Start by marking “And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)” as Want to Read:
And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)

And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  170 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Jane Austen's classic novel, "Pride and Prejudice," ends with the marriage of the Bennet sisters to their hard-won fiances, but the story of Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy's life together is only beginning. "And This Our Life" is an affectionate and historically accurate sequel that chronicles the lives of the Darcys during their first year of marriage. In addition to lea ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about And This Our Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And This Our Life

Laurel
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A sweet story that will delight most Austen purist

Everyone has their own thoughts on how the happily ever after continued at the conclusion of Pride and Prejudice. As of late, we have seen many creative sequels with Lizzy and Darcy taking another turn about the shrubberies. What they do in those shrubberies can be quite surprising. Rest assured, you will see none of that in And This Our Life, by C. Allyn Pierson.

This sequel takes the straight and narrow path from page one with few detours in Au
Christina
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
And This Our Life is a wonderful sequel to Pride and Prejudice, especially for readers who don’t enjoy all of the bodice-ripping that has plagued other sequels. The story immediately picks up where Pride and Prejudice ends with the Bingleys and the Darcys settling into married life. Society is both curious and distrusting of Mr. Darcy’s new bride, a plot line I think would have been more accurate than other sequels where everyone falls under Elizabeth’s charm. Georgiana matures in a believable f ...more
Katherine
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Exact same story as C. Allyn Pierson's other novel - Mr. Darcy's Little Sister so if you're read one you know the story of the other. 2 slight differences - no kidnapping in this book and less letters quoted.
This novel is a great continuation of Pride & Prejudice and Austen would be proud. All the "private" moments of a married couple as in love as Darcy and Elizabeth are kept private so the novel is very proper and fits the time period of writing. Elizabeth isn't accepted and liked by ever
Jennifer Gentry
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I really, really, really liked this book! I loved reading about what happened after the "happily ever after" in a way that left some things to the imagination, like the sex life between Darcy and Elizabeth. Too many of the continuations I've seen are little more than bodice rippers in disguise. This book is NOT that way!

It gives us details on the first year of the Darcys' marriage, Miss Darcy's debut and first season, and fills in the details of some of the other characters.

I sincerely hope Ms.
Alexa
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I generally really only go for the romance based (read: bodice rippers) JAFF, with the other exception being the Carrie Bebris mysteries. This is the first G rated P&P sequel I've really been able to get into. I don't know if I can really explain what makes it different, but I found the plot absorbing enough to make me feel like I could read about the rest of the character's lives. Fortunately Pierson is working on book 2!

Highly recommended to all JA fans.
Julie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: austenland
I've read a lot of Pride and Prejudice adaptations and I have to say this was one of the more boring books. It was so slow going and took me forever to finish. I didn't like how there was no romance. I don't need bodice ripping or explicit scenes, however, it was lacking in the mutual love that Darcy and Elizabeth have for each other that I have read by other authors. And the ending ugh, come on, at least finish it.
Jeanah
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pride-prejudice
This is the best sequel of Pride and Prejudice that I have read so far. I am very impressed with its historical connections and storyline. The romance was touched upon in a Jane Austen flare with interesting surprises and witty moments. I could not put it down. This is apparently "Book 1" so.... I cannot wait until book 2 is finished. Definitely a wonderful read for any lovers of Elizabeth and Darcy.
Stephanie
Of the Pride and Prejudice sequels that I've read, this is probably the best. It lacks some of the wit of Jane Austen, was a little predictable, and was a little dry at times; but by the end I was engrossed and enjoying spending time with some of my favorite literary characters again. I will be giving the next book in the series a chance.
Andrea
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the most readable of the current Austen sequels. Unlike many, this continuation doesn't go overboard on adventure or rush through its plotted incidents. Although the amount of detail concerning dress could get old, the book is generally well researched and entertaining.
Babs
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Jane Austen's characters
I wasn't sure how this book would be, but gave it a try and I am happy I did. This is a wonderful book. It takes up after Darcy & Elizabeth are married. It goes more into detail about society and Georgiana. I did not want to put the book down.
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it
What can I say? Reading Pride & Prejudice sequels is a guilty pleasure. I would give this one a B. The plot was pretty predictable (why does almost everyone pick the same gentleman for Georgiana to marry), but I enjoyed it. My favorite P&P sequels are by Elizabeth Aston.
Alexa Adams
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austen Fans
A fabulous sequel. Ms. Pierson strays well beyond the bounds of Austen's two inches of ivory but it works.
Christine
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, own-it
Okay, I didn't finish it. But it was BORRRRRING. Too much talking and not enough action. I've read much better continuations of P&P. Sorry, it was not my cup of tea.
Sabrina
Jan 17, 2011 marked it as not-finished
I cannot finish this book . . . . I've tried on several different occasions. It's just so boring. Because I have so many other exciting books to read, I'm throwing this one on the back-burner.
Harman
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Darcy and Anne
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Assumed Obligation
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Pemberley Manor
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Intimations of Austen
  • A Pemberley Medley
C. Allyn Pierson is a pseudonym of Carey A. Bligard. Aside from being an author Mrs. Pierson is a physician practicing in Iowa. There she resides with her husband and two dogs.
More about C. Allyn Pierson...