Start by marking “Click” as Want to Read:
Click

Click

A debut graphic novel about friendship and finding where you "click" in school.

Olive wants to get in on the act . . .
. . . Any act!

Olive “clicks” with everyone in the fifth grade—until one day she doesn’t. When a school variety show leaves Olive stranded without an act to join, she begins to panic, wondering why all her friends have already formed their own groups . . . w
Published January 8th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Click, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tim O'neill
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lorraine
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute middle grade graphic novel! I loved the story and the artwork. Olive was such a likeable character and I can't wait for the next book in this series!
Raina
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Raina Telgemeier fans are going to eat this up.
I took this out to local elementary schools in May/June 2019, and many kids asked me to talk about this one - kids totally gravitate to the cover.

The illustrations are super accessible, full-color, easy to follow, tell the story well. There were a few moments when I wanted the illustrations to rest in a moment a little longer - i.e. go to a full-page panel for something, but it was mostly very effective. The cast is realistically diverse, and
Hilda
Places, everyone...Olive just wants to find hers.

This was such a cute books and I loved Olive's #HomeTeam her true click, her family. Family was big in this story. It was so evident that they loved each other and were always going to help each other. I loved her mom and aunt. How different they were and would still, as adults, would fight. It was both real and endearing. They would fight but also loved each other very much. And they loved Olivia and her brother Simon just as much if not more.

Ol
Lana
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this graphic novel! This book took me right back to my middle grade years and the roller coaster of emotions that ensues middle school! Olive’s fifth grade class is having a talent show and all her friends have paired off with other kids for their act, leaving Olive on her own. As everyone continues to practice for their act, Olive feels more and more alone.
I think so many middle graders can relate to the emotions that Olive goes through. Some days you feel on top of the world with the
Melki
The fifth grade talent show is coming up soon, and Olive is worried that none of her classmates have asked her to team up for an act. Does she have the guts to fly solo, or should she try to join in with a group that may not want her?

description

This is a fine graphic for youngsters about cliques, friendship, and self-discovery. It is Miller's debut novel, and both her story and artwork are top-notch. I'm looking forward to much, much more from this talented young artist.
Rod Brown
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Very obviously targeted toward elementary school readers, this is a very effective story about a fifth grader dealing with cliques, the feeling of being left out, and the desire to fit in. I saw on the last page a second volume is already planned, so I've put it on hold it at the library.
Jenn Marshall
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-comics
Click isn't really my type of story, but I can see my 6th graders living this book. It's the story of Olive, she has tons of friends but when it is time for the 5th grade variety show all of her friends have plans and no one has asked her to join their group. It's a story of her finding her way and still being true to herself. A super cute story.
Iman
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this book was ok because some things I liked but a lot of things I didn’t but something that I liked about the book book that Olive was left out out but she found a way to get over it.
Jill Kenna
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable graphic novel about wanting to fit in with your friends and trying to find your own path! I loved Olive's aunt Molly, she was a great adult that Olive had in her life.
Susan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Pros: It's a very nice depiction of the life of a 5th grader who is well liked by everyone in class, but doesn't have a special friend or group. Loved the character of the aunt who listens to her and helps her find inspiration. The naggy mom rang true. Cons: It's very very basic, and could be unrelatable for kids who are not universally liked (which is many, many kids). Just too happy-go-lucky for me. Needs even a taste of drama.

This low-stakes book is a good match for kids in 2-5th
Marathon County Public Library
Olive seems to be friends with everyone in her 5th grade class. She has friends on the bus, in science class, and on the playground. When Mr. Florez announces the annual 5th Grade Variety Show, Olive is ecstatic! Before she knows it, everyone seems to have a group for the variety show, except Olive. Olive realizes she doesn't belong to a clique. While Olive is friends with everyone, she realizes she hasn't "clicked" with anyone in particular and doesn't have a best friend.

With some help from he
vanessa
Definitely would recommend this to young children who ask for Raina Telgemeier read-a-likes. This was missing a spark for me, but I think the idea is very believable and relatable for elementary-aged children (where do I fit in? is it better to have many acquaintances or one best friend?). The illustrations are cute. I would read the next book in the series.
Michelle
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olive is super excited about her class' variety show, but she feels in the lurch when all her friends pair off to create their own acts and no one asks her to be a part of their group. Olive has never felt like she's lacking friends, so why do none of them want her in their group?

I wasn't sure about this when I first started, but it really grew on me! I liked Miller's approach to middle school social dynamics and "cliques" - instead of a story where a girl is isolated because she *doesn't* have
Misti
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Olive is the kind of kid who gets along with everyone. She has a group of friends she sits with on the bus, a different group she eats with in the cafeteria, and another group she plays with at recess. What she doesn't have is a specific best friend. And this hasn't been an issue . . . until the fifth grade variety show comes along, and everyone seems to have a group act, except for Olive. She doesn't want to have to ask to be included in someone's group, and she really doesn't want her mom to c ...more
Allison Wysong
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A very cute story about a girl with loads of friends, but no real best friend, and what that means when it's time for the school's variety show. I love the friendships and family relationships in this book. They're warm and kind and the conflict isn't the usual "I don't have any friends" sort. It's nice to see a different sort of friendship complication tackled and in such a cute way.

