Start by marking “Autism Uncensored: Pulling Back the Curtain” as Want to Read:
Autism Uncensored: Pulling Back the Curtain

Autism Uncensored: Pulling Back the Curtain

"And when in the grips of a public tantrum, amidst the horror and humiliation of him shrieking and splayed out on the floor while strangers recoiled in shock, my mind lurched towards an inescapable truth--that I want out from this nightmare. I want out from this child."

So begins the turbulent ride of one parent's decision, crafted in despair and desperation, to abandon tr
Published April 15th 2018 by Koehler Books

Start your review of Autism Uncensored: Pulling Back the Curtain
Kaelan Rhywiol
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
REVIEW:

*I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Content warning ableist language as self-labeling and examples of how people think of autistics.

First, I need to say something, I'm appalled that any publisher would send an ARC out that was so poorly formatted. I read a LOT of ARCs and I work in publishing, and this one was by far the worst. Some pages were almost illegible, so much so that I often wondered if they'd paid a drunken baboon to type and for
Mar 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is what "autism awareness" does.

A fear mindset becomes a control mindset.

Control becomes abuse.

If nothing else, this book demonstrates just how much abusers can get away with when their victims are marginalized. This is what happens when people are taught to hate and fear their own children, when autism is framed as an enemy to be "battled," combatted," "defeated." The alienation this creates between parent and child is profound. The harm being done to autistic children is likewise profound
Kaia
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Content Warning: Child abuse, graphic depictions of violence against a child, suicidal ideation, and ableism.

When Whitney Ellenby’s article about her trip to see Elmo with her autistic son, Zack, was first published by The Washington Post, the sheer, harrowing violence of it shocked many autistic adults, myself among them. Frightened and angry, I acquired an eARC of Autism Uncensored, the book that spawned the article, from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Martyr Mommy:

The book opens
Falconmanhammer
Mar 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Child Abuse Uncensored

Béatrice
Mar 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not my words, the words of a fellow Autistic, Max Sparrow:
"Ellenby has said no one should speak badly about her book unless they’d read every word. Well, I’ve done that now and I feel soiled and deflated. Demanding that Autistics who are upset by one bite of her book must go on to consume the whole thing before being permitted to have an opinion is the demand of a bully who knows they are requiring vulnerable people to traumatize themselves with her words."
Christina
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
ARC copy via Netgalley.

This goes much further than To Siri with Love in terms of having horrid thoughts about your own child in print for any and everybody to read. Unflinching negativity and devastating thoughts that should really be kept private. I couldn't even begin to imagine what her son or her daughter would think reading this book later on.

The first half of the book is really hard to read.

Example quotes:

"He was special in a bad way."

"And beneath my frozen motherly facade I became lost in
WhatisAshreading
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes! I’m not sure how this one made it through the publishing process. The author uses ableist language against her own son. This is a terrible “resource” for anyone who does not know someone who is on the spectrum. Or someone who is looking to know more.
Aplpaca
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ew
ew
Stephanie M.
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Book Him Danno
3 stars it all I could give this book.
I know so many moms who children struggle with Autism and I wanted to know more to help and better understand what they are going though. This book fell short. The author knowledge didn't seem to be anymore than the average person.
The Author uses labels that doctors do not use when talking about Autism. She lack empathy though this book for her own son. She uses words that would bring anyone down not just children with Autism but any mental health issues.
Rachael
Apr 17, 2020 is currently reading it
Not read, and never will read, but not rating as it deserves 0 stars - my life is way too short to read a "book" by someone who hates people like me. The fact that some people like it actually makes me feel unsafe - and absolutely furious that it is apparently acceptable to treat Autistic people like shit - as well as incredibly sad. We deserve way better.
Janice
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this book. What a great read. Whitney Ellenby writes of the journey undertaken by her and her husband after learning that their son is autistic. First of all, let me say how lucky that little boy is to have such amazing and supportive parents. They are fortunate enough to have the financial resources to truly give their son the astoundingly expensive support he needs. They're loving, compassionate and fully devoted to him. They have a strong marriage to withstand the enormo ...more
Kelly Fordyce
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was extremely helpful to read the authors background before her son was born. Learning her history, her hopes, her professional and relationship goals, all added to the validity of the book. There was a point I was almost too depressed about autism to continue reading but considering the goal was not to sugar coat autism and the experiences, it drove me forward also. I’m grateful for the authenticity as well as the ability for author to see past some of the “procedures” in order to better mee ...more
Ron
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Autism Uncensored is one of the top ten best books I’ve read on autism and I have read over 300 books on this topic. I highly recommend it to every parent who has a child or children on the spectrum also teachers. The strength of this book is Whitney Ellenby’s transparency sharing her own experiences of both the beauty and ugliness of autism. I love her description of her son’s meltdowns and taking him to the theater.
Ron Sandison, founder of Spectrum Inclusion and author of Parent’s Guide to Au
Liz
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not the description of autism that many people are comfortable with it is this mother's experience.
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, I want to thank Whitney Ellenby and The Nonfiction Author Awards for providing me with this book so I may bring this review to you.

Warning: you will need a box of tissues handy for this book. Many times, I cried both sad and happy tears.

Autism Uncensored Pulling Back the Curtain by Whitney Ellenby is a book that every parent/relative of a child/loved one who is either living with or just been diagnosed with Autism must read! Whitney makes this a very educational read on a personal level
Fay Jacobsohn
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a book! This was an amazing trip down the lane of autism. This book pulls back the curtain on autism and gives a very good and detailed description of what it is like living day by day with a child with autism and the very real frustrations, guilt, despair and struggles involved with taking him out into the real world and trying to decide which method to try to help him.

This book is definitely uncensored and gives you a real look into the life of an educated mother who had to quit bei
Daniel  O'Neil
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brutally honest story

Whitney tells the story of raising her autistic child as if she was just living it—the fear and heartbreak of learning what her son faced, the trials of trying to help him to overcome it, and the joy and acceptance once she realized that he would not.

It is a hard story. If you are starting down the journey of raising an autistic child, read the last few chapters first. The story ends well and Whitney has created a wonderful group that creates a safe space for all of us wi
Mark
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Autism, Uncensored is deeply engaging; Ellenby writes in the present tense, bringing each experience to the gut. Sharing at the level of detail she does is both instructive and inspirational for those dealing not only with autism but also with rearing the “normal” child. As much as the book is about autism it is also about the narrator, following the arc of her transformation from terrified hope through resignation through developing enough confidence in her own common sense to act in a non-conf ...more
Alicia
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am a parent with twins that are on the spectrum and can identify with the journey. I started out with blame and still have it every now and then but slowly realizing it doesn't serve myself or my children. Your story inspires me to not look at my children as just disabled but as people.
Sue Keisler
Marie
May 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• To Siri With Love: A Mother, Her Autistic Son, and the Kindness of a Machine
  • The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronaut #3)
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • Borne (Borne, #1)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, #1-3)
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made