Start by marking “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

(The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

THE TALE OF MR. JEREMY FISHER

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher, like Peter Rabbit, began life as an illustrated letter to a young child. It was written when Beatrix Potter was on holiday in Scotland where her father and his friends enjoyed fishing expeditions. Mr. Jeremy has a day full of the worst fisherman's mishaps when he sets out to catch minnows for his dinner.
Published September 16th 2002 by Penguin Group (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

Emma
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, childrns
Butterfly and ladybird sandwiches....yum!
Ronyell
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beatrix Potter fans!!
For my entire life, I have been reading Beatrix Potter's works and I had enjoyed most of the ones I had read! Now, I had picked up an old classic from my childhood, “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher.” In this tale, Mr. Jeremy Fisher, a distinguished frog, begins having the adventure of a lifetime when he goes out to fish for minnows for his dinner. “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher” is a delightful tale that every child will enjoy forever!

There once lived a frog named Mr. Jeremy Fisher who lived in a
Calista
I've never heard of Jeremy Fisher and I loved this little story. It had a surprise even for me. The kids found this a fun little story too. The nephew loved the frog pictures. Jeremy Fisher is a frog and he spends a day fishing. I love the art in this one too. Great story. Worth picking up.
Bambi Moore
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
In a thrift store recently, I found more Beatrix Potter stories that we have never read. This is brilliant children's literature. When a nine-year-old is challenged to narrate it, and a three-year-old giggles along fully engaged with the story, you know you've got a winner on your hands. Three cheers for Jeremy Fisher! And three cheers for butterfly sandwiches with ladybird sauce!
GoldGato
Beatrix Potter's books always appealed to me because food was always involved. I grew up fervently believing in rabbits and mice and frogs having well stocked larders within their homes. And the tea! Always a hot cuppa waiting on the table for the protagonists when they completed their adventures.

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher comes complete with food, adventure, friends...and a well stocked larder. Butterfly sandwiches and roasted grasshoppers abound. And there's also Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoi
Prashant
Mar 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-book
A frog named Jeremy decides to go for fishing but rather ends up being attacked by a stickleback and a trout. What’s the stuff here about a lizard being named Isaac Newton. Is there some irony here that I am not able to see?
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Linda
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Every Potter book just convinces me further - love love love the illustrations. Boring and/or scary stories tho. (My kids have never been able to sit through one of her books either)
Reenie
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favourite Beatrix Potter story for a long long time - which is amusing now seeing that I work with frogs. Which makes you notice different things when you go back and read them later. Unlike most children's authors writing about animals, she managed to anthropomorphise animals while still retaining the point about the animal. Jeremy Fisher may be wearing a mackintosh and galoshes, but he's quite obviously still a frog, and he behaves like one (although he doesn't sing, sadly). T ...more
Mimi
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-children
This one seemed like it might especially appeal to boys. Although I don't know why frogs seem like a more boy thing to me. The drawings of the frogs were beautiful. And the newt was really cool, too. I loved the "macintosh and goloshes." It seems like no one dresses for rainy weather anymore. Maybe it's because we just rush from our cars into buildings (and vice versa) and never spend any time out in the rain.
From BBC School Radio:
One very wet morning Mr Jeremy Fisher, the frog, goes fishing for some tasty minnows for a dinner party. So begins a day of dramatic mishaps for Jeremy Fisher, but at least he has a story to share with his friends at dinner...
Ilze
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ilze by: Faye Lewis
Maybe I expected more of Beatrix Potter because my childhood imagination had blown it all out of perspective. Now that I'm reading her as an adult I'm disappointed.
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
Epic fail fishing for Mr. Jeremy, haha! I wonder what butterfly sandwich taste like. hmmmm!!
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
of all the bad luck one frog can have
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun and delightful book from the mind of Beatrix Potter.
April
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are quite good; the story is very simple: Mr. Jeremy Fisher is a frog who tries to go fishing for minnows to serve as supper for his friends. Instead; he nearly gets eaten by a trout! (view spoiler) It was pretty silly how the ending line is the author making a declaration about the quality of the meal the 3 friends DID end up eating... cute and quick to read if you find yourself coming across it but I wouldn't go ou ...more
Sam
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A frog named Mr. Jeremy Fisher experiences a series of fishing trip setbacks, while attempting to catch enough food for a dinner party with friends. This is a self-contained story which does not feature any cameos from other Peter Rabbit characters. Equally interesting is the narrator's single personal comment to readers about Mr. Fisher's choice of food for dinner, as this breaks the story's previous third-person narration. Readers seeking a comedic story about thwarted plans and making due wit ...more
Luisa Knight
Another delightful tale!

