't remember reading and another great example of Miss Marple's expertise.

Again a great story by Agatha Christie, with some wonderful characters and an intricate plot that I certainly never guessed.
Well worth reading if one has never read a Miss Marple before. Lets be honest they have all been good so far, and only 3 to go, (sad face).
Stephanie Anze
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"That's the secret of existance. We're all a little mad."

Miss Jane Marple goes to visit her childhood friend Carrie Louise at the juvenile reform house she runs with her husband. Stonygates is a grand and spacious Victorian mansion that functions as the family home as well. Upon arrival Miss Marple is introduced to the rest of the family, staff and some of the residents. After dinner one night, one of Stonygates residents points a gun at Lewis Serrocold, Carrie's husband, and fires but its anoth
Ririn
How ironic. When I have finally settled with myself that it's quite a useless thing to secondguess Agatha Christie's mysteries, it does come as a big surprised that I did guess it right this time. Even though so many smokescreens were thrown in the way, I just can't shake off my suspicion of the suspect.

Does this means that I am getting better at reading the clues? ;-)
فاطمة عبد الرحمن
لأول مرة أكتشف القاتل منذ وقوع الجريمة، هل لأن القاتل دوما هو أبعد من يكون من ساحة الإتهام أم أن الحبكة لم تكن كما يبدو، لا أدري ولكني لم أنبهر هنا..
Ana Vicente
I generally love Agatha Christie, and I tend to read her books in one sitting, but that didn't happen with this one.

It's a Marple novel, and I generally do prefer other detectives (it just frustrates me that part of the solution is based on those comparisons with someone on St. Mary Mead), but I don't think that's enough to explain why this book failed to captivate me the way others have.

I think part of it was that I just didn't care about the characters all that much. I especially didn't care a
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is only the sixth Miss Marple that Agatha Christie wrote, like many of the early ones it is perhaps a little less polished, a little more exploitative than they became after Christie's characters and writing style were more set.

Personally I like the earlier ones better and this was a great example of that early writing, with an English manor house, two generations and their different view points, the perspicuity of Miss Marple and the gimmick - that is kind of predicted by the title.
Anastasia ^^
Λατρεύω της Μις Μάρπλ... το διάβασα πολύ γρήγορα αλλά είχα καταλάβει ποιος ήταν ο/η δολοφόνος... αλλά όχι το κίνητρο του/της :)
Elena
While I have read dozens of books with Hercule Poirot, I haven't read that many with Miss Marple, so I'm trying to remedy that. I do like her: the scenes where everyone assumes she is a quiet and harmless old lady are always very funny.
They Do It With Mirrors is a short and fun mystery where, as usual, the solution and the murderer are definitely shocking and quite impossible to guess. Actually, I did have my suspicions about who did it, and I was right, but I only had vague ideas. The solution
Christine Talat
أول رواية أقراها لآجاثا كريستى
النهاية خيبت آمالى كانت سريعة وغير مفهومة الدوافع
Luffy
This was so very nearly a perfect score. But I found the fate of the criminal and his accomplice too much of an anticlimax. Having said that, this book was an absolute pleasure to read. The characters are memorable. Miss Jane Marple appears in it a lot. We know something new about her youth, but it's not much to go with. Carrie Louise and Ruth could have been temporary props that weren't significant in Miss Marple's past.

There was a certain fluidity in the narrative that I didn't find in Marple
Leslie
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed this entry in the Miss Marple series, it was just "good" not great as some of Christie's are. Given Miss Marple's oft pronounced maxim of never believe anything anyone says without confirmation, she seemed (view spoiler).

Joan Hickson's narration was unfortunately spoiled for me by the poor shape of the CDs I borrowed from the library. Perhaps if that hadn't been the case, I might have gone up to 4
Mathangi

Though I was a bit apprehensive to pick up this book as it is the 6th in a series, I got to say I didn't really have trouble following save for some St Mary Mead references here and there.

This was my first Miss Marple story and it certainly wouldn't be the last. But I think I would need some time to get used to the sweet old Miss Marple. She's a detective in the most unconventional sense possible, she can be easily dismissed as a silly old lady, and Miss Jane Marple is smart enough to use tha

Jesus Ismael
I've recently finished this Marple story and I certainly have mixed feelings.
While what I would call the "first part", that is, until the main murder is committed, is long and tedious, the second one moves on faster and the end is really fast paced. I found this aspect reflected in the chapters; being long the first ones and becoming shorter approaching the end. In this sense, I believe that this tale could be told in a fewer pages or even maybe a short story.
On the other hand, there are some as
Agatha Christie L...: April 2015 - They Do It with Mirrors 20 74 Jun 28, 2016 01:52PM
Goodreads Librari...: Correct info 2 15 Mar 11, 2016 11:14PM
  • Singing in the Shrouds (Roderick Alleyn, #20)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)
  • The Mystery of a Butcher's Shop (Mrs. Bradley, #2)

More about Agatha Christie

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fight Dirty (Renegade Justice, #1)
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Professor (McMurtrie and Drake Legal Thrillers, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99