Start by marking “Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs” as Want to Read:
Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs

Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs

Twelve Dark Tales From The Mind Of Israel Finn:

-A man who is faced with the prospect of losing the most important thing in his life—his son—but instead loses his mind. And then finds himself trapped in a waking nightmare with no way out.

-A frustrated man who curses life for having the audacity to pass him by, but discovers how it feels to be truly forsaken when the

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs

Start your review of Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my 11th book so far in 2019 and my 7th review giving a 5 star rating! I feel incredibly lucky to have read so many amazing books already!
If you follow my reviews or my social media accounts, it's abundantly clear I have a soft spot for short story collections; specifically "horror" in flavor.
Considering there are over 30 sub-genres of horror, DREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS covers a lot of ground over the whole spectrum. Each story is wildly different than the next and that's why it's my
Evans Light
This book entirely lived up to the hopes I had for it going in and then some.
Wonderfully written, beautifully edited, each and every story presented here is a polished gem of weird and dark fiction.
The stories are of a fairly short length for the most part, but not flash fiction by any means. Most clock in somewhere around 10 pages, I'd say, but they are tightly coiled tales with stunningly satisfying conclusions.
Fans of Ray Bradbury and Richard Matheson short stories should find much to enjoy
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | Empathy Shouldn't Be That Hard To Understand, People.
Dreaming at the Top of My Lungs is the first work I’ve read from Israel Finn. I had no clue what to expect going in. What I found was that he has an easy-going style of writing that works well with the characters he writes about. This is not a collection filled with tense happenings that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Instead the stories are mostly bite-sized pieces of weird fiction with a horror edge to them. Some moreso than others.

Sometimes the horror is supernatural, sometimes it’s
Kelly
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Wonderful collection of weird, creepy and thought provoking stories. My favorite was Deadfall Lane but I really enjoyed them all. Looking forward to reading more of Israel Finn's work.
Jason Parent
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong collection, with 5-star stories in Stranded, Water and War, and Deathbed, all powerful, sometimes satirical, and not altogether horror.
Adam Light
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb collection of original, compact, fully-realized weird tales. Not a dud in the book, I burned through this with mounting joy as every story satisfied as much, if not more, as the one before it.
Tracy Robinson
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“It’s always the dead of February. The tarnished sun sits frozen just above the rooftops in a low monochrome sky.”

This was my first experience reading anything by Israel Finn and I enjoyed this collection. Quiet horror with touches of cosmic happenings and a Twilight Zone feel here and there; there are several stories that really stood out for me.

Some favorites are: Stranded, No Such Thing as Monsters, Over My Dead Body, The Messenger, and To Catch a Fly

I admit that the first few stories really
Eddie Generous
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreaming at the Top of My Lungs is a collection of stories built on normal, relatable, realistic, blue collar characters in difficult situations, first and foremost. Doing this allows the reader be there and assume a role in the cast as the Twilight Zone-like stories unravel lives and lead to conclusions of this world or others (oh yes, these stories start with the beginning and end with the end and in between things happen).
Structurally, the pacing is great, the dialogue is human, and variety
Lisa
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'll admit that I was taken with all the favorable reviews that I found on Amazon and Goodreads. While these short stories were by no means bad, they just weren't that great. For me anyways. In fact, except for the first story, which I liked a lot, the rest of these tales were very average. They were well written, and I found no fault with spelling and such, but there were no wow or holy crap moments. This is one that I wouldn't recommend.
Morgan K Tanner
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a superb collection of stories this turned out to be. I jumped into this book not really knowing what to expect. I love my horror, and usually when looking at a short story collection I’m inclined to lean towards dark tales where bad shit happens to good people. Death, torture, and suffering are also high on the wish-list.

Now other reviewers have noted how these stories aren’t exactly horror, but are still extremely dark. And yeah, they’re pretty bang on with that assessment. OK, there’s a
F.D. Gross
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt compelled to start writing my review for Dreaming at the Top of My Lungs, by Israel Finn, well before having finished reading it. Reading the story “To Catch a Fly” really helped me put things into perspective. Needless to say, after reading this 150 plus page anthology collection of shorts, I realized I would be a fan of his work, moving forward. All of the stories in this book are crafted very well and selected for a certain purpose. Really, in a nut shell, Finn gives you a glimpse of ...more
N.B. Williams
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Israel Finn has compiled a set of tales that have a little something for everyone. Sometimes cerebral, sometimes gritty, these stories are written with a richly detailed vocabulary that can't help but yank you into the scene and put you nose-to-nose with the characters. Highly recommend!
David
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5 stars (4 for goodreads) Stranded was an awesome story. I wish every story in the book had been that great.
Tone
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finn has a way with short fiction.

Each jem of a story conveys a single disturbing emotion. They all held my focus, even while riding the bus.
David Benefry
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs” by Israel Finn – Brief Pictures of Horror

Israel Finn's Cacophony of Terror

I want to spoil as little as possible about the twelve stories in this homely little collection, but just to give you an idea of what you'll find, there's one about a woman on trial in a world where telling the truth is a crime, another about an outcast choosing between vengeance and forgiveness, and the tale of a man caught in a nightmare after losing his son. They are the types of short
Kester Finley
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs: A Horror Collection by Israel Finn takes readers on a wild ride through a collection of short stories that leave you wanting more in a way that will entice many a reader. Finn’s ability to create a collection of horror snippets that whet the appetite is nothing short of masterful as his detail to characters and the horror-filled world they find themselves in gives you just enough information to pull you in before he leaves you there alone and afraid.

In this
S.J. Budd
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection. Israel Finn has a really cool sort of laid back writing style that has an informal feel to it like he's right beside you talking to you reeling you in unawares. Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs covers a great range of subject matter and themes and no two stories are the same.

I'm not quite sure what genre this falls into, its not horror but definitely dark and has some elements of science fiction, weird and speculative fiction. Which is cool as I like stories that don't
Joanie Chevalier
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Scary, scary! Every story has a theme of scary but each has its own kind of horror, terror, and fascination. And what I love about Author Finn the most is that he is a great storyteller. He weaves each tale effortlessly and I didn't realize I was putting out any effort to read; it felt like I was sitting on a porch listening to a toothless stubble-chinned old man tell ghost stories as he smoked his pipe and spit into a tin coffee cup. Author Finn doesn't shy away from taboo subjects-parents with ...more
Lydian Faust
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As sick as I thought the cover was and as eager as I was to read it, I wouldn't have guessed that DREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS would be such a cerebral experience. It's easily my favorite collection released in the past decade. I love horror. I live, breathe, immerse myself in horror on a daily basis - this is beyond horror. Finn's collection manages to harness the absolute best of dark, speculative, dystopian, and science-fiction and mashes it up in a gruesome glop of social-justice HELL. ...more
Christopher Henderson
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some cracking stories in here! Some will appeal to individual tastes more than others, naturally – that’s the way it is in collections like this - but all are highly enjoyable. (I scored each as I read it and took an average at the end: that came to just over 4.5 so in Goodreads terms this collection is a 5.) The horror is of the weirder variety, which I love, tending towards the uncanny and eerie rather than the explicit and visceral. Every reader will undoubtedly find their own ...more
Patrick Loveland
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd started this a while back and really enjoyed the first few stories I'd read. I've been trying to get back to reading more again and remembered I had unfinished business with this collection. Really glad I picked it back up. Very well written, with great concepts.

My favorites were "Stranded", "Over My Dead Body", "Deadfall Lane", "The Present", and "Ugly". But all of them were well-written. From skimming some of the other reviews, it looks like a couple of those weren't originally in the
Pamela Morris
There's always a touch of envy in me for people who can pull off a successful short story. In a mere 112 pages, Israel Finn managed to keep me engaged and amused for the past couple weeks. As with any collection or anthology by even the most famous of writers, there are some stories that are better than others. There were a few in here that I didn't quite get or felt that were lacking, but the vast majority I thoroughly enjoyed and enough so that I'd easily consider picking up more work from ...more
Steve Stred
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**Edited to add review**

Dreaming at the Top of My Lungs is the first collection of short stories by Israel Finn, and I suspect by the quality of stories included in this anthology, it won’t be his last.

I started this collection and was startled by how easy I found the stories to read. It was as though Israel and I were sitting in a bar chatting leisurely about messed up life experiences. Before I realized it, I was done.

To pick out one single stand out story is impossible and frankly there isn’t
Chuck Knight
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This treasury of short stories is a great fun read. Filled with stories that would fit right in on any episode of The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Amazing Stories...well, you get the idea. Here you will find amongst many others, a man who is trapped in a time loop, a man who opens his home to an alien, and lots of other incredible things. These are well written, fast paced and will leave you wanting more. Buy it, read it and then share it with your friends!
Liz
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the small town feel of these stories - couldn't put it down once I started. Deadfall Lane was my favourite, well crafted and nicely paced. This collection is well worth the read.
John Leonard
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really enjoyable collection of stories. If you dark and twisty tales, you ought to give it go.
Iain MacCallum
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cracking collection

This is a cracking collection of dark short stories. I had never heard of this author before but will definitely be watching out for him in future.
Valerie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow!
thebonebreaker
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the greatest collection of short horror stories that I have yet read!

Here is a brief breakdown of each of the ten stories:

Story #1 - 'Stranded' - a story about a man caught in a bizarre time-loop, with a terrific climax! 5 Skulls

Story #2 - 'No Such Things As Monsters' - this is my second favorite story in this collection. Truly horrifying! 5 Skulls

Story #3 - 'Sick Day' - this one ended too soon! (warning: this one will make you gag!) 5 Skulls

Story #4 - 'The Messenger' - my least
The Grim Reader
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took a bit of a punt on this collection of short stories from Israel Finn. I liked the title and had heard a couple of people say some nice things about it via Goodreads. Collections are one of my favourite things to read, in fact, I prefer a good collection of stories over a novel, but that’s just me.

I am pretty sure that this is Finn’s first published collection, and if so, it is impressive to say the least, not just the stories themselves but impeccably edited also. I have heard someone

• The Resurrectionists (Salem Hawley, #1)
  • Siphon
  • Ritual
  • Limbs: A Love Story
  • Remains
  • Broken Shells
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • The Sea Was a Fair Master
  • The Same Deep Water as You
  • The Auld Mither
  • Sefira and Other Betrayals
  • Cruel Works of Nature: 11 Illustrated Horror Novellas
  • Violet
Israel Finn is the author of Dreaming At the Top of My Lungs, and a winner of the 80th Annual Writer’s Digest Short Story Competition.

He is a horror, suspense, and speculative fiction writer who's had a life-long love affair with books, weaned on the likes of Kurt Vonnegut, Ray Bradbury, and Richard Matheson, and later discovering Robert McCammon, Dean Koontz, F. Paul Wilson, Dan Simmons, Ramsey