Start by marking “Renegade (Black Dawn, #0)” as Want to Read:
Renegade (Black Dawn, #0)

Renegade

(Black Dawn #1)

“The time for Kiero’s reign in prosperity is over.”

Six years before the Black Dawn Rebellion, Adair Stratton and Emory Fae are following in their parent’s footsteps and living at The Academy, a home for those who are gifted. The pressure to uphold the future of their parent’s dream falls on them. An outcast and feared by most, Adair longs to break away from the expectation
Published August 21st 2018 by Clean Reads Publishing (first published February 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Renegade, please sign up.
Mallory McCartney Absolutely you can read it before and will be a great introduction to the characters further explored in Black Dawn. :)
Mallory McCartney Sorry about the late reply! You can find the ebook on amazon through kindle :)

Start your review of Renegade (Black Dawn, #0)
MischaS_
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For me, it is always a good test if an author publishes a prequel or 0,5 story if you can understand it without reading the first book in the series. It should be understood, but sometimes it misses the mark.
I did not read Black Dawn, it was in my to-read pile for a very long time, and I thought this might be a good place where to start. However, I found myself grasping and confused by the story and the
Candace Robinson
So, last night I did a reread of this book since there will be a prequel coming out after the summer, and my daughter will be out for summer break stopping me from doing anything! I also had to sit down ACOWAR for a bit after getting mad before I pick it back up! This book was even better the second time around, and I feel like the way the author describes things, I feel like I'm right there! Loved the characters, especially Brokk! He's my little precious baby that I want to hold and coddle. The ...more
Carrie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Black Dawn by Mallory McCartney is a young adult fantasy read with a touch of romance added into the story. A young woman has been living her life not knowing that she is from a distant land that is plagued in war until she is pulled right into the middle of it all. The story is told by alternating the point of view between several of the characters with each chapter in the book.

I can easily sum up my feelings with this one in one simple complaint, the book is relatively short so I don’t think i
Sheila Goicea
Reread 02/20/2019

description
"Years ago there was a girl with an unusual ability. Her name was Emory Fae."

Content Warning: Borderline possession? Violence
I think I may have underrated this book the first time around. While I found it enjoyable before, I found it doubly so this time through! Yes, this book is a little short for my liking. I cannot complain, though, because it is jammed packed full of goodness from start to finish. Especially finish. That's not a proper sentence, but whatever.

Due to this
Anja H.
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3 REBELLIOUS STARS*

The plot and world of Black Dawn sounded really interesting and unique when I read the blurb, but I honestly think the execution could have been better.

This story is about Emory Fae, a girl whisked away from her normal life and brought to an alternate world called Kiero, where she discovers she is basically a queen with superpowers. She joins the rebellion that tries to overthrow the evil current ruler.

Sounds interesting right? But because this book is extremely short and co
Candace Robinson
I loved this book and the world building so much! Also, I really liked the multiple POV points because I could get into each of the characters’ heads! Mallory knows how to write so well with dialogue that feels amazingly real!

Also, the boys! I love them all! Brokk is probably my favorite though! And I love Emory too! She’s strong and has to adjust to the things that have happened to her, but she finds a way to! Need the next book!
Dianne
What happened to destroy friendships, trusts and a land that once prospered? Mallory McCartney brings the story of the “before time” of her fabulous young adult fantasy, BLACK DAWN to life in RENEGADE! Although a “prequel,” this is a full-blown novel in its own merit and the world building, as well as the rest of the story is a thrilling ride through dark magic, deceit, secrets and loyalties tested beyond the breaking point.

All Adair, Emory, Brokk and Memphis wanted was the truth of what was hap
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this is the prequel to Black Dawn which I was ecstatic to read an ARC of! An excellent prequel that shows how a villain became a villain which was my favorite part! Plus I got to see other characters such as my favorite ... Brokk!!! The writing and the world building were amazing, and I seriously can’t wait for the sequel to Black Dawn!
Michelle
Heir of Lies  is the first book in a new adult fantasy Black Dawn series by Mallory McCartney. I have classified this book as new adult because the character are in their 20s, but the content is very clean so I can very easily see this also appealing to younger readers and lovers of young adult fantasies.The Black Dawn series is re- releasing and “Heir of Lies” (book one) is coming April 21 2020! This edition will ha
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog

*a copy was provided by NetGalley*

This book just proves how I judge a book by its cover. Black Dawn is gifted with such a mesmerizing cover, it is impossible not to catch your eye and make you want to know more about what lies beyond the cover.

