Start by marking “The Craft of Intelligence: America's Legendary Spy Master on the Fundamentals of Intelligence Gathering for a Free World” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  493 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
If the experts could point to any single book as a source for understanding twentieth-century intelligence, that book would be Allen W. Dulles's The Craft of Intelligence. This classic of spycraft is based on Dulles's incomparable experience as a diplomat, international lawyer, and America's premier intelligence officer. Dulles was a high-ranking officer of the CIA's prede ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Lyons Press (first published November 30th 1962)

Jean Poulos
This book was more interesting than I thought it would be. Allen said he grew up discussing foreign affairs at the dinner table thus his life long interest. It is amazing that his family produced three Secretary of State: John W. Foster (1836-1917) who served as Secretary of State to President Benjamin Harrison; Robert Lansing (1864-1928) was from Allen’s mother’s side of the family and served President Woodrow Wilson; and his brother, John Foster Dulles, (1888-1959) served President Dwight D. E ...more
Phil
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone interesting in the history of espionage
Shelves: 2009
Fascinating description of intelligence operations in the Cold War era. It was written in the 1960s and therefore was a little dated. Some of the references to current events were lost on me, because they clearly weren't recent enough for my memory. But it helped me understand the CIA, the purpose of CIA, and the role it has in government. It also helped me understand how the Cold War has affected government intelligence and security operations to this day.

Although there were some really interes
G.T. Almasi
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Yawn-O-Rama. The writing is real-l-l-l-y dull, because spying isn't actually all that exciting, and Allen Dulles is a crashing bore. I made myself read this as pure research, figuring if I'm going to write spy novels I'd better have taken in the real stuff. It's a good look into the short-sighted, self-righteous, asinine mindset of circa-1960s CIA. An influence I took away was that big government agencies make a lot of mistakes, and so having my fictional agencies do some dumb things once in a w ...more
Dan McGrady
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best way to understand a subject is often to read about how it started and this book is about the founding of the CIA in the early 1950s by the original director.

This is probably the best introduction to the intelligence world that I've read so far, beyond maybe John Le Carre's fictional novels. Le Carre provides a better perspective of what it's like being a body on the inside, such as the constant internal and external politics the consume it - that for me at least - had made the successes
Richard
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
A good outline of the basics of intelligence. Written in the mid-sixties, so it is heavy on Cold War stories and examples. While generally straightforward, the author (Allen Dulles) concealed some things in the interest of security, some of which later were made public.
Bob
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
When I began in the intelligence field in 1965, this was our unofficial bible. Although based primarily on Europe during WWII, many of the techniques are being used worldwide. A wonderful read for anyone who wants to understand the craft of intelligence.
Ursin Raffainer
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a rather dry, but nonetheless interesting book.
It mainly covers Russian and American Intelligence Services from the firsth half of the 20th century.
One of the main focuses is the Cold War rivalery of the CIA and Soviet Services and many case studies belong in this context.

The main goal of the book however is to give a good and well informed inside view of how the CIA is organized, what kind of personel it needs and recruits, what some of the jobs are and what kind of impact the work of the
Ridanwise
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This an excellent source to adquiere a western perspective of the Cold War from the viewpoint of intelligence gathering. What this is NOT however, is an updated book about the craft. The book brings with it a lot about espionage that will continue being valid throughout time regardless of technological advances; but if you are looking for something that may open the door to you about the internal functioning of the CIA, this is not it.
I want to also remind the reader that this book was written
Karen Lynn
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book notes, “Intelligence deals with all the things which should be known in advance of initiating a course of action.” This book is interested in decision making - emphasis on the practical use of advance information in its relation to action. Intelligence gathering is a crucial step in the process of security. It is the reason why “the reason the enlightened prince and the wise general conquer the enemy whenever they move.” ~Sun Tzu (5th century BC)

Jeremy
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good writing style, but largely anecdotal. Informative and engaging, but I couldn't find the time to read more than halfway through.
Benjamin Spurlock
Anyone who wants to write anything along the lines of spies or intelligence operators should read this book. Allen Dulles, a director of the CIA and an ardent advocate for the role of intelligence operations in a free society, passionately explains the nature and workings of intelligence, and gives several examples of both successes and failures of the craft.

Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, we can see where some of his assertions were false. He asserts that the CIA has never backed a d
Deane Barker
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was probably great back in 1965 or so when it was written, but it's dated, 50 years later. There are several sections on the actual practice of intelligence, which may or may not less relevant today. Additionally, the communications revolution of the last 25 years has no-doubt changed a lot.

Several sections are interesting --

* A chapter details lots of mistakes that compromised operations, from unexpected construction which covered up a dead drop, to undercover operatives who were hit
Julian Vidal
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
This book taught me that the CIA is one of the youngest, 'picked on' agencies in the modern world, and that we should not fear our 'big brother' for, although he seemingly despises us, is creating situations to better us in the long run. This is the first book I have ever read regarding non-fiction National Security policy, espionage, and inner-workings of a government agency. If you want to know more behind the foundation of today's CIA - read this book.

Allen Dulles makes an effort explaining
Eli Kale
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed and very informative

If you're interested in the world of intelligence-gathering, specifically that of the CIA in its early years, then this makes for a great read.

