Start by marking “Eat Cake. Be Brave.” as Want to Read:
Eat Cake. Be Brave.

Eat Cake. Be Brave.

From the star of USA reality show The Radkes and creator of the viral "Red Ribbon Week" video, this is a hilarious and inspiring story of finding self-confidence in a world of naysayers.

My name is Melissa Radke, and there is a very real chance you have no idea who I am or why I wrote a book. But admit it, you're curious!

Even though millions of people seem to like watchi
Published July 17th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Eat Cake. Be Brave., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Cake. Be Brave.

Start your review of Eat Cake. Be Brave.
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars.

I have been thinking about cake for the last eight hours and, in case you’re wondering, it’s most certainly Melissa Radke’s fault. And it’s torture because I’m trying to eat healthy food only for the next two months to see how my body reacts. Thanks a lot, Mel.

Melissa Radke was right when she said that whoever picked this book up would end up loving her. I didn’t know her before, and I still don’t know many things about her, yet I can’t help but feel like we’ve become friends somehow.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tucker by: Grand Central Publishing

Many thanks to for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

This book was sent to me by the publisher! If you would like to know how to get ARCs and review copies, feel free to watch my video, Advanced Reader Copies 101!

-----------

this was so much more than a fluffy celebrity memoir. it as poignant, funny and heartbreaking. i smiled, laughed and cried. review to come

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Judy Stokely
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was the whole enchilada. "Eat Cake Be Brave" will make you laugh, because she is a master at being painfully real. You will see yourself, whether you want to or not, in so many chapters. It will make you cringe because maybe you have been the person that she speaks of that was hurt or maybe because you were the person who has hurt others. ((hand raised)) You will cry because you will feel the pain that she went through, even if you have never experienced exactly what she is describing. ...more
Sue Fernandez
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Grand Central Publishing for an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I didn't know of Melissa Radke, but let's be honest...I adored the title and cover. So, I dove in. Non fiction isn't usually my bedtime (truth: middle of the night) choice, unless it's a true crime book (which I do NOT recommend doing.) This book was genuine, funny, poignant and felt real. Radke has a new fan in me. I also loved that she talked about how God plays a role in her ...more
Tricia Hansen
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m no bookworm and yet from the preface to the end I couldn’t put this book down. Her pictures in between the chapters bring familiarity to the upcoming and previous chapters within the book. Through the words to her kids, husband, mother and other woman in her family whom she calls her chicken fried woman, and many more brings to life the kind of person Melissa is and the person many readers including myself inspire to be like......BRAVE.
Chanda Gilliam
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I did not expect anything less from Melissa- everything she does is incredible from her podcast “Ordinary People, Ordinary Things”, her videos, to her first book. She is so relatable, and and entertaining you will not want to put this book down. I finished it in two days, and am reading it again. She is hilarious and will have you laughing hysterically, but turn the page and her raw emotions can have you reaching for Kleenex. She really knows how to reach the reader by being real. The b ...more
Belinda
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Radke knocked it out of the ball park with her first book!!! Her story will have you laughing one minute and in tears the next as she shares her life story! Once you start, you won’t want to put it down!!!
Theresa Gaddis
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Find me a woman, a girl, a Mom, a wife, who doesn’t relate with something in this book and I will show you someone without a pulse. Melissa has an incredible way of sharing her life and somehow making us all think we are reading about our own experiences at some time or another. You will laugh and you will cry but mostly you breathe a sigh of relief as Melissa shows you that you are not alone in this crazy beautiful life. I had to make myself only read a few chapters a day it was so good. When y ...more
Alisa Bescherer
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREDIBLE! Grab a piece of cake a glass of Sweet Tea or Diet Coke amongst your dirty laundry, screaming kids and undone homework. This is worth the read. You will find yourself going, “Yup” or “ I would be her best friend”.

***Spoiler - grab some Kleenex’s and maybe even a whole cake!
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews

I find it funny that the week I try and start my new diet, this is the book I pick up and read. It couldn't have been more perfect. Notice the cake in the picture above? It was from my "last hurrah" dinner the night before.

Anyway, what I found out about Melissa Radke is that she is a woman who struggles like the rest of us. Melissa has an immensely beautiful way of telling us all about it in a way that makes you feel less alone.

