Start by marking “Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?” as Want to Read:
Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

Based on the Netflix original series with a foreword by Gina Rodriguez. For decades, people have asked the question: Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? But just who is this infamous and elusive globe-trotting criminal?

A skilled thief on a mysterious mission, Carmen Sandiego is endlessly pursued by ACME and Interpol. But the woman in the red fedora is always one step
Published January 22nd 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Who in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?
Jillian (PidginPea's Book Nook)
First an Oregon Trail choose-your-own-adventure book and NOW THIS. I am reliving my 90s computer classes in book form and I could not be happier. ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adapted from the screenplay for the Netflix animated series, this book faithfully depicts the origin story of Carmen Sandiego. Most of the story is told as a flashback of Carmen’s time in a thieving school run by V.I.L.E. (Villains' International League of Evil) and includes most of the instructors, agents, and students that are depicted on the TV show including Professor Maelstrom, Coach Brunt, Dr. Bellum, Countess Cleo, Graham/Gray, Cookie Booker, Tigress, El Topo, Le Chevre, Paper Star, Mime ...more
Anastasia
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Who in the World is Carmen Sandiego by Rebecca Tinker is an Audible production and narrated by Kyla Garcia. This was one of my favourite games and it was interesting to hear of the back story of the famous master criminal. An entertaining account with terrific narration.
QNPoohBear
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades, tv
Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? What 80s and 90s kid doesn't remember the video game and TV show about the thief Carmen Sandiego and her henchmen? This story is similar to the recent wave of Disney movies that attempts to explain the origin story of a noted villain in order to make her more sympathetic. Carmen Sandiego is the world's greatest thief and a thorn in the side of the Interpol inspector chasing her but who is she really? No one knows. Abandoned as a baby, "Black Sheep" as she w ...more
Melinda
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot - a blast from the past. Going back into the world of Carmen Sandiego and learning all about her history, where she came from and how she came to be the thief she is today. A quick easy read that will be enjoyable for all of us of a certain age who were so very familiar with Ms Sandiego in our youth and the learning to navigate the rise of the computer age!
Shane Breeman
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It was an average book. Nothing spectacular but not bad in the slightest. Quick easy read for a quick trip down nostalgia lane. Loved the show in the 90’s.
Wendy Lohr
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
*This review can also be found on my blog, The Never-Ending TBR Pile: https://wendylohr.wordpress.com/2020/...

Adventure, capers, and crime. Even though this is a relatively short book, it was packed full of these three things! And as skeptical as I was at first about reading this, I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it.

I will be the first to admit that even though I grew up at the time when Carmen Sandiego was first making her appearance in our world, I didn't have any interest in fol
Natalie
Cute backstory about Carmen’s past and how she came to be the super villain she is.
Kathryn
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, I read this. Zero shame. Zero regrets.
I <3 Carmen Sandiego.
Susan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Where do I begin? I was never in the original hype of Carmen’s run in the 90’s. I never knew much about the story. But, I knew Carmen Sandiego was a woman of power and in this middle grade adaptation, I was definitely not disappointed.
Carmen Sandiego is a powerful character, and in this adaptation I was amazed to read her back story and how she became the mysterious Carmen Sandiego.
If not for nostalgia purposes, I’d recommend everybody picks up this adventurous adaptation.
Jacqueline
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I, unlike Gina Rodriguez and many others, did not grow up with the mysterious Carmen Sandiego. I didn’t know the name until college, when she was mentioned by a friend in passing. So this book was really the first time I’ve gotten a chance to experience the phenomenon—and it was so worth it! This book is a great adventure for children and long time fans of Carmen. Plenty of mystery and twists, it’s a great book that I’m sure many readers will enjoy. I look forward to watching the show!
Adriana
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

Loved discovering more of what Carmen experienced as a VILE student in this novelization of the TV show. It surprisingly covers only the first two episodes. Most of it is the same but there are some additions to the story like her meeting Paper Star, a new professor I believe, and just more of Carmen's POV. I hope the next book dives into how she met the siblings in the TV show. I'm curious to see how much it'll cover.
PoligirlReads
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS!

First things first, to truly enjoy this, you're going to need to let go of the Carmen from your childhood. It's just that simple. If I, someone who grew up loving the cartoon, the live-action show, the computer game, and the board game, aaaaand who had no qualms dressing up as Carmen for Halloween as an adult (are you catching the fangirl theme here?), can enjoy this, then you can, too.

So there's an entirely different storyline (she's no longer a rogue ACME employee who took up with
Sam
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

Huge thank you to Raincoast for this ARC!

Growing up, I was a huge Carmen Sandiego fan. I loved the cartoon, the game show, the education games, everything with her name on it, I was a fan. I was so excited when Netflix announced that they would be creating a new storyline for the iconic thief and that Gina Rodriguez would be the lead.

This book is an origin story of sorts. It looks at Carmen's background to how she got into becoming a thief, and her relationship with "Player." There's not rea
Jeffrey
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up playing the Carmen Sandiego video games. And I loved them to bits. So no shame when I saw this and picked it up! It's an enjoyable little adventure especially for children. Which, I suspect, the for children part is to blame for all my gripes with the book. For one thing, it is too short. Not enough character development or events happen that feel like they should. Leaving the book feeling more like a skeletal outline of a book. Plus, this story takes place in VILE's school. You'd thin ...more
Michelle Stimpson
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the origin story I didn't know I wanted! I played the computer game and watched the TV game show as a kid. I knew it was all a clever ploy to get kids interested in geography and it absolutely worked for me. Can't wait to check out the Netflix series.
Annie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming book for young readers. I'm not familiar with the video game, so don't have any expectations for the characters or plot.
Zack Moxley
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
My daughter loved it. I found it inane. Unrealistic tech, plot holes, etc. Definitely a kids book. She'd give it a 5, I'd give it 1, so we settle on 3.
Andrea
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is fantastic! If you love mysteries, action, spies, and all things Carmen Sandiego then check this out!
TheNextGenLibrarian
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Serious blast to my 90’s kid past. If you’re a fan of the Netflix TV show this book is for you as it shows the origin story of how Carmen became the serious criminal she is today!
Kneesa
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth
4.5 — A fun read with an easy fast pace.
Clare Lund
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Talk about some major childhood nostalgia! This is Carmen Sandiego’s origin story — a bit slow at first, but a fun read nonetheless! Ages 9 and up.
Sophie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a lifelong Carmen fan, I was really excited to see there was going to be a new Carmen book for the first time in about 20 years. Then less excited when I realized it was just a novelization of the first two episodes of the new cartoon.

Happily, I soon learned from Tumblr that it had additional tidbits not present in the show, so I picked it up anyway, even though I'd been burned before by reading entire books for new "tidbits" that turned out to be the tiniest of details (*coughcough* NieR:
Megan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Megan by: audible original
I raised my older kids on the PBS show, "Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego?" We all enjoyed that cheesy geography quiz game show. Now that the series has been revamped by Netflix, this prequel has appeared to give us the origin story of Carmen Sandiego.
Who in the world is she?
You have to suspend a lot of disbelief to be swept along in this story. It's fun, but not fabulous.
I think it would be most interesting for those who have been watching the show; you really need to know who she is and w
Olgalijo
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a chapter book based on a popular child’s tv series, Donde esta Carmen Sandiego?. The famous thief runs away from the police after stealing a mysterious object. In the midst of her flight somebody from her past catches up with her. As they are stuck in a train in motion, Carmen starts talking about her past and how she became who she is. We go through the usual themes in chapter books: a young kid with no parents, the special school setting, the little gag of friends around the protagoni ...more
Arkham Reviews
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
Who In The World Is Carmen Sandiego is certainly never a question that I thought to ask before and I think the answer may divide fans. I have not yet watched the new Netflix series but picked up this book as a bit of a nostalgia trip. However, it turns out that this is not the Carmen I remember from my childhood, which was a little disappointing.

However, if taken on its own for its own merit, this story is actually reasonably enjoyable. While we don't discover all of Carmen's origins, it tells t
Grace
I grew up watching the game show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" in the early 1990s. One of my first life goals was to appear on the show, which unfortunately did not happen so it gave me an early life lesson about not always getting what you want. So, when I discovered the new release "Who in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" by Rebecca Tinker, I bought it so fast that I don't even remember signing in to my Audible account to pay for it. But I digress.

The blurb mentioned generations of fa
Sydney (booksofkings)
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
Where in the world has this show been my entire life?
How in the world did i never know about the badassness that is Carmen Sandiego?
What in the world is this story about?
How long in the world will i keep up this schtick of questions?

Yeah, this story uses that "where in the world" phrase about 50000 times and it's a 4 hour long audio book. It's cute, i get it. It fits with the whole Carmen Sandiego theme but ITS NOT THAT LONG OF BOOK!

So, if you are like me and fresh of the new animated Netflix Sh
Ellen
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This audible original, free for members, might appear to be little more than a commercial for the upcoming Netflix series, but if that were all this book had to offer, it would not have been enjoyable in the least. Especially considering I'm one of the few people in the universe who doesn't have Netflix, but that's beside the point. Instead, Tinker offers up a nostalgic nod to 90's kids while still giving us more to love in a story all its own.

WHO in the World is Carmen Sandiego takes us on a ja
Air
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute "re-branding" of the Carmen series and I really enjoyed it. There were some points where the book was overly redundant (even for juvenile fiction), but ultimately it was an enjoyable read. I had a lot of fun with the "flashbacks" to some of the old phrases and techy items they talked about; however, by then end of the book if I had to read "where in the world" on more time, I might have stopped, so that part did start out cute and then became annoying without me noticing when. I ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Clue by Clue
  • The Sticky Rice Caper (Carmen Sandiego Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Jukebox Joyride
  • The Fishy Treasure Caper (Carmen Sandiego Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • Endangered Operation
  • Foreverywhere
  • Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • House of Teeth
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
  • Interview with the Robot
  • Billy Kelly: This Is a Family Show!
  • Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons