Start by marking “The Polar Bear Explorers' Club” as Want to Read:
The Polar Bear Explorers' Club

The Polar Bear Explorers' Club

(The Polar Bear Explorers' Club #1)

I, Stella Starflake Pearl, do solemnly swear that I will explore faraway lands, strange seas, exotic jungles and forbidden deserts. That I will bravely face fierce monsters, bloodthirsty savages, savage beasts and ferocious weather. I will seek to extend the limits of human understanding, discover new wonders, and commit astonishing acts of derring-do.

Join Stella Starflake
Published December 8th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 2nd 2017)

Dannii Elle
I need to read middle grade more often! This provided the most charming story-line, delivered a fun Arctic adventure, is full of feminist ideals, and has created some of the most unique and lovable characters. You don't need to be of the intended age range to enjoy this, as every reader has much to gain from this adorable, inclusive, and individual story.
Jade Ratley
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great children’s book! If you’ve got kids, then I highly recommend this. If you’re into cute children’s stories then I highly recommend this.
Obviously my rating is taking into consideration that this is a children’s book, I’m knocking a star for predictability, however there was a plot twist I wasn’t expecting! The writing was simplistic, however I liked the introduction of more sophisticated words at times, and the illustrations really added something special.
This was an adorab
Marta
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña completa en el blog: http://elviajeporunlibro.blogspot.com...
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella was found as a baby in the Icelands, a territory that is almost wholly unexplored. Now her adoptive father, Felix, a polar explorer, is returning to further explore the Icelands and Stella has been granted permission to accompany him - a high honour for a girl. Will she finally find answers to her true identity?
It took me a little while to get into this story, but once the expedition began I really warmed to it. It is non-stop action and adventure and is simply teeming with imagination. T
Svenja
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-2019
Die ersten 150 Seiten haben sich, für mich, super gezogen und es hat mir nicht wirklich Spaß gemacht, allerdings kamen immer wieder schöne messages zwischendurch (wobei die Warum dürfen Frauen nicht mitmachen Frage nie beantwortet wurde. :'()

Ab einem bestimmten Kapitel (ich weiß garnicht genau welches) wurde es aber schlagartig super interessant, spannend und toll! Ich hab mich dann richtig in alle Charaktere, die Story und die Freundschaft verliebt! Deswegen gebe ich dem Buch schlussendlich doc
Sam (she_who_reads_)
The most enjoyable reading experience I’ve had in a long time!! This was possibly the cutest book I’ve ever read- full of amazing characters, magical creatures, and exciting adventures! I’ve fallen absolutely in love with this world- I need more more more!! There’s humour, danger, mystery, and some truely heartwarming moments. There’s wonderful character growth, the writing style is beautiful, and the world Alex Bell has created is so unique and full of wonder- I cannot wait to discover more of ...more
Fenja
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I HAVE SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS BOOK! From the little messages about life and friendship and family that were weaved into the story to the kids and the PARENTS (Felix is Dad of the year oh my god) and the Plot and - I just loved everything about it.

It was funny and entertaining and adventurous and just so much fun! It had an awesome Plot Twist. It was very imaginative with polar bears and unicorns and tiny dinosaurs. It was basically everything I want from a good Middle Grade Fantasy. I would reco
Michelle
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you’ve worked with a publicist for a while, and they ask you to be part of a new book release which ends up being a worldwide hit, you don’t turn the offer down, so when you’re asked again for a surprise middle grade book you don't hesitate in saying yes.

Stella Starflake Pearl is adopted, she lives with her Dad Felix, and their multitude of pygmy dinosaurs, unicorns, and a polar bear. Stella wants to be an explorer, a navigator to be exact, but the Polar Bear Explorer's Club forbids women f
Sarah Nelson
A very fun, cute, and unique middle grade novel! Stella is a stubborn little girl who knows who she is and what she wants and she goes for it! I loved the characters and creatures in this story!!!
Rikke
I read this yesterday, while the snow was tumbling down outside and the freezing wind was howling. It was so perfect to sit, quietly and comfortably, and read about polar bears, frost fairies, yetis and mysterious expeditions while looking at the snow. A match made in heaven.

