Jump to ratings and reviews

Wealth by Virtue

Most people share a central fear: that at some point in their lives, they will need money and not have it. Wealth is the absence of that fear. Wealth by Virtue is a masterful explanation of our financial world. The book is structured around The Six Areas of Finance: banking, investments, real estate, insurance, legal planning, and tax planning. Everything in your personal finances fits into these categories. By recognizing this structure, you make them all work together and put yourself on the path to wealth-optimized decisions. Wealth by Virtue is a personal finance book that builds a conceptual framework to aim for a better financial future. In the BANKING chapter, he shows you: ... how inflation is the most certain threat to personal finances ... how most people don’t make money in banks In the chapter on INVESTMENTS, he shows you: ... how much the stock market performs each year ... how using dividends for income can actually grow your wealth in retirement In the REAL ESTATE chapter, he shows you: ... why using extra money to paying off your house generally puts you in a poorer position than saving it up ... how buying real estate shields from your biggest inflation threat In the INSURANCE chapter, he shows you: ... why all insurance decisions begin with your insurable needs and how to calculate this ... how to know if you need long term care insurance or if you can self-insure In the chapter on LEGAL PLANNING, he shows you: ... whether you should get a trust or a will ... why putting “joint” on accounts and property can be a massive mistake In the chapter on TAXES, he shows you: ... how people can receive Social Security without paying taxes ... how tax deferral does not usually help you Wealth by Virtue looks at your personal finances, financial planning, and retirement planning as a comprehensive structure rather than as unrelated components. Invest in your copy now to get your finances working and maximize your retirement planning today.

388 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Chad Gordon

1 book3 followers
Chad Gordon is the founder and CEO of GreenStar Advisors, a registered investment advisor. He advises individuals, couples, and families toward wealth-optimized decisions using holistic financial planning, disciplined investment strategies, and proactive personal service. He has a passion that clients operate by a long-term conceptual framework that guides them through all financial decisions. Chad and his wife Makendra reside in Colorado along with their children, dog, cats, horse, goats, chickens, fish, and bees.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Rubery Book Award.
209 reviews12 followers
July 27, 2018
Rubery Prize Shortlisted

A wonderfully attractive book with valuable advice about the financial world. It’s divided into easily digestible sections and offers insights into every aspect of money that we’re likely to encounter. There is much practical information here, and just dipping into a few pages at a time will reward the reader with valuable knowledge and insight. For example, are you an Eeyore or a Pollyanna? Apparently the Pollyannas do better in the long run. It’s written in a brisk, easy style. There’s no jargon here, and any essential technical terms are clearly explained. There are plenty of colourful charts and graphs, easily understood. We’d all benefit from reading this book, or simply turning to the pages that are relevant to us. Chad Gordon has achieved something remarkable here. He’s transformed a subject that has the potential to confuse into a source of fascinating information.
2 reviews
November 19, 2020
I read this book from cover to cover when I first received it several years ago. I found it approachable and easy to navigate as well as full of pertinent and applicable information for an array of investors from the novice through fairly seasoned. I personally fall in the category where I am learning but have a pretty good handle on a bit more than the basics. I was in a situation recently where I wanted to clarify the rationale and terminology that my advisors were using to justify an action and I found myself pulling Wealth by Virtue off of the shelf and easily located the section to provide an unbiased explanation that I felt comfortable reconciling and using in conjunction with my professional advisor's input. I appreciate the approachability and ease of finding information in this book- a resource to keep handy on the self for sure!
1,005 reviews1 follower
March 27, 2018
Wealth by Virtue: Rise Above the Maze of Retirement Planning and Personal Finances by Chad Gordon will become your go to resources book for personal finance. Chad Gordon explains finances in language that is easy to understand and covers much more than stocks.. He makes a complex subject easy to follow. Chad Gordon uses humor to help explain financial planning making it interesting. It covers six areas. The six areas covered are banking, investments, real estate, insurance, legal planning, and tax planning. The book itself has illustrations that help with the subject. compare to the many financial books that I have read this is one of the easiest to read .

I received a copy thru a Goodreads Giveaway.
65 reviews
May 26, 2020
I've read hundreds of articles and blog posts, plus about a dozen books in my pursuit of financial competence. This is my favorite. Thorough like a textbook, it's still accessible and surprisingly funny. I still remember busting out laughing when I turned the page and first saw the smirking Ben Franklin.

Imagine a financial advisor truly wants to help his clients, so he makes a book to teach them the fundamentals, not caring about how well the book might sell or cost to print (all those full-page color tables!), but wanting to make a book he's proud of. That's Wealth by Virtue. I plan on re-reading it in the future and have already given it away to others as they start on their careers and financial journeys.
Profile Image for Rachel.
145 reviews
March 26, 2018
As a fellow registered investment advisor, I found this book to be very thorough and well written. It is as hefty as a textbook but is much easier to read. It is laid out in 6 chapters: Banking, Investments, Real Estate, Insurance, Legal Planning and Tax Planning. I wish all of my clients would take the time to read this!
Profile Image for Jenn.
637 reviews
February 1, 2019
I won a copy of this book.

This book is like a textbook; For sure could be used in a classroom setting. Broken down into easy to understand chapters and well-written. Take time with this book, there's a lot of really good information in it.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.