Start by marking “Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)

Back Home Again

(Tales from Grace Chapel Inn #1)

Whan Daniel Howard, minister of Grace Chapel, passes away, his three daughters each inherits a share of his run-down Victorian house. The squabbling begins - but then comes a brilliant solution to their dilemma.
Hardcover, Large Print, 359 pages
Published July 12th 2005 by Thorndike Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Back Home Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back Home Again

Start your review of Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
Loraine
In a charming village of Acorn Hill in rural Pennsylvania, three sisters, Louise a widow, Jane a divorcee, and Alice a spinster, all return home upon the death of their father to learn he has left their huge, old Victorian house to the three of them jointly. None of them are happy with where they are in life; so when Alice suggests that they turn the house into a B & B, they all jump in feet first.

A touch of family memories, a bit of relationship hiccoughs, a smidgen of builder's mayhem and
Deanne Patterson
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-copy
Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
by Melody Carlson

I have read other books in the Tales from Grace Chapel Inn series.
This was book 1 in the series. Unfortunately I just didn't make a connection with the characters in this book like I did in the later books. It's a good thing I hadn't read this book first or I may not have read more in this series.
Carol Preston
If you're mad about heritage restoration and interior decorating you'll probably love this story of three sisters come back together in their senior years to renovate their childhood home and turn it into an inn. Old sibling rivalries re-emerge and are dealt with. There are some ups and downs and a few minor conflicts, but there was not enough drama or challenge to really move me or keep me more than minimally engaged. It was a sweet story with a nice ending, but very light.
Pamela
"Sometimes the best part of being part of a family was the ability to forgive and forget."

Simply sweet and endearing, much like Melody Carlson's Christmas novels and novellas I've grown to enjoy. The perfect sort of counterbalancing story to lift one's spirit, especially in the wake of heavier, more solemn themed tomes.

The dynamics between the three diverse Howard sisters (Alice, Jane, and Louise) felt honest and sincere. They each had unique talents and tastes, strong work ethics, and a love
Julie  Durnell
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
A very light read but the biblical lessons learned as the three sisters reunite and renovate their mother's family home are wonderful! The town's cast of characters are so well drawn from a small town-life, quite humorous really.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
I found this a very light cozy read. It's christian fiction but very lightly woven in not in your face. It's the first book in the Tales From Grace Chapel Inn. I've heard you can read any of the books in the series out-of-order except the first one. You need to know how the three sisters come together again and start the Inn before you can read about their various adventures. If you get stuck on the series, it's got 32 books in the series. Each book is written by one only author, but the series ...more
Sherry Jolly
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was simple, sweet, and comforting. Perfect to read with a warm mug of cocoa, your favorite throw, and a comfie chair!

The characters had life-like qualities (no one was perfect), real-life problems and situations, while still having a deep foundation of God, family, and community.

Joyce (Chloe)
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. Not her usual YA Christian which I also like to read. There are 25 books in this Tales From Grace Chapel Inn series (not all Kindle), and I would like to read them all :)

Description from Amazon:
But these three women are as
Jerry
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

The start of a expansive multi-author series, Back Home Again made for an easy, quick, and enjoyable read. Like the series premiere of a TV show, the book sets up characters and relationships for later in the series. Fans of other small-town, Christian series such as Jan Karon's Mitford will definitely enjoy this.

Content Concerns: Nothing in this department; it was completely innocent.

Score: 4/5
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

"The sleepy town of Acorn Hill is in for a surprise when the three Howard sisters reunite after the death of their father. Each has inherited a share of his worn-down Victorian house, and they dream of turning the family home into a bed-and-breakfast. But these three women are as different as siblings can be--can they survive living together, let alone going into business together? It looks like their dream may be headed for disaster! Only by learning to work together, trusting
Angela Hutchens
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light reading that you can easily finish in a day. Sweet story of 3 sisters learning to get along later in life.
Nancy A. Norman
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

