Start by marking “Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed” as Want to Read:

From a New York Times best-selling author, psychotherapist, and national advice columnist, a hilarious, thought-provoking, and surprising new book that takes us behind the scenes of a therapist’s world—where her patients are looking for answers (and so is she).

One day, Lori Gottlieb is a therapist who helps patients in her Los Angeles practice. The next, a crisis causes he
Published April 2nd 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, please sign up.
Frank There is a 'stores' link just after the description; I usually get the price from there. For this book (for Kindle anyway) it's $12.99 when I write…moreThere is a 'stores' link just after the description; I usually get the price from there. For this book (for Kindle anyway) it's $12.99 when I write this. But prices vary over time, special offers and depend on the format and binding. (less)

Jessica Jeffers
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've followed me here on Goodreads for any length of time, you probably know that I am incredibly passionate about mental health advocacy. It's something that we need to talk about more, so we can break down the stigma surrounding it and more people can pursue help. So it should not be a surprise that I was excited to read a memoir about a therapist pursuing therapy to help her deal with her own issues—or that I absolutely loved the book.

These days, I'm pretty open about the fact that I see
Elyse Walters
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Audiobook…narrated by
Brittany Pressley... ( Brittany was excellent). I can see reasons for owing a hard copy as well as the Audiobook.

Lori Gottlieb is a psychotherapist who writes a “Dear Therapist” advice column. She lives in Los Angeles. She attended Yale and Stanford University. She has an impressive life/ career resume.

We are taken into her therapy sessions with her clients. We also walk through the door with Lori for sessions with her therapist.

This book is the real deal.... not cheesy-
Allison
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm really not sure what to say about this book. The positives: I like that it is open and honest about mental health, therapy, self-love, and facing our fears (even if we're unaware what those fears are!) More books with a focus on these themes need to be written! I felt close to each character as I got to know them and truly cared about the outcome of each of their stories.

The not-so-positives: I'm not really sure what the "point" of this book is. It seemed like a journal that the author late
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever have a book that just completely blows you away? This was THAT book for me!....

I listened to the audio which was perfection. The narrator was one of the best I’ve ever listened to but I had to have a print copy for highlighting & putting on my 5⭐ bookshelf. ⠀⠀

The set up: LA therapist Lori Gottlieb finds herself in need of her own therapist, so we get alternating chapters with her and her wise therapist Wendell interspersed with chapters of Lori’s sessions with her clients. I was SO inve
christina
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful. In terms of a therapeutic experience, it fell smack in the middle between Eat, Pray, Love and Quiet for me. When you close the book, you can't go back to who you were before. A check mark on every page.
Mehrsa
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I rarely give a book one-star because I don't want to be mean, but this book was a complete waste of my time and it had such great reviews from so many people. I feel like I was cheated out of however long it took me to read (well, actually listen). If you want to read about psychotherapy, go to the real sources. If you want to read a memoir, go read a good one. I just don't even know what the point of this was.
Genevieve Trono
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was blown away by this book. Lori Gottlieb is a therapist who shares her insights not only about her professional experience but her own journey through therapy. This book helps normalize therapy for everyone, and her ability to share the profound growth both she and her patients experienced was so honest and refreshing.

While Gottlieb includes many important psychological concepts, her writing is clear and conversational and easy for anyone to engage with. I found that there was a perfect bal
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Are you in therapy?
If not, why not?
Arik Hardin
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was such a fulfilling, heartwarming (and breaking), devastating read. Not only did I get to see into the lives of Lori and her patients, but I got to look into myself—this book felt like I was seeing my own therapist (I really should get one). It was so therapeutic, and I would gladly recommend it to anyone looking for a charming, honest, and poignant read. (Just don't read/listen to it at work or in public—I learned that the hard way).
Marika
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Author Lori Gottlieb puts a face on talk therapy and humanizes therapists. From where you sit in the therapist's office to awkward silence...what can can they possibly mean? Writing about therapy crosses so many sacred boundaries, yet Lori is very careful to disguise her patients and protects their anonymity.
Lori also writes about her personal struggles and how she seeks a therapist to speak to. In addition to being a psychotherapist, Lori is also New York Times bestselling author, and writes th
Holly Brown
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a therapist and a writer myself, I have immense respect for what's involved in this type of book: how to reveal herself but not too much; how to reveal her patients but not too much; how to reveal the profession but not too much. Really, it's an incredible high-wire act and Lori Gottlieb performs it beautifully. Insightful and moving without pandering or being gratuitous...I loved it. Thank you, Lori, for not just an incredible reading experience but an incredible life experience.
Katie/Doing Dewey
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aprilff
Summary: This memoir was a fascinating look at being a therapist and included many engaging, emotional stories.

