Start by marking “Once a King (A Clash of Kingdoms, #3)” as Want to Read:
Once a King (A Clash of Kingdoms, #3)

Once a King

(Clash of Kingdoms #3)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Aodren: A lonely, young king, searching for a way to dismantle his father’s dark legacy.

Lirra: A girl with the power to control the wind, torn between duty and following her dreams

For twenty years, Channelers—women with a magical ability—have been persecuted in Malam by those without magic. Now King Aodren wants to end the bloody divide and unite his kingdom. But decades o
Expected publication: December 4th 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Once a King, please sign up.

Cait • A Page with a View
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, 2018-arcs
This is everything I love about YA fantasy! The story takes place after the events of Ever the Hunted and Ever the Brave, but you don't necessarily need to have read those first. (Obviously it would make this book more fun because a lot of familiar faces are back... but you could still follow and enjoy this story on its own!)

The book description's well done, so I won't add much to that. The story's told through the split POVs of Lirra and Aodren, both of whom have unique personalities that total
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
alksdfja;lsdkfja;sdkfj I AM SO READY I CAN'T DEAL.

I'm still a mess of feels from Ever the Brave. I need this. I need it.

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy
Dianne
Together, two unlikely allies will try to bring in a new world of peace and trust while righting the wrongs of the past. As the young king, Aodren and a young channeler, Lirra struggle with their emotions, the political machinations of the kingdom and the people’s fear of magic in any form, they will uncover who is behind the black market version of a magical healing potion. But will they be in time to save its victims?

Told in two POVs, Erin Summerill takes us into another world in ONCE A KING w
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
2/12/18
Cover reveal and synopsis has been shared, my friends! Can't say I'm in love with it but it is reminiscent of the original duology. Although I do like the bit on the cover that says, "One secret can corrupt a realm"

Also, my boy Aodren is in fact back! Along with Lirra, who I also liked from the original, so hopefully, this will be better than its predecessor.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Sidenote: I feel an Aodren and Lirra pairing coming on, and I'm game.
---
OMG, is my dear Aodren finally going to get a story all
Luca
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The nation of Malam has been divided for years as its people without magical abilities oppressed and harassed those who are magically gifted called Channelers. Now that there is a new king, the young King Aodren, the nation finds itself standing at a crossroads. King Aodren wants to reunite the people of his country, but cannot do so alone. His people, on the other hand, are still wary of one another. Luckily Aodren gets unexpected help from Lirra, a girl who has every reason to fear standing up ...more
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Feb 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Dear Aodren is getting his own novel? Sign me up. I'm still team Cohen though. ;)

description
Kathryn Purdie
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy when I found out Erin Summerill would be writing another book in the same world as EVER THE HUNTED, and the read did not disappoint, even with my super high expectations. King Aodren was one of my favorite characters from EVER THE BRAVE, and I'm so happy he got his own story--and such an amazing one! I highly recommend this book!
Sara Larson
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved learning more about these characters and this world! Erin has done it again with another fantastic book!! I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
Pintip Dunn
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prepare your heart for the swooniest king in all the lands! WIth poignant prose and intricate worldbuilding, ONCE A KING casts its spell from the very first pages. Fly - don't walk - to sweep up this soaring tale.
Stacie (Shy Book Nerd)
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was by far my favorite in the series. I know it’s technically a spin-off from the first two books, but it felt more like a final ending to the series. I think I also liked this a lot more because it was about my favorite character, Aodren. I loved him and I was glad to see him fight for his cause for peace. That and I liked that he had a love interest that wasn’t just one sided. He needs some love in his life, haha. Overall, I felt this was a good conclusion to the loose ends from the last ...more
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
I ADORED this book. How can one not fall with King Aodren and Lirra? They are both such great characters that I helplessly fell in love with. I SHIP THEM ALL THE WAY, OKAY? As someone who never agreed to Aodren being with the other character from Ever the Brave, I am super glad Erin Summerill had other plans for Aodren.

BUT NOW I NEED MORE. I need more of Lirra and Aodren, it cannot possibly be the end!!! And I *think* there might be more so YAYYYYY.

To keep it short and sweet: READ ONCE A KING.
fairylightsandbooks ( Aino )
I need it right now!!!
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I can't believe I'm planning on doing this to myself..

Rae
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, bt-e-book, fiction
Once a King by Erin Summerill leaves off where Ever the Brave left off. With King Aodren in control of the kingdom, he works to fight off the reputation his father left behind. Lirra, a channeler with the power to control the wind, finds her life entangled with King Aodren's. They must work together to forge a new path in a divided nation.

Unfortunately I was woefully disappointed by this book. I really enjoyed Ever the Brave, but Once a King felt shallow and uninspired. I had a time engaging in
Nicole (FearYourEx)
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars!

