Start by marking “Kin (Helga Finnsdottir #1)” as Want to Read:
Kin (Helga Finnsdottir #1)

Kin

(Helga Finnsdottir #1)

He can deny it all he likes, but everyone knows Viking warlord Unnthor Reginsson brought home a great chest of gold when he retired from the longboats and settled down with Hildigunnur in a remote valley. Now, in the summer of 970, adopted daughter Helga is awaiting the arrival of her unknown siblings: dark, dangerous Karl, lithe, clever Jorunn, gentle Aslak, henpecked by ...more
Published March 8th 2018 by Jo Fletcher

To ask other readers questions about Kin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kin

Susan
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: vine
Unnthor Reginsson is now sixty two and lives in the valley, where he farms, with his wife, Hildigunnur. He is rumoured to have a treasure chest buried somewhere on his land, but denies having any such wealth. On the farm, he is helped by Einar Jakason, and his father, as well as Helga Finnsdottir, who is the adopted daughter of Unnthor and Hildigunnur. Life in the valley goes on much as usual, tied to the seasons, with little news of the outside world. However, now there is to be a family reunio ...more
Kirsty ❤️
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another day another book read in less than 24 hours. This is a really fast paced Viking murder mystery that kept me turning the pages right to the very end.

There are a lot of characters in the story and to start with I did have to keep going back and checking who was married to who but that seemed to settle down once the first murder kicked in. Having said that the author did manage to give each one their own personality certainly with the brothers and sisters in Unnthor's brood. I hope the fol
Kaitlin
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
* I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *

This book is quite a small book for a fantasy story, and it's also one focused on Vikings which is a little different from most of the works I have previously tried. I was, therefore, eager to see if this one could live up to the stunning cover art and deliver a thrilling, bloody tale I would enjoy.

Unfortunately, I didn't love this one as much as I hoped to. It's actually a lot more of a murder mystery than it is a f
Lucy Banks
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Agatha Christie meets the Vikings, with some anachronisms along the way.

I really liked the premise of this book. There's something rather irresistible about the Vikings, so a murder-mystery set in this time period sounded like a real winner. However, I struggled to connect with it, and I'm wondering if the anachronistic language, not to mention the lack of exciting 'Vikingness', killed it for me.

Helga is the adopted daughter of Hil
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher through bookbridgr in exchange for an honest review.

Kin is a vime (Viking crime, not sure it’ll catch on but that’s what I’m going with) book set within the confines of Riverside and is a very self-contained story focusing on Unnthor Reginsson and his rather dysfunctional family.

Taking place in Norway, in the year, 970. U
Liz Barnsley
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent murder mystery with Vikings! What's not to love? Full review to follow.
Vippi
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
~ARC Kindly provided by Netgalley & the Publisher in exchange for my honest review~
Helga is the adopted daughter of the old war-lord Unnthor Reginsson and his wife. They decide to have a family get-together, inviting their three sons and their daughter along with their families. All the siblings have very strong, albeit different, personalities: Karl is uber-belligerent, Aslak is gentle and remissive, Bjorn is loud and prone to puns, Jorunn is clever and ambitious. One thing they have in com
Roman Clodia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm bemused at the blurb quotations claiming historical verisimilitude and Viking values: on the contrary, I found this to be a standard murder mystery with Viking names but a historical attitude of 'they're just like us...but in fancy dress'. Using the Golden Age trope of a dysfunctional family gathering in a patriarch's home, we have family rivalry, factions, greed - and murder.

What made me laugh are the silly moments which reveal no historical sense whatsoever: for example, Vikings saying thi
Roy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting take on a murder mystery ala Agatha Christie but set amongst a viking background. A family reunion at the matriarchs family home (father/mothers) who has supposedly hidden his treasure from his raiding days has the children arrive, and they all have big personalities. Some are brash and arrogant, some are conniving and quiet, and its this that builds the suspense. I felt like the story didnt require a viking setting, it was more a family murder mystery whodunnit set amongst a Viking ...more
Zuky the BookBum
DNF @ page 116

I read this novel as my BookBum Club book for May! Check out this page to find out more about my very own Book Club!

