Start by marking “Open Mic Night at the End of the World” as Want to Read:
Open Mic Night at the End of the World

Open Mic Night at the End of the World

The end of the world was supposed to come with zombies attached, or maybe a flying meteor, but Dell finds that the reality is much less exciting—and infinitely lonelier.

In the wake of a virus that decimated the population, the place she calls home has turned into a ghost town. She hasn’t talked to anyone but her cat in weeks and finding an unopened bag of chips while looting the localonelier.

In

Published October 17th 2017 by Jessica Meyers

To ask other readers questions about Open Mic Night at the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Mic Night at the End of the World

Start your review of Open Mic Night at the End of the World
Diana
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
What happens after the end of the world?

Sometimes you bury the last of the potatoes with full military honors because they're too decayed to eat, and sometimes they grow. Sometimes you find fireworks in the abandoned grocery store and write your name with sparklers to try to remember--who you are, why you are. Sometimes it turns out there's more than one of you, and reasons large and small to keep going.

Written with a darkly humorous voice and often-relatable references to everything from anxi
Avery (Book Deviant)
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4star
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

When you think about a book about the apocalypse, you think zombies or fiery meteors coming to destroy the earth, but you don't really think of the peaceable ambiance that Open Mic Night provides. It was extremely odd to read, because the word 'apocalypse' alone makes me think of horrendous deaths and destruction to every living animal. So, right off the bat, Meyers establishes a unique mood to a fairly common plot that has been a bit overdone.
Claudie Arseneault
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Open Mic is an uniquely atmospheric novella about what it means to be a survivor after a plague wiped out the world. It combines moments of deep sadness and introspection with incredibly tense scene, without ever resorting to gunfight-like action sequences. Dell's snappy sense of humour, her willingness to find beauty and hope in small things like her growing potato plant, just her general quirkiness and anxiety and narration ... I really loved being with her for the duration of this story.
Skye Kilaen
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-genre-scifi
I really liked this quiet short story about a young woman named Dell who survives a plague that kills most of humanity. It's a post-apocalyptic story about people instead of, you know, zombies or killer robots, and specifically about how people get up and keep going after trauma, how they remake themselves, and how they re-connect to other people. It also has the gritty logistical details that I always want from post-apocalyptic lit, such as where the food is coming from, what survivors are scav ...more
Jennifer Lee Rossman
I was given a free eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The apocalypse happens, and it's very boring. In fact, the main character missed it entirely and finds herself one of the only people left alive on Earth.
Though sad at times, this is adorable and funny and sweet. Like the show Last Man on Earth without all the fart jokes.
Ami
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Skye Kilaen

Pretty interesting read about end of the world. At first I was getting a bit bored when it was just Dell, but then John appeared, and well, I was more into it after there were two of them :)

PS: Not a romance though...
RoAnna Sylver
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
"It’s probably horrible to say, but there are times when I’m okay with the end of the world. I was never really that great with the real world. It was big and it was tough and it had a way of staring at me that made me want to hide. The world was one big game of Chicken and I was always the one that flinched first. I’m sure it wasn’t personal. But let’s face it, the world was an asshole.
So now I stand around at the graveside and say the words (He was a great friend. I’ll never forget him.
Lucille
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adverstised on twitter as "post-apocalyptic cat lady fiction", I was sold immediately and took the chance on reading this early. I didn’t have any big expectations appart from having a nice time. Spoiler alert: I did have a nice time!

We first meet Dell in her sad wandering around her desert city, after everyone has died or disappeared. She thinks about what might be happening elsewhere, who might be dead or alive, struggling to find food, and being rightfully anxious about her situation.

“There could be an/>“There"post-apocalyptic
Chasia Lloyd
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to review this quirky book about life after the end of the world, isolation, potato patches, and cats. It's funny, but it also makes you cycle through intense bouts of sadness and hope. Great debut from Jessica Meyers! Please enjoy some of my favorite lines that probably tell you more about the book than I can:

> That’s the thing about the End of the World. It doesn’t send out Save the Date cards before it destroys everything.

> He has a scruffy kind
Lilly Raines
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Filled with hope and witty one-liners, this post-apocalyptic novella had me at hello. The main character, Dell, is adorable in an anxiety-filled, eccentric kind of way (the best way, tbh). I absolutely loved being inside her head and seeing the end of the world through her eyes. Though the story is sad at times, Dell’s quirkiness kept it from falling into a dark pit of despair. I hope if I ever find myself in a post-apocalyptic world, I can laugh as often as I did while reading this book.

John w
Serena
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella is coming out on October 17th, be sure to give it a go!!!! Thank you so much to the author for trusting me with an ARC 💛

The greatest fucking thing in the world has to be when you don't expect much from a book but it ends up being amazing.

I can't say there's something about this novella that I didn't like. The writing style was relatable and fresh and hilarious and deep at the same time. It felt real. The vibes this gave off were A+, from the loneliness to the
Sidney Maris Hargrave
I read this book a while ago and it still sits with me. The atmosphere of a book is very important to me, and boy does this have it. I read it in one sitting AT NIGHT(a mistake, I was very anxious the whole time) because I could not put it down. I cried at this one. It was a good cry though, because everything about this book is excellent.
Anouchka
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it! It was a refreshing new take on the end of the world (so far as I've read) and it's chilling to read about. I read it in two takes and flew through it, the writing was so nice to read. Would definitely read something else from Meyers.
S.A. Crow
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book, sweet and calm even in the midst of terror. I loved Dell's voice, her observations and humor. And I was moved by the many ways the characters find to be creative and nurturing.
Sushi
Sep 11, 2018
Francieska Boyko
Oct 10, 2018

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • A Choir of Lies (A Conspiracy of Truths, #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Truths (A Conspiracy of Truths, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Full Disclosure
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • Ormeshadow
  • Magic for Liars
  • Are You Listening?
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • Diamond Heart (Cherrywood Grove #2)
“That’s the thing about the End of the World. It doesn’t send out Save the Date cards before it destroys everything.” 1 likes
“He has a scruffy kind of beard and he’s wearing a plaid shirt that together would look unbearably hipsterish if it wasn’t for the end of the world and all. Now all fashion bets are off.” 0 likes