Start by marking “The Me I Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
The Me I Meant to Be

The Me I Meant to Be

Girl Code: Never date a friend’s ex.

Willa Evans has no intention of breaking the code. So what if she’s always secretly loved her next-door neighbor Zach? As her best friend’s boyfriend, he was always off-limits and it needs to stay that way, even though they just broke up. Even though every time she turns around he’s there, tempting her…

No keeping secrets from your bes
Published January 1st 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Me I Meant to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Me I Meant to Be

C.G. Drews
It definitely had cute moments, but overall it felt just too insipid for me. [awkward pause] It's dual-narrated story about Willa and Flor (besties) and how Willa breaks the girl-code and starts dating Flor’s ex. While Flor’s failing school, her dad is negligent and awful, and she’s falling for her hot tutor dude. SO. Honestly the entire premise is fluff and romance — which isn’t strictly my thing. But it was a surprise ARC and I was curious so \_(ツ)_/

➸ I do like how the book calls out a lot of
Stacee
I requested this one so long ago and now that it’s time to read it, I’m not sure why I wanted to read it.

Willa and Flor were not the best MCs for me. There was a lot of potential, but I didn’t care for either of their inner monologues and struggled to care for their story line. I didn’t quite see why they were friends. As for the boys, they were sort of lackluster.

Plot wise, it was fairly dramatic. There are a lot of things going on and some issues felt glossed over {like the sister clearly be
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Oh! Matters of the heart can be so complicated, especially when your heart is being torn in two. Willa's two best friends had dated, unsuccessfully, and though, in her mind, she knew she shouldn't want more with Zach, her heart wouldn't listen.

• Pro: This story kept me in its clutches! I had to keep reading, because I was just too invested in the outcome to stop.

• Pro: Jordan created some amazing chemistry between Flor & Grayson and Willa & Zach. There was no doubt in m
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

I didn’t know what to expect when I first started reading this book. I just knew that it was Sophie Jordan writing it and I needed to read it. So I started the story without any expectations really and I was sucked into this book fast.

Willa and Flor’s friendship is your typical best friends’ relationship you can imagine; they do a lot together, tell each other almost anything and have each other’s back no matter what. Everything we are taught that best
Jen Ryland
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is not as engaging as I hoped but I am going to press on for the good of my GR 2018 goal....

UPDATE: Finally finished this. It had some good aspects but others I wasn't so crazy about. I liked Flor's story a lot - all the drama and tension was in her parts of the story. Willa and Zach were sort of blah (I was more interested in Willa's sister) and I didn't get Zach's appeal at all.

This story was supposed to be about female friendship and "the girl code" but since most of the book is about ea
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

The Me I Meant to Be read like two love stories with some crossovers here and there. I liked that the book touched on a lot of possible teen issues but I wish they were more deeply explored.

The book wasn't so much about friendship but seeing two different relationships play out. From a romance point of view I really enjoyed The Me I Meant to Be. But from a friendship viewpoint the story left a lot to be desired.

Willa and Flor are best friends but they hardly had any scenes together. The
nick
3.5/5

Sophie Jordan's books have this incredible addictive quality to them, so I'm always pulled towards her stories. I was in the mood for a dramatic type of contemporary YA when I stumbled upon The Me I Meant to Be. My interest was only heightened when I discovered the book is the story of two friends. As with Jordan's previous novels, this book was easy to dive into.

The book told the story of Flor and Willa, two best friends and the emotional upheaval they face in their senior year of high sc
Trianna
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was fun and cute to read. It is told in dual POV between two best friends, but I really preferred Flor's plot line. I liked Willa's family plot line, but her romantic one was annoying. I am not a huge fan the trope of best friends liking/dating the same guy and that is what Willa's plot revolves around. It was strange to me that Willa and Flor rarely hung out, for two people who are best friends it seemed odd. The ending felt off to me and is wrapped up in an odd way.

But, it was a cut
Debbie Gilvin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved reading this book. it was a page Turner for sure, and I just fell in love with the characters, I'm really hoping for a sequel. if you like romance and a little bit of drama you should pick it up.
Billie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
This needed a lot more pages to reach truly satisfying conclusions for all the character relationships. Dana was not very kind or loving toward Flor and was obviously manipulating Flor's dad, but one brief conversation and Flor thinks Dana's not so bad? Willa's sister Chloe has serious issues (depression and possibly addiction), but she has one conversation with Willa and makes one trip to the grocery store and now everything's going to be okay? I'm not sure if this book was supposed to be about ...more
Ivy Valentiny
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
(3.5-3.75)
Fans of Jenny Han and Maurene Goo this is a novel for you. Romance, friendship, and family are all major aspects of this story. Nicely pieced together.
Shoshana G
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, romance
The Willa/Zach plot was very relatable and sympathetic. However, I found the Flor/Grayson stuff a little silly. His secret identity was ridiculous. Plus, Dana's villainy was over the top and the attempt near the end to rehabilitate her a little was too little too late. This was fine. I probably would've enjoyed it in middle school or early high school. There just wasn't much there.