Dulles includes many anecdotes and firsthand details regarding an array of aspects on the subject of intelligence, which all help to better explain just what defined this organization in its nascent years. The author also touches on foreign intelligence organizations, chiefly those of the Soviet Union, and how they influenced
C.D.
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read. While it's more of a historical reference at this point, for someone completely outside the spy business, this book was very informative. A lot of it reflects the time it was written in, and with hindsight, you can see how laughable it was that the Soviet Union was going to turn all of Asia and Europe communist. The section about how Mossadegh was just a tool of the Soviets was outrageous and enraging.

At turns a justification for the existence of the CIA and a
Anton
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very timely book to read in this era of the "NSA Gate" (the Snowden saga). A lot of the content reads really modern, even though it was written nearly half a century ago. For example, the CIA founder mentions that he won't spy on friendly foreign leaders, except in special circumstances. There are many other insights on the craft of intelligence as well as fun examples from the Cold War era and even the US Civil War days and the dawn of organized intelligence services.

All in all, I rea
Ilya
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cold-war
Opinions of the longest-serving de facto director of the CIA and the villain of the famous Russian conspiracy theory. I was reminded of Noam Chomsky's What Uncle Sam Really Wants, but with the opposite sign; it is equally truthful. A characteristic quote is, "[Communist] stooges took over power in Iran in 1953 and in Guatemala in 1954." Of course, Chomsky is far more popular among educated Americans.
Jwduke
To the novice it may seem strange how concerned the author is with security. War is a continuation of politics through other means, and intelligence is security through other means. That being read, this book was lacking. The HUMINT and CI parts of the book were fantastic; however thats about it. There was very little of anything else, save overhead. Security is mentioned and repeated many times, as is a history of the CIA when it seems apporpriate.
Karen Barna
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book holds interesting insight into the craft of surveillance operations and intelligence gathering. Although it was written few decades ago, it still provides valuable knowledge regarding the gathering of intelligence and how intelligence operations are performed. A great reading tool for anyone wishing to embark on their own amature clandestine intelligence operation.
Ben
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dulles is unquestionably a master on this subject. The book is dense, as each word was carefully chosen by an expert spymaster to produce an exact effect.

The work is now fifty years out of date, and a significant quantity of the book is simply recounting various defections, deceptions, coups and plots which succeeded or failed.
Peter
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Allen Dulles is one of the central figures in the creation of an organized intelligence structure in the United States. This book is largely comprised of his recollections on the work he did over the years he spent as both an agent and as the mastermind behind the creation of the Central Intelligence Agency. It's dated stuff largely, but an interesting read nonetheless.
Donald
Jan 20, 2016 added it
An interesting look at intelligence both historically and as it was practiced by the U.S. in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s by the 4th director of CIA. It begins by describing the Oracle at Delphi as an early incarnation of intelligence and moves on through the Cold War activities of the U.S. and USSR.
Lindsay Smith
I'd read parts of this while researching SKANDAL; gave it a full read-through this week. Dated, of course, but not nearly as much as I'd expected. Some great tidbits of WWII and Cold War spy tales as well as information on tradecraft and the psychology of espionage.
Christopher Tang
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up from the library.
Nomadman
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quite dated but a fascinating look into the world of Cold War era espionage from a legend of the CIA.
Henry
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book.
Courtney
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
An interesting, but ultimately boring, overview of intelligence in general and the cold war period specifically.
Yana Shevkirova
One of my dearest.
George
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: espionage
This was a good read for what it is: a primer written during the Cold War by a prior DCI. So, worth reading, but it won't change your life.
John
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
I learned that the great Alan Dulles, however good he was at being DCI, really wasn't that stellar of a writer. Fascinating subject, almost more so for what's not discussed.
  • A Look Over My Shoulder: A Life in the Central Intelligence Agency
  • Silent Warfare: Understanding the World of Intelligence
  • Man Without A Face: The Autobiography Of Communism's Greatest Spymaster
  • Analyzing Intelligence: Origins, Obstacles, and Innovations
  • Spycraft: The Secret History of the CIA's Spytechs, from Communism to al-Qaeda
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • The Art of Intelligence
  • Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy
  • Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency from the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century
  • The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive & the Secret History of the KGB
  • The Book of Honor: Covert Lives and Classified Deaths at the CIA
  • Thwarting Enemies at Home and Abroad: How to Be a Counterintelligence Officer
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
  • The Official CIA Manual of Trickery and Deception
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • A Secret Life: The Polish Officer, His Covert Mission, And The Price He Paid To Save His Country
  • Fair Play: The Moral Dilemmas of Spying
  • The Human Factor: Inside the CIA's Dysfunctional Intelligence Culture
Allen Welsh Dulles, American Diplomant and lawyer who served as the first civilian director of the Central Intelligence Agency from 1953 to 1961.
More about Allen W. Dulles
“[The Soviet State Security Service] is more than a secret police organization, more than an intelligence and counter-intelligence organization. It is an instrument for subversion, manipulation and violence, for secret intervention in the affairs of other countries.” 0 likes