Start by marking “The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film” as Want to Read:

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  5,627 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
This engaging and beautiful book includes the complete Academy Award-winning script and Thompson's own diaries detailing the production of the film, reviewed by Stanley Kauffmann in The New Republic as "vivid, funny, and gamy"
Published August 31st 2002 by Newmarket Press (first published November 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries

Kirk
This reread....recent event...can't write more.

Lolly's Library
All I can say is, thank god I read this book at home because as I read Thompson's diary I was snorting so hard with laughter I would've seriously disturbed any person around me. Not that I care, but after the first ten or so funny looks, it gets awfully distracting having all those annoyed people around me and makes it hard to keep my attention on what I'm reading.

I adore Emma Thompson. Is there any way I could possibly be her when I grow up?

description
Please?!

Oh, and reading the screenplay section, I was
Elissa
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This just makes me love the movie & the actors (especially Alan Rickman) more.
Megan
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austen lovers
For some strange reason this book has been sitting on my shelf gathering dust for ages. It wasn't until the other day when I was looking for my copy of the film Sense & Sensibility, that I remembered I had this companion book.

I have probably seen the movie well over a dozen times or more, and think it's the best film adaptation of any of Jane Austen's books (yes this even trumps the 6 hour BBC Pride & Prejudice). My bias therefore being known...

I loved every blistering, bodice ripping p
kris
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consisting of the shooting script and Emma Thompson's diaries from shooting, this book does its best to share the sheer talent and skill that led to 1995's Sense and Sensibility. A bit too brief, ultimately, but still rollickingly good fun.

Now, to watch the movie with Thompson's commentary.
Becca
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
~The Foreword:

The foreword of Sense and Sensibility: The Screenplay Diaries was written by Lindsay Doran, the producer of the film in question. And, much to my surprise – I generally don’t enjoy forewords – I very much liked reading what she had to say. It was vastly enjoyable, and hearing how Lindsay first struggled with reading and/or liking Jane Austen’s work made me rather pleased to have introduced myself to Jane Austen with tolerable success at the age of fourteen. Pride and Prejudice wa
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Is there enough money and time allotted for a big opening scene to illustrate Mr. Henry Dashwood receiving a fatal hunting wound? How can Colonel Brandon's character be made more three dimensional and effective when he is “quite shadowy” and “absent for long periods” in the novel? Should Willoughby's anguished confession to Elinor be included, or will it “interfere with Brandon's love story?” How can we achieve the perfect balance romance and satire in this film?

These are just several of the que
Laurel
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nominated for seven Academy Awards®, the 1995 movie Sense and Sensibility remains one of my most cherished interpretations of a Jane Austen novel. Everything about this film project seems to be touched with gold; from the award winning screenplay by actress Emma Thompson; to the incredible depth of British acting talent: Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Gemma Jones, Harriet Walter, Greg Wise, Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson; stunning film locations in Devonshire; and the fine brush-work of the Taiwanese ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austen Fans, Film Afficienadoes
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Kandice's Gift
This is the shooting script by Emma Thompson for the Ang Lee film of Sense and Sensibility as well as her diaries recounting the making of the film. Five stars for "amazing" as Goodreads would have it? For me yes. Of course, it helps if you are 1) A Jane Austen fan check 2) A fan of this film adaptation of her novel. check 3) Interested in the process of writing and film-making. check.

I am decidedly a Jane Austen fan. I don't just own all her novels, some I have in multiple editions. I've read a
Emily
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austen, regency
Emma Thompson has been at the top of my fantasy dinner party list for ages. Reading this was like reading Dorothy L. Sayer's letters (another wonderfully talented snarky writer).

I'm enormously entertained to find out more of the thinking behind the works that I've enjoyed, of course. And of course it serves the basic purpose of making me wanting to go experience their works again directly.

But mostly I get resentful that I can't actually break through the boundaries of time and space and start
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
An excellent read for cinema geeks like me. I admire actors who can work completely out of sequence, and somehow create a coherent character that behaves believably in each scene and make the whole thing mesh together. Reading this book drew me into the creative process, and made me feel as if I were sitting wide-eyed in a corner taking it all in. It felt a bit odd to be drawn back into some of the more sensational events of 1995 (John Major, Liz Hurley/Hugh Grant media storm, etc) while Thompso ...more
Alexandra
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Emma Thompson with all my heart and will go on doing so until the day I die.
Alan
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Taught this with Austen a few times--I think less than half the novel, though well acted and conceived. At least it may be more than the average for Shakepseare films, Branagh's films no less--around 40% or less (MAAN, 37% of Sh's text).
Meredith
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it

Originally posted on The Librarian Next Door:

In the introduction to The Sense & Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries, producer Lindsay Doran writes that it took 15 years just to develop the project (write the script, find a director, etc.) before filming ever started. The insider-y bits of information from Doran and from Emma Thompson’s diaries are wonderful peeks into the heart, passion and love that went into bringing Austen’s classic to the big screen.