I read an e-ARC through NetGalley.
Kristina Birch
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much more than a YA romance!
The Me I Meant to Be is the story of Willa and Flor navigating their senior year of high school while also dealing with real life, family, and love. The Girl Code edicts that head each chapter are so spot on and are what took this from being “just a YA romance” to a book that will resonate with every reader regardless of age or gender identification.
This story is very much the sum of its parts from the exploration of first and unexpected loves, to dealing with pa
Janelle Hackbarth
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I got an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley next change for a review.

What first drew me to this book is the two love stories in one concept. I liked the idea that Willa had to struggle with realizing she had feelings for her best friend's ex boyfriend; and that Flor was struggling between wanting her tutor or wanting to get back together with her ex.

Willa felt relatable. She struggled with not just her feelings, but how her relationship was with her older sister, Chloe, after she (Chloe)
Lisa Mandina
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it. I have been a fan of the author, Sophie Jordan, for a long time, ever since I read her book, Uninvited. I've read several other books by her since then, but this was the first YA from her in awhile it seemed. While visiting the different publisher booths at ALA last summer, when I saw this one I immediately had to ask if they had a copy I could read. It was one of my unicorn ARCs that I was very happy to take home with me from New Orle ...more
Karen Barber
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Flor and Willa have been best friends for ever and know everything about each other, or at least they think they do.
In love with her next door neighbour, Zach, Willa can’t reveal her feelings because he’s dated her best friend. Flor feels abandoned by her mother who barely talks to her and her father who’s got a new girlfriend. Failing school she gets a new tutor, Grayson, and...of course...he’s attractive and ends up helping her see a lot more about herself/her situation than she expected.
A rea
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Me I Meant to Be by Sophie Jordan
Published by: HMH Teen
Pub Date: January 1, 2019
Rating: 4.5 Stars

One of the best YA contemporaries I read this year. I loved the struggles, friendships, romance and coming to realize what you really want and not settling. I only wish their had maybe been more of an epilogue.
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

Leah
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Though this was an easy, one-sitting read, there was SO much either glossed over or completely ignored (view spoiler).
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this as an eARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Told from alternate perspectives of Willa and Flor, these two are going to have to navigate their way through girl code, when the love of a boy comes into question. Willa has always lived next door to the extremely handsome and popular Zach. She never thought she could ever be in his league, so she just let her crush stay a crush and helped her best friend, Flor, date him. Now that Zach and Flor have broken up, Flor is tr
Raquel
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kim
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time putting this book down, it was reliving high school all over. It’s an honest real life story.
Shelee at Book Reader Chronicles
**4.5 Stars**

The Me I Meant to Be perfectly captured the bonds of friendship with the realities of love and family in its dual intertwining stories. Jordan excelled at distinguishing both the voices and the different lives of Flor and Willa while keeping their journeys connected. Their struggles with balancing home life and the societal pressures of high school were illustrated so beautifully that they felt vivid and equally as painful, and I couldn’t help but fall into their imperfect lives.

T
Bickering Book Reviews
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlY5...

This was a solid YA romance however the two parts of the book felt a little uneven with Flor's storyline needing more pages to better flush out the story. There is potential for this to be a great book but it just didn't quite get there.

We received eARCs of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kelli Spear
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Isabel
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read by this author, and was drawn in by Sophie B Jordan’s ability to make the reader feel the sexual tension and chemistry between characters. She writes some really steamy scenes!

This book is about love and friendship and the complications that can arise when trying to abide by “girl code.” You will feel invested in both main characters, rooting for them as they stumble through life.
Makenna Fournier
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, contemporary
I definitely have mixed feelings on this book.
On the positive side, this was a really fast paced book, it was very easy to fly through, and there were some things that I really liked, like how Willa stood up against slut shaming and the double standard that girls have for being interested in sex, I 100% am here for that.
On the both positive and negative side was the dual point of view. What I was surprised by was the fact that I actually enjoyed both of them, which usually is not the case fo
Jessica
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC! I am a sucker for these kinds of stories. I liked the characters and the split between the two narrators that showed their unique stories and how they also came together. I also really just liked Zach and Willa. I cannot say this book was perfect, though. I do not think the graphic make-out was necessary, and I think there is a lot of teenage annoyance in here, but I felt like they were pretty realistic overall. I can see teens liking this one. I did not like how ...more
Sprinkled Pages
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I literally finished this book in one sitting, it was sooo addictive!

The premise of this sounded super interesting and I have really been in a fun and easy-to-read contemporary mood so this was a perfect book for what I needed.

However, I wasn't really wowed by it! It wasn't super special, it was quite cliche and I think the romance between Willia and Zach wasn't well developed at all! They really didn't have much chemistry and I can't say that I was swooning over Zach - s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merge Two Books 2 14 Apr 08, 2018 06:54AM
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years