Start by marking “Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed” as Want to Read:

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  124,110 ratings  ·  11,647 reviews
From a New York Times best-selling author, psychotherapist, and national advice columnist, a hilarious, thought-provoking, and surprising new book that takes us behind the scenes of a therapist's world -- where her patients are looking for answers (and so is she).

One day, Lori Gottlieb is a therapist who helps patients in her Los Angeles practice. The next, a crisis cause
Published April 2nd 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Featured Notes & Highlights
Lori Gottlieb
Lori Gottlieb - author, non-fiction

To ask other readers questions about Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, please sign up.
Lucille Zimmerman Here is my review:

Here is my review:

This book grabbed me on Page 1. I enjoyed every moment of it. Perhaps it's because I'm a counselor, but I'm guessing anyone with any amount of curiosity about human behavior would love it!

I think there was only once concept that was new to me. The rest was very familiar. Maybe it's because I read so many counseling books (including Yalom's books). I love to learn.

What amazed me is that Gottlieb could write about these scenarios, even if they were disguised, without getting into ethical trouble. She was very graphic and detailed. I'm sure her clients recognized themselves even if she disguised them. I'm not criticizing Gottlieb, but I'm truly amazed she could do this without losing her license. Someone help me out here...

I've written two books, and have described scenarios in very vague terms, disguising what I wrote, even when I had the permissions of my clients. I guess I'm wondering what the line is these days :-)

What makes the book especially fun is that Gottlieb is so vulnerable about her own situation that took her into seeing a counselor as she wrote this book.

I highly recommend this one.(less)
Kathy I just finished reading and I have very mixed feelings about this book. I listened to Lori Gottlieb's interview with Terry Gross on "Fresh Air" and wa…moreI just finished reading and I have very mixed feelings about this book. I listened to Lori Gottlieb's interview with Terry Gross on "Fresh Air" and was surprised and rather shocked to hear that she asks for written permission up front from her clients, providing she protects their identities. Some decide not to work with her as a result. This, she says, is because she's in the unique position of being a writer before she became a therapist. But this seems very odd to me. It feels coercive to demand this up front. I think it's fine to ask for permission once you've established a relationship, but this feels a bit like her patients are fodder for her writing. (less)

·  124,110 ratings  ·  11,647 reviews

Start your review of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
Jessica Jeffers
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've followed me here on Goodreads for any length of time, you probably know that I am incredibly passionate about mental health advocacy. It's something that we need to talk about more, so we can break down the stigma surrounding it and more people can pursue help. So it should not be a surprise that I was excited to read a memoir about a therapist pursuing therapy to help her deal with her own issues—or that I absolutely loved the book.

These days, I'm pretty open about the fact that I see
Cindy
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the first 2/3 of the physical book and teetered between 4 or 5 stars before I switched to the audiobook in the last 1/3 and ended up crying in a few of the chapters, solidifying the 5-star rating. The author comes across as genuine and insightful in her writing, and the narrator does such a good job at sounding compassionate and patient, as if I were listening to the therapist herself. She wrote a lot of insights that resonated with me, like how we often stay in our negative mindset becau ...more
Justin Tate
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Face it, we could all use therapy. This memoir pulls back the curtain on the benefits of therapy, the stigmas, our hesitancy to open up about mental health, and also becomes a celebration of life.

The setup is that Lori, a therapist herself, experiences a life-shattering breakup and decides to start therapy mostly for selfish reasons--getting someone to agree that her ex-boyfriend is a jerk. Juxtaposed with that are the stories of Lori’s clients and their growth. While Lori experiences growth, sh
Elyse  Walters
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook…narrated by
Brittany Pressley... ( Brittany was excellent). I can see reasons for owing a hard copy as well as the Audiobook.

Lori Gottlieb is a psychotherapist who writes a “Dear Therapist” advice column. She lives in Los Angeles. She attended Yale and Stanford University. She has an impressive life/ career resume.

We are taken into her therapy sessions with her clients. We also walk through the door with Lori for sessions with her therapist.

This book is the real deal.... not cheesy-
Thomas
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A warm, engaging, and funny book about a therapist who sees a therapist after her boyfriend breaks up with her. I so appreciate Maybe You Should Talk to Someone for further destigmatizing therapy. I read somewhere that my generation is the “therapy generation” and yet so much stigma and misinformation surrounding therapy persists. Gottlieb describes her experience in therapy for herself and the therapy she provides to a few different patients with compassion and humor. Her writing style is conve ...more
j e w e l s
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
ONE STAR AUDIO

It's not you, it's me.

Anne Bogel enthusiastically raved about this book on her weekly podcast What Should I Read Next. She recommended it in the same breath as Ask Again, Yes and I am obsessed with that book. So, despite my misgivings about listening to all the therapist-speak, I used a precious Audible credit on Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed.