Black Dawn is a very short dystopian/YA fantasy. It was slow go and confusing at the beginning, since it started in an awkward place and like 100 POVs. Honestly, this book has an interesting story. It has a very great concept too. It
Alycia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, thank you to Mallory McCartney for sending me an ARC of her book. It was a real pleasure to discover your world!

I have to say that at the beginning of the novel, I had some difficulties to understand where we were going. We are immediately put into the plot and we have to discover who is who and which role each character plays. Very quickly, the plot becomes really interesting and we finally understand how the characters are linked to each other. What I really like about this story
Nadine
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Black Dawn is a poorly constructed novel about a seemingly normal young woman pulled from her life into the middle of a rebellion.

The biggest issue with this novel is that everything is left vague or not explained. The world building is nonexistent, the magic system/abilities is poorly explained nor will it ever be explained since the characters themselves admit they don’t know where the magic comes from, and the history of the world itself is barely explained. The reader is then left with a sto
Mallory McCartney
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
#Allwillbeunmade 🖤
Sabrina
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Checkout my full review + giveaway on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

Black Dawn is an excellent short read. This story is told in 3 different perspectives and I found this to add more to the story. Each character is multifaceted. There was never a dull moment. Though I felt the ending was a bit rushed and I wished it was slowed down a bit. I would say this is a New Adult considering the age of the characters but those who normally read YA would enjoy Black Dawn.

There are so man
☆Stephanie☆
Title: Black Dawn
Author: Mallory McCartney
Publisher: Clean Reads Publishing, 2017 (February 14)
Genre: YA Fantasy

**I received a copy of this book free from Xpresso Reads and the author in exchange for an honest review**

This review can be found on my Blog, TeacherofYA’s Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review

Credit is definitely due for this amazingly beautiful cover, which sucked me in hardcore. It’s stunning. It’s why I emailed back and said, “Yes PLEASE” to this book.

I’m still torn about that de
Esther
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This book started out as a very promising read. Fast paced, with a wide variety of characters and an interesting new world. Towards the end, the book felt very rushed and I wished it would've been 100 pages longer, so some things would be explained a bit better. This book could've easily gotten 4 stars, if it didn't feel so rushed.

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

Not a bad book, I liked the different POV's and the world was very promising as well. The story felt rushed at the endin
Natalia
I was given a free copy of this by the fabulous and sweet author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you again, Mal, for giving me the chance to read your amazing debut novel. It was brilliant!

Here we go!

”To have lost everything but have hope to rebuild the future is the strongest weapon in the world.”

Emory Fae is the last living heir of the Fae family, and the answer to the Academy’s problems with one man—nay, self-proclaimed (mad) king of Kiero, a planet with people who have extraordin
Melleny
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.75 Stars **

If you would like to see all my thoughts on this book, be sure to check out the review on my blog:

www.abooktropolis01.blogspot.co.za

But here is a snippet and overview of what I thought:

Overall, I really really enjoyed this book and found myself flying through it. There was definitely a hiccup or two but I think that it will be resolved in the prequel as well as the sequel that is coming out middle of this year and the start of next year respectively. I am excited to see how the auth
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
This was so good! What an awesome fantasy! It's an adult book because the characters are older but I can definitely see YA crossover appeal! I need book 2 now!!
Dianne
She was taken from her world, her memories wiped and false ones inserted, then they returned for her. Two warriors from a land filled with magic, war and evil. Emory Fae didn’t know it, but she was going home to be a savior of her people, her kingdom. Friends will become enemies, deception will rear its ugly head and a hidden band of young warriors will rise to try to save the lives they once knew from a twisted and powerful ruler who had betrayed them all. The war has begun and hope may be thei ...more
Mallory McCartney
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Black Dawn series is re- releasing and “Heir of Lies” (book one) is coming April 21 2020! This edition will have an exclusive map and bonus content!
Mandy Lai
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Combination of Modern, Future and Barbarians
4.8/5 stars

Black Dawn is about this girl from a modern world, suddenly was taken by soldiers form another world. She was then discovered to be the heir of the another world. However it is already shattered and people are suffering.