Author Lori Gottlieb is an experienced therapist, but that doesn't mean she never needs a therapist herself! After a surprising break-up leaves her sneaking in a good cry between patients, she realizes it's time to talk to someone. This is the story of how she builds a helpful rapport with her therapist and of the patients she's helping at the same time. From her perspective, we get to
Tracy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone should take the time to read this. Gottlieb brilliantly describes how therapy works, why we all could use some, and what therapy DOESN'T do using her own therapy as a major example. I was fascinated with the personal stories, hers and those of her patients, but even better was how she tied these stories to general theories used in therapy and the importance of good mental health. It's a difficult topic, and I'm thrilled with a book that talks about how beneficial therapy can be for most ...more
Jules
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in less than 24hrs. I probably should've read it slower to savor the stories and hydrate but it'll be there if after a pause I decide to read it again. I found it to be a really lovely mix of memoir, case studies and psychology theory (including my personal favorites of Bion and Carl Rogers). It's definitely a book to read with a box of tissues, which I wasn't expecting. She described poignant sessions of one composite patient with terminal cancer and another who tragically lost ...more
Telaina
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I felt a little lost at certain points in time in this book--was I reading a memoir? A case study? A reflection on therapy and its purpose in our society? Or was I reading the story of a woman who was struggling to find her way in her career, romantic life, and parenting? That however is my only criticism--that the book is ambitious, and at times, unfocused. But like her predecessors--Irvin Yalom and Alan Wheelis, Gottlieb has a deep understanding of humanity, our egos, our frailty, our triumphs ...more
Chavala
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unexpectedly interesting! I thought this was going to be more of a anecdotal book, and it was, but only to an extent. It touched on so many issues and mental/emotional health issues, that so many of us have, yet refuse to acknowledge or deny. It was entertaining, yet educating. I appreciated the realness, rawness, and honesty presented in the book. It will be insightful to everyone, that's for sure! No matter if you read it with thoughts of your current day or your past, it will resonate.

Thank
Kat Leache
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading it was like the therapy I can't afford. She's so smart, so humanistic, so insightful. Bursting with compelling stories and brilliant observations about the relationship between trauma and dysfunction. Loved it so much.
Kate (kate_reads_)
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This will be one of my favorite books of 2019 - I absolutely loved it. I wasn’t sure what to expect and couldn’t remember where I had first heard about it - so went into it a blank slate.

Within the first couple chapters, I was texting a friend that I loved it and thought she might too. Lori Gottlieb is a therapist and in this book she takes us into the journey of some of her patients as well as her experiences with her own therapist.

It’s well written, funny and occasionally heartbreaking. Much l
Rebecca Davis
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good. I really enjoyed reading the alternating perspectives between the therapists patients and her own therapy. The pacing is good. The book will make you laugh and maybe even cry.
Georgette
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Great book! Gottlieb is a psychotherapist writing about her own difficulties in seeing a therapist to figure out her life issues. We meet her patients, her family, and her own therapist. As she tries to work through the end of her longtime relationship, she comes to understand a great deal more about her own life and how she sees her patients. Fascinating, very real, and very relatable in many parts.
Lindsay
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book made me squirm....partly because I felt like a guilty voyeur listening in to a private therapy session. Was this written as revenge for Boyfriend's betrayal? The book feels slightly icky.....And yet, I finished it.
Kelly
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I adored this book. I’m a therapist who also knows the life changing magic of my own therapy (looove my therapist!). This book described the beautiful, vulnerable, special and hard things that happen in the therapy room for both the therapist and the client. I imagine it would be hard to walk away from this book without becoming more aware, softer and possibly with some healing.
Zoey
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, especially if you’re interested in the therapeutic process or psychology. I was distracted at times by the nature of the novel - like how do you get permission from your clients to write about such personal stories? Is that a weird boundary to cross at some point in the therapeutic process... asking for permission to write about your client? Anyway, it was fun to read and definitely some aha moments / thought provoking insights.
Ampersand Inc.
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ali-s-reads
I loved this book. The author has had a fascinating career, and her stories of her own experiences in therapy and those of her patients were touching and funny. I will warn you, it turns into a bit of a sob fest! I think it would be a GREAT book for a bookclub, and I hope to force some more people to read it, because I have so many thoughts I want to discuss!
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Unexpected, unusual, brilliant, and moving. What a pleasure!
Bflosenrab
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never write reviews on here. But this one was a heavy, heavy read. Or to be more precise, a heavy, heavy listen because I listened to the audio version. This one “got” to me, if you will. If you have never been to therapy or you have and you want to know more about this curious process or what therapists are like outside of their jobs, then Lori Gottlieb has blown off the entire lid for you.