The Sense & Sensibility Screenplay
Ellen Rose
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Emma Thompson is one of my favourite ladies. Her 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility is one of my favourite movies. A book by her about that film is now my favourite thing in the world. This was a gorgeous little book which included a full screenplay, unseen photos from behind the scenes on set, headshots and best of all, Emma Thompson’s diary, which she kept during the months of filming.

Firstly, the screenplay. If you’re as big a nerd as me, then reading along with the film is a very enjoyabl
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I enjoyed this a lot. Sense and Sensibility is one of my most favourite movies, the cast was so perfect for it, same as I feel for the 1995 Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. I watch this movie regularly and love it just as much as the first time I saw it.

I'm not going to lie, I was hoping for some gossip on how things happened between Emma Thompson and Greg Wise, Willoughby in the movie, and there was absolutely nothing about it, bummer. Every time I see S&S I snicker and think, oh, but
Sonia
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
So good! The first half is the S&S screenplay, which interestingly, contains a few scenes that did not make it to the final movie. The cut scenes were well cut, I think! The second half of the book is Emma Thompson's diary while shooting the movie. She is ridiculously funny. Prior to reading this diary, I never really considered how punishing and intense it is for actors to shoot movies. Even a period drama/love story like Sense & Sensibility can be physically and emotionally grueling. O ...more
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've said before that I prefer the screenplay over the book (though I still like the book!); so I enjoyed reading this. It was also fun to read Emma's little journal she kept during production. It made me want to be an actress in a movie or two... and/or be a screenwriter. It was nice to see Emma as a "real person," flaws and all. Time to re-watch the movie!
Jessamyn Leigh
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austen fans
The screenplay to one of my favorite movies and diaries by witty and wonderful Emma Thompson, all in one place?! It was really cool to see how a real screenplay works and Emma's behind-the-scenes notes were funny and also helpful and relevant to my life.
Evie
Sep 12, 2011 is currently reading it
MUST READ :D
Joelle Anthony
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this. I read it periodically and then watch the movie because I'm a total geek.
Robin
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thompson is a surprisingly good author - no wonder she won the Oscar that year for Best Adapted Screenplay!
Maj
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utter perfection.

The screenplay...which immediately transported me back to the world of S&S, the gorgeous stills, and the cherry on top - Emma's diary from the production of the film...which immediately transported me back to the mid-90's. Pre-social media, the worst the actors had to deal with back then were the English weather and Rupert Murdoch. (Though poor Kate Winslet didn't exactly have a great luck health-wise!)

"Tide goes in, tide goes out, tide goes in, tide goes out - and still no
Mary
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This little book is stellar. It contains 3 things:

-Emma Thompson's award-winning screenplay adapted from Jane Austen's novel (wonderful)
-Emma Thompson's personal diary she kept daily during the filming of the Sense & Sensibility movie -
(priceless, charming, down-to-earth, hilarious)
-Emma Thompson's Golden Globes acceptance speech written in the style of Jane Austen ( adorable)

I adore Emma Thompson even more than I did before I read this book!
Taylor
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Reading the screenplay was delightful--wonderful for fans of the film, and for anyone interested in adapting novels to the screen.
Emma Thompson's diaries are the real treasure. Witty, honest, self-deprecating, a fascinating insight into the crew, the cast, the film making process.

I read this again and again.
Elizabeth Qualia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wanted this book for the diary portion, learning about the filming of the movie I enjoy. I was surprised at how little the script changed during filming and the many nuances I find now when I view the film. A satisfying companion.
Suzanne Fournier
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious insights to the making of this wonderful film. I was expecting the diaries to be part of or notes along with the screenplay but instead they follow it. Not really an issue but recommend watching the film while reading so you have a sense of what she's talking about when.
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emma Thompson is delightful, but she sure makes working on a movie sound really awful most of the time. I was oddly touched by the random anecdotes about Alan Rickman, like the time he told a cat to "fuck off" or gifted her with an elaborate 18th century pillow.
_kouw
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! the script I'll give another go while watching the film and the diary shows off Emma Thompson's famous wit and gives us a glimpse of what it is actually like to make a movie. Also that actors are humams with bad backs and PMS.
Would recommend!!!
Alicia
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
i watched this movie about four times and reading the script still felt fresh and exciting.
the diaries made me so happy, i can already tell i will reread them once a year.

i just love emma thompson and hope she will adopt me in the near future.
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author
  • The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen
  • Tea with Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • The Friendly Jane Austen: A Well-Mannered Introduction to a Lady of Sense and Sensibility
  • Jane Austen's Letters
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Flirting with Pride and Prejudice: Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit Masterpiece
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)
  • The Jane Austen Handbook: A Sensible Yet Elegant Guide to Her World
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • Jane's Fame: How Jane Austen Conquered the World
  • Jane Austen: A Life
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
Emma Thompson is an Emmy-, BAFTA-, Golden Globe- and two time Academy Award-winning English actress, comedian, and screenwriter. She is also a patron of the Refugee Council.
More about Emma Thompson...

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Songlines
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
“Can he love her? Can the soul really be satisfied with such polite affections? To love is to burn - to be on fire, like Juliet or Guinevere or Eloise...” 229 likes
“Piracy is our only option.” 51 likes