This book is a classic middlegrade novel; filled with adventure, action and courageous characters. It's about finding out who you are, accepting others individuality, and coming to terms with your past. And – of course – abo
Deepika
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A children’s book apt for this season... full of mermaids, huge ships, yetis, ice creams, cakes, jellybeans, Icelands, fairies, dancing penguins and friendship!!

It was about being brave, kind, making friends, choosing your path and exploring.

The book is so well written that I was transported to the winter wonderland with Stella, Shay, Ethan and Beanie - exploring it with them. The illustrations throughout the book make it more joyful.

Every adult should read children’s books so that it reminds us
Ophelia
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, owlcrate-jr
I finished my first book this year! Whouhou! Even though I'm having a terrible cold since new years eve....
Anyway, back to topic. I thoroughly enjoyed this read! It was really cute and it started of so strong! A magically crafted world full of wonders and pets I wished I could own! My only complain is, the adventure could have been a little more cleverly plotted.
3,5 stars
Dreximgirl
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really cute. I loved the characters as well as the storyline. It was well paced and well developed and I cannot wait for the next one. It is an easy read being middle grade but I still got a lot of pleasure from reading it. Recommend for anybody who wants a fun, polar adventure story.
Kate
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this little adventure. The description were outstanding and i also really liked the illustrations. Tbh living in such a wonderful world, full of polar bears, miniature penguin igloos, tiny dinosaurs, zebra unicorns and wolf whisperer would just totally be my thing. Also the end screams for sequel and i wouldn’t mind to join another exciting expedition!
Bex
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

‘Savaged by a cabbage’

Set in an unspecified time and world this is a brilliant book. It builds a world long gone where we didn’t know what’s was out there. It combines this age of exploration story with a brilliant fantasy background and a well thought out magic system. After all who can read about Pygmy diplodocus without wanting one?

Stella has always been different, encouraged by her adopted father to always be herself and be outgoing all she wants to do is be an explorer. The rules forbid wom
Chrissi
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved Alex Bell’s adult and YA books. Seriously, if you haven’t checked out The Ninth Circle and Jasmyn please give them a go. They’re amazing and so underrated, in my opinion. I was super excited to pick up The Polar Bear Explorers’ Club. It’s such an exciting story that I believe will pull children in and keep them engaged throughout the story.

Its plot is fast paced and so easy to read. The reader follows a group of young explorers on a quest to find the coldest part of the Icelands as
Layla
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella Starflake Pearl knows deep down that she’s an explorer – she’s got a middle name and all explorers have middle names! Defying the rules that no girls are allowed to explore, Stella tags along with her father on the latest Polar Bear Club expedition. When trouble out on the ice strikes, Stella is joined by Shay, a wolf whisperer, Ethan, a magician, and Beanie, a medic-in-training on an unforgettable adventure that will see them face off against some scary foes and put their differences as ...more
Christina Worrall
I was excited to read this book. What do you want in the run up to Christmas other than a good, snowy adventure story? But this was such a disappointment. Alex Bell uses a very tired formula of ‘girls can’t do x, so my character will!’, which may have worked 15 years ago, but most certainly will not now. It is still a good adventure story when it gets down to it, but I couldn’t get past this lazy trope. Having some bad-ass female explorers would’ve made a much better plot, it just felt like Bell ...more
Kate (infinitelynovel)
This was so much fun to read! The Polar Bear Explorers' Club follows Stella Starflake Pearl, aspiring explorer, as she and three other junior explorers head off on an adventure across the Icelands. This middle-grade novel boasts a whole myriad of magical curiosities: this is by no means an exhaustive list, but it contains unicorns, miniature penguins, yetis, fairies and cabbages (just take my word for that last one). It's also a tale that really promotes equality; "You can be whatever you want t ...more
Helen
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and whimsical story.
Lisa
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This was a fabulous read. I fell in love with it on p9 with the description of polar pets (want!) and it only got better from there :)
Steph
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional. Friendship, equality, fun and gorgeous Felix. That last page though... What is that???!
Sabrina
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt:

Stella träumt davon in die Fußstapfen ihres Ziehvaters zu treten und dem Polarbären-Entdeckerclub den größten Abenteurern beizutreten. Ihr Traum nimmt mit ihrem zwölften Geburtstag endlich Realität an, auch wenn sie eher auf unsanfte Töne und verachtende Blicke stößt, denn Frauen bzw. Mädchen haben in den Refugien der Entdecker nichts zu suchen. Nichts desto trotz begibt sie sich gemeinsam mit den Junior-Entdeckern Beanie, Shay und Ethan auf eine geheimnisvolle Mission in das noch unentde
Katy Noyes
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent comic adventure/fairy tale with a 'thing' for moustaches...