I found out about this book through the mailing list of Susan Cain, author of Quiet: The Power of Intro
Jessica
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Gottlieb pulls together a lot of different threads: her meandering career path that eventually led her to become a therapist; four different patients' stories (heavily edited composite sketches of real patients she's seen) and how they're changed through therapy with her; her own experience going to therapy and how it helped her; some history of different psychological research and theories; and a behind-the-scenes look at what therapists think about during sessions and what they t ...more
Beth
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
(I just realized that this read, came out today, how cool is that, that i am reviewing it on it's release day, so cool!! go check it out, makes u think.) newbie to this author, i got it on my doorstep one day and even shared it on instagram, i was wondering what it was going to be all about? so curious. what a great. sucked me in immediately. if you know anything about books, Beth loved hard back books. score! love that. cover always pulls me in too. i am not afraid to say i did seek help when i ...more
Rachel
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book with thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via NetGalley.

This book was such a lovely one to read. A mixture of memoir, health (specifically mental health) and self-help Gottlieb invites us into both her professional and personal worlds. She gives us a deep insight into her career as a therapist and her journey through therapy with her own therapist. She shares stories of several patients that whilst we may not all personally relate to, is easy to wholeheartedly conn
m
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, non-fiction
This intimate look at psychotherapy from the author's two viewpoints - as a therapist herself, and as a patient in crisis - was entertaining, fascinating, and often deeply moving. Gottlieb is a wonderful storyteller, and boy, does she have some tales to tell. The one downside of this book for me, which at least one other reviewer has mentioned, was the uneasy feeling of voyeurism I experienced while reading about the struggles of Gottlieb's patients (who, she does assure us, have given permissio ...more
  • Draw What You See: The Life and Art of Benny Andrews
  • Clara and Davie
  • The Wrong End of the Table: A Mostly Comic Memoir of a Muslim Arab American Woman Just Trying to Fit in
  • Danza!: Amalia Hernández and El Ballet Folklórico de México
  • Bride Island
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • The Marvelous Thing That Came from a Spring: The Accidental Invention of the Toy That Swept the Nation
  • Alexander and the Wonderful, Marvelous, Excellent, Terrific Ninety Days: An Almost Completely Honest Account of What Happened to Our Family When Our Youngest Son, His Wife, Their Baby, Their Toddler, and Their Five-Year-Old Came to Live with Us for Thr...
  • My Painted House, My Friendly Chicken, and Me
  • Will's Words: How William Shakespeare Changed the Way You Talk
  • ¡Sí, Se Puede! / Yes, We Can!: Janitor Strike in L.A.
  • Magic Is Dead: My Journey into the World's Most Secretive Society of Magicians
  • Elizabeth Started All the Trouble
  • Every Moment After
  • Life Came to a Standstill: True Accounts of Loss, Love, and Hope
  • The Space Between Before and After
  • Randolph Caldecott: The Man Who Could Not Stop Drawing
  • Earmuffs for Everyone!: How Chester Greenwood Became Known as the Inventor of Earmuffs
LORI GOTTLIEB is a psychotherapist and New York Times bestselling author who writes the weekly "Dear Therapist" advice column for the Atlantic. A contributing editor for the Atlantic, she also writes for the New York Times Magazine, and is a sought-after expert on relationships, parenting, and hot-button mental health topics in media such as The Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning, ...more
“Follow your envy - it shows you what you want.” 2 likes
“Happiness (t) = w0+ w1  γt−jCRj+ w2  γt−jEVj+ w3  γt−jRPEj Which all boils down to: Happiness equals reality minus expectations.” 0 likes