Start by marking “The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)” as Want to Read:
The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)

The Beasts of Grimheart

(The Five Realms #3)

From the winner of the Blue Peter Best Story Book Award, the third instalment of Podkin's epic battle against the Gorm.

The bard looks up at the three figures. They have black hooded cloaks and long robes. From the holes in their masks, three pairs of eyes watch him: cold, calm, emotionless.
'Yes,' says the bard. 'They're bonedancers. You don't need to sound quite so excited
ebook
Published September 4th 2018 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Beasts of Grimheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beasts of Grimheart

Start your review of The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)
Layla
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magical fast paced fantasy that reminds me of the fantastic Redwall series I adored as a child!

The illustrations are stunning and this story is so beautifully told. The characters are so well written that you fall in love with them instantly. The sense of trust, loyalty and love is interwoven in every chapter.

I can't wait to read more when the next book is out later this year!
Jonathan
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is shaping up to be one of the best in recent memory. Has kept up the quality for 3 books so far. Excellent stuff. Both my 8 year old and I are completely addicted.
Grace Quinn
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. It's like a perfect communion between watership down and lotr. Such creative world building and lore. And the character growth throughout, especially for Podkin, is excellent. ...more
Niki (nikilovestoread)
My kids and I raced through the Podkin series. It was fun, action-packed, had great characters, and we didn't want to stop reading it each night. There were many nights where my kids begged me to read just one more chapter. I love seeing how excited they were about the series. We're looking forward to revisiting the Five Realms in the Uki books. ...more
Rachael
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third in the Five Realms series and, as with the first two, both the cover (Fernando López Juárez) and interior (David Wyatt) illustrations are stunning and perfectly matched to the book. The cover had me so excited about what this instalment would bring and felt so in keeping with the story so far, while David Wyatt's soft pencil sketches inside are full of detail and atmosphere.

The story itself picks up where The Gifts of Dark Hollow left us, and it is, like the first two books, to
Stephen Connor
The Bard is caught by the Bonedancers, charged with bringing their name into disrepute, so he has to tell the story of Podkin One-Ear’s epic battle with the Gorm.

Essentially, this is one great big build up to a climactic battle between Podkin’s army (though he still doesn’t see himself as a chief) and the Gorm, led by the incorrigible Scramashank.

Podkin learns about his family, and his respect for Paz grows and grows throughout the tale, which is one of my favourite elements. He also comes int
Lizz Axnick
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book not realizing it was the last book in a trilogy. However, I felt like the author gave us enough clues to prior stories that you could read this and understand it without having read the previous books in the series.

The story is about a world run by rabbits. An evil entity has possessed some of the rabbits and turned them into Gorm, who are determined to destroy the forest and all its inhabitants. The plot itself is a story within a story, about a bard who must tell a tale in ord
Emma
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is just so good. The world is vibrant and brimming with life, and the story just keeps getting deeper and more interesting with each instalment. Podkin, Paz and Pook are winning characters and the cast that surround them are equally as compelling. Larwood uses his words with magic - spinning a universe of colour that you can't help but be drawn into. I love the story within a story framework and how this gives the series room to move while still allowing for a satisfying conclusion. ...more
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
After having taken years to pick up the first book in the series, despite a friend telling me I’d like it a lot, I’ve absolutely zoomed through this series these last few months and just fallen in love with the world and narrative style. In the series, a bard and his young apprentice have been travelling around and learning about the tale of Podkin One-Ear, a legendary rabbit who came up against the terrifying Gorm, who want to enslave all rabbits and destroy nature. This time, the bard must fin ...more
Jodie Cotgreave
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE this series, each new volume brings with it, action adventure and truely loveable characters. This installment feels a smidge more mature with the development of moral lessons weaved within the narrative.
As a 33 year old bookseller this is absolutely one of my favourite fantasy series and i'd highly recommend it to kids and adults alike.
Robin Stevens
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite ongoing children's series. I think it's fantastic - the Redwall of today! (8+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Rick Stuckwisch
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a strong conclusion to the trilogy, which also sets up a "sequel series" (yet to be released in the United States). The characters are careful, endearing, and interesting, and both the setting and the storyline are well developed. The writing moves along smoothly and carries the story well. ...more
Kafl
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book in the series and it is as captivating as the previous two. I love the setup of the bard telling the story of long ago with multiple interludes. The characters of Podkin and Paz are developing, these bunny kittens are forced to grow up quickly and learn about adult interactions while trying to fight off a gorm army. A great read!
Kieran Fanning
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it as much as the previous two. The story inside a story structure works so well. Brilliantly written with a magnificent battle at the end. If Tolkien wrote Watership Down for kids, this is what you'd get. The Five Realms is such a good series. A modern day classic. 5 stars! ...more
John Fulton
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb ending to the Podkin trilogy. Fast-paced, exciting, funny, and moving in turns. There are echoes of Tolkien in places, and a villain that combines the worst of the Borg and a Lovecraftian mad god. Brilliant stuff.
Tom Malinowski
We get more insight to the formations of the Gorm and the origins of the world. Podkin acquires more of the Twelve Gifts but at what cost? His army grows with some interesting compatriots. Stunning conclusion but I'm glad to hear there will be more books concerning the Five Realms. ...more
Esther
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book in this fantasy series! I really like Rue as a character and how much energy he has! I think this one was my favourite so far because the way the two storylines were melded together was really interesting. This series is so amazing and gripping, I really recommend! (10+)
The Book Octopus
Completely took my breath away! AMAZING!!
Trixie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! I don't know what else there is to say! Can't wait for the next one! ...more
Dominic Loxley
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, just like the rest of the series, is INCREDIBLE. All i can say without spoiling the series is just do your self a favour and READ IT!
Martha Meyer
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific ending to this story of Podkin One Ear and his eventual defeat of the GORM.
Gareth Baker
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real triumph!
Anne
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Satisfying end to a great series.
Nobi Nobes
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great!
Julie Akeman
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hope he's planning on writing more because I really loved this book. ...more
Fons
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favourite children's fantasy and honestly better than a lot of adult fantasy out there.
A great conclusion to the first saga.

5 stars, a classic
Kerry
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is one of the best set of books I have read with my children.
Merije
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _ereader, fantasy
A worthy finish to the trilogy. Another lovely read, scary but not too much, sweet but not ridiculously so.
As soon as the last book of the next trilogy is finished, I'm diving in!
Mandy
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Read it to the 8 year old. We really enjoyed them. Looking forward to the next books...
Robert
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't really have a problem with the writing itself because the writing is what drew me to this series although I remember a particular repeating of a certain writing device to allude to events in previous books that irked me on my first read through of this book.

My major issue with this book and as a result this series is two things.
1: There is a major revelation in this book that I feel was not to the benefit of the series and would have been better left unstated in the definite.
2: Paz is c

• Orphans of the Tide (Orphans of the Tide #1)
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Lost Tide Warriors (Storm Keeper, #2)
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Good Thieves
  • High-rise Mystery
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Boy Who Grew Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #1)
  • Orion Lost
  • Das Rätsel der schwarzen Blume (Duftapotheke #2)
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • Willow Moss & the Forgotten Tale (Starfell, #2)
  • Crater Lake
  • Brightstorm
Kieran Larwood is the author of Freaks, and was the winner of the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition 2011.
Kieran is one of only two male Reception class teachers on the Isle of Wight.
His days mainly consist of singing nursery rhymes, tying shoelaces, trying to locate who has had an ‘accident’ by sense of smell alone, and vast, endless mountains of paperwork.
Kieran graduated from S

The Five Realms (6 books)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • Uki and the Outcasts