Heart warming story about three sisters coming back together in their family home. Their love for each transcends their difference s
Susan
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Meh, kind of boring but I'm going to continue with the series......
Cheryl
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minister Daniel Howard has died and his 3 daughters all come back to live in the house. Louise wants a small music conservatory, Alice wants to use it for youth minister’s and Jane wants to open a restaurant so they start squabbling. They decide to open an Inn and use all of their savings to redo the house inside and out. The town isn’t sure they want an inn next to the church, they don’t like the new colors the house is painted and Aunt Ethel doesn’t help matters with her interfering. Since ...more
Donna
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story. So glad I discovered this series. I needed a light, uplifting read. On the #2.
Sandy Griffin
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, the best book I've read all year. Melody Carlson has a winner! As an adopted child, who didn't discover her biological family until later in life, I often dreamed of having sisters like the Howard sisters. And a Bed and Breakfast is just icing on the cake. From heartache and loss, to hope, family strength and fresh starts, this book has it all. I laughed, I cried, and I fumed as the sisters faced nearly insurmountable odds to achieve their dream. I could read this book a hundred ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back Home Again, Tales from Grace Chapel Inn Series by Melody Carlson
Alice Howard is there to tend to her dads' funeral and she's waiting for her sisters Louise and Jane to finish some details.
The aunt Ethel can't even think of what they'll do with the house...
The sisters want to start over again, there in town and think the house would be a good B&B and they can all pitch in.
Things get out of hand when Aunt Ethel puts her two cents in and before they know it the sisters have to appear in
NancyInWI
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three adult daughters are reunited when their father, a pastor at Grace Chapel, passes away. They meet again at their family home, an old Victorian house that is in disrepair. The sisters, though miles apart in demeanor and station in life, come together to repair and renovate the home and transform it into the Grace Chapel Inn.
A Christian easy readable "feel good" gentle read. While it started out slow, I'm glad I stuck with it. I came to love the sisters and smiled at the end
Jane(Janelba)
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane(Janelba) by: briansgirl
What can I say I absolutely adored this book and now am really sad as the other books are so difficult to get a hold of and also so expensive ! So please to have been introduced to the town of Grace Chapel and to meet Alice, Louise and Jane and their adventures turning the family home into an Inn.
Ratforce
You might want to try the inspirational series Tales from Grace Chapel Inn. The series is made up of warm and heartfelt stories with a focus on faith, and since each title is written by a different author, it may also help you find new favorite writers. This is the first in the series.
Janie  R.
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book, cozy and warm, sipping my hot chocolate! And I love the old Victorian house and the small town the story takes place in. I am looking forward to the continuation of the Tales from Grace Chapel Inn series. Thank you, Melody Carlson for a great read!
Mamey
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice quick, easy story. Christian book. Loved the storyline.....
Kath
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet, peaceful book.
Debbie
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good story. No language issues, no sex, just a nice story. I'm looking forward to reading on and my library has the entire series.
L-V
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read-it
I love this series. Easy reads with likable characters. There's always an uplifting, spiritual message interwoven into the story.
Marbeth Carmack
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this heartwarming book about three sisters who reunite after the death of their Father, a local minister, and turn the family home into a B&B.
Jerry
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
See my review of the other edition.
Barbara
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Howard is a middle-aged single woman who has lived with her father in the old family home for years. Now her father has passed away, and her sisters have come home for the funeral. The house has been left to the three of them equally, and as they discuss what to do with it, they hit upon the idea of converting it to a bed-and-breakfast.

Their first obstacle is a meddling aunt and small-town resistance to anything new. Then, the three sisters are so different, and two of them in particular
Kim
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While some aspects of this tale were sweet and pleasant enough, overall it was kind of boring. I never felt that the sisters, other than Alice really had a realistic feeling grief for the loss of their father, for one thing. Toward the end I thought I might like to see if things pick up a little once the inn is up and running because this one was all about getting the renovation accomplished and sort of dragged on in a way. I thought, maybe some of the upcoming guest might liven things up. Then ...more
Sandra Strange
This gentle novel sets up for a whole series. The main characters, three middle aged sisters come together to save the family home, where they grew up with their pastor father and loving mother providing loving, Christian guidance. The youngest, who has stayed home, working as a nurse, and cared for her parents, comes up with the idea of converting their three story dwelling into a small bed and breakfast, where one sister, an expert chef, can cook and the other one, skilled at finance, can ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Back Home Again - 11th Feb Book 1 3 Feb 22, 2013 05:07PM

• A Wreath of Snow
  • A Promise Kept
  • Sisterchicks on the Loose (Sisterchicks, #1)
  • A State of Grace (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #2)
  • A Test of Faith (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #4)
  • When Summer Comes (Whiskey Creek, #3)
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • Love Without End (Kings Meadow Romance, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • When First They Met (Rose Harbor, #0.5)
  • Home to Whiskey Creek (Whiskey Creek, #4)
  • A Glitter of Gold (Georgia Coast Romance #2)
  • Take Me Home for Christmas (Whiskey Creek, #5)
  • The Lady in the Attic (Annie's Attic Mysteries #1)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • A Lake House Holiday: A Small-Town Christmas Romance Novel
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the

Tales from Grace Chapel Inn (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Going to the Chapel (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #2)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Portraits of the Past (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #5)
  • Winter Wonders (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #6)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
  • Slices of Life (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #8)
  • Midsummer Melody (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #9)
  • Something Old, Something New (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #10)
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)