Start by marking “King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)

King of Fools

(The Shadow Game #2)

Indulge your vices in the City of Sin, where a sinister street war is brewing and fame is the deadliest killer of them all...

On the quest to find her missing mother, prim and proper Enne Salta became reluctant allies with Levi Glaisyer, the city’s most famous con man. Saving his life in the Shadow Game forced Enne to assume the identity of Seance, a mysterious underworld f
Published April 30th 2019 by Inkyard Press

Start your review of King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
megs_bookrack

Amanda FOODY!!!

((hand clap))

AMANDA FOOOOOOO-DYYYY!!!!

((tears))

I will never be the same again.

RESPECT.

Picking up directly after the events of Ace of Shades, King of Fools, the second installment of The Shadow Game trilogy, is packed full of action and political intrigue that left my head spinning!

We see the return of our favorite characters, Enne, Levi, Lola and Jac, and meet great new characters as well. Most notably for me, a girl with a penchant for blowing thi
High Lady of The Night Court
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
“Because the hero of one story is the villain of someone else’s. It’s all just a matter of who wins.”

King of Fools was so much more than I more was expecting from this world. It was so much more complicated and the sheer amount of things that happened in this book is unbelievable. There was not a single moment that wasn't packed with plot and not a single moment which was slow.

The relationship between all the characters evolves so much and just as new relations and made old ones can be brok
chai ♡

/ └-(____/
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
Helena of Eretz ✰
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

Everything that could’ve gone wrong DID. All of my babies are suffering and I’m so, so sad. Can I just treat this book as a hoax? This can’t possibly be how everything went down.

I need the finale NOW!
Emma Giordano
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

I received a copy of this book from Inkyard Press. I had no obligation to read or review this book and all opinions are my own.
sarah xoxo
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
#1.) Ace of Shades ★★★★.5
#2.) King of Fools ★★★★

Amanda Foody is quickly becoming one of my favourite YA fantasy authors and I am so happy about it! While not quite as fast paced and fun as its predecessor, King of Fools is a solid sequel and I can't wait for the third book.

Second book syndrome is real but for the most part, I think this book didn't fall prey to the unfortunate trend. It was long, and did drag at times but overall this book did an incredible job of taking the characters, world a
Beth
Apr 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-to-read
27.04.18

I just finished Ace of Shades;

1. You can't end there like that.
2. Please see above.
3. I need more.
4. 2019?!
5. Amanda Foody, if you want to give me a copy ASAP, thankssss xoxoxoxxo

I CAN'T WAIT
-----------
14.07.18
We have a cover and it’s blue and I looooooove it
————-
julianna ➹
1. Ace of Shades ★★★★★
2. King of Fools ★★★★★
3. Untitled

This was so much cleverness and un-subtle feminism— and I love it so much. Amanda said that this was her girl gang book and she is not wrong, at all. Why is this called King of Fools when it should be called Badassery.jpg?

you: Second Book Syndrome

misogynists: h-
kicking in the door

people who hate on strong girl characters:
kicking in the door

If someone wanted to call her naive, then they would. If someone wanted to call her heartless, then
Silvia
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, sent-for-review
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

King of Fools was one of my most anticipated sequels this year and I was not disappointed. Am I mad a this book and at Amanda Foody? Oh, hell yes. But I loved every second of it.

I believe that, in trilogies, second books should feel completely different from book one, and then book three should be an expansion of book two. We'll see what book three has in store for us,
booksnpenguins
I need to reread Ace of Shades asap so I can start this one!
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I liked this sequel. Unfortunately there was just a lot of romance coupling, angst and not a whole lot of magic. I’m curious how the third book will wrap up the story!
Lauren Lanz
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for how violated King of Fools left me feeling. Amanda Foody, you sly fox, how dare you do this to us?

“Don’t let your fallen heroes stop you from wanting to become one.”

After the events of Ace of Shades, Levi and Enne have got large bounties on their heads. The faces of the Irons, Doves and Scarhands are in the papers for everyone to see, except Enne’s identity remains unknown, leaving only her assumed role ‘Seance’ for the public to ponder over. In hope of regaining their freedom,
Drewthereader20
This sequel was so good and it took me forever to read it!!! The second and final book I’ve read for #tometopplereadathon this round.. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Cindy ✩☽♔
Me the first 30-40% of the book:
giphyc295831fe54b8c3c.gif

Me the remainder of the book:
tenor6641d5208deab763.gif

I think it's about time I realized this series just might not be for me. Because when I think dark, when I think gangsters, I do not think this book AT ALL. It's like my main issue with the first book became even more apparent to me here. That these aren't gangsters. These are kids in way over their head.

The writing itself is not bad, but I just could not bring myself to care much about anything that was happening.

