Start by marking “Porcupine's Pie” as Want to Read:
Porcupine's Pie

Porcupine's Pie

WINNER OF THE BEAMING BOOKS PICTURE BOOK WRITING CONTEST!

Porcupine can't wait to share Fall Feast with her woodland friends, so when everyone she greets is unable to bake their specialty due to a missing ingredient, Porcupine generously offers staples from her pantry. When Porcupine discovers that she, too, is missing a key ingredient, the friends all work together to
Published October 9th 2018 by Beaming Books

To ask other readers questions about Porcupine's Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Porcupine's Pie

Start your review of Porcupine's Pie
Laurie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3; Reading Level: 1.6

What would you do if it was time for the Fall Feast Day and your friends needed help with their recipes? Would you help them? Of course you would! But what if you didn't have everything you needed? Would you just give up? Well not Porcupine! It was time for the Fall Feast Day and she was about to make her Famous Cranberry Pie. As she is on her way to wash off the cranberries she runs into her friends, each one missing a major ingredient for their recipes.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Sorry for our long hiatus, but we’re back! Our book today is Porcupine’s Pie, written by Laura Renauld and illustrated by Jennie Poh, a delightful tale of generosity and friendship.

Fall Feast Day is here, and Porcupine is prickled with excitement – she can’t wait to bake her famous Cranberry Pie for all her friends. Gathering her cranberries, she sets off to the river to wash
Linda
This sweet story by Laura Renauld--out tomorrow--is the winner of the Beaming Books picture book writing contest! Porcupine prepares for Fall Feast Day by taking off for the river to wash her cranberries. On the way, she meets several animals like Squirrel and asks them if they are preparing the favorite dishes she remembers from last year. Squirrel replies no, no "Nut Bread" this year because she has no flour. Generous Porcupine is happy to share her flour and tells squirrel to help herself. ...more
Stephanie Ward
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
With clever word play and a delicious premise, Porcupine's Pie is a perfect picture book to celebrate autumn. Porcupine is the pillar of thoughtfulness throughout the book, but when she's in need, Bear, Squirrel and Doe show the same kindness to her and showcase for young readers what it means to be a good friend.

Porcupine's Pis is such a fun story to read aloud. It builds in suspense as Fall Feast Day (akin to a Thanksgiving harvest celebration) approaches and all the woodland animals prepare
Nancy
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sharing and Friendship on Fall Feast Day

Porcupine is excited about Fall Feast Day and ready to make her famous cranberry pie. The first step in the recipe is “Wash the berries.” Porcupine sets off for the river. On the way she meets her friends, squirrel, bear, and doe. They too are excited by Fall Feast Day, but each lacks an ingredient to prepare their special dish.

