Start by marking “Backyard Bears: Conservation, Habitat Changes, and the Rise of Urban Wildlife” as Want to Read:
Backyard Bears: Conservation, Habitat Changes, and the Rise of Urban Wildlife

Backyard Bears: Conservation, Habitat Changes, and the Rise of Urban Wildlife

(Scientists in the Field)

North Carolina's black bears were once a threatened species, but now their numbers are rising in and around Asheville. But what happens when conservation efforts for a species are so successful that there’s a boom in the population? Can humans and bears live compatibly? What are the long-term effects for the bears? Author Amy Cherrix follows the scientists who, in cooperat ...more
Hardcover, Scientists in the Field, 80 pages
Published October 23rd 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Backyard Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backyard Bears

Kimberly
Wow! Another fabulous entry in this nonfiction series for middle grade. The photographs in this book are fantastic and there is a treasure trove of information about American black bears and the Urban Bear Study. This is really interesting, relevant stuff. I especially enjoyed the author's discussion of other urban areas that are experiencing an uptick in wildlife encounters. Wild turkeys in Boston? Who knew?
Beverly
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jnf-500
Excellent non-fiction for middle grade and older students. Outstanding photographs.
Lynn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding Scientists in the Field book - this one appropriate for middle grade readers and up. Chronicles a study by wildlife biologists of the the urban/suburban bear population around Ashville, North Carolina. As always, this does an excellent job of explaining the work of the team, the data they are gathering and the questions they are seeking to answer.

One fascinating chapter looks at other cities experiencing influxes of various other animals and birds and the extensive back matt
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Backyard Bears by Amy Cherrix (Scientists in the Field), 63 pages. Houghton Mifflin, 2018. $19.

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERGE

Cherrix takes a look at an animal-human interaction going on in her own backyard – Asheville, North Carolina. It’s illegal to hunt black bears within the city limits and the bear population has grown from 1500 in 1970 to 19,000 in 2014. This has led to some interesting interactions between the humans and animals of Ashville. The Black Bear Study
Brenda
Another excellent title in the “Scientists in the Field” series, “where science meets adventure.” These books are always well written and photographed. The science of the individual study being carried out, in this case about black bears living in close proximity to the urban area of Asheville, NC, is clearly explained. I always learn about what it takes to carry out these studies. The passion of the people involved is inspiring. This book is no exception. I can’t recommend this series of books ...more
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew I had to read this book as soon as I saw the cover. I read it before putting it out in my library for my students. Backyard Bears covers the challenges that Asheville, North Carolina is facing with their wildlife. The author meticulously describes what and how the scientists are doing to help track and deal with the bears as well as the other wildlife issues. The town itself is taking responsibility by encompassing this conservation plan with outreach to the younger town members. Everyone ...more
Constance
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thorough, fun, and fascinating NF picture book about bears in the city of Asheville, and also about animals habitating in cities around the world. A very interesting and educational read for any young person and an absolute must for the classroom. (with amazing photographs 0f baby cubs and up-close bears and other animals!!)
Amy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This books if well-done but who is the target audience? As a teacher and storyteller at my local library, I'm not sure who I would recommend this book to. It is very text dense and very technical. I felt like it was a good introduction for an adult but would a child/teen pick this up? Just curious.
Margaux
It's rare that I actually enjoy a non-fiction book, but in this case I did. 1: bears are such interesting animals. 2: Yoshi looks like a black bear to me. 3: I learned a lot and loved looking at the photos included. Like. Really loved it.
Jaime
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Amy Cherrix. What a fantastic book! I love meeting the team of scientists, seeing how they work and learning more about bears. Excellent nonfiction for 3rd-high school. Beautifully written with gorgeous photos.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb-non-fiction
Longer text. Non fiction. Great for classroom reports on bears, understanding scientists in the conservation field and what they do. Great photographs. Recommend for 2nd grade and up.
pati
One book in an excellent series for the budding scientist.
Pam
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book about bears joining the urban world and how human are working to make sure they survive. A bit repetitive at time but worth the read. Great photo's.
Bernadette Carrillo
Julie Williams
Oct 01, 2018
Debby
Dec 16, 2018

Scientists in the Field (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Amazon Adventure: How Tiny Fish Are Saving the World's Largest Rainforest