Start by marking “The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face

The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face

Written by a foremost Christian men's leader, this powerful book invites men to take a probing look at their identities, relationships, finances, time, temperament, and the means to bring about lasting change in their lives.
Published January 30th 2000 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Mirror, please sign up.
Joseph Tavernier It gets pretty uncomfortable in the section on relationships and I have no doubt that the other would always vote conservative. I'm not sure I would g…moreIt gets pretty uncomfortable in the section on relationships and I have no doubt that the other would always vote conservative. I'm not sure I would go as far to say that the book itself is right wing but the other two assessments are pretty fair.(less)

Start your review of The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
Nicolas
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is firmly planted in the 1980's. It is in desperate need of a revised edition. Like any devotional it was hit-and-miss for me. It had some segments that really put things in perspective for me and others that just didn't apply at all. Overall I think it's worth the read, but again, please update it.
Brandon Perry
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best books I've read so far. Every topic in here is a real struggle in manhood, and I believe the author gives great pointers on how to keep our true focus on Christ. Then he finishes the book with a great chapter on accountability partners, a hard thing for almost all men as we are afraid to be vulnerable. Highly recommend anyone who is looking to make an authentic change in their life to not just read this book, but study it.
Matt Brandt
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Every man should read this book, it will help you be a better man. This is a book I will buy for others.
Marty
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know where to start. This book didn't age well. Even the update can't save it from deep misogynistic undertones. For a book about all men's struggles I felt like I needed to be watching more sports to get this. It's wisdom seemed pretty run-of-the-mill Conservative Christian. Growing up in the church there wasn't much new here to me. A good friend of mine, a man, gave me this. I read it for him. Because I love him and care about him as a friend. And because he reads books I recommend (an ...more
Craig
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this a great book for men, but I think women would gain a lot from reading this book as well. Although written specifically for men, some of the principles are applicable to women as well. Further, I recommend this to wives, as I think it will help you better understand what goes on in the mind of your husband. This book kicked my butt in many place and challenged me. I will for sure revisit this book and work my way through the application questions at the end of each chapter. I als ...more
Douglas
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. A book for the Christian man to help him live up to his role.
Chadster
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book reveals many truths... all men who are serious about growing as a Godly man should read this book.
Jason Grubbs
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The one book besides the Bible that every man should read. Pat Morley knows men and the struggles they face.
Truman Rexti
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every christian man. Get the 2014 version (update from this version)
This my current daily bread. It speaks to every man.
Dean Scott
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
ugh.
John Lawless
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Every man should read this book, it is life changing.
John Eck
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, helpful reminders for life. Mostly practical application of scripture, lots of Proverbs. Worth keeping on the bookshelf for reference during times of struggle. I did have issue with a couple of recurring themes.
1) a few passages urging readers to “claim” a certain Scripture as a promise. Both references took the verse out of its intended context. It appeared the author was almost trying to force God to honor a perceived promise.
2) in the financial section...citing the 10% tithe as a s
Joseph Tavernier
This book has so many problems. The first part of the book he frequently sets up paragraphs as if he is going one way and then the paragraph ends with sentence advocating the opposite. Other times he's vague or broad enough that you can read whatever you want into it, which is pointless here. For example, every time he talks about a couple where the men and the women both work the relationship is always doomed. He never clarifies if it was because their commitment to making money distracted from ...more
Jeff Abramovitz
Man in the mirror is a timeless overarching analysis and reference book about the main issues every man (and woman) faces as a Christian. Yes, some of the stories and analogies are dated as the book has been in print a number of years. Morley has updated it, I believe, as my version included more recent stories including social media and updated contemporary references sprinkled throughout the book. But, the test of a timeless book is whether or not the issues it addresses are still relevant or ...more
Ben Reynolds
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who want to know what real manhood looks like, this book is a great place to start. It's well-written, comprehensive, and was a pleasure to read for my personal worship time each day. Morley challenges us to become the men that God has created us to be by placing every aspect of our lives under the lordship of Jesus. This has never been more important than it is today. As another author put it, 'The greatest want of the world is the want of men—men who will not be bought or sold, men w ...more
Christopher Horne
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is for all men especially those who are not satisfied with life, those who have some type of 'void' in their life. You believe in God and attend church but have not dug deep for peace in your soul. There is a subtle difference between 'going to church' as a cultural person of faith and basing your whole life on the Bible. Patrick Morley writes to challenges these tenants in his book "MAN IN THE MIRROR" - What do I see?
Erik Rostad
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
So many of the books I read are how to achieve goals and have more productivity. But it’s important to take a step back every now and then and read a book that challenges you to make sure you have the right goals to begin with. That you are heading in the direction you should be going. Otherwise, achiveing goals that lead to the wrong result is not going to be helpful. This was a helpful book in a variety of areas.
Brandon Leatherman
I really enjoyed reading this book! It is full of Godly wisdom and sound advice, and more than once, while reading it, I was surprised to read about problems and issues that are going on in my own life. I normally read this book over lunch, and didn't have a pen so that I could underline or take notes, so I will have to go back and re-read it in the near future to glean even more wisdom from where I can!

It's a must-read for men!
Michael Vincent
My third time (at least) through. His 25th anniversary edition does have a few changes and comes in an inexpensive paperback edition which we make available to visitors of our church. Morley hits so many of men's nails on the head as he describes different struggles men face, and gives healthy answers to these issues. A great book to use for a men's group.
Jeff Collins
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
all men face the same temptations.
this is a practical book that doesn't mince words.
I have read through and refer to it for strength from time to time
I gave a copy of this to my teenage son when I caught him doing some things he shouldn't
Andy Sullivan
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really think that this book is a great read for any modern male. You're going to enjoy this book if you're one who likes to learn, have their horizons broadened. There's even a section in the back for teachers who choose to use this book as a teaching manual.
Jason Nather
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the updated version and it did not feel dated. This has got to be one of the most comprehensive and practical books on men's discipleship out there, and it subtly lays out some deep biblical theology.
Jonathan
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best resources for men's ministry I have ever read. I would highly recommend this book to any man who struggles with any part of his walk with God, his family, his work, or in personal matters. It is a comprehensive approach to men's discipleship.
Jason
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very succinct writing on problems every man is facing. Used it in a men's group and for my own private encouragement and challenge. Every man needs the reminders, warnings, and encouragement to be found inside these pages.
Anthony
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, own, family
A great book to help deal with some struggles we all face. it helps you know you're not alone in the struggles you face.
Jomel Maroma
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the best books I've read this 2017!
Matthew
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity, manhood
Insightful, somewhat engaging, practical.
Evghenii Sologubenco
Not a bad book. At times it feels like DIY Christian life. Addresses very important issues in lives of men.
Rock Conner
It started slowly for me, but as it progressed it got moving & challenged me. I read this in prep for a men's group & now I'm looking forward to the discussions. ...more
John Cornelius
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really helpful book. Filled with great insights, scripture references, and guiding questions for resourcefulness. Would definitely recommend this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Surfing for God: Discovering the Divine Desire Beneath Sexual Struggle
  • Rise: Get Up and Live in God's Great Story
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word
  • 13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi
  • I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
  • Decision Points
  • Tender Warrior: God's Intention for a Man
  • As Iron Sharpens Iron: Building Character in a Mentoring Relationship
  • Devil at My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II
  • Pathways: How God's Providence Works in Your Life
  • Hell's Best Kept Secret
  • Take Up the Shield: Comparing the Uniform of the Police Officer & the Armor of God
  • A Call to Die: A 40 Day Journey of Fasting from the World & Feasting on God