Start by marking “The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)” as Want to Read:
The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)

The Beasts of Grimheart

(The Five Realms #3)

The bard looks up at the three figures. They have black hooded cloaks and long robes. From the holes in their masks, three pairs of eyes watch him: cold, calm, emotionless.'Yes,' says the bard. 'They're bonedancers. You don't need to sound quite so excited, though. They have come to kill me.'

And so it is that the bard and and his young apprentice Rue are taken to Spinestone, the templeemotionless.'Yes,'
ebook
Published September 4th 2018 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Beasts of Grimheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beasts of Grimheart

Elwen
Es muss nicht immer der 800-Seiten Fantasywälzer sein. Manchmal möchte man einfach nur dem Barden am Lagerfeuer lauschen. Auch wenn das diesmal ein ziemlich ungemütliches Lagerfeuer war ;)
Layla
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magical fast paced fantasy that reminds me of the fantastic Redwall series I adored as a child!

The illustrations are stunning and this story is so beautifully told. The characters are so well written that you fall in love with them instantly. The sense of trust, loyalty and love is interwoven in every chapter.

I can't wait to read more when the next book is out later this year!
Ysgrublaidd
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Het einde van de trilogie... maar eigenlijk vraagt het om meer. Al zag ik op de site van Kieran Larwood dat er aan een nieuwe trilogie wordt gewerkt die in dezelfde wereld afspeelt. Andere karakters, dat dan weer wel. Want ergens kreeg ik toch het gevoel dat er meer verhaal zit achter dit slotdeel. Ja, het sluit de trilogie mooi af met een laatste veldslag die voor vrede zorgt, maar iets duisters blijft toch hangen. Wie weet komen we Podkin (en Paz en Poek) in de toekomst nog eens tegen, want ik ...more
Grace Quinn
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. It's like a perfect communion between watership down and lotr. Such creative world building and lore. And the character growth throughout, especially for Podkin, is excellent.
Arkham Reviews
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
It's really nice to see that this series is still going from strength to strength, with this third instalment being equally as strong as the second. Podkin's world just grows in complexity by the novel, as he comes to meet yet more different tribes of rabbits and learns of their customs and beliefs as he recruits them into the battle for the Gorn.

Yet this novel also goes further this time, brushing the origins of the Gormalech and further hinting at what the nature of the Ancients wh
Rachael
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in the Five Realms series and, as with the first two, both the cover (Fernando López Juárez) and interior (David Wyatt) illustrations are stunning and perfectly matched to the book. The cover had me so excited about what this instalment would bring and felt so in keeping with the story so far, while David Wyatt's soft pencil sketches inside are full of detail and atmosphere.

The story itself picks up where The Gifts of Dark Hollow left us, and it is, like the first t
Stephen Connor
The Bard is caught by the Bonedancers, charged with bringing their name into disrepute, so he has to tell the story of Podkin One-Ear’s epic battle with the Gorm.

Essentially, this is one great big build up to a climactic battle between Podkin’s army (though he still doesn’t see himself as a chief) and the Gorm, led by the incorrigible Scramashank.

Podkin learns about his family, and his respect for Paz grows and grows throughout the tale, which is one of my favourite elements. He also comes int
Lizz Axnick
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book not realizing it was the last book in a trilogy. However, I felt like the author gave us enough clues to prior stories that you could read this and understand it without having read the previous books in the series.

The story is about a world run by rabbits. An evil entity has possessed some of the rabbits and turned them into Gorm, who are determined to destroy the forest and all its inhabitants. The plot itself is a story within a story, about a bard who must tell a tale in ord
Emma
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is just so good. The world is vibrant and brimming with life, and the story just keeps getting deeper and more interesting with each instalment. Podkin, Paz and Pook are winning characters and the cast that surround them are equally as compelling. Larwood uses his words with magic - spinning a universe of colour that you can't help but be drawn into. I love the story within a story framework and how this gives the series room to move while still allowing for a satisfying conclusion. ...more
Sophie Anderson
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfection! Adventure, danger, humour, and heart ... The Five Realms books have everything that makes a good story and more besides! I've read each of the books as bedtime stories with my 12 & 9 year olds and we all adore them. They have stimulated discussions and dreams, inspired art and creative writing, and made my children gasp and giggle. I wish I could bottle the happiness these tales have brought us! I'm so pleased there are more books on the way :)
Jodie Cotgreave
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE this series, each new volume brings with it, action adventure and truely loveable characters. This installment feels a smidge more mature with the development of moral lessons weaved within the narrative.
As a 33 year old bookseller this is absolutely one of my favourite fantasy series and i'd highly recommend it to kids and adults alike.
Robin Stevens
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite ongoing children's series. I think it's fantastic - the Redwall of today! (8+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Kieran Fanning
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it as much as the previous two. The story inside a story structure works so well. Brilliantly written with a magnificent battle at the end. If Tolkien wrote Watership Down for kids, this is what you'd get. The Five Realms is such a good series. A modern day classic. 5 stars!
John Fulton
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb ending to the Podkin trilogy. Fast-paced, exciting, funny, and moving in turns. There are echoes of Tolkien in places, and a villain that combines the worst of the Borg and a Lovecraftian mad god. Brilliant stuff.
Martha Meyer
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific ending to this story of Podkin One Ear and his eventual defeat of the GORM.
Gareth Baker
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real triumph!
Trixie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! I don't know what else there is to say! Can't wait for the next one!
Pebbles
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Für mich das beste Buch der Reihe!
Da sieht man mal, dass Kinderbücher nicht nur etwas für Kleine sind.
Dominic Loxley
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, just like the rest of the series, is INCREDIBLE. All i can say without spoiling the series is just do your self a favour and READ IT!
The Book Octopus
Completely took my breath away! AMAZING!!
Nathan
Aug 11, 2019
Vera
Nov 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kieran Larwood is the author of Freaks, and was the winner of the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition 2011.
Kieran is one of only two male Reception class teachers on the Isle of Wight.
His days mainly consist of singing nursery rhymes, tying shoelaces, trying to locate who has had an ‘accident’ by sense of smell alone, and vast, endless mountains of paperwork.
Kieran grad

The Five Realms (3 books)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)