Brave perfection is the best way to describe Eat Cake. Be Brave. I l
Leah Rector
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK Y’ALL! Seriously, love this book so much. I’m known for starting a book and putting it down within a few minutes. If I’m not sucked in, I won’t finish it. From the moment I started reading the preface all the way to the acknowledgments, I was sucked in. I couldn’t stop reading. This is a perfect summer read especially for a road trip, long flight or just around the pool. You’re not going to want to put it down.
You will laugh, you will cry, you might even do both at the same time. It’s
Ash Luna
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very delighted with this book it was entertaining from start to end. I read it whenever I was free at work and it was perfect. Eat Cake Be Brave is a book I totally recommend to anyone who needs a light read with so much motivation.
K Cox
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Radke did not disappoint in her first book, “Eat Cake. Be Brave.”. The viral sensation, known for her dislike of “Red Ribbon Week”, continues to weave her colorful, true stories and blessed me. She shares such topics as dating, trying out for cheerleader, college, marriage, infidelity, infertility, depression, adoption, family and her faith in Jesus. In true Melissa Radke form, one minute she has you laughing out loud and the next your heart aches. She reminds us that we are not what oth ...more
Tabitha
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I literally belly laughed in public a few times, and I shed some tears. If you need a good laugh, a little reflection, or some encouragement this is the book for you.
Jenn Poole
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first time I ever encountered Melissa Radke is when she spoke to my soul about spirit week. It was then that I knew I would follow her and watch everything of hers. There was a particular video I watch where she talks about the year she decided to be brave and not say no anymore. It spoke to me on a whole new level. I am so glad she included that story in her book. I feel that the book would have been missing something had she left it out. The thing about writing a non fiction memoir type bo ...more
Andi Davis Tuggle
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought I’d read this book and like it because I like Melissa. I had no idea that it would feel so familiar and cause me to laugh and cry and speak out loud and want to hunt a girl down and beat her in the name of Jesus and for the love of a girlfriend.. My emotions were all over the map in the hours that I read it. I literally could not put it down. I now need a chiropractor because of the hours I sat in one position consuming every word. Melissa is refreshing, honest, and raw. You just feel ...more
Audrey Clipner
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will make you laugh, cry, and think at times she may have been reading your mind. I don’t know how she does it but you will feel like you are having a personal conversation with her one on one. You feel the heartbreak from her life and sometimes want to go punch someone.

All high school girls, and anyone who has been a high school girl, NEED to read Eat Cake. Be Brave. You will realize you are not alone and there is life after the hurt. This woman has helped me heal some things in my l
Tabitha White
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listen!!!! If you are looking for 100% realness and all of the feels, this is THE book for you!! Eat Cake. Be Brave. takes us all on a journey through the ups and downs of Melissa’s life. Just go ahead and grab your Kleenex because one chapter will have you laughing until you are crying, while the next sends you into a full-on ugly cry (or was that just me??). Do yourself a favor....grab this book, your Kleenex and join us all as we are eating cake and being brave!!
Cyndy Carroll
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will make you laugh and make you cry. And then make you laugh some more. It is raw and wonderful. Melissa Radke bares her soul with her first book and makes you love her and her family along the way!
Kathryn Witzel
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Melissa Radke on Facebook since the Red Ribbon Week video. She makes me laugh regularly and puts into words the feelings I often experience. I also listen to her podcast and was concerned that I had already heard her story. However, this book...is so special. She shares tough stories of love and acceptance and loss and adoption. She shares a Christian message that resonates with me. Radke writes, "I am Christian. Not the kind that protests at your funeral. Not the kind that ...more
Andrea
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny. And it made me cry multiple times. A true gem.
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wowza ...u might think that this read will be a light hearted, even a funny, hilarious read based on that cover there but think again... it is full of emotions (such rawness, weak, a lifetime of change, learning, experience, she is just so extremely honest, candid, open, out there blowing in the breeze (and I appreciate that ... i truly believe when we are extremely honest and true to every one it might help others to adjust their own lives ... same goes with marriage, why folks walk around acti ...more
Kathryn in FL
Do NOT Miss the Opportunity to Read this Incredible Book! If you struggled with weight issues, miscarriages, low self-esteem and need some good natured humor, this is a must!