I don't expect this one to sit on the shelf for long at all!
Destiny Henderson
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cute, light-hearted
Cute and relatable
Jenna
A very cute and light graphic novel about friendship and belonging, even if you might belong to multiple friend groups rather than a single spot. I found it a bit difficult to keep track of Olive’s friends, as they would barely get a snippet of her attention before something else happens. I can’t recall their names, only what they wanted to do at the show, which either shows my poor memory retention or makes Olive look slightly shallow. Most likely it’s the former!

But a cute drawing style and I’
Ampersand Inc.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: saffron-s-reads
Wonderful gentle graphic novel that really nails how tough it can be in middle grade fitting in.
Theresa
2-5th grade realistic fiction graphic novel for fans of Raina Telgemeier, but this was too bubble-gum cutesy. While it dealt with the issue of cliques and friendship in 5th grade, it was just ok.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

The strong and utterly charming graphic novel debut from author-illustrator Kayla Miller, Click tells the story of fifth grader Olive as she tries to navigate her place among different groups of friends as a big school event looms.

When it's announced by their teacher Mr. Florez that the fifth grade is going to prepare for a major variety show, Olive and her friends are ecstatic. As Olive and her groups of friends quickly start imagining what sorts of amazing talents and skills they'll put on sho
Ms. Yingling
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Olive's fifth grade class is having a variety show, and all of Olive's friends seem to have put groups together. There's an instrumental act, martial arts, cheer, and singing, but no one asks Olive if she wants to be part of a group. She isn't happy and sulks a bit, leading her mother to ask if she should call some of the kids' parents and ask if Olive can join. This is, of course, not what Olive has in mind as she fantasizes about being with the various groups. H
Ashley
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
As a 30something, I know that I'm FAAAAAR from the intended audience for these books. But these middle-grade graphic novels are all starting to blend together (read: trying to be the next Raina Telgemeier.) All Summer Long, Be Prepared, Invisible Emmie, Making Friends, New Kid, Real Friends, Roller Girl, Sheets, Short & Skinny, Sunny Side Up - some of these I loved, some I couldn't even finish, but I feel like a lot of them just kind of bleed together. But again, I'm not the intended ...more
Sam
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

Huge thank you to Raincoast for this ARC!

I had never heard of Click until it appeared on my doorstep. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to middle grade comics at the moment, but I liked this one a lot. I thought Olive was a cute main character, and her need to be loved by her friends is something I think many folks can relate to. When her friends all pair up for the school talent program, she feels lost and as though there is no place for her.

I enjoyed this, though I wish there had been
Tara Connor
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really gentle and thoughtful take on a very common middle grade phenomena - that sense that so many kids experience of having lots of friends, but not having one particular best friend; of feeling part of things one moment, and then suddenly completely on the outside the next; of not being anybody's "first choice friend." There are more dramatic and potentially powerful topics to ruminate on in graphic novels (and I'm not knocking that, by any means) but there is something so worthy an ...more
J.D. Holman
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm reading graphic novels at the Scholastic book fair again, LOL. This is a pleasant one for upper elementary school readers. There's really no conflict, except Olive has to figure out what to do for the talent show - especially when all her friends group up with ideas and she's seemingly left out. Similar to Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy, a cool aunt helps her solve her issue.

Good illustrations, with lots of diversity.
R. G. Nairam
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was really cool that this addressed the whole feeling of having friends but not belonging to a group, or always getting the feeling that they like you but care about someone else more. Though I resent somewhat being told that the mentor character didn't find her group "until college." Ha. Ha.

Other than that, there was a lot of this book where there just wasn't that much going on.

(I picked up an ARC of this at a bookstore I volunteer at.)
Damian Alexander
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A colorful graphic novel about friendship, but with a twist. Ever feel like you have lots of friends...but they're all hanging out without you? You see pictures of your friends going to the movies or the faire on Instagram and Facebook and you wonder, "Why wasn't I invited?" You thought you were friends...but maybe you're not...? Then you learn the difference between a "friend" and a "best friend" and realize you maybe don't have a best friend. This is something I experienced in high school. Eve ...more
Kristy
3.5 stars. This is a cute book with a very simple plot about finding your place in a group of friends. It’s super low stakes and will appeal most to the 2-5th grade set. Great for all those super young Raina Telgmeir fans! We needed a younger elementary age graphic story like this that was geared at younger kids.

The story is a little too simple but it will do just fine, you know?
Sarah Johnson
Good for 3rd - 5th graders who like Smile or Real Friends. Olive can’t quite find where she fits in for the school variety show. She has all sorts of friends, but no best friend. Through the help of her aunt, she finds where she fits in and discovers that she can support all her friends by staying true to herself.
Scott
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a uplifting story about finding a way to stand out and be true to yourself. With a cheeriness reminiscent of Archie Comics, Olive navigates the complication of being left out when her friends group up for the talent show. With some supportive family members, she find hew own unique way to shine. Leaving out some of the difficulties of a real school setting, this is a fun, mostly lighthearted exploration of self.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Mae and June and the Wonder Wheel
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny
  • The Secret of Danger Point (Surfside Girls, #1)
  • Alabaster Shadows (Alabaster Shadows, #1)
  • The Garden of My Imaan
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Odessa Again
  • One Mixed-Up Night
  • Nightmare Escape (Dream Jumper, #1)
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths