Start by marking “Bedtime for Sweet Creatures” as Want to Read:
Bedtime for Sweet Creatures

Bedtime for Sweet Creatures

Nikki Grimes, Coretta Scott King Award winning author, and acclaimed illustrator Elizabeth Zunon's latest children's masterpiece creates an imagination-fueled and animal-filled journey to bedtime.

"[A] rhythmic, playful romp through a restless child's bedtime routine... a loving, effective lullaby."―Publishers Weekly, STARRED review

It's bedtime. But Mommy's little one is
Published January 14th 2020 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime for Sweet Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime for Sweet Creatures

Start your review of Bedtime for Sweet Creatures
KC
Sweet bedtime story with wonderfully colorful illustrations.
Laura Harrison
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait
It is only January but Bedtime for Sweet Creatures will be one of my favorite picture books throughout 2020. The rhythm and illustrations are perfection. The book begs to be acted out. The illustrations are so interesting and lovely. I find myself reaching for this title over and over. It is wonderful.
Melanie Dulaney
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks for sending me an ARC of this beautifully illustrated poem for preschoolers, Sourcebooks! I’ve always enjoyed Nikki Grimes’ poetry, but the artwork by Elizabeth Zunon makes this one stand out. Each animal used to represent the nighttime bed avoidance behaviors of young children everywhere is boldly painted and with a great blend of imagination and realism. Great bedtime read aloud.
Susan
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet bedtime picture book for those restless critters, this one in a fuzzy red onesie, who don’t want to go to bed. Gentle nudges and fabulous collage like illustrations make this book a treat for parents and kids alike.
Sandra
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not sure how kids will react to the direct 'you' which makes it feel a little like tell and don't show, but charming illustrations with great movement and brilliant colors. With all the animal effects probably a great read aloud if the reader is good with animal noises!
Pam
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the beautiful, colorful, intricate illustrations in this bedtime book. I also enjoyed the ties between the little girl's actions and personality to the animals she imagines. My main concern is the conclusion. Instead of finally sleeping in her own bed, the child manipulates her mother into letting her sleep with her parents.

Noooooooooooooo!!
Jamie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, arc
I received an ARC at Book Expo.

Cute story with great illustrations.
KDV
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the illustrations and the layout. Would be fun to read and act out.
Books on Stereo
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun bedtime tale for the little ones.
Andrew
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Critically acclaimed poet Nikki Grimes can turn such a simple everyday task into something magical. As a mother tries to put her stubborn child to bed, their nighttime routine and thoughts are accompanied by the animals they represent-- a coiled snake in a blanket, a ferocious bear as teddy, a koala for a hug. This makes for a lovely bedtime story.
Ricki
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review:The rhythm of this book is palpable. As a mother of three children six and under, I identified whole-heartedly with the mother of this book. She just wants her child to go to bed. As the child attempts sleep, he morphs into different animals (a lion, a tiger, an owl!). The book displays bedtime in ways that parents will identify with. Teachers will love using this book to teach metaphor and sound in story.

My three-year-old's review: "I like the squirrel and the koala a lot! I liked all
Tasha
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A small child does not want to go to bed in this poetic look at bedtime struggles. The book begins with the word “no” being chanted like a drum beat. The child asks “who” like an owl as if there is someone else heading to bed. Their mother takes the teddy bear and heads off towards the bedroom. Once in bed, there is growling like a bear, hissing like a snake due to monsters, and even roaring like a lion to check beneath the bed. Fawns and squirrels appear as a storybook is shared. The child hugs ...more
Margie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of the continent, country or community, it is a routine repeated daily. When parents are ready to rest, their children are not sleepy. You would think after a day of nearly non-stop action the children would be tired, but the opposite is true. The words, it's time for bed, are akin to a super surge of energy for little gals and guys.

They will say and do anything to avoid going to bed. Bedtime for Sweet Creatures (Sourcebooks, Jabberwocky, January 14, 2020) written by Nikki Grimes with
Theresa
I received this picture book for ages 3+ at Book Expo 2019. The lyricism of Nikki Grimes is superb. The little one in this story doesn’t want to go to bed, and mom describes her child in a manner similar to animals that may growl and nibble, but still need to slumber despite their resistance. Whimsically illustrated animals and poetic words sweep across the pages, making for a dynamic and captivating story that will guide our littlest ones to bed for the night. A sweet and endearing family story ...more
Linda
Can Mama get this boy in bed, the one growling along with his bear? First, the monsters must go, then a drink, the bathroom, one more time. But, wait, what about "Once upon a time"? Readers understand how hard it is to go to bed, all in the dark, without Mama or Papa. It feels like a hurry, to this boy, but perhaps takes a while, to the Mama. Nikki Grimes knows just what it's like to get a child to bed and Elizabeth Zunon's collages with real people's photos show them in the child's animal ...more
Aolund
A gentle bedtime book where a toddler reluctant to go to sleep is coaxed to bed by their mother. A metaphorical dimension is present throughout the book as the child's different actions are compared to various animals, and brightly-colored and patterned illustrations of these animals accompany the child across the pages. The child and their family have black skin, and the gender of the child is not specified.

Themes: Bed time, Animals, Pajamas
Janet
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Toddler bedtime is full of rituals some of which are to prolong the occurrence. Here are the rituals overlaid with all the animals the child may be seeing. The illustrations are intersections of the actual bedtime process and beautiful artful animal illustrations done in oils, acrylics, and paper collage, collage being one of my favorite art forms. Looking forward to more illustrations from Elizabeth Zunon.
Sasha
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this as an advance copy in 2019 and have loved it because of its vibrant colors/illustrations & the representation of African-American parents. My daughter (at the age of three) will often ask, “which one is me, Mommy?” The young boy in the story associates everything with animals and there is a beautiful rhythm to this book that both my daughter & I love.
Colorado Buck
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-picture
the animals she pretends to be instead of falling asleep are cute, the sounds they make make it into the descriptions, it's really a good night book, not really for storytime unless you can have them all fall asleep afterwards? and pretend?
Robin
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great concept, reads aloud beautifully. The combination of two distinct illustration styles does a wonderful job of distinguishing clearly between the imagination and reality. Parents will totally relate to this one. Highly recommended for ages 2-5.
Amy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this sweet bedtime story about a child who doesn't want to go to bed and how her refusals are compared to different animals. It was beautifully done AND featured African American characters. Great story!
Liv
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received an arc from Sourcebooks Kids of this beautiful picture book. What a clever way to add animal information to a bedtime story. Highly recommended!
Karen
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Beautifully illustrated and easy for a child to mimic the various animals. However, the child ends up getting what they wanted all along. Hmmm
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book to read to that child who isn't quite ready for bed.
Miss Sarah
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A child imagines they are a differnt animal during each part of it's bedtime routine. Colorful. Toddler and up
Amy
Wonderful use of imagination!
Gail
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely book; exquisite art
Tracie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little one does not want to go to bed!
mg
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Lovely sentiment...wonderful pictures.

But why does the dad play such a passive role throughout the whole thing? Why is he even featured if he's not going to have any sort of active role?
Elisabeth
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ha! This book is telling the true story of about every toddler’s bedtime routine. I loved this clever little story and the illustrations are really original.

• In a Jar