Start by marking “Seven-Sided Spy” as Want to Read:
Seven-Sided Spy

Seven-Sided Spy

In the midst of the cold war, the CIA’s finest and most fatal female agent, Diana Riley, vanishes. Kidnapped by the KGB and taken to the backcountry of North Carolina, she and her team of unsavory partners are forced to undergo illegal experimentation.

But, when the experiments leave them horribly deformed and unable to reenter society without someone crying monster, the pr
ebook
Published January 15th 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Seven-Sided Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven-Sided Spy

Emma
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seven-Sided Spy is an intriguing debut novel about a diverse group of CIA and KGB agents during the Cold War. I started this thinking I was in for an action-packed spy thriller, and while this didn’t play out at all how I expected it to, I think I enjoyed the story more for that.

Set largely in the wilderness of North Carolina, this book follows two rival teams of spies: a group of CIA agents on the run, and the trio of KGB agents hunting them. Due to the unforeseen complications of scientific ex
Jane Shambler
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has to be one of the weirdest books I have ever read. My advise is to ignore the back cover.

It is set during the cold war when the spy network was at its peak with the CIA, KGB and MI5. The three countries are involved in this book. The best of the best from America and the UK are captured, kidnapped and experimented upon. The experiments make them in to something like monsters. They are hugely disfigured and have superhuman strength. Yes, they escape and are hiding out in the mountains in
Endlesscribbles
A very intriguing novel by this first time author. The story is full of twists and turns where you could never really tell who were the good or bad guys. CIA or KGB.
For me it was a little bit of a hard read because I had a hard time keeping up with real names, code names, and who was who. The names are constantly changing between one or the other. As well as trying to keep up with what period of time the story was in. I normally have no problem with flashbacks in a storyline and quite enjoy them
Jess
This book was provided for free by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review.

This was not what I was expecting, nor really what was advertised. What was I expecting? Well, spies. Queer spies. WLW spies. Maybe some cool sci-fi intrigue thrown in. But this book has a little inkling of those things mixed in with a lot of bad plot, bad characterization, and very little excitement.

This is a book about spies in which none of the spies act like spies in any way at al
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
The concept of Seven-Sided Spy is incredibly intriguing – a team of CIA spies who are taken in by the KGB for illegal experimentation? Sounds like Mission: Impossible meets X-Men, and I’m a fan of both movies, so this seemed right up my alley!

Carmack tried to do a lot with her debut novel. Between a highly diverse cast, plenty of flashbacks, a historical setting, and an exploration of grey morality, there was a lot going on in this story. Let’s break it down.

Although the blurb implies a focus on
Susan Hampson
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such an unusual story and although there were some direct clues in the blurb what I read was quite a surprise. I do enjoy stories that have that little bit of something different about them instead of the same structure and this one certainly had that. There were a bunch of some of the strangest characters in books that I have met about spies.
It is the nineteen sixties and the cold war is really bubbling away under the surface, with neither the CIA or KGB playing fair games. There isn’t
Kim
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seven-Sided Spy uses multiple perspectives to tell a complex story, and Carmack accomplishes this task well. The story itself is rather simple, despite the interesting context: three spies camp out on a mountain, while three other spies try to take them down. What elevates this story from a glorified camping trip to a very interesting read is the characters.

Each character has their own motivations, fears, and history, and the quiet moments of interpersonal interaction are the highlights of the
Kathryn
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even reading the blurb, I don't think I was fully prepared before going into this one. I admit being thrown by the constant name-changes (it was hard to keep up with everyone's real names vs. their code names, and several times I was confused) and I couldn't always tell what time period it was because there are a lot of flashbacks within the chapters (which are labeled with dates, but the flashback sections clearly jump). Part of the confusion might have added to the spy, double-crossing plot, s ...more
Amanda (abookishinvasion)
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Actual Rating: 1.5 Stars

Trigger Warnings: Physical abuse, violence, talk of drug abuse, torture, self-harm, depression

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Seven-Sided Spy follows the story of Cold War era CIA agents who have been kidnapped by the KGB for secret illegal experimentation.

Let's just go right in and start with the big problems I had. If you plan on reading this book, just go ahead and nix ALL the expectations you have
J.P. Jackson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it

I’ll be the first to admit history is not something I excelled at, so the time frame of Carmack’s Seven-Sided Spy – the Cold War – isn’t something I have any familiarity with. Having said that, Carmack’s use of slang and descriptions of fashion plunged me into the early 1960’s.
I’m also not a huge espionage-thriller type of guy, that’s more my husband’s shtick. But living with someone who loves that genre means I have had the opportunity to watch every single one of the James Bond movi
Danielle Steenrod
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this synopsis is pretty misleading. It makes you believe that Diana is the main character which is not really true. This story has a diverse cast of characters and we see through every character’s point of view, not just Diana’s. With that being said, I really liked seeing how every character was flawed and getting to know each one by learning their stories. Everyone’s stories came together at the end to create one large story.

Because of how large the cast was, it was easy to get confuse
Rebecca Langham
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seven-Sided Spy is an action-packed story of hunters and prey. Though the question begs: who is truly the prey? This novel doesn't deal in absolutes or black-and-white good guys and bad guys as is often the case in CIA vs KGB stories (I think...). Everyone's just doing what they can to survive.

This is not my usual genre, and so I must admit that I may not be the best person to provide a fair review of a historical spy novel, but I'll do my best.

The story engages with several different narrative
Duskangelreads
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an eBook of Seven-Sided Spy from the author, Hannah. Thanks so much to her!!

You can also find this review on my blog HERE

Cover Art:
Honestly, I don’t like the cover. I don’t find covers with people on them appealing. I do like the forest background part though. It looks good against the bluish colour of the girl. I am also not sure exactly who the girl on the cover is. I’m guessing it is meant to be Diana, but not 100% sure.

Writing:
I liked most aspects of the writing. It flowed well bu
A.M. Leibowitz
3.5 Stars

I’ll be honest, this didn’t end up being quite what I expected when I picked it up. When I think spy thrillers and espionage, I generally think James Bond-type stories, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that. This was much more character-driven than plot driven.

There’s a lot to like in here. I appreciated the way the characters on both sides were nuanced. There was really only one character I ended up labeling the true hero, and as expected, that’s the one who genuinely had a happy ending.
Carrie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was an interesting and unexpected read and, consequently, a bit difficult to review. It's really hard to explain without giving much away. During the Cold War, a group of CIA agents is captured by the KGB and experimented on. They escape but get trapped in a state park, leading to a standoff with three KGB agents.

The synopsis makes it seem like the majority of the story will be these two groups of agents matching wits, but there's really not a lot of plot here.There are a ton of flashbacks
Ana
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I choose this book by mistake. I thought, I don’t even know why, that there was a romance involved in the story, but what a magnificent mistake to make, It was an amazing book. I loved it.

It is under the historical genre in the publisher, but I get a bigger paranormal influence than historical from it. I also think the mystery was an important element, and certainly something I enjoyed a lot about it. The plot was fantastic, it is full of twists. It was very exciting. The book description made m
Jessica
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I was provided with a digital advanced reader copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Now that this is out of the way…

Seven-Sided Spy is a complex undertaking delving into multiple plot lines (moving forward, flashbacks) and an extensive cast of main characters. You’ll know some of the premise based on the description here on Goodreads, so I’ll just work into what I thought right now.

The premise of this book is an intriguing one to be sure, and the book itself is grea
Anna Kaye-Rogers
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a bit nervous going into this book. The first half starts slow, a bit like climbing up the mountain, and it's hard to see the future and figure out if the spies can balance out the nature part of things, but it's all a clever seduction so that by the end you're thoroughly hooked because this action narrative is on STEROIDS. Also, it is hella gay, in the best possible way. The first half is a bit light, but the second half is dense with flashbacks and twists and turns, and I think enough su ...more
Sara Codair
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Seven Sided Spy from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review and was pleasantly surprised to find it’s science fiction element was a more prominent part of the story than I initially expected.

When I read the cover copy about once attractive spies deformed and on the run from the KGB, I thought normal scarring, not superhuman abilities and blue skin. The later is much more exciting, at least in my mind.

Yes, it has speculative elements, but Seven Sided Spy is also
Becky -  Pug and Books
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seven-Sided Spy by Hannah Carmack

Star rating: ★★★★ ☆ 4/5 stars

Format: ebook ARC

Summary: Three CIA agents are kidnapped by the KGB and experimented on. The results leave them with super-human abilities but leaves them disfigured. They escape but being disfigured they cannot return back society and must evade recapture.

