Start by marking “The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies” as Want to Read:
The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

Since the Pikes Peak gold rush in the mid–nineteenth century, women have gone into the mountains of Colorado to hike, climb, ski, homestead, botanize, act as guides, practice medicine, and meet a variety of other challenges, whether for sport or for livelihood. Janet Robertson recounts their exploits in a lively, well-illustrated book that measures up to its title, The Mag ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 276 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Bison Books (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Magnificent Mountain Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magnificent Mountain Women

Emily Palm
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mountaineering
Finally, a book that actually acknowledges the contributions that women have made to the sport of mountaineering. I checked this book out from the library, but am realizing it must become a part of my collection as I find myself bringing up various tidbits I read in conversations.

Robertson covers a wide spectrum of women throughout the past century that have accomplished feats you don't read about in other historical mountaineering books. Compelling writing makes this an enjoyable as well as ed
Martha
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-fun
I got this book as a gift twenty-five years ago and I finally had the chance to read it!

Janet Robertson has kind of a tough job with this book. She has chosen to write about as many as she can of the women in Colorado's early days. There are actually many incredible women and Robertson had to choose. There are many fascinating stories in this compendium and I enjoyed reading it very much. I got to meet "Doc Susie" -- the only doctor in the Granby/Winter Park area for many years at the end of the
Trish Tomes
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, history
From 1858 to the present (book was published in 1990), women "took to the hill" or rather, the Colorado Rockies. They climbed, skied, established tea houses, inns, out-door schools, and doctored. Some were born in the state, others came for their health, came with their parents or spouses, and others came for the adventure, to homestead for a place of their own, to carry on alpine botanic studies. Each of the women portrayed here were exceptional in their accomplishments.
A very interesting read.
Nancy
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The content was great, the writing style was hard.
Jen
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for mountain stories
Sharon McCleary
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book. Interesting how women played such a major part in mountain climbing in Colorado.
Xzs
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is rich with history, spanning generations of mountain minded women with varying passions ranging from climbing to homesteading to geology. The book deposits the reader into Colorado’s rugged and alluring landscapes with tales of boldness, veracity and determination. It was a fascinating smorgasbord of Colorado’s female trailblazers. Among the most memorable is Doc Susie, a medical doctor practicing frontier medicine at the turn of the 19th century. I snail-paced through this book, abs ...more
Barbara
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Down-to-earth collection of stories about women who pioneered studying, climbing, enjoying and protecting the Rocky Mountains. Makes me wonder what could have been accomplished if more women felt they were allowed to do as much as men. Or forced to.
Amy
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It took a little while to get into the writing style. However once I did I enjoyed the book. The chapter I enjoyed the least was the last chapter which was on the modern mountain women. It was a case of the author being too close to the subject to allow it to be as conversational as the rest of the book. There were technical terms used which felt more like an instructional manual than a history telling . Also the last chapter jumped around suddenly between the stories of women. It felt like it w ...more
Megan
A great collection of outstanding Colorado women and their contributions to the advancement of women in outdoor activities. The book begins with the first women to climb notable Colorado peaks (i.e. Longs, Pikes, etc.). But the book also encompasses women influential in the establishment of several Colorado National Park Service units, guides, botanists, conservationists, and so much more. An inspirational and motivational read for women who love the outdoors!
Rae
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Read for CO History book club. A look at women living in and climbing mountains of Colorado. Some are climbers; others homesteaders. Parts of it are very interesting; others seems like author's friends have been added. A few of the women seemed to take unnecessary risks for no very good reason. Probably not something I would have read on my own.
Emily
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
So far I have only just started today 7.7.10. I will add more when I am abit further in the book. I finished this book on 7.17.10 and it was very interesting about how women played an important role in the history of our National Parks here in Colorado.
Rebecca
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was awesome. It was a bunch of short essays about women who went against the norm and climbed mountains when most women wouldn't even dream of such a thing. Some of them would even wear pants! How scandalous. Great, inspiring read.
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Very impressive what these women have done! LOVED IT.
Anne
I loved learning about the historical figures who paved the way for women in outdoor sports. The writing read more like a text book than memoir, and so it was rather dry.
Judy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't usually like books that are essentially a collection of shorter stories. But I enjoyed this, maybe because I already knew a little about most of these women.
Joanne
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Didn't enjoy this book much. The author was a little too overcome with how unfair life has been for women.
Alishia
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well organized. Brimming with interesting stories of a full array of pioneering women in our fascinating state. Lots of photos. Loved it.
Nancy