I received Once a King as an e-galley from the publisher via NetGalley.

I liked that the story of Once a King takes place so soon after the events of Ever the Hunted, yet does not include Britta. She is mentioned a couple times but isn't in the book. Which I think was a great idea to have her off on her own enjoying her happily ever after.

At first I wasn't the biggest fan of Aodren but as the story progressed I started to like him more and more. I liked that even though he's a long he's
Jessie Humphries
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and I love this third book! It was really interesting to explore this world even more than we have done before. I highly recommend this fantasy.
Brianna
Jan 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
I NEED MORE INFORMATION
Samantha Brody
It may be that this just doesn’t work that well as a stand-alone (I didn’t read the first two books) but I struggled to keep track of the multiple kingdoms and I kept wishing the stakes were higher than they actually were?

The romance was sweet though.

**ARC was provided by publisher via NetGalley & did not affect the content of this review**
Yvonne Olson
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m sure the book got better as it went, but I couldn’t get myself to open it up and read more of it. No matter how hard I tried or how many times I opened it, I could tread more than a page or two before closing it.
thebookiv
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first two installments of this series we're nothing remarkable, in my opinion. So Once a King was read pretty much as a standalone, with little to low expectations and it turned out to be a fantastic, fun and enjoyable read!

Aodren is a young King trying to enact change. Lirra is well-versed in the art of espionage. These two have incredible chemistry, great dialogue, life matters of purpose, and a friendship that tumbles and crests as we cross our fingers and hope it turns into something mo
Kim Merrick
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once a King is the third book in the Clash of Kingdoms Series, but you do not have to read the first two books in order to read this one. This book takes place sometime after the time period of the first two books, and other than a few minor references to events in the first two books, it is pretty well set up to be read as a standalone book! However, I personally thought it was fun to have read the other books prior to this book because some well loved characters are back in this one and it’s f ...more
Audrey
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once a King was a truly incredible companion novel. This book is set after the events of Ever the Brave. While it’s possible to read this without having read the other books, you’ll get a better sense of all the characters involved if you have. I was really excited to get more from Aodren’s point of view because I’ve been cheering for him since Ever the Hunted. I loved the way we got to see the country of Malam trying to recover from years of fear and prejudice. This book was filled with the soc ...more
Leslie
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another book from my favorite YA author!!! I absolutely loved the previous books Erin Summerill - everything she writes is awesome! I have even given the first two books away as gifts to friends and family.
Elena Martinez
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am basically stupid excited for this to come!!
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Once a King (Clash of Kingdoms #3) by Erin Summerill, 448 pages. Houghton Mifflin, DECEMBER 2018. $18.

Language: PG (19 swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: PG (some blood)

MS, HS – ESSENTIAL

After saving her friend Orli from the clutches of the evil regent of Malam and helping King Aodren gain control of his throne from said regent, Lirra is ready to go back to Shaerden and work with her father as an information gatherer, or spy. But her father is off on a highly sensitive assignment that
Meghan
Sep 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: library
I have been waiting for the arrival of this book since I finished Ever the Brave two years ago and all of our teen readers have fallen in love with the Clash of the Kingdoms series and can not stop talking about it.

Once a King continues with Adoren and now the King that wants to destroy the dark legacy of his father and bring peace to his kingdom. Then we have Lirra a descendant of the Channelers with the power of wind set with a mission and duty to fullfill her family's prophecy. Adoren and Lir
Susie
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, goofy me, I read this one out of order. Like, completely out of order because it became available on NetGalley. Anyhow, I dug it! I like flawed characters and, while these 2 were a bit pretty for my tastes, they were definitely flawed! And they made me want to read like crazy! I finished it in the middle of re-reading another series and it proved to be exactly the break I needed. I plan to look for other stuff by this author, as I like the flow of her books.
Sam Butler
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stunning, just like the previous two books set in this world.
Kat
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc, excellent
Once a King reminds the reader that fantasy reigns supreme right now! Erin Summerill has a wonderful series with The Clash of Kingdoms. The characters and setting bring young and older readers into the story. I love the romance sprinkled through, but the politics is my favorite part.
« previous 1 3 next »
Erin Summerill was born in England. After spending years bouncing between Air Force bases in Hawaii, England, and California, her family settled in Utah, where Erin graduated with a B.A. in English from Brigham Young University. She had aspirations to write the next great American novel, but writing proved tougher than she first thought. So she grabbed a Nikon and became a professional photographe ...more

Clash of Kingdoms (3 books)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Ever the Brave (A Clash of Kingdoms #2)
“All you need is to be a voice. A voice loud enough to start a storm.” 0 likes