The only t
sam
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy-read
blood, scheming, betrayal, plot twists oh my. This book really went all out. The reason i’m only giving this a 4.5 ⭐️ is because i kept getting confused in between and it could’ve been my fault or the writing i’m really not sure but other than that this book delivered and reached my expectations. The character growth for Erienne was tremendous and honestly if you compare her character in the first book to this one you’ll find few similarities. I love the representation and i found it quite uniqu ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
While this review is spoiler-free, if you haven't read Ace of Shades yet, I'd recommend not reading this review or book synopsis as both have spoilers for book 1.
"Oaths, omertas, Chainers - there's a reason so many in the North Side favor such weapons. New Reynes killed the queen the very day she hoped to negotiate peace. The City of Sin was built on duplicity."
Friends, this was one of my most highly anticipated sequels of 2019 and Foody did not disappoint! There is a lot going on in
Darinda
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, ya-fantasy
The second book in The Shadow Game series by Amanda Foody. This book picks up where the first book, Ace of Shadows, ended.

Favorite characters are back (Enne, Levi, Jac) and new characters are introduced. The characters in this series are so intriguing. This novel is told using multiple points of view, which gives insight into several characters. I especially love the strong female characters.

The fun thing about this series is the politics in New Reynes. With so many people trying to be in power,
Alice
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
The Nerd Daily
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Portia Brown

King of Fools by Amanda Foody is the second book in her The Shadow Game trilogy. A sequel often tends to suffer from second-book-syndrome, but this one felt like a totally different book in comparison to the first book, Ace of Shades. The first book felt more like its own original story while the second successfully expands on the sto
Roobie
⭐️4 stars⭐️

If someone wanted to call her naive, then they would.
If someone wanted to call her heartless, then they would.
prag ♻
• the wildest part of this reading experience was Ju accidentally guessing the ending in the first chapter
• SAPPHIC LOLA SANGUICK!! (i called it)
• #girlgangbook lives UP

THAT ENDING WAS NOT COOL

I AM IN PAIN. A LOT OF PAIN
solanne
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
wow, Amanda Foody must be pretty strong from carrying the weight of all the hearts she’s broken

rtc
Esmée van der Weide
''I think it takes more strength to be vulnerable than it does to appear invincible.''

Amanda Foody wrote another breathtaking book that just tore my heart out. It was beautiful, painful, emotional, entertaining and so much more. I very much enjoyed this book and it was in several ways better than book one. The ending was even more exciting than the one of Ace of Shades and it seems really promising for the finale.

The plot was tailored perfectly. The story picked up right after the ending of boo
booksneedcaffeinetoo
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT IS RELEASE DAY.
YOU ALL GET TO READ ABOUT THE GIRL GANG
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 13, 2019
Wow. Somehow I got approved for the eARC. I guess this is where I add that disclaimer?
Thank you Netgalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Did I do that right?

"The hero of one story is the villain of someone else's. It's all just a matter of who wins."

This book picks up right where Ace of Shades left off. And right from the get go things are int
Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!! And you can check out my full review here

“The city felt like the hush before a stage curtain lifted, but what the city waited for was war.”

The previous novel in this series, Ace of Shades, is one of my all time favorites and I’ve read it a couple of times. This was everything I could have hoped for in a sequel, and more, but I didn’t enjoy it quite as much because it was a bit slower paced. It was still a fantastic read, albeit a long one, so I ended up giving it 4.5 stars.

First and
Alaina
Wow, it has been a while since I've read the first book of this little series. Yet, I still didn't reread that book and just dove into this one.

King of Fools was a good book. I loved the audio but I have no idea how I would feel if I actually read the ebook or physical at this point. Mostly because I'm at work, super busy (there's absolutely nothing for me to do) and yet.. I'm constantly getting distracted. Super happy I didn't have a buddy for this because I would be making up comments left an
✨
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
4 STARS

King of Fools is the second book in the trilogy, The Shadow Games.

After Levi and Enne escape the House of Shadows and kill the Chancellor and Sedric Torren, they have bounties on their heads.

When Viana Augustine’s son, Harrison, comes back to New Reynes - he makes a deal with Levi. If Levi helps Harrison win the position as senator in the next election, he will kill Vianca. Because of the omertà on both Levi and Enne, this is an offer that he can’t pass up.

While living in disguise, E
Scrill
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, ya

Reviews like this can also be found on my blog, Vicariously & Voraciously

With the shadow game over, Enne & Levi are both wanted for murder. Now they must not only survive not getting caught, but they need to build (or rebuild) successful gangs on the north side of New Reynes. Gambling with everything they have may bring on their downfall, but may also gain them freedom from the one who basically owns them.

The Story-
I was so happy to be in this world! I love how the story has become so much more

• The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After a double life as an accountant preparing taxes for multinational corporations, she now spends her free time brewing and fermenting foods much more easily obtained at her local grocery store. She lives in Boston, MA with a hoard of books guarded by the most vicious of feline companions, Jelly Bean.

She is the auth

The Shadow Game (3 books)
  • Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
  • Queen of Volts (The Shadow Game, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Don’t you just hate that feeling of falling head over heels for a new series...and then having to wait anxiously (sometimes for years!) for...
“It didn't matter whether she decked herself in knives or pearls. The world would always demand that a girl apologize for herself, but she would apologize for nothing.” 9 likes
“Because the hero of one story is the villain of someone else's. It's all just a matter of who wins.” 9 likes