It's a man's world for orphan Stella, found in the Arctic by an explorer and adopted, brought up to look on the globe as somewhere exciting to discover... but girls are NOT expected or encouraged to this kind of career. Persuasion and determination and Stella finds herself, alongside several other boys, on her first expedition to the cold lands in which she was found.

I won't describe deeply what happens next, but alongside a fe
Karschtl
4,5 Sterne

Heutzutage wollen die Kinder YouTuber, Influencer oder The Voice Kids Gewinner werden. Aber es gab auch mal eine Zeit, da gab es keine größeren Helden als die Entdecker, die ihr Leben riskierten um den weißen Flächen auf der Landkarte einen Namen zu geben.

Und in diese Zeit entführt dieses Buch, in dessen Mittelpunkt eine kleine Gruppe von Kindern stehen die eigentlich als kleiner Teil einer großen Forschertruppe den kältesten Ort der Erde erreichen wollen. Weil ihre Schlittenwölfe aber
Stephen Connor
A frosty tale of exploration - part fantasy, part fairy tale - as Stella and three comrades make their way across the Icelands. Stella, who was orphaned and taken in by the wonderful Felix, finds out about her true identity, and friendship is very much at the fore here.

There were lots of moments that reminded me of Katherine Rundell's writing - Felix, for one, is very similar to Charles of Rooftoppers, not to mention Stella's predicament bearing similarities to Sophie - and obviously the explor
Beatrice
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Noakes
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was a hilarious romp through a magical world that was full of imagination.
Our main character, Stella, was delightfully sassy, brave and determined. AKA, every thing I love in a heroine.
I really, really enjoyed the magical elements–they were funny, original, and I’ll never look at a cabbage the same way again.
I LOVED the world that this was set in–it was quirky and fabulous, and I want a pet dinosaur/baby polar bear.
I want to be a member of the Polar Bear Explorers’ Club.
This book in on
G Beulah
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I can see myself using this a recommendation for girls who enjoy the traditional "girly" tropes (unicorns, princesses etc.) but are looking something a bit more exciting! The characters espouse values of friendship, teamwork and understanding and show good growth throughout the book. I'm not a fan of fantasy myself, but always admired girls with gumption (Judy Moody, Tilly Beany and (my favourite) Dick King Smith's Sophie) in the the books I loved growing up and think that Stella could be this k ...more
Eilis
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une histoire palpitante au cours des contrés glacées, en compagnie de licornes, de fées et de princesses de glaces! Avec de jeunes héros très attachants et accro aux dragés multicolores. Un univers un peu loufoque et très attachant, qui m'a donné envie de rentrer boire un chocolat bien chaud en dévorant les dernières pages!
Des aventures qui vont captiver les jeunes et les moins jeunes, et nous faire sourire avec nostalgie!
  • Sky Song
  • Secrets of a Sun King
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • The Last Chance Hotel
  • The Way Past Winter
  • Peril in Paris (Taylor & Rose: Secret Agents, #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • Brightstorm
  • Snowglobe
  • The Children of Castle Rock
  • Wed Wabbit
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Boy Underwater
  • The Explorer
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co., #1)
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • AniMalcolm
  • Boy In The Tower
Alex Bell was born in 1986. She always wanted to be a writer but had several different back-up plans to ensure she didn’t end up in the poor house first. For some years these ranged from dolphin trainer to animal shelter vet but then, at fifteen, she had an epiphany involving John and Robert Kennedy and decided to become a lawyer instead.

To that end she eagerly started a Law Degree only to find it

The Polar Bear Explorers' Club (2 books)
  • Explorers on Witch Mountain