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Sara Jesus
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Animais ligados as águas. Gostei especialmente do sapo e da tartaruga
Leigha
I decided to do some rereads of Beatrix Potter. I loved them as a child, and still enjoy them as an adult.
Shahrzad
این چهار قصه کلاسیک خانم پاتر، که بیشتر از صد سال پیش نوشته شدهاند، خیلی عجیب و خشن هستند،(با توجه به اینکه مخاطبشان قرار بوده کودکان باشند)
بیشتر شبیه قصههایی هستند که احتمالا در دارلاتادیبهای مخوف برای بچهها تعریف میکردند.
Allison
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 BYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Beatrix Potter's children's stories are wonderful and timeless. The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher is one of her lesser well-known stories of which there are about a dozen.

The story is engaging and Mr. Jeremy is an intriguing fellow. Parts of his house are always wet and "he liked getting his feet wet; nobody ever scolded him and he never caught a cold!" Children are always being told not to get their feet wet (sometimes they're told they'll get a cold if they do). This, along with a host of things
HoopoeGirl
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the book that taught me crazy British words, like macintosh and galoshes. To this day I still think Mr. Jeremy looks pretty ridiculous in his too-tight rain coat. Must've been a relief when that fish gnawed it off him and his toady skin could breath again. Speaking of toads, this story is also the reason why for years I thought the Adventures of Frog and Toad was written by Beatrix Potter. Oh, well.
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Because Bruce Handy says the scene in which Jeremy is eating a butterfly sandwich is 'proto-psychedelic... [for] opium eaters." I don't see it myself. It's just a silly adventure with some nice pictures of water lilies, trout, etc. I do like Sir Isaac Newton, Fisher's friend the newt, and wish he had a speaking part.
Timendu
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two stars for story - I felt very meh about it. I did like the bit where (view spoiler)
One extra star for illustration. Pretty. Rich. Vivid.
Three stars in all.

Second read: Four stars.
I guess I'm in a different head-space today. It came off more sweet and whimsical this time. And of course, I love the illustrations.
Katie
Apr 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: faiths-books
What is it about this book that's a bit disturbing? Is it the meal of a butterfly sandwich or the one with ladybird sauce (ick). I remember reading this book as a child and the wave of nausea came over me again when I picked it up for Faith...20-some years later. I made Steve read it to her last night, he had never read it before. It left him with an unsettling feeling, too, ha:)
Meg McGregor
The tale of a gentlemen. Mr. Jeremy Fisher, who tries to catch fish for a dinner party.

A slow plot, and lots of difficult vocabulary, make this one of Ms. Potter's least favorite book to me.

I understand all the vocabulary of course; but little ones, who are the target audience, may or may not.
Gerrit
jacky
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
After reading a couple Beatrix Potter books I thought were duds, I enjoyed this one. It wasn't bogged down in too many outdated details and it had a nice little plot. Cute moral of always wearing your raincoat :)
Emkoshka
Not a fan of frogs or fish, this is my least favourite of Beatrix Potter's tales.
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Pumpkin Soup
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • Barbapapa
  • Ernest and Celestine
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a wealthy household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of landsc

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • The Tailor of Gloucester (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny