Start by marking “Cherokee America” as Want to Read:
Cherokee America

Cherokee America

From the author of the Pulitzer Prize finalist Maud's Line, an epic novel that follows a web of complex family alliances and culture clashes in the Cherokee Nation during the aftermath of the Civil War, and the unforgettable woman at its center.

It's the early spring of 1875 in the Cherokee Nation West. A baby, a black hired hand, a bay horse, a gun, a gold stash, and a pre
Published February 19th 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Cherokee America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherokee America

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
You have to go into this one prepared...

You need to know going into Cherokee America that there are gobs of characters, and they will be introduced rather quickly for the first chunk of the book. I read a review that mentioned bookmarking those pages where the characters are introduced, and that helped me keep up. Once you have the characters down, there is much to love within this story.

The year is 1875, and the setting is Cherokee Nation West. Cherokee America Singer, nicknamed “Check,” is ou
Angela M
Feb 16, 2019 marked it as setting-aside
There are just too many characters and too many distractions to hold my interest. I really was taken by Check, the main character snd interested in the time period . Maybe I’ll pick it up another time when I can focus more. For now , I’m setting this aside .
Reading Badger
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The book starts a bit slow, introducing the main character of the novel, Check Singer, the matriarch of an important family of farmers in the area, of Cherokee descent. Her husband is dying, and she has to deal with the fear and sadness of losing him but at the same time, stay strong for her five children. After that, I would have expected for the action to pick up a bit, but that did not happen.
Read the full review: https://readingbadger.club/2018/11/28...

Final thoughts, I warmly recommend thi
The Lit Bitch
This book intrigued me for one reason—it sounded different. This is an ‘Own Voices’ book so I loved that it would be more about people on the fringes and as a historian this book held a lot of appeal to me.

It weaves Native American culture with a more traditional family narrative all set in a post Civil War world to create something unique and new. Based on that promise, I was eager to read this and see how it all worked together.

I haven’t read a lot of books set on the frontier or with Native A
Julia Simpson-Urrutia
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Check Singer is a character who grows on you, getting right under your skin. Her husband is very ill and she has children ranging from school age to grown. She worries and manages all of them as she does her farm and the people working it. Puny works for her and has got himself in a heap of woman trouble. I love the women in his life, especially Ezell. She has a heart of gold! Both she and Check (Cherokee) are strong, practical women with a sense of obligation to help other people and care for t ...more
Megan
Jul 30, 2018 marked it as dnf
*Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest review!*

I was interested in reading this because of my Cherokee heritage, and even reading just 10% into the book, I learned a lot. However, this book is dense and I'm tabling it (for now) until I can get it on audiobook.
Tami
I didn’t realize when I began reading this book that Cherokee America was a woman’s name. Called Check for short, Cherokee America is the matriarch of a prosperous family living in the Cherokee Nation during the 1870’s.

Check’s husband is a white man who is on his death bed at the start of the novel. With a family of five boys and a potato farm to run, Check has her hands full as she tries to care for her husband in his final days.

It is during this time that some pivotal events occur in the lives
Courtney Judy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are a TON of characters in this story. At the very beginning of the book, you are given a list of all the characters and how they are connected (if they are connected) and I would recommend keeping those pages (yes, there are pages dedicated to these descriptions) handy for the first 25% of the book. They come at ya fast and furious. Once I had them figured out, for the most part, the story flowed much smoother.

Overall, Cherokee America was a wonderfully heartbreaking and thought provokin
Renata
Oct 23, 2018 added it
Shelves: abandonded, arc
DNF

I kept trying to get through an arc of this and it just really wasn't clicking for me and then I remembered that I had struggled with her previous book Maud's Line and really only finished it because of book club, and I had no social pressure to finish this one, so I'm not. DOBBY IS A FREE ELF.

Fans of gritty historical epics or whatever will probably like this, and it's always great to have more #OwnVoices books about Native Americans, especially when a lot of other American historical fictio
Sarah Zama
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cherokee America, by Cherokee citizen Margaret Verble, is a Western at heart… but a kind of Western you’ve never read before. All the elements are there: cowboys and Indians, outlaws, the remembrance (and aftermath) of war, gold hiding and searching, sheriffs, farmers, and a close community in a wide open prairie. The plot also revolves around familiar themes (at least on the surface): revenge and the hunt for a hidden stash of gold.

Everything that you would expect from a good Western novel is t
Anna
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Edelweiss for this ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). It's due to be released February 19, 2019.

I had very mixed feelings about this one. Even though I was interested in reading the ARC and was sent it last May, I struggled to pick it up. I have fallen back in love with historical fiction and decided to pick this up and read it before it was released.

However, I found it difficult to get through. I kept putting it down. I nearly DNFed (did not finish) it several times. It is 40
CoffeeandInk
DNF. Too many characters to follow, not enough of Check Singer or Cherokee culture, for me anyway. Well written, nicely historically gritty, but I expected something different and it just didn't catch for me. :(
Lauren A.
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, I really did and I appreciate the complexity of Check's character as well as the use of the Cherokee written language throughout the text without English translation. But...I just couldn't figure out what this story was about. Plots started then were lost to new plots, after hundred or so pages I just went along for the ride and rolled with it. The ending was fine, but not satisfying because the whole book before that wasn't very satisfying. I enjoyed the real history ...more
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover art for Cherokee America drew me in before I picked up the book. A lone woman on the prairie, with the wind tumbling through her shawl. It evoked that same sense of loneliness and longing as Andrew Wyeth's painting, Christina's World. I wanted to know this woman's story, and after reading the synopsis was hooked.

Cherokee America opens in a late 1800's small town, as Check (Aunt Check to most folks) runs errands at the local general store. This simple setting, the hub center of the tow
Amy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
more on www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

When I first got this book, I was really excited. I wanted to love it, but the farther I got into the book, my excitement faded. In saying that, this book wasn't terrible, it just wasn't fabulous, for me.

Let's start with what I really loved. I really enjoyed the descriptions in this book. Margaret Verble built such a vibrant world that I my lack of familiarity with Native American history didn't feel insurmountable. I felt like I knew this world, could und
Jennie
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy to review from NetGalley.

I liked this book (the 2.5 to 3 range) and enjoyed learning a little bit about Cherokee Nation West. The tagline of "A baby, a black hired hand, a bay horse, a gun, a gold stash, and a preacher have all gone missing." is very intriguing but misleading. They have not gone missing nor are they all linked.

This is a novel that wants to be a family epic like The Son by Philipp Meyer but the novel is a little disjointed. I think it feels this way because th
Doria
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable and informative work of historical fiction, which offers good insight into the daily life, struggle, humor and intelligence of the people living within the Cherokee Nation during the late 19th century, in the wake the Trail of Tears. Based on what is known about individuals who were Cherokee, mixed blood, African-American and white, the author has constructed a plausible and engaging narrative, covering the events of one particulate summer. The result is a kind of layer-cake view of ...more
Kim McGee
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cherokee, called Aunt Check or Check, is part of the Cherokee Nation and married to a white man. Her husband is dying leaving Check to raise her three boys and servants alone. There is an interesting mix of white, Native American and blacks living peacefully but when racial squabbles happen that peace turns out to be a thing of the past. A child is found hurt and a well-respected man is killed drawing a line in the sand between the Nation and the rest of the world. It is a hard life and secrets ...more
Ann || SheLovesThePages
I love historical fiction and this did not disappoint. I have not read much Native American historical fiction, so I learned a lot. There are many characters, and in books where they throw many characters at you in the begging, a cheat sheet helped!
I thought it was thought provoking. I also felt a connection with the main character, Check. Normally when one thinks of a story taking place after the civil war, they don’t think it’s going to be something focused on a Cherokee family.
It was one of
Elysium
What drew me to read this was that it’s set in Cherokee Nation. I don’t know much about US history and I did learn much. But I have to say that there’s huge number of characters and I’m still bit confused at who is who and how they’re related. There was also lot of different plots and sub-plots that never really went anywhere.

I liked Check and admired her courage and determination. But there was too little of Check and Cherokee culture.

But I learned a lot about the time period, it just could hav
Susan Waller
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I heard about this book on NPR and looked forward to reading it. The descriptions were authentic and conveyed a strong sense of place. But it was not plot driven, and I struggled to get interested in it. There were way WAY too many descriptions of men masturbating. I found myself turning the page whenever a man reached for his belt. Maybe that's why I couldn't follow the plot - I kept skipping chunks of it! It was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, but I was unable to appreciate it.
Karen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating novel that takes place approximately a decade after the Civil War and which follows the lives of several families of the Cherokee Nation living and farming in western Arkansas. Although many of the residents have intermarried with white Americans or are descendants of Cherokees who married white Americans, they are all still members of the Nation and have detailed knowledge of their ancestors and current familial relationships extending to fourth cousins.
Korie Buerkle
Cherokee “Check” America Singer is the mother of 5 boys and caring for her dying husband.

Living in the Cherokee Nation in the late 1800’s, Check’s mixed heritage and her household of white and African American family and staff, mixed with hunting for treasure, murder, and the struggle for national sovereignty make for a fascinating Western inspired by the author’s family.
Readlizread
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It started off as a difficult read, due to how the author writes and the number of characters in this book. Once I got into it, I really enjoyed it and had a difficult time setting it down.
Michelle
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to #netgalley for a free ARC of this book. Review to come!
Peter R Amelotte
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was excellent and engaging to provide a glimpse of what native american life was like after the civil war beyond the stereotypical .
Abigail (Abbe)
  • Naamah
  • House of Purple Cedar
  • Waste Tide
  • The Glovemaker
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • Courting Mr. Lincoln
  • Borderland
  • The Devil's Bride
  • Pet
  • The Future of Another Timeline
Margaret Verble, an enrolled citizen of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, has set her novel on her family’s Indian allotment land near Ft. Gibson, OK. She currently lives in Lexington, Kentucky.

Verble is a successful business woman and novelist. Her consulting work has taken her to most states and to several foreign countries. Upon the publication of her debut novel, Maud’s Line, Margaret whittled