Start by marking “The Ghost Road” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Road

The Ghost Road

Ghosts, a family curse, buried secrets -- and two girls who have to figure it all out. A new book from an acclaimed author, for fans of Coraline, Doll Bones and The Night Gardener.

Published September 4th 2018 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Road

Start your review of The Ghost Road
Hilary
3.5 stars. Ruth goes to stay with her Aunt for the summer. After her mother died Ruth would spend the summer with her father whose job as a botanist would take them to other countries. This year her dad is taking his new wife. Ruth's summer begins by making new friends, exploring the countryside and learning about family secrets. When the girls uncover evidence of what appears to be a family curse on twin girls dying young, they seek to find answers.

The 3/4 of the book were very enjoyable, we en
Manybooks
Mel (Epic Reading)
Canadian writer Charis Cotter starts out The Ghost Road with a strong description of the Maritimes in Canada. She describes a lovely setting that includes the natural area, cute lighthouses, cottage-type housing and the coastal shore. One of the best lines in the book is:
"You’re walking on a fairy path, my love, and just because you don’t believe in them, doesn’t mean they won’t come after you."
We start to get a sense of the magic that might lie just beyond or within the coastal area. Unfortuna
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2018
MY REVIEW: 4/5 STARS

I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review from Penguin Random House Canada!

Do not judge a book by it's cover nor should you ever judge a book by it's direct audience age. I must admit when I first received the copy of The Ghost Road, I was very skeptical. I wondered if I would actually enjoy it because young readers or middle school age novels weren't really my thing. I find the writing to be too simplistic at times but Charis Cotter has a way with words that made i
Kristen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middlegrade
I was kindly provided with a review copy from the publisher thanks to LibraryThing.

Review can also be found on my blog.

I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it was well written and fairly interesting. On the other hand, I didn't love it.

Right away I was sucked into the story and immediately intrigued by the mystery surrounding Ruth and all the twins in her family. I was getting Parent Trap vibes at first, if The Parent Trap was having some kind of Halloween special or something
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
Oh goodness. Second but far from last book by Cotter. I don't even really like ghost stories, either. Now you my followers know that I reserve five star ratings for books I recommend to just about everybody, those books that are of the most universal appeal. This may not be quite that perfect & special... but... young me would have read it over and over and over again. So I'm letting her tack on a full star right there, onto current me's strong four stars.

The thing is, though, I'm having trouble
Vikki VanSickle
Another fantastic, atmospheric ghost story from Charis Cotter. Satisfies that family curse, twins are creepy, Irish ghost stories are the best ghost stories kind of itch. Also doubles as a love letter to Newfoundland, complete with partridgeberry desserts!
Literary Redhead
THE GHOST ROAD tells the tale with engaging text and beautiful illustrations of two girls desperately trying to uncover a secret that has haunted their family for generations. Atmospheric and highly suspenseful. 5/5

Thank you to the author, Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#TheGhostRoad #NetGalley
Why do ghosts haunt? Because they have unfinished business. Because there is something that keeps them on earth until they have completed their mission.

Ruth has gone to Newfoundland for the Summer to visit her cousin Ruby, who she discovers looks very much like her. It is almost as though they are twins. But that is not the weirdest thing. Because although Ruth doesn't believe in ghosts and visions and having the Sight, she starts experiencing the moment she gets to her Aunt Dolly's house, star
Ana
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review from Penguin Random House.

I actually enjoyed reading this book from the very beginning. I was hooked up the moment I met bought Ruby and Ruth. I was also intrigued with Eldred. The pacing and plot twist of this book was good. I was able to guess part of it but overall it was nice read. It’s definitely a good book for middle-graders
Kat
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-review-book
* received ARC from publisher in exchange for an honest review *

ACTUAL: 4.75/5

Set in 1970’s Newfoundland, Ghost Road is a spooky middle grade tale by Canadian author Charis Cotter. Ruth’s first adventure to the east coast is full of dark secrets, ghost stories, and a curse threatening her family.

Despite being a middle grade novel, it had a well developed complex plot and was full of suspense. I loved the detailed family history, and the villainous curse that followed the members for generations
Shelly Seward
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**I received an eARC from NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada in exchange for an honest review.**

I just love Charis Cotter's storytelling. Whenever I read her books I am so happy that I am living here in Newfoundland and immediately want to find out where these ghost stories took place. Her stories are so atmospheric and just pull me in every time. Her descriptions of Newfoundland landscape are impeccable. Even though her books are geared to middle graders, I think any ages can read them.
Rebecca Upjohn
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cousins, twin mothers, the Sight, a curse, wildflowers, partridgeberry muffins, the sea, gannets, a ghost road, storytellers, a witch, step mothers, fairies, visions, storms, secrets, family and Newfoundland. The twelve year old in me loved this book.

The short chapters make it a page turner and the relationship between Ruth and Ruby deepens as the story progresses. I could imagine myself in the story. The setting is vivid and the language evocative. The story is told in a gentle way that keeps
Amanda Work
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect ghost story for youngsters who are beginning to broaden their literary experiences to include the darker side of the human condition. The ghosts in this story are presented to Ruth, the young protagonist, as benevolent and helpful apparitions who want to help Ruth overcome a family curse and lay a Dar past to rest.

The story is compelling with a smooth narrative from Ruth's point of view. The author gently reminds the reader that children are both stronger, smarter and braver
Wensday
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was an amazing ghost story. The story has so many plot twists and exciting moments, it will keep any reader engaged. The characters in the book are brought to life by Charis Cotter, even the ones gone long ago. I suggest this for anyone that enjoys a great mystery and ghost story.