Porcupine is a generous friend. She gives each animal the ingredient they need to make their treat. When she reaches the river
Jill Steeley
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful picture book is perfect for a fall read-aloud for ages 4-8. Its theme is friendship and kindness. Porcupine is ready to make her favorite pie for the Fall Feast Day. She heads for the river to wash the cranberries for her pie and meets three friends along the way. Each is missing a key ingredient for his/her dish for the Fall Feast Day. She generously sends them to her house to get what they need as so goes on her errand. When she arrives at the river, she discovers her ...more
Danielle Dufayet
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Porcupine’s Pie is a yummy book about friendship!
I fell in love with Porcupine’s Pie the minute I saw the illustrations and realized this book was going to be full of heart; and it did not disappoint! Generous Porcupine shares all the things her forest friends need to make a fabulous feast (such clever foreshadowing) only to discover that now she doesn’t have what she needs to make her special cranberry pie. In the end, it is her friends that save the day –such a heartwarming story about
Juliana Lee
Porcupine is on her way to the river to wash her cranberries to bake her famous cranberry pie for the Fall Feast Day. Along the way she meets her animal friends who cannot make their famous dishes because they each lack one important ingredient. Luckily, Porcupine has plenty to share and invites her friends to go back to her house and pick up what they need. When she finally reaches the river, Porcupine sees that she has lost all her cranberries and returns home unable to make her pie. When her ...more
Teresa
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Porcupine’s Pie is a heartwarming and adorable tale of friendship and reciprocation. Readers follow Porcupine as she selflessly offers other animals any extra ingredients that she has, and they, in turn, come to the rescue when she absently loses her ingredient, making for a satisfying full-circle ending. Endearing illustrations rendered in a muted, yet cheerful, autumn palette complements the text perfectly. There is enough quietness to make this a good pre-naptime book, yet the fun little ...more
Allyson
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's Fall Feast Day! Porcupine is going to make her famous cranberry pie, but what about her friends? They don't have the right ingredients for their culinary creations! But not to worry, Porcupine has all they need. Porcupine is having a great day--until things go wrong. Will she be able to make her pie in the end?Porcupine's Pie by Laura Renauld is a delightful story of friendship and kindness. In this story, children learn that when you give kindness, it always comes back to you somehow!You ...more
Meera Sriram
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm lucky to have read this book on the first day of Fall - the book perfectly celebrates the mood and foods! This is a warm, sweet story on kindness and how every act of kindness counts and goes a long way in creating lasting friendships. As humans, we are never alone and this story drives home the message so tenderly to little children. And, there's a great recipe too! I particularly love the art work in this book - the style and colors are soothing and attractive.
Kali Woods
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Porcupine is the main character. She is a generous character towards the other creatures in the story. Through the acts of kindness from Porcupines friends, the moral foundation of the story to "pay it forward" is a great way to convey generosity. The illustrations helped assist in the telling the story. I think this book would be a good read for school aged children. It will help teach them to help others in their time of need.
Jacqui Boulter
Porcupine's Pie tells the story of a porcupine who ventures out to wash cranberries for her pie and offers the ingredients in her pantry to her woodland friends who need them to make their own culinary creations. When Porcupine discovers that she has dropped her cranberries, her friends offer their extra ingredients to her and they enjoy a Fall Feast Day together. Children ages 4-8 will enjoy this story about the bonds of friendship and sharing. A delightful read.
This is a sweet story about sharing, friendship, and baking. I love all of these things. I lost site of what porcupine was off to do and got confused when her pail was empty and had to go back and to see what had gone wrong. Ok, so I wasn't paying attention to everything in the illustrations. Silly me. Once I was back on track, I enjoyed this story very much. I think this would make a fun fall program in a library or classroom setting with making Friendship pie and sharing it.
Mindy Baker
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to celebrate Fall Feast Day! I love books with recipes. They provide such a great avenue to spend time with my kids. Not only do you get to read the story, but you can create a special memory together as you make and eat the treat. Not only does it provide a recipe, but this book is rich with the themes of sharing and friendship. It will make a great addition to any family library.
Michelle Lord
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This heart-warming tale of forest friendship by Laura Renauld fosters themes of giving and community, but children will simply delight in the story. The illustrations by Jennie Poh are filled with charm. Kids will want to retrace Porcupine’s path to see where she lost those cranberries. A recipe at the end adds a fun activity for kids and their grownups.
Alex Giardino
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adorable and tender tale. The story offers a lesson in giving and receiving, especially appropriate around the fall holidays. The artwork is gentle, as quiet as the story itself; very well paired art and text. A lovely book whose sentiment floated around me, like an autumn leaf, for awhile after reading it.
Tori
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Porcupine prepares to bake a pie for the festival. As she works, she offers to share the contents of her pantry with her friends. Later, when she realizes she's short of an important ingredient, her friends come through for her, sharing their supplies in turn.
This is a cute, sweet story that will work well for storytime. I think I'll save it for near Thanksgiving.
Dream Reader Kids
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pocupine’s Pie is going to be on our Fall bookshelf, for many years to come. The message it teaches children about friendship and sharing is exactly what I want my daughter to embody. We enjoyed making the pie recipe in the back of the book and sharing with our friends. This cute little Porcupine has become a fast favorite in our household.
Jen Malia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful picture book about friendship and sharing. The story kept me and my kids guessing what was going to happen until the end. The best part about this book is that it’s one of those rare books that my kids want me to read to them over and over again. I love it so much that I’m happy to do so.
Elaine
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Porcupine’s Pie is an adorable story of friendship. Readers follow Porcupine gives the other animals any extra ingredients that she has, but in the end, they come to the rescue when she loses her ingredient, making for a lovely full-circle ending. The muted illustrations are gorgeous and complement the text beautifully.
Angie Quantrell
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorably cute tale of a porcupine gathering friends for a Fall Feast. Short on supplies, sharing is the only way to go. Fun read! My granddaughter wanted us to immediately jump up and make the recipe! (Of course, we did not have the correct supplies...)
Colleen
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got an advanced copy of this book which is coming out later this year because Laura and I went to college together. I loved this book. It was sweet and loving and will be perfect for Thanksgiving themed story times (for which I am always looking for good books). Highly recommended.
Natalee Creech
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This delightful story of generosity and friendship is perfect for any time of year! After reading it children will want to immediately read it again to see all the pages where Porcupine loses her cranberries. . . and then make a pie of their own! (Recipe included.)
Kelly
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the message of a Porcupine helping her neighbors, and her neighbors helping her.
Morgan
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read for work at Picture Book Read-In 2019.

Cute! Teaches sharing and friendship.
Annette Bay
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An unconventional Thanksgiving book, Porcupune's generosity creates community just when Porcupine most needs it.
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Coming Soon!
Richard Ho
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming text, whimsical illustrations, and lovable characters are the perfect ingredients for this sweet picture book about sharing, friendship, and celebrating fall with delicious food!
Karyn
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Adorable story perfect for Thanksgiving story time at the library

• Fantastic You
  • The Yellow Suitcase
  • A Girl Called Genghis Khan: How Maria Toorpakai Wazir Pretended to Be a Boy, Defied the Taliban, and Became a World Famous Squash Player
  • Because
  • The Rough Patch
  • I Am a Wolf
  • The Fate of Fausto
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Harold Loves His Woolly Hat
  • Arabella and the Magic Pencil
  • Girl Running: Bobbi Gibb and the Boston Marathon
  • Pie in the Sky
  • Potato Pants!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Evelyn the Adventurous Entomologist: The True Story of a World-Traveling Bug Hunter
  • Chicks Rule!