Review: I received a free advance copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book had a new take on the spy novel genre that I hadn't seen in another
Alex
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review also appears on my blog alexreadsboooks
________

Diana Riley, the CIA’s finest agent disappear in the middle of the Cold War, kidnapped by the KGB along with her partners Tim and Da Vinci. They come to in a KGB facility in North Carolina, altered and with strange new powers. They manage to flee, but their ordeal is not over.

The KGB sends one of their deadliest after them, Nikkola, a woman who has every reason to hate the woman she used to be in a relationship with. Can they escape her
Brianna Remus
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Original review posted on briannasbookreview.weebly.com

Review: This novel begins with intriguing and action packed scenes that follow CIA agents as they are captured by the rivaling KGB. Unexpected turn of events kept me turning the page throughout this entire book, especially the aspects of paranormal experimental transitions that each CIA agent was forced to endure after they were captured. One thing I really enjoyed was the relationships each trio of agents had on both sides. They all had his
IL Green
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This action packed novel hits the ground running from the first page, as a spy story should. I was immediately drawn in by Hannah Carmack’s superbly crafted story of intrigue that kept me flipping pages excited to see what comes next in this third person omniscient point of view tale that places LGBTQ protagonists and antagonist in positions we normally witness in mainstream action movies.

Like NFL free agents these spies change teams over time for a variety of reasons, mostly due to the convenie
USOM
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Part of Carmack's style (and something that is entirely personal for everyone) is the way Carmack weaves in stories within stories. There's our main plotline unfolding, yet at the same time, our protagonists are all drawn into their memories. As they interact with long lost rivals and uneasy alliances, they remember and reminisce on how they ended up where they are. The multiple perspective narrative style is integral to this historical web. We are allowed to see how these events unfolded and ha ...more
Eunbee Kim
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have no idea how it took me so long to update my progress when I literally finished this in two sittings?? (This was only because I was reading this around the holidays and family always gets in the way of reading..) Phenomenal. Actually should pick up my hard copy and do a reread soon so I can update this review with all of my highlights!!!!!
☾ Liz ☆ Stellar Kitten Book Reviews ☆
I was expecting more action for a spy novel but the characters spent most of the book trapped on a mountain. Although I did enjoy some of the flashbacks/stories that they revealed about themselves. Full review to come!

Full review on Stellar Kitten Book Reviews:

Blog Instagram Twitter

description

❝ Hera, nicknamed the Goddess because of her codename and notoriety, was supposed to be an honor. She was the best field operative the CIA had to offer. She had an irrefutably high success rate, but she bro
Alexis (hookedtobooks)
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you very much to the author for sending me this book to review. I really enjoyed it. This book is a mixture of historical fiction and fantasy. Set during the Cold War, a group of CIA agents are kidnapped by the KGB, and when they escape, they realize that they are quite different from before. Forced to undergo illegal experiments, they find themselves to be more monster than human, which means that when they escape, they aren't sure where to go.
The characters were a lot of fun in this one,
SacBibliophile
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF

Convoluted sentence structures.
Confusing narration.
Unsympathetic characters.

REALLY wanted to like this based on blurb.

Needs a second run at editing.

An Introvert Reads
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read_2018
2.5 Stars - This book was not for me. I thought this was going to be about spies, missions and love triangles, but nope. It was about spies having powers and being trapped in the woods. I didn't like any of the character and I was pretty bored reading it, I almost didn't finish it. Unfortunately, this was too Sci-Fi for me. The writing wasn't bad and I'm sure people that enjoy the Sci-Fi genre will maybe enjoy this.

Thank you to NineStar Press, LLC for providing me with an electronic ARC of this
Miriam
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Crosspost: TheReadingBelle.com

Historical Fiction is my favorite genre, I don't read as much anymore, but I get highly invested in periodic pieces. So, this is a LATE review...I was asked to review this book way back in 2017...like I said...I have been busy with my job and school, I don't get many opportunities to really take the time and blog. So, here is a short and ranty review.

Initially, I thought this was going to be an epic spy drama set in the Cold War Era. I agreed to review this book bec