Unlike some of the readers of this book, I did not know that Melissa Radke was famous! After reading the book it is obvious why, she is so popular: great sense of humor; intensely honest; she has overcome the loss of 5 children (I know that pain to well, and I have been healed through God's mercy but it was a long road) as i
Cassie O. | Lost In Tomes
I'm gonna be honest with you because I feel like the synopsis wasn't.
This is not a self-improvement book, this is a memoir.

Which if I rate it as such is not bad but that's not what was advertised via the description, title or section it was filed under. The synopsis tells us this is a story about a girl who decides to change her life and be braver on her 41st birthday which leads us to believe we'll be reading a story ultimately about how she goes about changing her life during that year. Howev
Truebluedah ♪
This book was just ok..
If this was a self help book I’d be all for it..
But it wasn’t.
I wasn’t supposed to feel like crying half the time and triggered the other half..
This book not only wasn’t as promising as I had hoped but it also was full of things that belong in a book titled “how to get back up” or ‘how to: life.” Not really a comedic memoir called “Eat cake. Be brave.”
The writing itself was not bad at all, it just did not fit my expectations/what was presented.

In spite of this, there were
Patb
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
I loved this book. Thank you Melissa Radke for reminding me to Be Brave. I totally enjoyed listening to this audio book. As someone who has been overweight the majority of her life, I too, can relate to the life experiences that Melissa shares.
Amy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like many others, I was first introduced to Melissa Radke with her Red Ribbon Week video. This video had me rolling and sharing. Then came more videos. Some gave me laughs and some had me reaching for the Kleenex.

This book was no different. Melissa is a brilliant storyteller and she has the ability to summarize it into a lesson we can all relate to. Her heartaches and desperate moments are gut-wrenching, but word by word, line by line she pulled us out right alongside her.

If you're fearful you'l
Billie Jean
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read MANY books...MANY!!! I thought this might be a good read with an inspirational message but SERIOUSLY!!! I found myself laughing then snorting...tears in my eyes to reaching for the box of kleenex...feeling frustrated to wanting to punch people in the face...wanting to high five Melissa to really doing a cartwheel for her (You're welcome!).

I went into the bathroom stall and ate lunch with her. I went to every cheerleading tryout and every audition. I felt the pain of those deprecating t
Ashley Ferguson
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book blends the harsh reality of the world we live in and all the humor of a sassy, Southern woman and wraps it up in the love of Jesus. The amount of life Melissa Radke has walked and the things she's experienced and endured could shatter a person, but she eloquently spills each thread of her heart onto the pages of this lifelong journey and bravely shares it with you.

If you're in a hard spot or you need encouragement that not everyone is a Pinterest-worthy, yoga model that bakes cakes in
Kristie Jones
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All who know me will tell you that I love to read....but what I don't often confess, is that I rarely read anything non-fiction....gasp!!!....I know but listen, I've done enough academic reading in my time that I feel that my love of fiction is totally justified. Another thing I try to keep to myself but that my good friends know is that I'm not all that emotionally transparent. I mean, I stink at it. You don't make it to be a 42 yr old single female without having your emotions bruised enough t ...more

• Sacred Ground, Sticky Floors: How Less-Than-Perfect Parents Can Raise (Kind of) Great Kids
  • Remember God
  • The Wondering Years: How Pop Culture Helped Me Answer Life’s Biggest Questions
  • Stand All the Way Up: Stories of Staying In It When You Want to Burn It All Down
  • Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter
  • I Ain't Doin' It: Unfiltered Thoughts From a Sarcastic Southern Sweetheart
  • If You Only Knew: My Unlikely, Unavoidable Story of Becoming Free
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • Home Is Where My People Are: The Roads That Lead Us to Where We Belong
  • Laugh It Up! Embrace Freedom and Experience Defiant Joy
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • 100 Days to Brave: Devotions for Unlocking Your Most Courageous Self
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • Giddy Up, Eunice: Because Women Need Each Other
  • All Things Reconsidered: How Rethinking What We Know Helps Us Know What We Believe
  • Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire: The Guide to Being Glorious You
  • Finding God Faithful - Bible Study Book
  • On the Bright Side: Stories about Friendship, Love, and Being True to Yourself