Lori Gottlieb has had an interesting life working in Hollywood first as a tv producer
Anne Bogel
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Gottlieb's previous book Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough when it came out many moons ago, and was delighted to see her new release. (It was also fun to see where life had taken her in the intervening years.) Now a psychotherapist, in these pages Gottlieb gets to the heart of what matters in life: how do we grow, how do we change, how do we connect with each other—and how can we do it all more effectively?

She explores human nature through the lens of psychotherapy,
Allison
I'm really not sure what to say about this book. The positives: I like that it is open and honest about mental health, therapy, self-love, and facing our fears (even if we're unaware what those fears are!) More books with a focus on these themes need to be written! I felt close to each character as I got to know them and truly cared about the outcome of each of their stories.

The not-so-positives: I'm not really sure what the "point" of this book is. It seemed like a journal that the author late
Cristina Monica
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is so much humanity in this book.
JanB
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, audiobook

What is therapy like? The author breaks down the walls and gives us a peek behind closed doors into her sessions with clients as well as sessions with her own therapist, who she consults after a devastating break-up. We also get glimpses into the author's education, career, and her personal life.

I felt as if I got to know her and her patients and I became invested in their lives. Details were changed for confidentiality, but the spirit of the stories remained true and the problems were real. I c
Marina
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm writing this review to see if I can make sense of my experience with this book. Even though I found myself immersed in it for days, and making as much time as possible to read it, the experience ended up not being completely satisfying for a few reasons.

My main complaint is: the stories are real but are supposedly disguised enough to protect her clients' privacy... so they aren't real. I was reading about those compelling characters and wondering what percentage of what she tells is the trut
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ by: Eilonwy
I saw one of my friends reviews on this book and I thought, "What the hell". I mean I love self help memoir type books. AND I loved this one!! Read from library.....

Sooooooooooooo, as you know me, Ima get me a hardback of it. Yes, it’s cheaper in kindle, but I want to hold this one and highlight and makes notes!!! Anyhoo, that’s that!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾😘

PS-They had me on a six month wait at the library but they have been asking me if I want to skip the line if I keep the book for shorter days and I’m gl
Mehrsa
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I rarely give a book one-star because I don't want to be mean, but this book was a complete waste of my time and it had such great reviews from so many people. I feel like I was cheated out of however long it took me to read (well, actually listen). If you want to read about psychotherapy, go to the real sources. If you want to read a memoir, go read a good one. I just don't even know what the point of this was.
✨    jamieson   ✨
I didn't really have many expectations going into this except that I had heard a few good things about it on Booktube. But it's a book I ended up telling everyone I know about as I was reading it.

This follows Lori, a therapist who goes to therapy herself after her boyfriend breaks up with her and she finds herself unable to cope with it. What was supposed to be one or two emergency sessions leads into Lori discovering her grief over the break-up might have more root issues than she expected. To
Victoria
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Feels a bit voyeuristic to say that I found this book thoroughly absorbing, but the author manages to make the therapeutic experience, her own and that of her patients, so engaging that at times it felt fictional. No surprise, the author is also a journalist.

Part memoir, part self-help wisdom and part psychotherapy primer, Gottlieb strikes a conversational tone and doesn’t seem to take herself too seriously. What she does take very seriously, and with great compassion, is each patient’s path to
Christine
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Amazon sidebar
I don’t read a lot of nonfiction and am trying to branch out into that a little more. I tend to get bogged down in facts while reading nonfiction, but Maybe You Should Talk to Someone moves along at the pace of a good novel; I found it to be a fantastic little gem.

Author Lori Gottlieb has worn a lot of hats—TV producer (Friends, ER), psychotherapist, and writer. This book was inspired by Lori’s own issues leading her to seek therapy herself. Along the way she focuses on four very different pati
Renee (itsbooktalk)
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever have a book that just completely blows you away? This was THAT book for me!....

I listened to the audio which was perfection. The narrator was one of the best I’ve ever listened to but I had to have a print copy for highlighting & putting on my 5⭐️ bookshelf. ⠀⠀

The set up: LA therapist Lori Gottlieb finds herself in need of her own therapist, so we get alternating chapters with her and her wise therapist Wendell interspersed with chapters of Lori’s sessions with her clients. I was SO investe
Amora
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Very engaging book! At first I wondered why a book with such a simple premise could have over two hundred people waiting to pick up the book at the library and then understood when I picked it up. I empathized with many of Lori’s clients and understood where their frustration was coming from. The commentary was quite interesting too. Being a therapist is no easy work, and this book puts into perspective how emotionally difficult it is.
Valeria Lipovetsky
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve marked so many phrases, ideas and paragraphs throughout the book that inspired me and ignited deeper curiosity towards certain habits, childhood memories and experiences I’ve had.

This book was a beautiful combination of extremely human stories and what felt like my own therapy session. So happy I reached for this one.

Highly recommend.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: (I was wary of any male college student whose procrastination extended to masturbation.) (c)

Can't help wondering: has anyone tried to measure the impact of this book on her client inflow? I wouldn't be so sure of it being positive. While it's really good and fun and a lot of good things, it would not attract me to book an appointment. As a hypothetical client, after reading this I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable with such attitude.