I received the ebook from NetGalley for my honest review.
Keitha
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Newfoundland ghost story full of family secrets. A little spooky, but with lots of heart.
Emilia
I bought this book thanks to the beautiful artwork for the cover. It was a risky move because I didn’t know anything about the author, and to be honest The ghost road could easily have been a disappointment but it wasn’t... until it was.

I loved the atmosphere, the descriptions of Newfoundland were enchanting. I also enjoyed the overall mood of this book. Unfortunately, the more I read of the story the more flaws I found.

The middle part of the novel was slow. There were too many generations of F
Kathy
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of two young girls who are trying to uncover a secret that has existed for years and years and which could impact negatively on each one of them. For the first time in her life Ruth goes to Newfoundland one summer to stay with a relative. Once there, Ruth discovers she has a whole history she was never told about. Throughout her life, Ruth has always traveled all over with her father looking for and taking samples of plants they discover. This year, however, her father ...more
J.L. Slipak
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

I am such a HUGE Charis Cotter fan! I’ve read everything she’s written. The fact that she’s a Canadian author who centers her work around Newfoundland is a hidden bonus! My mother is from Newfoundland and I’ve been and loved it! My extended family is from there too!
If you want to see what else she’s written go here: http://www.chariscotter.ca/

She wrote: The Painting and The Swallow too

You’ll discover a mystery surrounding twins an
Gabriele Goldstone
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Great ghost story. Great setting on the Newfoundland coast. Appropriate for a middle-grade scare.
Michael Kott
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jake-zoe
I received this book from Random House Canada (Tundra Books) in exchange for an honest review, which is what they will get.
The Ghost Road synopsis reads:
For the first time, Ruth is heading to Newfoundland to stay with family she's never met instead of spending the summer traveling with her dad. When she arrives, she finds Newfoundland is very different from her life in Toronto--people there are much more friendly, but also superstitious, believing in ghosts and The Sight and family curses. Ruth'
Books, Cooks, & Hooks
A ghostly presence in the night, a family curse, and a road only a select few can see, make this the type of delightfully spooky book that will keep you up at night, no matter what age you are.

Ruth has had the same nightmare for as long as she can remember. She is on a sinking ship and her late mother is shouting her name. She thinks it's just a dream until she visits her mother's hometown for the summer. She realizes there's more to the dream than she thought, and that it may not be a dream at
Stephanie Ward
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Ghost Road' is a fantastic new addition to the middle grade paranormal genre - and one that fans of the genre are going to want to pick up. I really enjoyed this book, more than I anticipated actually, and every aspect of it was done wonderfully. I loved Ruth and Ruby as main characters and getting to know both of them was fun. The story is told from Ruth's point of view (the first person) which is my favorite writing style, so that was a huge plus for me personally. I think the reader gets ...more
Kaylei Turner
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book !! It was a great book. It was about Ruby and Ruth, lost twins, have to fight to get rid of this curse. The curse in the Finns family goes way back. As long as the twins keep running in the Finns family every twin will die young and never see their children grow up. Not only that, but one twin has the "Sight". This means that twin can see ghosts, the past, and the future. Ruby and Ruth went through a lot. They were at their aunts and had a summer to stop this curse. Can they do ...more
Christine
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for middle schoolers. A perfect combination of likable characters, beautiful setting and engaging storytelling. I’m packing my bags for Newfoundland now.
Cat
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable ghost story! I love the fairy stories I've read about in Newfoundland and thought this one might be entertaining as it too takes place there! I wasn't disappointed. It's a good solid story of a ghost trying to take care of unfinished business with the help of two young girls Ruth and Ruby. I think 5th grade up would enjoy this tale. It's really quite a good story! Even teens may enjoy it.

I received a Kindle Arc in exchange for a fair review from Netgalley.
Ranie Elias
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I began reading books from this author after my 8 year old niece recommended them...I really enjoy her literature, however I felt there are unnecessary scary scenes for children. There were quite a few funny scenes too, although it gets a bit confusing when she tries to explain the families histories and their relatives! highly recommend....
Nancy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great middle grade novel with enough twists and turns to keep any reader turning pages! Very enjoyable read!
Pop Bop
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Done Just Right.

There isn't much that's new or novel in this book. Ghosts, a curse, family secrets, spunky girl cousins with distinct but complementary personalities. The test, of course, is what you do with those basic ingredients. Happily, as in her earlier book, "The Swallow", Cotter does a remarkable job of combining these ingredients into a very tasty and satisfying treat.

Front and center, the choice of Newfoundland as the setting for the tale is inspired. Moody, rainy and windswept, subjec
Karen
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ruth has never visited Newfoundland and is doing so for the first time somewhat against her will. Her father is recently remarried and Ruth calls her step-mother, Awful Gwen. Ruth has been sent to stay with family for the summer while her father and Awful Gwen conduct research in South America. From the first night of her stay in her aunt's old house, Ruth begins to experience visions and see ghosts. Her same-age cousin, Ruby, soon joins her in the guest room and their resemblance is uncanny. Th ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lalani of the Distant Sea
  • Almost Invisible
  • The High Climber of Dark Water Bay
  • Cinders and Sparrows
  • The Only Road (The Only Road #1)
  • The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street
  • Absent
  • The House in Poplar Wood
  • Unbroken (Ruined, #2)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Powerless (Supers of Noble's Green, #1)
  • Eight Keys
  • The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge
Charis Cotter is a writer, editor and storyteller living in Newfoundland. She grew up in Cabbagetown and Parkdale in downtown Toronto. After taking a degree in English at Glendon College, York University, she went on to study acting at The Drama Studio in London, England. After several years as an actor, she moved into publishing, where she has been working as a freelance editor and writer for mor ...more

News & Interviews