Ugh, this book was a disaster for me! I was really hoping to love it as a moody Viking murder mystery sounded really unique. Unfortunately, there was just too much wrong with this book for me to continue with it. Let me explain why…

First thing I didn’t like about this novel was the historical accuracy or the lack thereof it, should I say. Considering this was about Vi
Mieneke
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, crime
Kin is the latest book by the wonderful Snorri Kristjansson. I adored his first two novels, Swords of Good Men and Blood Will Follow. So much so, that I haven’t finished the first series yet, since I don’t want to say goodbye to Ulfar and Audun, the protagonists of the Valhalla trilogy. I really do love Snorri and his writing though, so when Kin arrived I squealed. Because Viking crime? I became the embodiment of this gif:

My favourite thing about Kin — beyond the fact of Vikings —is how the s
Keith Currie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Saggy family

So, Viking Noir, we are to believe. These Vikings talk as though they have been trained in American sitcom repartee. ‘As if!’ I can get past that. But on page 20 Helga is peeling potatoes. Now for much of the rest of the novel she peels root vegetables, so the potatoes on page 20 are probably just a slip up. So I can get past that too. But then Odin makes a few guest appearances. I am not sure why and I don’t suppose every reader will notice or care, but it did distract me. As for Un
Lou
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always up for a new twist on the crime genre, and here it is! A novel that is, at its heart, a thriller but with Vikings. Kristjansson's stories have such originality, originality that is sorely lacking in crime titles these days. There is all the usual lies, manipulation, and murder just with elements of Viking history added in there for a very different setting to my usual reads. It is beautifully atmospheric and I loved the family dynamics, very dysfunctional. I did struggle a little at ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
It has been a very long time since I finished a book in a day. Not that I have not wanted to. But a baby makes it harder. But today everything came together, and it also helped that I could not put the book down and that it was so light and it flowed so well. Suddenly I was on page 150 and it felt like a blink of an eye. Who knew Viking crime drama could feel so light! In writing that it. In tone, eh, not so much. There will be blood as kin slay kin.

Helga is our heroine and she was awesome. She
Kelly
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in 970 Kin by Snorri Kristjansson is a crime novel featuring vikings, dysfunctional families and murders. The main character, Helga, is the adopted daughter of the family and her first encounter of her unknown siblings is not going to be pretty. When someone is brutally murdered she sets about trying to discover the culprit before anyone else in her family is threatened.

Viking Crime could very well be my new favourite crime!! I really enjoyed this book and found the writing to be such that a
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love a good mystery. I also love all things Viking. So I was excited to read the synopsis of this book which combined the two.

I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Snorri does a really good job at transporting you in to the world of this Viking family. It was good to have a tale about these people that detailed their daily life, their family dynamics, their place in their little bit of the world as well as their gods. There were no Viking battles which is qui
Paul
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Historical crime is one of my favourite sub-genres. Over the last few years I’ve read a fair number of books that have fallen into this category and without exception they have been great. The latest title to add to this ever-growing list is KIN by Snorri Kristjansson. The premise is devilishly simple, a murder-mystery set in a remote Viking homestead.

Unnthor Reginsson’s brood are a suitably shifty bunch. He has four children, three sons and a daughter. It’s made pretty clear that each one of th
Lynn Williams
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vikings and murder mystery. I really enjoyed this. rtf
I thoroughly enjoyed Kin and thought it made a great start to what I’m presuming will become a murder mystery series featuring Helga Finnsdottir. This is a murder mystery with a difference. Set in Norway during the summertime of 970 this is a book with vikings. But, calm your passions, the murders committed on the page don’t occur whilst plundering villages or out on the open seas. Far from it. The murd
Chris
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Kin, from Snorri Kristjansson is a story of family, and what ties them together. Old grudges and old wounds, for certain, and if they’re bound by blood, that blood can also be spilled. It’s a detective story set in the era of Viking raiders, one where a glowering sky enfolds a group as much in bloody thrall to their pasts as enraptured by family affection. If the combination of Vikings, mystery and murder sound good, then this is the book for you.

Thi
Josie Jaffrey
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has such an engaging premise: a Viking murder mystery. I've not read any fiction set among Vikings before, and I love a good murder mystery, so I thought I'd give it a go.

All in all, the story was engaging. I found it compelling reading. The writing and characterisation were very good (although sometimes I found the characterisation a little subtle) and I really enjoyed Helga as the main character. However, there were a few aspects of the story that I just didn't get.

I didn't understan
Raven
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I will tarry a wee bit longer in Iceland with Kin by Snorri Kristjansson, the first of the Helga Finnsdottir mystery series, and what holds the unique position of being the first Viking murder mystery, apart from the great sagas themselves, that I have read. I thoroughly enjoy Kristjansson’s normal historical fare having read all three of his Valhalla series, but I had a curious reading experience with this one. At first, I didn’t feel that the opening of the book really reflected the time perio ...more
Vera
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
*** ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ***

5 stars

A book is either meant for you or not. After diving into Snorri Kristjansson’s Kin, it became apparent that Kristjansson’s must have written Kin for me ... obviously! 😊

It had everything I look for in a book. Flawed characters, dysfunctional family dynamics, a delightful mysterious story, a few twists and it was narrated in a language that resonated with me. I normally binge on books, but I slowed this one down as I did no
Philippa Mary
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
*I received a digital copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
3.5 This is a mystery/ crime story featuring Vikings and a dysfunctional family. I thought the author did a great job at creating a rather sinister atmosphere and the pacing was well done. The plot was compelling, the writing is good and the characters are well written. If you enjoy a good crime story and/or Vikings then I would recommend checking this out.
Vikki Patis
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a strange one, a murder mystery set in the time of Vikings. It took me a while to get into, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Helga, her lessons through her mother, and the strength of women in a male dominated world. A great read.
Jo
Helga was adopted by an older couple and now their grown-up children have returned for a family reunion. Then one of the sons is found dead, obviously murdered, and Helga starts to investigate. When I heard about this Viking crime story from Kristjansson, I thought it was going to be a gruesome and bloodthirsty killer novel. Instead, it's more of a locked room mystery in the vein of the Golden Age crime novels like Christie and Sayers. I liked this but didn't love it.
Jeanette Greaves
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read 'Kin', I kept thinking of friends and family who I wanted to share it with, fans of murder mysteries, fans of character driven stories, fans of historical fiction. This book would appeal to all of them.

The title gives away the name of the one person in the large cast who isn't likely to be murdered or to be the killer. Helga Finnsdaughter is the adopted daughter of Unnthor and Hildigunnur, a happily married couple who have already raised a family of four and are enjoying life as well r
Micha Sevier
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kin centres on a Viking family gathering where things turn sour, and more than the usual fist fight. A family member is murdered and there is no obvious culprit; each family member has their own reasons for hating the victim.

The story is told from the point of view of teenage foster daughter Helga. An outsider compared to her foster siblings, watchful Helga is in a unique position to observe clues that result in the discovery of the murderer. I admired Helga’s intelligence but found that I didn’
Melisende d'Outremer
Historical crime / mystery set in 10th century Iceland.

The family of Unnthorn Reginsson have gathered at the family homestead - there are all the usual family rivalries and petty jealousies that could easily be found in a more modern setting, say in Midsomer or St Mary Mead. But positing this in remote and wild Iceland makes for an interesting read.

At the heart of the story is promise of long hidden buried treasure, and as the clan gather, the posturing begins and the tension slowly builds - som
Maria
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For people who enjoy Scandanavian crime fiction, this book is a little bit different. It is set in 970 AD on the property of a Viking Warlord. That of course is what attracted me to it.

The book centres around Helga, an adopted daughter of the family who has never met her other siblings until one day they all decide to visit and bring their families. You would think that would be a happy time, but it's not. The siblings do not get along, their wives don't get along, the married couple don't get
Rebecca
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely well written murder mystery with echoes to Poirot and Sherlock but set within the Viking era.
For one who is not usually patient enough for crime mysteries I was instantly gripped.
The dynamic and variety of characters that make up this extended family reunion, both men, women and children, are so 3D, realistic and exhibit personalities that we may all recognise in ourselves and our own families.
Yet the tensions and drama are wrapped around a mystery not just who will be murd
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Helga Finnsdottir (2 books)
  • Council (Helga Finnsdottir #2)