I really like the character developments of the book, everyone are so flawed. That's what a reader needs, flawed characters. I really hate perfect characters they're so annoying. Despite how awesome the characters are,they'
Anja H.
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
*3 PREQUEL STARS*

I just noticed the author republished and rebranded this series and this prequel no longer exists. I think that's a good idea since this could very well have been a standalone novel.
Anyway, I got these through Netgalley a while back and still had to review these.
Overall not a bad book, loved the premise and it gave way more background information on the characters. I still didn't particularly like any of them though.
The pacing was way off in my opinion.

Received a free copy of
Nildene
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, okay, I thought this was a pretty good find.

Some technical things I was not expecting was that the entire book was shorter than any other fantasy I'd read (not including novellas, of course) and because of this we don't really see a lot of world-building or character development – I guess what it lacked in those areas, it made up for in being very fast-paced and action-packed with plenty of plot twists. It kept me engaged, though I think it would have still benefitted from maybe a bit more
Ri v
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars* I received a free copy for the blog tour! Come join the tour and giveaway on my blog!
Byron
Jun 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF

I could not keep up with the characters, (as they were not very well portrayed), and the plot felt very loose and all over the place.
Floryie
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I didn't get the symbolism of the book cover till the end when Memphis meets the raiders. I too was in awe of the surprise and the author's writing. She knows how to add the sneaky twist here and there to keep me on my toes.

Usually the blurb is what makes me pick up a book. But this one's synopsis was kind of general with only a few intrigue points. The cover was what made me take a chance and I am glad of that!! I have fallen in love with the characters and the world built around them.

The begin
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

This book is a lot of fun !, I'm surprised, I've found a great story with an amazing amount of diverse characters and alot of magic.

4/5 Stars

You can find this one and more of my reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

In general, you never know what you'll find when you read a short book, much less if it's fantasy. Of course the lack of development of the world can be a problem, in this case I would have liked to know a little bit more, but even so, I don't think that this has affected at all my en
Lauren
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
Note: Received a review copy of this book via Rockstar Book Tours. This in no way influences my opinion.

After reading that blurb, I was definitely looking forward to reading this book. However, the book was found lacking and I actually ended up DNFing it! I felt so bored reading this book and I felt so detached from everything that was happening.

From the very first page, we are literally thrown into this world that we know nothing about. There are issues we know nothing about and I feel like the
Cheryl
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in this series. The author does a great job of transporting the reader into the this world of Kiero. From the beginning to the middle and finally the end, there was non stop action. Plus, all of the characters were strong. This included Emory. Once, she got over her initial shock of learning she is the true heir to the throne. I liked that Emory didn't question everything in disbelief. The story felt natural with the flow and all of the events that took place within the st ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Monster Hypothesis
  • When Stars Are Bright
  • What I Want You to See
  • Mageborn
  • Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel
  • The Unblessed Child (The Blessed Chronicles, #1)
  • House of Dragons (House of Dragons, #1)
  • Longbourn: Dragon Entail: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 2)
  • Netherfield: Rogue Dragon: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 3)
  • A Declaration of the Rights of Magicians
  • The Celestial Assignment
  • Real Pigeons Fight Crime
  • The Die of Death: The Great Devil War II
  • The Ranger of Marzanna (The Goddess War, #1)
  • Unfollow Me
  • Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)
  • Magic Required (Wizard for Hire, #3)
Mallory McCartney currently lives in Sarnia, Ontario with her husband and their three dachshunds Link, Lola and Leonard. When she isn’t working on her next novel or reading, she can be found day dreaming about fantasy worlds and hiking. Other favorite pastimes involve reorganizing perpetually overflowing bookshelves and seeking out new coffee and dessert shops.

Black Dawn (4 books)
  • Queen to Ashes (Black Dawn #2)
  • Kingdom of Broken Iron (Black Dawn #3)
  • The Cursed Throne (Black Dawn #4)