Some very deep thoughts:
Q:
It’s impossible to get to know
Schizanthus Nerd
Do you know how difficult it is to whisper an ugly cry? I do. There I was at 3:30am, relaxed and enjoying the insight and surprising humour of this book, caught up in a ‘just one more chapter’ loop. Then, out of nowhere, I was ugly crying as quietly as possible so I didn’t wake up the sensible people in my home, those who actually sleep when it’s considered an acceptable time to do so. Okay, so it wasn’t exactly ‘out of nowhere’; I knew it was coming at some stage with that particular patient bu ...more
Brandice
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maybe You Should Talk to Someone is by therapist Lori Gottlieb who experienced an unexpected breakup in her 40s and decided to go to therapy herself as part of her healing process. In this book, she shares her thoughts and experiences as well as the journeys of a handful of her own patients, each working through different challenges.

Lori dipped into a few careers before finding her calling in therapy. I appreciated that she was selective in choosing her own therapist as well. While there are ma
Gretchen Rubin
Fascinating! This book has generated a huge amount of buzz and rightly so. I was surprised to see myself mentioned—that was an odd experience.
Jennifer Blankfein
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stayed home for two days to read this insightful book - couldn’t put it down! Needed tissues multiple times; I cried for every character- Lori Gottlieb writes with heart, vulnerability and truth while giving us a look behind the scenes of a therapist’s life. So much to think about.

I loved and learned so much reading Maybe You Should Talk To Someone. Heading to therapy when life throws you a curveball may be just the thing you need to face your problems head on. It is a process, not a quick fix,
Tania
Not my normal genre - I don't read much non-fiction and no self-help, but I loved this.

I adore books that make me laugh and cry, teach me things and make me think about stuff I've never thought of before. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone ticked all of the above boxes.

Lori Gottlieb shows us that to make mistakes is human, and that we should have more compassion for others AND ourselves.

I loved that we got to know the author, her therapist and her selected patients on a deeply personal level, and
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Check out my review on Booktube: https://youtu.be/tIlGCRTgmg8 ...more
jenny✨
Maybe we all need to doubt, rail against, and question before we can really let go.

⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ 3.5 stars!

I have to admit, sometimes this book REALLY screamed “Hello world, I counsel rich white Los Angeleans!” and I couldn’t quite into the flow of it. The author’s personal anecdotes alternate somewhat jarringly with those of four patients, and I found myself setting this book aside several times over the course of reading it.

Another reviewer mentioned that the author comes off as “self-indulgen
Gosia
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a therapist... blah blah... My boyfriend broke up with me... blah blah... My patient did this and that... blah blah. The author is spilling words on paper without putting much thought to it, so it reads like a stream of consciousness done for therapeutic reasons - and then edited here and there to make it fit for publishing and getting money of it. The book lacks structure and deeper insights, but most of all it lacks credibility. You want to believe Lori's story but she never opens up compl ...more
Lisa
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
[4+] I doubt that I would have read this if my book club had not chosen it as our selection. The idea of listening to a therapist talk about her patients doesn't appeal to me. But I enjoyed every minute! I like Gottlieb's writing style; she has an excellent sense of pacing and draws the reader into her patients' lives and her own life without making the book feel voyeuristic.

I was very moved by several of the stories. I feel that one of the reasons the book worked so well was the openness Gottl
Antigone
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
In an account that could easily be subtitled Therapists Are People, Too, Lori Gottlieb journeys through her experience as a Los Angeles psychotherapist practicing amidst the misery of a sudden and unexpected break with the man she had planned to marry. This necessitates her own entry into treatment and provides the reader with a unique double-field of revelation - the mechanics of analysis as encountered from both sides of that metaphorical couch.

Gottlieb is a fine writer. The many years she's s

• Untamed
  • Know My Name
  • Assuming Names: A Con Artist's Masquerade
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • Forgotten Bones (Dead Remaining #1)
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Dear Edward
  • American Dirt
  • City of Girls
  • An American Princess: The Many Lives of Allene Tew
  • In Five Years
LORI GOTTLIEB is a psychotherapist and New York Times bestselling author of MAYBE YOU SHOULD TALK TO SOMEONE, which is being adapted for TV with Eva Longoria. In addition to her clinical practice, she writes The Atlantic's weekly "Dear Therapist" advice column and contributes regularly to the New York Times. She is sought-after in media such as The Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS This Mornin ...more

Articles featuring this book

Famous people! Are they really just like us? In the case of these individuals, the answer is a resounding yes when it comes to loving...
“We can’t have change without loss, which is why so often people say they want change but nonetheless stay exactly the same.” 203 likes
“We tend to think that the future happens later, but we're creating it in our minds every day. When the present falls apart, so does the future we had associated with it. And having the future taken away is the mother of all plot twists.” 152 likes